[✓] [Mineral Lore] Magnetus

Luxury

Introduction

Dust hangs in the air in a cavern beneath Galdorcreft College. The figure of a slender elfess stands over several workers, observing their efforts. They toil away with pickaxes in hand carving into the stone beneath the remote institution. Her voice rose above the clinking of the miner’s tools, sending silence across the lantern-lit room.

“Halt.”

She navigated her way towards one of the newer shafts, gesturing a group of workers aside in her approach. Her gaze was trained on an unknown grey mineral, somewhat plain in appearance ; She took a hammer and chisel that was laid nearby and began to harvest the rock and afterward returned to her office to study it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Magnetus

8hwomoCIXh8YdGWXBJEyMWSc11gN04YWzkLdY-Seu-76kb26QfLabp24S_QLYsx42yC5WcjUkfrlkx4C0Ucj2rADigtNUwXVDyjte-JkNZDtzpj2Q1NFf4KVNVgjTYfxPPxbBaYF

Magnetus is a mineral based loosely on the mineral known as Magnetite. This rendition being tailored for Lotc use.

Raw Magnetus is grey in color, semi-metallic, and very dense. It is easily distinguishable by its natural magnetic properties. Magnetus is somewhat scarce, typically found deep in the earth near mountain ranges.

EKHLykHXj5dTyACf9QNiaSW2nAkGLEEfwz66pcKh6BjjzhHmFFSbRMF9AZbJrlz_9eS8-t3_01Vbf1asoVvNvOhvwGjowQCjeCXbv1dMe4RHKD_JCYoo8rvdzYwa1v9jixGeEU2V

Once refined, Magnetus can be used by tinkers and smiths for a variety of things, as it retains its magnetic property. Refined Magnetus is quite durable, but relatively heavy; So much so that so that full suits of armor cannot be feasibly used.

Some additional quirks:

-An active redstone signal de-magnetizes Magnetus, opening up more uses in the engineering field.

-Contact with active mana increases the magnetic strength of Magnetus, making it a nifty tool for arcane engineers as well. Transfigurers and Earth Evokers are able to interact with this directly through their respective methods.

-Materials such as Ferrum, Bluesteel, Carbarum, and Kodeh steel will be attracted to the Magnetus with varying strength. Small pieces having a weak attraction with larger blocks and such having a moderate attraction (The pull is notable, but able to be resisted with some effort). Magically enhanced Magnetus harbors the strongest attraction, forcefully pulling the Metals towards it, or in smaller pieces, itself towards the metal.

Red Lines

-Descendants cannot reasonably don full suits of Magnetus armor, It is too heavy.

-Refined Magnetus operates in a three block radius in larger features such as pillars or blocks.

-Magically enhanced Magnetus operates in a five block radius, maximum.

-Regardless of strength, active redstone always de-magnetizes Magnetus.

-Earth Evokers are only able to manipulate raw Magnetus.

-In cases where magic is involved, the caster is susceptible to the mineral's magnetism as well.

Epilogue

Implementation of this mineral can open an unprecedented avenue of craftsmanship. Magnetism could prove to be immensely useful and offers plenty of room for creativity. Powerful defense installations such as basic metal detectors and magnetized vault doors can be viable with this lore.

Special thanks to Cooliomafia for assistance with conception, and Toxzero for offering some pointers.

4 hours ago, Sagwort said:

What about calling it a lodestone?

Technically it is based more on lodestone, I suppose. 

The current name seems to work fine for now.

I support this and the potential RP that can occur if this is added. +1

1 hour ago, Whimsylicious said:

Magentic locks and other lorebreaking attempts irp incoming.

your always so negative. Mayb u should be more positive. 

haha get it

magnets 

hahahahahahahahahaha

time to become magneto

+1

Can a team of master engineers use this to propel ferrum projectiles using redstone signals?

Imagine 3 rings of Magnetus all discharged by redstone.  A projectile sitting on one end on a rail with the rail going through the three rings.  With proper timing, a button wired to repeaters would activate and deactivate each ring in order, pulling the projectile forward.

If so the HIMS Resolution will be armed with magnetic naval guns instead of ballistae!

3 hours ago, Smaw said:

Magnetus, how do they work?

I had hoped to leave this somewhat vague. Once you start trying to apply real world mineralogy to minecraft, things get wonky. Pm me if you'd like to emphasize on what you mean here. I'm sure the function can be kept without stepping on Lotc's established world lore.

Just now, Luxurypoop said:

I had hoped to leave this somewhat vague. Once you start trying to apply real world mineralogy to minecraft, things get wonky. Pm me if you'd like to emphasize on what you mean here. I'm sure the function can be kept without stepping on Lotc's established world lore.

928bc53a695a4e37ca19cb6f5373e8eb.png