HedgeHug

[✗] The need for Fresh Meat

Greetings Lord of the Craftians,

No 'Ug bruddah', friends of Malin or memes here. For I adress thee as a community of fellow rp nerds. Following few posts and a growing concern of my side I bring forth a question that is of great importance to this community in past, present and future. For its answer determines its effectivity and enjoyability.

"How much effort is put, in the advertisement of the Lord of the Craft server. What do we do, what can we do and what should we do in order to expand our playerbase?"

To elaborate as to why I am asking this question

As of late we all see fewer and fewer new folks join. Those I do see make applications of sometimes phenomenal quality, however a simple command ingame shows they never stayed for long. How I view it, and you may correct me if I am terribly wrong: the LotC playerbase consists of about 200 to 300 'active' players. By 'active' I imply those that log on at least once every two or three days. 

Now, I know for a fact people will whine and refer back to the grand scandal of the 'duckening' where an inept / badly chosen youtuber was poorly guided onto the server followed by a mass of 12 year olds that never actually joined. Some will say 'more is not better' and I agree. But neither is LotC dying.

I want to see more fresh meat. More new players that don't have full understanding of everything that our lore encompasses. More players that fulfill the basic roles in nations. More players that are guided by those with experience and yes... this will come paired with more edge. But what's the problem with that? We need more numbers active, for it pains me to see such a wonderful community suffer. Seeing 40 people online when I wake up, and only 90 when I go to bed. 

We need more fresh meat.

How can we accomplish?

so... we are facing an obstacle here. We need to find lucrative ways to advertise lord of the craft as a server. Systems in place to help guide new players to learn the concept of minecraft roleplay, our lore (basics) and how to get started.

We need fresh Ideas... we need people to come together and discuss and think of this. We need PR, Marketing. 

So, Lord of the Craftians: I ask thee. What should we as a community do to grow?

EDIT:

The following is proposed:

- An Lord of the Craft Reddit (With active oversight and active posts)

- Youtube promotion, contests that will rewards good youtube content made. (Community spotlights, interviews, weekly updates (BGBuster has been idle, and we seek a replacement for the LotC Vlog!!!, cinematics or guides!!!)

Here is what I have made for LotC so far:

Spoiler

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A655-KLHu8w -  guide on how to join LotC, made in mid/end Vailor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ViSZCOJSq34 - orenian village (Cinematic)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UL1dWe62Tqg - orc promo #1 (Cinematic)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wX_J0amnk4A - halfling promo (Cinematic)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5ACHBHz0YE - orc promo #2 (Short)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOLqMg1A5DM - orc promo #3 (Cinematic)

Edited by Hedgehug
Added all my own Youtube Content

Well, it's difficult to discern that; people as a whole are either disinterested in minecraft, or roleplay, and in a lot of cases-- both altogether. I will, however, keep a keen eye on this thread to see if I can aid in any one way. 

I'm too tired to form cohesive sentences..
Though I'm really in support with the ideas posted below regarding doing contests again and what not with rewards, for promoting the server - creative content.

While advertising and getting people to join are important, retaining them is just as important.

No matter how many  5 star reviews and celeb advertisements you get, if the food sucks people won't come back to your restaurant.

While advertising and recruiting methods are looked at, ways to retain players, excite players, make them want to log in the next day, give them a reason to log in again, etc need to be looked at.

Just now, Tahmas said:

We're looking into finding more voting sites, also. I'm a fan of using our social media and getting out there.

Nobody heard a thing, where's the communication

Just now, Tahmas said:

There are also projects in the workings to improve Player Retention, so that should help.

Same same

Just now, Tahmas said:

Media Teams

I on my own operated as content creator and put out more content than the joke that was the MT back then

Just now, Tahmas said:

But hey, I'm telling you now c;

well I can't smell it was made up yesterday ;) and thanks for telling

Tbh We just need our social media stuff to be more active...Seems youtube is how some players are getting attractived to this server..

I know this is about how we should gain new players through the use of advertisement, which is very important as advertisement will help show off the server and be the first thing that catches someone's attention. However, I believe we need to look at what happens when a user has been accepted and is on the server for the first time.

Firstly, do we even have a tutorial area for new people? Where they can learn the commands, how they can emote, how crafting works, etc? Secondly, with the spawn we have now, it's easy to get lost in there and not know where to go, etc.   It's just a mass amount of ruins and trees. Sure, we got hovering words that direct you to where you need to go and such but it does take a while for a new player to arrive at a particular nation. By this time, the user would have had no roleplay with any people and would have grown bored immediately, so they would leave. Now, we get to the nations; the new users who have arrived at the nations would sometimes see roleplay. By sometimes, I mean there are moments where the main cities of nations are empty. Of course, this doesn't apply for Oren or one or two cities where I have seen them active during peak time, but there are some cities where they are empty or just have very few people. A new person will struggle to find roleplay if the nations are empty, causing them to wander more to find it, leading to once again being bored and then leaving. This is one thing we have to combat - Give the players a reason to come back, and ensure they do not get bored.

I have a small proposal that actually helped to keep me engaged on LotC when I first started out.

It's nothing major but it may just help keep new people somewhat engaged when they first come onto the server. If any of you remember the Cloud temple within Athera, we had a tavern (The Drunken Monk - RIP) based right by the path within the Cloud Temple grounds, so we always had new people coming there. From there, the workers at the tavern engaged in roleplay with the new people, as well as giving them advice both rply and oocly, and generally just helping them on their feet. At times, some of the new players got to accompy myself and some of the workers at the tavern on small events that occured at the tavern (Sheeblees. Ah I love that demon sheep.). Sure, the roleplay wasn't top notch quality, but it actually really helped the new players get use to the commands, as well as having a small amount of time to be able to develop their characters and learn about the world. I think it would be nice to have a little area within spawn, close to the entrance, where new players can go into, meet with players who are working there, and actually be able to grow use to the server. Essentially, have a small tavern within the Cloud Temple. I know, this will come with its own drawbacks, such as needing players who are willing to roleplay, or having older players flock to the tavern here and overcrowding the place, etc, but it is useful for new players. The Drunken Monk helped me get use to the server and how everything worked, I'm sure it can work the same here. If anything, I am willing to make a third character who is devoted to being a bartender and helping new people out here.

Kinda like what squirt said, if people dont like the server theyll leave. I only stayed on this server because I had friends to RP with, every game Ive been addicted to is because of playing with friends. RP could be the same, just make friends with new players and theyll stay.

1 hour ago, Tahmas said:

I know effort is being placed into updating the Planet Minecraft, Minecraft Forum and various voting sites that Lord of the Craft uses. We're looking into finding more voting sites, also. I'm a fan of using our social media and getting out there.

Media Teams were permitted and thus far nothing notable has come from them, so trying to promote an entire team with the idea of making content is a little far fetched. It's really down to a collaboration between Players and Staff, to work together in promoting the server and getting the name out there. We can't do it without you lot, and you can't without us.

There are also projects in the workings to improve Player Retention, so that should help.  

Recently a server called CIV Craft made a post on reddit which prompted a surge of new players. Perhaps LOTCs staff could look into reddit and imgur posts that comprehensively cover our history, have some cool cinematics and address each race and the political complications therein?

1 hour ago, Hedgehug said:

mass of 12 year olds

I'll be so happy when I become 13, And this consistent meme won't bother me any longer.

On a more serious note. This server is truly just raw potential, And obviously, A whole bundle of new players would be wonderful; That being said, It's not all about the amount. Some people can give you a day's worth of enjoyable RP, And some player groups are incapable of retaining one's interest for more than thirty minutes. Neither's good or bad, But it shows that quantity doesn't necessarily equals quality in this case. 

I've always had a nice idea in mind for lotc, Only thing that actually restricted me is the lack of precious pixels for land and housing; I wanted to RP in a thriving keep of some sort, With peasants roaming around to fulfill requests of some minor lords, Gossip and secrets constantly moving from mouth to ear, etc. I think that having one or three of those for a few places in human lands, unarguably the community populated with the vast majority of new players. Let them go into a place where they can be a mere peasant, or a guard, Or a cook, Or any other minor lego brick that we'd enjoy; Instead of accidentally stepping on them, Because they're not in place. (Ouch.)

Also, I suggest making another video, But have it monitored by the admins & Community in general before releasing it to public. No special events dedicated for those people, Though; If we bait the newbies, We bait them with truth!

(Also, Really nice thread.)

@The Salt King That would be pretty neat. Just get all of us to upboat the content ! We should have more media stuff going on. Make that the new contest rather than an art competition where the same 5 people win over and over.

I wouldn't mind seeing a continuation of the LotC History series.

Just now, Jonificus said:

@The Salt King That would be pretty neat. Just get all of us to upboat the content ! We should have more media stuff going on. Make that the new contest rather than an art competition where the same 5 people win over and over.

I wouldn't mind seeing a continuation of the LotC History series.

What drew me to LOTC was the history and dynamic player driven conflict that took place. We should emphasize that and show case it in a visible way so that people who have yet to be exposed to the LOTC platform can atleast learn what it's all about.

Knowing that my actions actually can help write history is what's so great about LotC. We got the greatest amount of dynamic RP and the huge amount of playermade history/lore should really be emphasized.