A Guide to Accents

Sagwort

Incredible work as always Sagwort. 

be a good asian and go back to homework borchadonger

Oh man, this is amazing. Def going to speak with a cockney accent now. V in-depth +1

2 hours ago, Sagwort said:

Vocabulary

Do = “Dost"

Are = “Art"

Hello = “Good morrow”, “Good den”

Good bye = “Anon”, “Fare thee well”

Please = “Prithee”

Hey! = “Hark!”

Alas = “Alack”

Soon = “Anon”

Truthfully = “Forsooth”

Please tell me = “Pray tell”

Very = “Verily”

Here = “Hither”

Unless = “Lest”

Nothing = “Naught”

There = “Thither”

Where, from where = “Whence”

PCQJ2ETgzvGmekocaPuFuPPL1noO4D5M47jCUE3rHSQ2ob1r2M8cYCOG970-a4EghbLcFR7DoiYBoRBdJigJuzhS0wjS5Rj9vdOlClfi32TFs0FZoRA9XGQdu0gM-is44xFvbYg

I needed this my senior year of highschool two years ago when I read Hammy let. :^)

And this is a pretty damn good guide, thank you for such.

4 hours ago, Sagwort said:

The “uh” and “oh” sound in “cup”, “love”, and “stone” becomes “coop”, “loove” and “stoone”.  This is a very rough phonetic spelling and not exact.

I almost fell over when I first heard a Durhamite pronounce "lunch". It's closer to "lynch" than a normal "bunch".

But to be rather honest, I can easily get annoyed by accents in roleplay. I find it completely pointless after a point to write sentences like "Ach, ja zhe zawoiardz a kommin." because it's just a paint for the eyes and five seconds deducted from RP spent trying to figure out the meaning whereas characters would probably be comfortable understanding these. I always prefer a simple 'XY spoke in a butchered savoyard accent. "Right, what're you doing here?" '.

This is quite useful, thank you.

5 hours ago, Sagwort said:

Bristolian

B  R  I  S  T  O  L
R
I
S
T
O
L

5 hours ago, Sagwort said:

Dialect

• Use “ain’t”.
  • Use doubles negatives such as “I didn’t see nofing!”
  • Use “me” instead of “my”.  So “I’m going to walk me dog.”
  • Instead of saying “we were” say “we was”.  For instance, “When we was…”

"In'it" instead of "isn't it" and "Alright mi luvvar" are pretty essential for Bristolian. 

Not to put the work down at all, but it's also plausible to emote your character having an accent and leaving it up to another player's interpretation/imagination. Probably saves a lot of confusion too.

Dear people with Auvergnian accents. Replacing W sounds with V sounds, is a german thing, not french. Th sounds to S or Z sounds, however, are completely correct.