[✓] Voidal Feeling

GDPR 014

24 minutes ago, - ~ K ~ - said:

Perhaps Elad could give a solid answer?

He has, effectively-- Void translo only lets you view the amount of dormant/passive manas in the object, which is dissimilar to feeling in where you have to 'feel' the amount of dormant mana, and scrape information from it. Regarding magelight, it wouldn't be counted as a feat due to it being apart of transfiguration/household magic.

So long as people that can already reasonably do this aren't just shoved to the side so that only a select few can perform this feat after this lore is accepted. Many attuned magi can already gleam bits of information via 'feeling' the mana of an object, and can sense large presences of mana even outside of enchantments, such as a Voidal Node. Essentially, this was already a some what 'unofficial' thing within the realms of alteration, so as long as this isn't just something someone could already do being turned into a personal hoarded trophy for a select few.

What I mean is a well-attuned mage could already sense the presence of mana, even from spells. So if it's just meant to be an expansion upon that and for gaining more information from enchantments via this mechanic, and not just portioning off an entire inherent ability of a mage, then sure.

Just now, 吳憾戰士14 said:

You can voidally feel me any day baby

5zmiwo6.jpg

32 minutes ago, 吳憾戰士14 said:

You can voidally feel me any day baby

I knew you swung for the other magic team... 

9 hours ago, ArcanicFable said:

The way I view your idea of magical feats is requiring an MA to use it. Mage light doesn't require an MA anyone can use it. So it's feat like but not directly a magical feat. And what Gladuos said really, as this was already an unofficial 'thing' alteration magic users and Void-Translo magic users are able to do in bits. Really though this seems more so an addition to Alteration magic as an archtype as a whole as opposed to a magical feat itself seeing as many users of alteration magic specifically (Telekinesis, Void translo, Transfiguration) can do these things in bits and bobs some as a whole.

Has a DnD detect magic feel to it, it can be an interesting feature to add to this. Even more since it's been done before in the past, just now with some lore backing it.

Seriously though, is this just portioning off the concept of magical sensing or is it just a more specialized version of it to more adequately study enchantments with?

Cool idea but should be made to all transfigurationists. It just seems like a natural progression as you become more and more experienced in alteration.

8 hours ago, Gladuos said:

Seriously though, is this just portioning off the concept of magical sensing or is it just a more specialized version of it to more adequately study enchantments with?

I guess both. Void translocation was only able to sense the passive mana value in an item, which doesn't allow it to get any info besides the amount of mana. 

22 hours ago, Booklight12 said:

The way I view your idea of magical feats is requiring an MA to use it. Mage light doesn't require an MA anyone can use it. So it's feat like but not directly a magical feat. And what Gladuos said really, as this was already an unofficial 'thing' alteration magic users and Void-Translo magic users are able to do in bits. Really though this seems more so an addition to Alteration magic as an archtype as a whole as opposed to a magical feat itself seeing as many users of alteration magic specifically (Telekinesis, Void translo, Transfiguration) can do these things in bits and bobs some as a whole.

I can really only respond with how mage light is under Transfig and household magic, thus not making it a voidal feat.

Just now, BathRugMan said:

Cool idea but should be made to all transfigurationists. It just seems like a natural progression as you become more and more experienced in alteration.

But why? It would be more accessible as a feat, all it requires for someone to learn is to be connected to the void/know how to manipulate their active mana via spells.

This feat merely requires the use of active mana to get knowledge, which doesn't fit it under alteration which is physically manipulating the object. That is why I don't think it needs to be apart of Transfig.

Then I'm not sure how much I can support this. Firstly, most alteration magics are capable of detecting some form of mana signature, especially transfiguration. It's some what required in order to understand how much an object can handle in mana before it starts to overflow. Next to that, as far as 'sensing' is concerned, a mage actively trying to sense it has been always capable (should they have been masterful enough) of sensing magic in their vicinity, even spells. This just feels like an attempt at taking something that's already possible, making it more limited, putting it behind an MA wall, and then taking away some of the most basic abilities that were freely able to be RPed by the mage playerbase. This seems unnecessary, and if it's not meant to be as I've previously described, then I can imagine it being an extension of the previous, to be able to more adequately 'sense' what makes up an enchantment. And since it seems to be heavily focused on the details of an enchantment or what composes an object, why not make it part of transfiguration? Like I said, not necessary as it is in my opinion.

46 minutes ago, Gladuos said:

Then I'm not sure how much I can support this. Firstly, most alteration magics are capable of detecting some form of mana signature, especially transfiguration. It's some what required in order to understand how much an object can handle in mana before it starts to overflow. Next to that, as far as 'sensing' is concerned, a mage actively trying to sense it has been always capable (should they have been masterful enough) of sensing magic in their vicinity, even spells. This just feels like an attempt at taking something that's already possible, making it more limited, putting it behind an MA wall, and then taking away some of the most basic abilities that were freely able to be RPed by the mage playerbase. This seems unnecessary, and if it's not meant to be as I've previously described, then I can imagine it being an extension of the previous, to be able to more adequately 'sense' what makes up an enchantment. And since it seems to be heavily focused on the details of an enchantment or what composes an object, why not make it part of transfiguration? Like I said, not necessary as it is in my opinion.

46 minutes ago, Gladuos said:

Firstly, in no way (aside from detecting mana value in void translo) has this ever been a thing. If it has, then it was very vague and simply implying magical sensing is possible.

Apologies if it seems locked behind an MA wall, but bare in mind a mage can self teach it.

It's really just a detect spell any mage can learn, if you dont like it, everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and I gladly respect yours.

P.s. Sorry for the double quote, phone likes to **** up on the forums.

My only 2 questions rn are why is it not possible for one to sense the mana properties of an active spell, not necessarily Illusion per say as would break the magic. But rather a tangible magic such as an evocation, or other form of spell/magical creature. Technically as mages would it not make sense for them to be able to notice when magic that is not directly physical. If not then mages would be rather bland if they cannot even sense other magical things (Excluding objects) around them a voidal node for example. The other question I have is, why not be able to sense magical presence/values of living organisms, something being living makes you unable to perform alteration magics on them due to them always being in a state of flux, but to gather a general understanding of them by using this shouldn't be impossible. I'm liking the ideas of feats but I feel like since this really doesn't add much to make this not needing of an MA and just have it like Magelight where it is possible to learn it on your own as long as you do not powergame and have an accepted MA. And may choose to learn it from a teacher or on your own, basically making it a household magic in a way. Also, a side question I have is Aesthetically really, would it be breaking of lore to perform this appearance wise besides fumes? Just to make it more aesthetically appealing/diverse between people.