[✓] Gap Theory

Zarsies

Gap Theory is an advanced abstraction of time by mortal perception from worldly events wherein occurrences are never definitively consecutive with no time or happening between events. This theory states that, for example, there is or was a time of opportunity between the birth of the world and the Descension of Iblees because there is a fluttering delay on the concrete timeline of the universe; thousands of years may be perceived between great events that may be experienced as lesser or shorter time by those separated greatly by distance. This studied phenomenon is highly misunderstood and grasped by nigh no living mortal and is rather a facet of the world that goes unnoticed. Due to the time abnormalities and inconsistencies experienced throughout the mortal and immortal planes it is possible for huge swells of years to pass from one area to the next, causing kingdoms to rise and fall in a matter of decades from the eyes of the outside world and centuries from those within to leave stone ruins about a land, occurring whilst larger and greater events occurred nearby such as the establishment of the Bohra and the rise and fall of multiple factions within the southern regions of Anthos.

Gap Theory is the leading proponent of reasoning behind the plethora of overgrown ruins, rich histories, and convoluted pasts of numerous lands by citing the gaps in time; all that is certain is that, truly, as described in the words of Rasmot the Mad engraved over the throne of Rivel in Dwarvish runes, “Time is dubious at best.”

[[The importance of this universal law is to enable time conflicts in present lore timelines or in future ones. Writers may reference extensively old entities within lore (be they factions, beings, objects, etc) as ancient even through the world itself is, by our count, rather young. This enable the classical use of the flavorful trope of age and antiquity without creating rifts and inconsistency with proposed or already implemented lore. Fantasy worlds in literature are defined as old or young, wild and vast or tamed and explored, and unknown or known. Due to LotC’s situation, we are both of each setting while conversely neither. Quite the contradiction due to multiple works from multiple writers being used together; this makes that acceptable.]]

An RP explanation for all the inconsistencies and holes in our lore caused by the LT that they can't be bothered to fix? I'm not so sure about this one.

3 minutes ago, A Third World Miner said:

An RP explanation for all the inconsistencies and holes in our lore caused by the LT that they can't be bothered to fix? I'm not so sure about this one.

motherfucker if you tryna come to a complex fantasy world made up by a medical student and a high af hippy skateboarder dude and ask for consistency you in the wrong place yo

i'm black.

51 minutes ago, Space said:

motherfucker if you tryna come to a complex fantasy world made up by a medical student and a high af hippy skateboarder dude and ask for consistency you in the wrong place yo

i'm black.

don't take my belongings please

---

Nonetheless, I don't see how this Lore could possibly harm the server, but instead, help it according to your explanation, easing the writing of general lore. For example, instead of saying

"This ruin is 800 years old"

you can say

"This ruin is pretty damn old, son."

Or did I get it wrong? Can you give another practical use? Also, if you phrase together Whimsy's conclusion, it'll become somehow easier regardless of people being lazy or not.

4 minutes ago, Man of respect said:

Nonetheless, I don't see how this Lore could possibly harm the server, but instead, help it according to your explanation, easing the writing of general lore. For example, instead of saying

"This ruin is 800 years old"

you can say

"This ruin is pretty damn old, son."

Or did I get it wrong? Can you give another practical use? Also, if you phrase together Whimsy's conclusion, it'll become somehow easier regardless of people being lazy or not.

This gives viability for ET to ruin abandoned structures as sanctioned by GMs or LT, for ruins or structures to appear in places previously explored such as things that were not fit into the development time of the map that had to be put in later, or builds appearing that are realistically old but were made days ago due to something new. The point of this is to say that things are allowed to be "damn ****'s old" where it's not presently canon for things to be that way. This also absolves consistency issues with hella hella lore which references 'things' as aged, ancient, old, antique, etc yet LotC from start to now has been ~200 years which is no where near desirable for the supposed missing thousands of years mentioned in lore. As Space said, this helps bridge the gap (hah) between highly detailed, carefully adapted lore that is implemented and those of lesser scales also implemented. Multiple people have written for LotC so we must have a way to meld writing pieces together so they don't stand out from one another and are contradictory. 

It may also aid in explaining why when shifting from one realm to another there were differences in the passing of time, and inconsistencies of the calculation of dates. As there were always a few fluctuating dates and changes in how long days and weeks were as we moved around.

18 minutes ago, Elindor said:

It may also aid in explaining why when shifting from one realm to another there were differences in the passing of time, and inconsistencies of the calculation of dates. As there were always a few fluctuating dates and changes in how long days and weeks were as we moved around.

I didn't think about this but yeah, definitely. Our calendar has changed roughly four times and MC day-to-night ratios and durations have been tweaked multiple time; this validates those changes (unintentionally).

I think a more interesting explanation could be that the descendants weren't the first mortals created.

Just now, zaezae said:

I think a more interesting explanation could be that the descendants weren't the first mortals created.

Think with me, the creator made the world first, and there were plants on it. Plants can perish, so, technically, they are mortimage.jpgl.

18 minutes ago, zaezae said:

They weren't.

Bohra were, inhabitants of Anthos' North. Speaking of them this lore would (along with Outvoker lore) validate that there was time for them to mature as a culture before the other races were introduced or at least during the Descendants' early years.

This Lore has been added to this week's Loremag and shall be reviewed by the LT.

Expect a response in about a week.

This Lore has been accepted. Moved to Implemented Lore, it will be sorted to it's appropriate category soon.