Elven Origins: Wood Elves

WuHanXianShi14

10 hours ago, 吳憾戰士14 said:

You know this is the elven map and all subraces are going to have their lore fleshed out, right? I'm working with Dak on the dark elves soon. Every subrace wants (and the high elves already have) an origin story and we plan on giving it to them.

To be fair man, what we have isn't even a quarter as in-depth as what you wrote. I'm more in line with Sky on this; I can see how it would stifle creativity down the line if you flesh out ancient stuff to this degree. Admittedly that's pretty hypocritical coming from me, since I'm the one who wrote the one lore-approved thing for the high elves (which is inconsistent with your account, but I don't blame you, because even I can't find the stupid post in that useless archive) but it doesn't come close to this. What I set in stone for all high elves was (if memory serves):

-Larihei existed and may/may not have been on the High Council of Malinor.

-The Golden pools were a thing that existed.
-Bathing for centuries in the golden pools made them blond, smart, and arrogant.
-Larihei buggered off to Asulon with a bunch of her mates, but an equal number stayed behind and lots of them lived with the other elves. 

-High Elves like arcane magic probably.

That's basically what I wrote. Literally an origin story. But in this you describe events, names, families, wars, architecture, and culture. It's very well written, but too well written. I don't feel comfortable with this amount of information on the wood elves set in stone. It leaves little leeway for future projects. Sorry, dude. I can't support it.

1 hour ago, Mithradites said:

What do you mean 'leeway for future projects', how does having a bunch of history to draw from detract from any projects potential? (Especially since before this we literally had nothing). There needs to be a canonized history to follow or wood elf racial events will just be various ET making stuff up inconsistently from event to event.

Despite it's length this lore post only details the largest major events of the wood elves history. There's literally thousands of years of filler in which any number of things could have happened (If you actually read it and saw the footnote at the end of Chapter 2 you'd realize this), so I'm not buying your argument.

If this is about the wood elves suddenly having a more fleshed out and developed history than the other races... have you SEEN what the Oren vet players have? Pages upon pages of genealogy and history and **** I couldn't hope to match. And it's a bit petty if your attitude is "If we don't have it, you can't have it either". Like, GO OUT AND WRITE YOUR RACE'S HISTORY. MAKE IT AS IN-DEPTH AS MINE. NO ONE IS STOPPING YOU. HELL, IT'S MY JOB TO HELP YOU AND SUPPORT MAKING IT CANON.

I'm going to be sitting down with Dakirennis and helping him flesh out dark elf lore some time in the next few days. If any other faction leaders (dwarves, orcs, oren, etc) want to sit down with me or any other LT and develop THEIR racial lore they can, and I will do my utmost to help them develop it so it can be made canon, since my main purpose on the LT is to help faction leaders and group culture writers have more of a say in the server lore.

But it's on YOU to put the effort in to write your history. Don't try to shoot me down because I wrote mine and you don't want me to have more than you.

12 hours ago, Time Lady of Kittens said:

gonna -1 this too... I like that you want to bring this more to giving the wood elves more concrete lore, but tbh, its kinda at this point redundant. The wood elves have a very interesting history as it is, much of it spreading past the years I have been here. I currently feel this is just a way to make you and your friends feel more grandure. I believe if the LMs make this a thing, then they need to allow the players make lore for every subrace. I hope you do not take offense. I just feel it is unneeded, and if accepted, the LMs need to be more accepting to other subraces.

this is not at all a shout out to darkies who been tryin to have their own back lore accepted for years

Jade, nothing is stopping the nations and races you are related and roleplay in from writing their own fine origin story like Mr LeoWarrior here, just because you or your associates can't write as well as Leo, doesn't mean you have to downgrade his post like lower class dog food. +1 from me

I love the lore that Leo has written here, about time we got more history for the races. Leo's intentions for the lore is not for him and his friends only, this is a lore that can greatly help the wood elf playerbase as a whole and actually helps give more in depth regarding the race. Just a side note but any player is welcome to write lore for their nations and race, especially origins and history. You have the keyboard in front of you, you have the basics of the lore avaliable, you even have the LMs there to answer any questions you have which can help your lore. Those are your building blocks and you are the builder. Do not just complain onto other posts, stating you have less lore, etc. Actually do something regarding such.

Nevertheless,

+1 from me.

4 hours ago, 吳憾戰士14 said:

If this is about the wood elves suddenly having a more fleshed out and developed history than the other races... have you SEEN what the Oren vet players have? Pages upon pages of genealogy and history and **** I couldn't hope to match. And it's a bit petty if your attitude is "If we don't have it, you can't have it either". Like, GO OUT AND WRITE YOUR RACE'S HISTORY. MAKE IT AS IN-DEPTH AS MINE. NO ONE IS STOPPING YOU. HELL, IT'S MY JOB TO HELP YOU AND SUPPORT MAKING IT CANON.

I'll be the one to say that the argument of what Orenian vet players have isnt entirely valid. Most of Orenian historical figures that you can find on the wiki or in public access can be tracked down as having been played by an actual player. The vast majority of their historical lore was played out. It wasn't constructed as an after thought.

2 hours ago, El Ricktador said:

I'll be the one to say that the argument of what Orenian vet players have isnt entirely valid. Most of Orenian historical figures that you can find on the wiki or in public access can be tracked down as having been played by an actual player. The vast majority of their historical lore was played out. It wasn't constructed as an after thought.

Yes, it was. Much of Oren's history was not played. From Ancient Ruska, the origins of the Church, and Aeldin.

A great piece of lore, Leo! I'm happy to finally have something to use for more backstory on my wood elven characters! Thanks matey~ +1

As someone who's been there pretty much since the conception of this lore done by Leo, I can personally say that I've seen all the time and effort that's been put into this piece to make it fleshed out. It's definitely made it so the wood elf community has something to define themselves by, and it's been a huge boon. Definitely a +1 from me!

17 hours ago, 吳憾戰士14 said:

What do you mean 'leeway for future projects', how does having a bunch of history to draw from detract from any projects potential? (Especially since before this we literally had nothing). There needs to be a canonized history to follow or wood elf racial events will just be various ET making stuff up inconsistently from event to event.

Despite it's length this lore post only details the largest major events of the wood elves history. There's literally thousands of years of filler in which any number of things could have happened (If you actually read it and saw the footnote at the end of Chapter 2 you'd realize this), so I'm not buying your argument.

I'm going to be sitting down with Dakirennis and helping him flesh out dark elf lore some time in the next few days. If any other faction leaders (dwarves, orcs, oren, etc) want to sit down with me or any other LT and develop THEIR racial lore they can, and I will do my utmost to help them develop it so it can be made canon, since my main purpose on the LT is to help faction leaders and group culture writers have more of a say in the server lore.

But it's on YOU to put the effort in to write your history. Don't try to shoot me down because I wrote mine and you don't want me to have more than you.

We want to sit down with a Dwarf Lore master, or not sit down at all. all LMs that are right now have very little interactions with Dwarves, and we don't want to have to explain it all to a LM before we can get to work, that or just leave us to our devices.

Anyways, your point is bogus, and you didn't read through it, he said that you set too much in stone, like I did. Lore this far back should never be this clear. Things should get incrementally fuzzier as time rolls back. It is not vagueness, it is called letting people make their own ****, which I thought was the deal on the server, and not "Come one come all to roleplay Leowarrior's Wood Elves", as in; I don't want that all wood Elves have to follow this lore, divergences could have happened, but with a lore THIS definite and clear, you don't leave much choice or room for creativity.

13 hours ago, El Ricktador said:

This is true to an extent. The manner in which these came to be was due to retconning things that many players outside the Oren circle believe to be a coup d'etat and, for example, do not believe in the ancientry of House Horen, as Oren was originally an elective monarchy ever since Horen dissapeared, and only became the monarchy it is today via Sultan.

2 hours ago, Chaotikal said:

We want to sit down with a Dwarf Lore master, or not sit down at all. all LMs that are right now have very little interactions with Dwarves, and we don't want to have to explain it all to a LM before we can get to work, that or just leave us to our devices.

Anyways, your point is bogus, and you didn't read through it, he said that you set too much in stone, like I did. Lore this far back should never be this clear. Things should get incrementally fuzzier as time rolls back. It is not vagueness, it is called letting people make their own ****, which I thought was the deal on the server, and not "Come one come all to roleplay Leowarrior's Wood Elves", as in; I don't want that all wood Elves have to follow this lore, divergences could have happened, but with a lore THIS definite and clear, you don't leave much choice or room for creativity.

This is true to an extent. The manner in which these came to be was due to retconning things that many players outside the Oren circle believe to be a coup d'etat and, for example, do not believe in the ancientry of House Horen, as Oren was originally an elective monarchy ever since Horen dissapeared, and only became the monarchy it is today via Sultan.

It's literally ancient lore which happened thousands of years ago and has absolutely no bearing on how current wood elves are supposed to rp their characters. Even if it did people are free not to follow it. It's something for people who rp seed culture to draw from in rp and people who don't can ignore. Like literally how does ancient history control how modern wood elves rp. You and your character can just ignore it or choose not to believe it icly. Boom, probably problem solved. You can be your own man. Once again, don't say WE shouldn't have lore to draw from because you think Said lore oppresses you by existing.

Like youve been pathologically contrarian on everything I do for awhile now. You don't play a wood elf. Even if you did, a piece of lore set thousands of years ago doesn't force you to rp in a certain way. Does high elf lore force all high elves to rp as pure? No there are impures who ignore the lore but that doesn't stop the 'cultural' high elves from drawing from that lore. Everyone gets to choose, no one is oppressed, no one tries to shoot anyone else down out of spite. 

Honestly give it a rest 

Even if you deny this it's already canon like Aeldin.

@Lore Team

4 hours ago, Aerial said:

Even if you deny this it's already canon like Aeldin.

@Lore Team

That's not how that works. You know better.

5 hours ago, Swgrclan said:

That's not how that works. You know better.

Devil's advocate, there's not a whole lot the LT can actually do to stop it if the players want this to be canon. 

Not that I don't think there are some areas where the lore could improve a little. I agree that some aspects of the history should be a little smudgier. For example, the rationale and motive behind the wars fought. Was the Arch Druid really such a bad guy? etc etc.

Leave a little room for controversy. :)

The lore needs working on yes, the wood elves are gonna RP this canon either way (I mean not that we have a choice. There is currently no wood elf ancient history. It's this or nothing). However if it gets denied I'll edit out the parts with Taynei since that lore does not belong to me.