[✓] [magic] [addition] Celestialism Reiteration ~~~ The Masters of Arcanism

BrandNewKitten

Just now, EdgyMagey said:

So what I infer is:

> Wendigo's magical circle is a thing but this is kind of the same but not since aura colours are mixed;

Melding is already a thing in Arcanism but only in relation to shielding. This allows for variety & more interactions between arcanists.

> people will now have magical owl pets shooting laser beams;

It should be noted that "pets" will not attack on their own. Basically fancy focal points.

> you can now have a crystal garden but it's likely an ET will use it for an event;

You are correct but also gives the ability for Arcanists to create an enviroment for themselves. Also gem power activate.

> also two more spells that arcanism could(probably?) do already.

Previously arcanism disallowed the trapping of individuals completely. You could trap someone in a shield but this clarifies that if you hold still they won't be busting out of it anytime soon. The chains are simply an aesthetic variation.

I like the lore, though. Hope it gets accepted and thanks for all the effort you've put into this.

I appreciate it, mate!

I think the addition is pretty decent, though there are some points I'd like to raise on the lore regarding how lore-abiding or balanced it is. For the sake of simplicity, I'll number these points so you can more easily respond to them.

1- For the skill of melding and greater melding, how do you intend to have it work? I'm willing to work together on you with this one, but currently the way you say it works (a user utilising the passive or active mana of another via Evocation) doesn't seem to fit how mana lore works. I have ideas as to how it could be made to work (such as the mingling of auras which allows for control over another's evoked arcanism) but we'd need to chat a bit about that.

Also, why not simply clarify this as a way to use arcanism with arcane coupling/circles? I've included the relevant lores below.

https://www.lordofthecraft.net/forums/topic/151276-✓-the-states-of-mana/

https://www.lordofthecraft.net/forums/topic/150995-✓-coupling-or-circles/

2- As for celestial aura, I'm confused when you say

• Consent via PM is required to fully sense the magical ability of another person, event player or NPC in the area.

Does this mean a celestialism user doesn't need consent to partially sense that someone is, say, a dark Mage or frostwitch in disguise? Or if they are a keeper, disguised and infiltrating someplace? If so, this borders on metagaming.

3- For celestial companions; these are essentially the primal conjuration of arcane evocation combined with atronach forging. Why have such similar things? Why not simply merge them and have it so one can create these creatures through atronach forging? The very fact that they need a special stone makes it even clearer that they are almost identical to atronachs in application. Yes, I realise the creatures are not entirely controlled like conjured beings are, but atronachs are rather similar in this case, and may even have personalities.

4- Next, how are arcanism users able to permanently grow and alter the growth of things such as crystals without the use of alteration/transfiguration? You explain that it involves the manipulation of mana, but are you thus trying to say that anything/any crystal can grow if mana is poured into it?

5- As for the spells that bind and entrap someone; how fast is their casting time? How strong are they/do they still obey the rules of arcanism in terms of strength?

I realise it looks like I am nitpicking all the details of your lore and/or don't want to see them happen, though I promise you this is untrue. I really like the ideas, and I just want to be able to explain them with already accepted lore instead of new, redundant bits of lore. To clarify:

The parts that I think could use re-explaining are the greater melding (which can be explained with arcane coupling) and familiar (which can be explained with atronach forging) parts.

The part that I don't understand the workings of is the crystal garden.

The parts that I am concerned about in terms of magic moderation are the potential of metagaming with a celestial aura and the new spells which can entrap people.

Hope I made at least some sense in my sleepy state!

Uh, this addition definitely wasn't as bad as i feared. Glad you proved me wrong ;)

This is neat. I feel the kind of "arcanism does too much" though.(It really doesn't help arcanism is already two magics) Agreed w/ hugo's points on potential for Meta tho. I think you should get down to really specific details of what the familiar can and can't do.

Also oh man Archons are gonna be freakin busted with this lol.

16 hours ago, Mephistophelian said:

----

MAJOR UPDATE REREAD OR SEE MY POST ON PAGE 3

There is one argument that I don't agree with  and that is that this will allow the magic to do too much. Because this addition is almost entirely aesthetic the likelihood of it doing too much as an overall subtype shouldn't be there. There is no drawback to allowing magic types to grow if you aren't adding things for the soul addition of power. This is all for flavour roleplay really.

If you take a look at clericalism you have the ability to do much of what arcanism can do but with the added benefit of healing, damage against dark beings, etc... Shades can do basically all of what Arcanism does but then more including sharpness, draining, hexing, etc... And that is before you get into their end game transformation buffs. As the writer of Arcanism I want the subtype to stop being looked at it through the lens of an evocation and more through the lens of what Arcanism is on a whole. 

To me its the personal manifestation of each individual casters raw potential energy. 

5 hours ago, - ~ K ~ - said:

Stones require maintenance and will eventually crumble if not maintained.

How does one maintain a stone and also great lore! 

To be fair, shade magic existed before arcanism so I think it's arcanism that uses shade's features and not the other way around ;)

As for your other points, shall we discuss on Skype?

3 hours ago, Eileen The Crow said:

This is neat. I feel the kind of "arcanism does too much" though.(It really doesn't help arcanism is already two magics) Agreed w/ hugo's points on potential for Meta tho. I think you should get down to really specific details of what the familiar can and can't do.

Also oh man Archons are gonna be freakin busted with this lol.

C:::

Just wanted to say somewhere in the old magic q/a the point was brought up of if it would be possible to sense a persons mana pool/magical capability or mana in enchantments/objects and it was said by an mat member at the time itd be possible with void translocation. not sure if still canon but just wanted to point that out there.

After some thought, I've decided the idea of familiars is pretty neat. Though I do wish that part would be taken out and re-written separately to be more inclusive of the other evocations.

Hiya everyone watching! Big Update here!

The final effect of what you might have read pre-3am PST-today are still valid but I believe I have done a better job at going in depth as to what things are and where they came from. 

The reason this is disconnected from other evocations, conjuration and atronach forging is because these are not primordial conjurations. Mephistophelian, the MAT director, suggested that in order to move away from what would be considered conjuration/atronach forging that this should be the binding of a variant type of voidal horror. Celestial Arcanists are beacons and Celestials find themselves drawn to them and with the combined use of enchanting the process of obtaining a familiar is possible. I urge you to re-read the lore now that it has been updated. (Literally rewrote 80% of it today.)

Other than that I will continue to answer questions and clarify inconsistencies that may arise.

is this self-teachable for any hypothetical t5 arcanists or do they have to find a teacher/the information/something else?

7 minutes ago, Destroyer_Bravo said:

is this self-teachable for any hypothetical t5 arcanists or do they have to find a teacher/the information/something else?

Once you know it exists and have seen it or have received some form of information any t5 arcanist can apply to self-teach. Look right above TLDR for further details.

You're a hero for writing this, BNK.

Excited to see how you'll act this out in roleplay! :')

You have my +1, Arcanism master race ! 1!!1 ! !1