[Shelved][Rune Lore Addition] Flesh Runes 2.0

chaotikal

So I guess the mission is to find a doom forge character who still plays and can teach the magic.

Just now, Hiebe said:

So I guess the mission is to find a doom forge character who still plays and can teach the magic.

I play.

1 hour ago, Dtrik said:

Same. The Doomforged are rarely seen to be actual dwarves. Just dark elves with dwarvish heritage, waaaaaaaaaay back when they were first made. The dwarven community rarely sees a Doomforged, let alone one willing to rp in dwarvish areas. The Doomforged will just recycle their magic users making sure no one besides a dark elf or inactive doomforged, knows the magic. It would be better for experienced runesmithes to be able to discover it too as to make it so one community, one that is very distant from the community they are attempting to label themselves as, cannot have sole control. There needs to be an event or something along those lines, that allows those who already have the capability of creating active runes, to be able to learn and use the magic.

Doesn't sound like a very good idea, other than for the sake of "**** it". The magic has existed and now that I'm actually re-posting it for reimplementation, you suddenly gain interest in that "IT IS EVERYONE'S RIGHT!" or something? I've never once stated in the post that I'm closing this magic to one clan. And if you've read the lore through, you actually do need the Doom Forge to create these runes, as normal Runesmithing tools do not channel the magic, this doesn't mean closing the magic, it just means I don't want it to be a very broad magic, like Runesmithing is, it is a very small subtype with lots of thematical values, and mainly aimed at those who seek this type of character development. Simply giving it to every runesmith because "so" makes it trivial and takes away all that is thematically inherent with it's lore and how it works and was created.

3 hours ago, Chaotikal said:

and most certainly only kept around Dwarves.

This is what angers me only, really. No magic should ever be race locked.

"Dwarves need something special" is a **** excuse as well, dont use it.

About frickin' time. I joke

I'll send you a pm about the Doom Forge.

9 hours ago, Fury_Fire said:

This is what angers me only, really. No magic should ever be race locked.

"Dwarves need something special" is a **** excuse as well, dont use it.

Given the scope of the magic is that much smaller than most magics on the server, I'm comfortable with it remaining solely around Dwarves, bigger magics haven't had any issues remaining isolated, like Fi', Shamanism and Muun'Trivazja.

1 hour ago, Chaotikal said:

Given the scope of the magic is that much smaller than most magics on the server, I'm comfortable with it remaining solely around Dwarves, bigger magics haven't had any issues remaining isolated, like Fi', Shamanism and Muun'Trivazja.

Fi' is a meme, shamanism is at least possible to achieve. And I made a nice fancy lore post allowing Muun'Trivazja to be learned by other races. The current users just havent taught anyone at all yet and it triggers me

I personally strongly dislike magics which are deliberately kept in a circle-jerky manner, for lack of a better term. I think it takes away from roleplay, more than adding to it. Magics kept only to one specific race sometimes makes sense, although it very rarely does in my opinion. I think this is interesting, and has potential. But if it's to the point where only a select few can do it, expect lots of criticism and issues arising I would think. I do love the lore though, and would like to see this introduced, implemented, and used in RP. 

3 hours ago, Corvoo said:

I personally strongly dislike magics which are deliberately kept in a circle-jerky manner, for lack of a better term. I think it takes away from roleplay, more than adding to it. Magics kept only to one specific race sometimes makes sense, although it very rarely does in my opinion. I think this is interesting, and has potential. But if it's to the point where only a select few can do it, expect lots of criticism and issues arising I would think. I do love the lore though, and would like to see this introduced, implemented, and used in RP. 

Dwarves thrive on their depth of lore, moreso than any other race, it doesn't only make sense for their arcane knowledge to be kept locked, it is one of the pillars that makes Dwarves Dwarves. Sharing is caring does not apply to Dwarves, most definetly when it defies their identiy. And given the abusing and thwarting that happened to Golemancy when it was given to High Elves and spread out to other races; I'm confident in my reasoning for this to be kept within Dwarves. Not that if one student of this magic goes rogue and teaches other races would affect me ICly. But I aim for this magic to initially and hopefully persistently remain within Dwarves.

I really like the lore. But it doesn't really fit in calling it a runesmithing sub-type. From what I can tell it has nothing to do with runesmithing and follows none of the same principles of it other than using thanhic chalk to trace the rune out. As for the dwarves "Suddenly gaining interest" I've been talking with a few staff members for a while about getting flesh smithing re-implimented into the server as a sub-type of runesmithing. However locking it down to a "Doom Forge" (Whatever that is) it exactly how golemancy got locked down with the golem anvil. It limits the amount of people that can use the magic down to those the holder of the "Forge" trusts and quickly gets locked down with a too good to use complex just as the golem anvil was before it got scrapped. 

25 minutes ago, Chaotikal said:

Dwarves thrive on their depth of lore, moreso than any other race, it doesn't only make sense for their arcane knowledge to be kept locked, it is one of the pillars that makes Dwarves Dwarves. Sharing is caring does not apply to Dwarves, most definetly when it defies their identiy. And given the abusing and thwarting that happened to Golemancy when it was given to High Elves and spread out to other races; I'm confident in my reasoning for this to be kept within Dwarves. Not that if one student of this magic goes rogue and teaches other races would affect me ICly. But I aim for this magic to initially and hopefully persistently remain within Dwarves.

If you are so pro-dwarves having it above other races, why are you anti-runesmith? If only about 3 1/2 dwarves know runesmithing, why can they not learn it through trial and error? Why does it have to be with Doomforged? Why does it have to center around Doomforged? Why does it not center itself around dwarves if it is suppose to bring them rp?

2 hours ago, EPICBEAST6209 said:

I really like the lore. But it doesn't really fit in calling it a runesmithing sub-type. From what I can tell it has nothing to do with runesmithing and follows none of the same principles of it other than using thanhic chalk to trace the rune out. As for the dwarves "Suddenly gaining interest" I've been talking with a few staff members for a while about getting flesh smithing re-implimented into the server as a sub-type of runesmithing. However locking it down to a "Doom Forge" (Whatever that is) it exactly how golemancy got locked down with the golem anvil. It limits the amount of people that can use the magic down to those the holder of the "Forge" trusts and quickly gets locked down with a too good to use complex just as the golem anvil was before it got scrapped. 

It is not part of the runesmithing system as it is currently, but it is a subtype of Runesmithing, simply alternate to the current one. And you require the Doomforge to craft the tools to carve the rune, you don't exactly need it for any and all runes, you just need it to craft the runes.

2 hours ago, Dtrik said:

If you are so pro-dwarves having it above other races, why are you anti-runesmith? If only about 3 1/2 dwarves know runesmithing, why can they not learn it through trial and error? Why does it have to be with Doomforged? Why does it have to center around Doomforged? Why does it not center itself around dwarves if it is suppose to bring them rp?

I'm not anti-runesmith, I believe that giving it to everyone who has learnt runesmithing and not flesh runes just for the sake of giving these runes would make it trivial, I believe if you want to learn Flesh Runes. It centers around Doomforged because that's how the lore came to be, in roleplay that's how we found the Runes ourselves in Asulon, in roleplay. And it doesn't bring much roleplay in the sense of a crafting magic, it is a very indepth lore tool inherited from Asulon, a relic from the past Dervamar. Flesh runes are not meant to be an everyday RP source, as is explained, but I have a feeling you didn't really read through the post... Flesh Runes are a thematic knowledge, with them having many non-combat oriented functions and mainly serve as a roleplay catalyst and roleplay motif, than the role standard Runesmithing serve, that is to form a guild relationship of knowledge-student-master. Basically, Flesh runes are a minor roleplay addition, not the behemoth of roleplay you're trying to make them appear.

Just now, Chaotikal said:

It is not part of the runesmithing system as it is currently, but it is a subtype of Runesmithing, simply alternate to the current one. And you require the Doomforge to craft the tools to carve the rune, you don't exactly need it for any and all runes, you just need it to craft the runes.

I'm not anti-runesmith, I believe that giving it to everyone who has learnt runesmithing and not flesh runes just for the sake of giving these runes would make it trivial, I believe if you want to learn Flesh Runes. It centers around Doomforged because that's how the lore came to be, in roleplay that's how we found the Runes ourselves in Asulon, in roleplay. And it doesn't bring much roleplay in the sense of a crafting magic, it is a very indepth lore tool inherited from Asulon, a relic from the past Dervamar. Flesh runes are not meant to be an everyday RP source, as is explained, but I have a feeling you didn't really read through the post... Flesh Runes are a thematic knowledge, with them having many non-combat oriented functions and mainly serve as a roleplay catalyst and roleplay motif, than the role standard Runesmithing serve, that is to form a guild relationship of knowledge-student-master. Basically, Flesh runes are a minor roleplay addition, not the behemoth of roleplay you're trying to make them appear.

And why does this catalyst of roleplay have to center around doomforged again? Just because the old lore was created around your clan does not mean it should be guild locked to your clan. Can this catalyst of rp not transition itself to mainstream dwarves? Not dark dwarves with their entire rp and mechanics focused into an entirely different land/culture.

12 minutes ago, Dtrik said:

And why does this catalyst of roleplay have to center around doomforged again? Just because the old lore was created around your clan does not mean it should be guild locked to your clan. Can this catalyst of rp not transition itself to mainstream dwarves? Not dark dwarves with their entire rp and mechanics focused into an entirely different land/culture.

Doomforged's entire RP and Culture is that of Urguan, including their homeland, which is Urguan. And also, you totally read past my point. This isn't a major ROLEPLAY CATALYST, this is a very minor roleplay feature, mostly thematic, which is why I believe it shouldn't go trivial such as to be given to everyone "because so".

I sense some biasedness in this post, since you have been a doomforged for a while.  Though I must say, this is not runesmithing.  No where in the post does it say you use your runic tools, and more or less it is just using a dagger to carve a picture into someone's flesh.  Perhaps change it to where it is actually runesmithing, and not another art.

Then why is it called "flesh runes"? 

Also, by your words this is literally locked to the Doomforged clan.  They are the only ones who possess the anvil.

Just now, arockstar28 said:

I sense some biasedness in this post, since you have been a doomforged for a while.  Though I must say, this is not runesmithing.  No where in the post does it say you use your runic tools, and more or less it is just using a dagger to carve a picture into someone's flesh.  Perhaps change it to where it is actually runesmithing, and not another art.

Then why is it called "flesh runes"? 

Also, by your words this is literally locked to the Doomforged clan.  They are the only ones who possess the anvil.

At first, yes, it's only known to the Doomforged, which I'd intend for it to open up gradually, and it's an older form of Runes, from the first system. While these runes never got affected by the retcon of the old system, as they functioned sideways, these still are "runes" in that they are enscriptions that posess power.