[Shelved]Phantoms of Men

Swgrclan

This submission had been added to this weeks Loremag, and voting will now commence.

Expect a result within 4-5 days.

(P.S: You suck.)

Honestly don't quite understand the point of making this an addition to official lore. The writing is on point and concise (which I can appreciate) but that doesn't really mean it's "good" for anyone except the inevitably small circle of players who will get their hands on the ability.

At best it's irrelevant and kept to a select group of players within the typical clique. At worst, it's overused and is more of a novelty "get out of being PK'd mechanic" (not that we need any more of those in a reality that the monks still exist) from what I understand.

but since it's probably going to be approved anyway:

What happens if this was used on an individual with a shade parasite? Does it have no effect, does it split the malignant personality onto a phantom of it's own? Would the others retain the Shade parasite (if not the magic?)  Read it through twice and didn't quite catch on.

Are Phantoms only playable by the owner of the original character? Could multiple individuals play Phantoms of the same character?

22 hours ago, koko haram said:

Honestly don't quite understand the point of making this an addition to official lore. The writing is on point and concise (which I can appreciate) but that doesn't really mean it's "good" for anyone except the inevitably small circle of players who will get their hands on the ability.

At best it's irrelevant and kept to a select group of players within the typical clique. At worst, it's overused and is more of a novelty "get out of being PK'd mechanic" (not that we need any more of those in a reality that the monks still exist) from what I understand.

but since it's probably going to be approved anyway:

What happens if this was used on an individual with a shade parasite? Does it have no effect, does it split the malignant personality onto a phantom of it's own? Would the others retain the Shade parasite (if not the magic?)  Read it through twice and didn't quite catch on.

Are Phantoms only playable by the owner of the original character? Could multiple individuals play Phantoms of the same character?

Like the Curses of Iblees, the parasite would experience a fragmenting itself and would go into a dormancy that prevents the use of its powers or any actual effects from it. It is inferred, however, that the influence of the Shade itself may effect the vestiges of each Phantom, as the individuals holding said Shades may undergo psychological alterations and damages from hosting such an entity. I could probably elaborate on what the presence of a Shade would do in the event of Liturgy completion, but it isn't necessary at the moment.

As for your initial statement... I'm not discerning much from what you're saying besides "wtf why do these mages who use magic get to use this magical ritual in order to procure a magical effect?" It must be understood that not everyone should be able to be able to do the same thing, and that individuals like mages are able to achieve these extraneous abilities because they are defined to have abilities distinctly differential to everyone else.

By all means, anyone can have a chance to learn this ritual- but first, if Philippe the Amyas Knight or Wilber the Wood Elf want to split into three people in an act similar to cell reproduction, they must take the necessary risks and make an attempt to learn what is required. There is no problem with a smaller population of people being able to do this alone. It just means that people need to join them if they want to do it too.

1 hour ago, Swgrclan said:

Like the Curses of Iblees, the parasite would experience a fragmenting itself and would go into a dormancy that prevents the use of its powers or any actual effects from it. It is inferred, however, that the influence of the Shade itself may effect the vestiges of each Phantom, as the individuals holding said Shades may undergo psychological alterations and damages from hosting such an entity. I could probably elaborate on what the presence of a Shade would do in the event of Liturgy completion, but it isn't necessary at the moment.

As for your initial statement... I'm not discerning much from what you're saying besides "wtf why do these mages who use magic get to use this magical ritual in order to procure a magical effect?" It must be understood that not everyone should be able to be able to do the same thing, and that individuals like mages are able to achieve these extraneous abilities because they are defined to have abilities distinctly differential to everyone else.

By all means, anyone can have a chance to learn this ritual- but first, if Philippe the Amyas Knight or Wilber the Wood Elf want to split into three people in an act similar to cell reproduction, they must take the necessary risks and make an attempt to learn what is required. There is no problem with a smaller population of people being able to do this alone. It just means that people need to join them if they want to do it too.

Appreciate the clarification.

As for the first statement, my only issue is that these things are inevitably end up dead or held onto by one or two individuals (almost always the creator of the lore) and used as bargaining chips & yet another reason there's such a stark divide between people in "in" groups and independent players. 

It's more of a "why bother approving more masturbatory lore that does nothing for the community at large?" 

Suppose that if others can learn it without education by holders of the magic, I don't have too much of an issue with it. As long as it isn't held in a vice grip by yet another small assembly of players one could assume there isn't much of a pressing issue with it. Also, please don't try to mistake concerns with it's potential use with a problem about mages - it detracts from the point and really contributes nothing to the discussion. 

1 hour ago, Swgrclan said:

There is no problem with a smaller population of people being able to do this alone. It just means that people need to join them if they want to do it too.

I think there's an inherent issue with granting a select group of players the ability to spread something at their will. Much like the (((Darkstalker))) ritual, it'll almost always be kept to said friend group and kept under tight guard. If this were distributed to several groups (or openly available via reasearch, which is what I'm garnering from your prior statement) - instead of one or several select parties from the same circles, I think it'd be much less pointless.

1 minute ago, koko haram said:

Appreciate the clarification.

As for the first statement, my only issue is that these things are inevitably end up dead or held onto by one or two individuals (almost always the creator of the lore) and used as bargaining chips & yet another reason there's such a stark divide between people in "in" groups and independent players. 

It's more of a "why bother approving more masturbatory lore that does nothing for the community at large?" 

Suppose that if others can learn it without education by holders of the magic, I don't have too much of an issue with it. As long as it isn't held in a vice grip by yet another small assembly of players one could assume there isn't much of a pressing issue with it. Also, please don't try to mistake concerns with it's potential use with a problem about mages - it detracts from the point and really contributes nothing to the discussion. 

I think there's an inherent issue with granting a select group of players the ability to spread something at their will. Much like the (((Darkstalker))) ritual, it'll almost always be kept to said friend group and kept under tight guard. If this were distributed to several groups (or openly available via reasearch, which is what I'm garnering from your prior statement) - instead of one or several select parties from the same circles, I think it'd be much less pointless.

I apologize, I must have misinterpreted your prior statements. Yeah, I tried to implement a system where the Liturgy wouldn't be so confined by allowing several magic groups (which could very much host a large sum of players) to learn it, so the Shades or Necromancers or the Fi' Mages or whoever hypothetically got it first wouldn't keep an iron grip on it's secrets. I plan to actively moniter the spread of the Liturgy which, unlike the Darkstalker ritual you mentioned, won't be as coveted as the creation of Darkstalkers themselves. Though Darkstalkers are another matter, as their origin is intentionally kept secret on behalf of IC beliefs. 

Just now, Swgrclan said:

I apologize, I must have misinterpreted your prior statements. Yeah, I tried to implement a system where the Liturgy wouldn't be so confined by allowing several magic groups (which could very much host a large sum of players) to learn it, so the Shades or Necromancers or the Fi' Mages or whoever hypothetically got it first wouldn't keep an iron grip on it's secrets. I plan to actively moniter the spread of the Liturgy which, unlike the Darkstalker ritual you mentioned, won't be as coveted as the creation of Darkstalkers themselves. Though Darkstalkers are another matter, as their origin is intentionally kept secret on behalf of IC beliefs. 

Glad to hear some forward thinking progress going on!

In that case, +1 from me - not as if it really means much, but as long as there's the chance of good RP coming from this I'm not one to argue that lore should be denied solely based off of the community it appeals to. Though there're still quite a few more lock and key rituals out there, one less is a step forward in my book.

((( approve nephilim )))

- Phantoms may only practice one form of magic.

Image result for internal screaming kermit gif

Reminds me of the webcomic Live With Yourself. 

343m1e8.png

Anyways, very good read, and very interesting lore. 

Lore has been shelved and moved to the appropriate subforum. This is part of our movement to shelve creatures that are either inactive or have been deemed unnecessary. This is a soft shelf and people with a CA will still be able to play their character, however no new creatures tied to this lore may be created. If you have questions about why this specific lore has been shelved, please contact me via forum PM or over discord at Flamboyant#8856