Elven Origins: Dark Elves

WuHanXianShi14

I would like to add that if you are going to create origin lore - you do not write in the names of player families.

Although you do say that this should not change how people roleplay their dark elves, you are at the very least giving OOC validation to the claims, existence, and purity of some dark elf families.

This can then evolve into roleplay where it will (even if not consciously) increase the reputation and power of the named families.

Back when I RPed my dark elf, I created a line of families which had their own 'supposed' lore as to where they came from etc. It fits this lore by changing some names/events and essentially subjective elements of the lore.

I'm sure Des'nox and Oussana can have their own lore which fits this, and they probably do because this literally names them...

Again, for the sake of keeping this lore open to interpretation and roleplay safe from monopolisation by lore-validated players - it would be best not to have family names in it.

1 hour ago, Lego XBOX said:

I would like to add that if you are going to create origin lore - you do not write in the names of player families.

Although you do say that this should not change how people roleplay their dark elves, you are at the very least giving OOC validation to the claims, existence, and purity of some dark elf families.

This can then evolve into roleplay where it will (even if not consciously) increase the reputation and power of the named families.

Back when I RPed my dark elf, I created a line of families which had their own 'supposed' lore as to where they came from etc. It fits this lore by changing some names/events and essentially subjective elements of the lore.

I'm sure Des'nox and Oussana can have their own lore which fits this, and they probably do because this literally names them...

Again, for the sake of keeping this lore open to interpretation and roleplay safe from monopolisation by lore-validated players - it would be best not to have family names in it.

Giving current clans a cameo in ancient history adds a nice touch imo. Makes ancient lore more relevant in day to day RP, which is my main goal. If you'd like, I can add your family into this lore.

To be fair, I agree with lego. When I started a darkie, i knew of the trinity. They were famous as the "first darkies" where des'nox at the time was just barely around as anything more than a single dark elf protecting the Oussana matriarch. Heck, even my original Dark elf (Laila) has origin lore that now ties in with another older family (Vindicruit) due to my creation of Ker wolves. Just a thought. Keeping names out lets each player have their own lore that can tie to this easier.

The ambiguous "each lore for every Dark Elf" method has set this subrace back a concrete origin for a long time, and this will solve that issue. The involvement of family names allows for a familiarity that connects the past to the present, and mostly only by title alone.

Now that more people are starting to say it. I also agree that no names of any modern families should be in a lore being advertised through the title as an official story or origin. I can understand for the mali'ame since there is no active competition against the current mali'ame establishment. The same cannot be said about Ker'nor.

They have an active playerbase acting as an alternative location for dark elves.

If I hadn't lost my tinfoil hat, I'd also say that mentioning the Ker'nor groups only is a sly attempt to undermine my playerbase.

28 minutes ago, El Ricktador said:

Now that more people are starting to say it. I also agree that no names of any modern families should be in a lore being advertised through the title as an official story or origin. I can understand for the mali'ame since there is no active competition against the current mali'ame establishment. The same cannot be said about Ker'nor.

They have an active playerbase acting as an alternative location for dark elves.

If I hadn't lost my tinfoil hat, I'd also say that mentioning the Ker'nor groups only is a sly attempt to undermine my playerbase.

You may take off your tinfoil hat. As I offered to Lego, I will add in your group to the history. As it stands, the only presence modern day clans have in the OP is "they were formed around this time, and existed".

Also, my thoughts echo Swgr's.

Just now, 吳憾戰士14 said:

You may take off your tinfoil hat. As I offered to Lego, I will add in your group to the history. As it stands, the only presence modern day clans have in the OP is "they were formed around this time, and existed".

Also, my thoughts echo Swgr's.

I'd rather that all the groups are excluded from ancient history. If you are serious about adding us in then just PM me and let me know where the best points in your lore are that would allow the Warhawkes to be most easily implemented.

Just now, El Ricktador said:

I'd rather that all the groups are excluded from ancient history but if you are serious about adding us in. PM me and let me know where the best points in lore are that would allow the Warhawkes to be most easily implemented.

That's not really fair lol. I'll add your clan in with the rest if you like, but I'm not excluding everyone else because you don't want anyone to be there. I'm just going to add in your clan (Taloha?) in the single sentence everyone elses' clan is mentioned in. The part that mentions the bloodlines were formed during this time.

43 minutes ago, 吳憾戰士14 said:

That's not really fair lol. I'll add your clan in with the rest if you like, but I'm not excluding everyone else because you don't want anyone to be there. I'm just going to add in your clan (Taloha?) in the single sentence everyone elses' clan is mentioned in. The part that mentions the bloodlines were formed during this time.

More than one sentence in fact.
https://gyazo.com/16a83f7827318908cd034ab23b44f538
https://gyazo.com/52f2158f1ea6c4243e26db338cc5fd5b

But your terms are solid so yeah, sure. Just include Taloha in the list if you want.

Since we've basically made the decision that "everyone" will be included into this, can the mentions have a little bit more effort put into them? I remember you mentioning wanting the LT to work with the players to construct lore for groups. So work with me and Lego. I feel very intentionally left out of this integral aspect of my only race that I have ever played and led groups in because of OOC disagreements and strife.

Even a few paragraphs of the Oussana, Des'nox, Taloha, and (Lego's Family) just talking to each other/saying good byes before getting on their individual boats to sail to Aegis would be cool. We can even get together and RP it all out in a Skype chat if you want.

Anyways, my main argument with the lore was simply that those families were mentioned and they were not even mentioned in a way in which they were integral or added anything to the lore. They were literally just little mentions that almost appeared to be attempts at sneaking them in. Otherwise, it's good and I apologize if you were bothered by me arguing with you about your lore in the thread.

Just now, El Ricktador said:

Anyways, my main argument with the lore was simply that those families were mentioned and they were not even mentioned in a way in which they were integral to the lore.

Yeah, that was the point haha. I wanted to just give them cameos, a bit of a shoutout, i.e "yeah, they existed!" Giving them any significant important role in dark elf history would have been validating one dark elf faction and invalidating another, hence why I kept their presence small.

If you and the other darkie leaders can agree on events that happened in your clan history, you can write a submission, or I can add it in briefly in this lore. All the power to you.

I'm not sure why the inclusion of some clans suggests that all current prominent ones should be involved or mentioned. It's not as if it gives any IC standing -- this lore explains the origins of Dark Elves and allows for their most core identity to persist just as lore for the Wood Elves allows theirs to. The inclusion or exclusion of names matters little other than to involve familiarity from cameos. 

It may seem as a simple cameo, but when there is active or passive competition between families - being mentioned in origin lore is likely to give at least an OOC justification to one other's cause... This is especially the case when the competition stems because of the different interpretations of lore.

If Leo is happy to add the other major families into the lore, then that's fine - but not having any name would be better.

'My family' is the Dark Trinity group of dark elves, including Klaren, Shadeleaf and Nightheart.

Leo, I understand why you and dak and the others want your "names" in here, but think of it this way. It brings a stigma with it. Sure they get all the praise for being "the first darkies" in a way, thus gives them more ooc power to be exclusive or, to be blunt, "I am from the best family there ever was" ideology. Yeah, Oussana was fun to play. Yeah being a Des'nox is fun. But to be quite honest, this doesnt need names. Its why I disliked your wood elf lore. All adding names does, truly, is gives your egos a nice rub and make you seem bigger than you are. I say strike the names, leave it open for interpretation. Or, if you want to add names, why not add in Devloy (or whatever the fam is), Shadeleaf, Flormai, Kemeki (sorry cant spell it), and Bloodseeker. There is some names that have been part of darkie history for ages.

TL:DR: Remove names or add all names of noteable families, stop showing favoritism

23 minutes ago, Time Lady of Kittens said:

TL:DR: Remove names or add all names of noteable families, stop showing favoritism

Already added everyone who requested their clan be added by the time you wrote this post lol