[Shelved][✓] Voidal Tearing - The Hubris of Magi

Voidal Tearing

Lore by Combustionary

eye_of_terror.jpg

Originating in the failure of portal experimentation, the Voidal Tear is an example of an accidental discovery.

As translocationists learned the ability of partial translocation - the formation of temporary rifts in the void, attempts at large scale usage, to transport larger objects over longer distances, were almost immediate. With the advent of mage circles learning to pool their mana for larger spells, many involved began to consider their lofty goal to be within reach.

The first half of this theory would be fairly simple to execute - and it was. A circle of magi would convene, and the limits of such a rift would be tested. As the rift got larger, however, the results became equally dangerous and wondrous. Should that rift be stabilized, and anchored to the world via a transfigurationist, it can have great effect on the world around it.

Voidal Tears

The creation of a tear is simple in complexity, but difficult in feasibility. It requires a circle of magi including both an experienced translocationist and transfigurationist. It also requires a large magegold frame to hold the stabilized rift in. The circle must then assist both mages in forming a large rift, and using transfiguration to bind it to the frame like any other enchanted spell. In this case, however, the nature of the rift makes it independent of a mana-gem fuel source.

In the simplest of terms, it is a partial-translocation rift made to be much larger, and much more permanent than a lone mage could accomplish.

This anomalous creation, once stabilized, soon becomes a free-flowing path for the veil between the void and the world, causing raw mana to seep out at an increasing pace. This fact, and the rift to the veil, is what causes a Voidal Tear to have its effects on the world around it.

As the tear reaches a large area, raw mana begins to flow forth. The initial torrent is particularly strong, and more often than not, results in what could be described as an earthquake in the immediate area. Those attempting the formation of a tear without the proper structural support could easily find their building of choice falling down around them from the force.

If the magi forming the rift are able to maintain focus through this initial torrent, and allow the rift to become stable, the gentler flow of magic will lead to numerous effects on the surrounding areas.

Mana gems and obelisks will, slowly, refill themselves. This is not a quick enough process to allow particularly draining enchants to remain perpetually active, but a mage who leaves such an object inactive overnight may find the gem to have recharged without any interaction.

Furthermore, mages near to the tear will find their recovery after casting to be hastened. The same ambient mana that refills their enchantments will give them an easier time in resting and allowing their mana pools to recover.

However, not all the effects of the tear are positive. Especially as time passes after the formation of the rift, problems and dangers will begin to present themselves.

As a tear grows more mature, and thus more stable, removing it will become more and more destructive. Removing a rift causes a burst of energy much like the creation of it. The more mature a rift is, the more rooted in the world it has become, and thus the more damaging the burst will be when it is removed.

Physical weakness, due to the same voidal corruption that manifests itself in mages, will sometimes take effect in those who live close to the rift. While not a guaranteed outcome, and never on the same scale as a mage’s, a populace living near such a tear will slowly come to find itself physically weaker, even if by a small margin, than populations without such a corruption.

Children born nearby to a rift will sometimes experience a voidal alteration to their eyes not unlike the transcendent archons. In most cases, this is purely superficial, but in some it can come alongside blindness. The more time the pregnant mother spent in proximity to the tear, the greater chance of this occurring.

In addition to this mutation, simpler creatures will sometimes be born with even greater mutations, the extent of which is truly unknown.

A more mature rift will sometimes spawn forth voidal terrors, posing a threat to the surrounding lands. As the rift grows even older, the terrors can be found appearing further and further away from the epicenter. In some extremely rare cases, voidal horrors may pass through.

Finally, the oldest of rifts will imbue a hollows-like corruption to the environment. While this is too slow-spreading to simply destroy a town, by this point, removing the rift would likely do as much damage to its surroundings as the hollows eventually would.

Red Lines / Rules

The creation of a voidal tear must have LM oversight and approval.

The removal of a voidal tear must have LM oversight and approval.

The ambient managem recharging is a slow process. It will not recharge a gem quickly enough to give its enchantment any additional effect over the course of a given fight.

The eased resting process for a mage has the same limitations of managems - It is too slow a process to give a mage any advantage in a fight that he'd not have elsewhere.

The physical weakness is neither nearly as severe as a mage’s, nor forced on any player residing near the tear. The severity of it, as well as its presence in a character, is entirely up to the player. The same thing goes for altered eyes and blindness.

Altered animals and void terrors appearing near the tear are purely for ET/LM use, as a means to provide consequential events to the nearby lands.

The final stage of a tear, the slow spread of hollowing, occurs only after a rift has remained present for a very long time. More than thirty weeks, at the very least.

Attempting to push or otherwise force objects through the tear will result in the objects being pushed back in a manner akin to throwing somebody against a trampoline. Traversing this tear is impossible.

The purpose of this lore is not to empower its users - the negative consequences definitely outweigh the positives. Its purpose is to further interesting rp erring on the often unexplored corrupting properties of the void, and to create an environment conducive to magic-based events for those who wish for them.

Another great piece, by another great man!

First hehe

I like the lore! I do have a few questions on the lore-abiding and balancing parts of it, though:

How exactly does the voidal tear provide mana to refill gems near it?

If mana is being provided, what kind of mana is it?

How can this mana refill an enchanted gem when an innate understanding of the enchantment is needed to refill the mana of a gem?

Does a voidal tear refill all sorts of mana-using enchantments (not just voidal ones)?

How long does it take for the voidal tear to start shooting out voidal terrors? How long for it to start releasing voidal horrors?

I hope my questions aren't too much! If you have trouble answering the first few, I might have ideas that could help you out to make it more lore-abiding to the current mana lore :)

I was told that was impossible back in 4.0. By Urasept.

EDIT: But fancy enough, I don't mind that.

I approve of the Circle use. A question though, how many people in a Circle would this require in your opinion? Another item to note is with a Circle you'd really only require one very skilled leader in Transfig and Translocation. You'd just have to pass leadership between the two in order to accomplish the task. The rest of the mages would just be fuel for the two.

7 hours ago, Mephistophelian said:

I like the lore! I do have a few questions on the lore-abiding and balancing parts of it, though:

How exactly does the voidal tear provide mana to refill gems near it?

Once the tear is stable, mana begins seeping out of it. The mana slowly begins to saturate itself into the surrounding lands, and, in some cases creatures (such as voidal-corruption, eyes, etc).

If mana is being provided, what kind of mana is it?

Raw, base mana.

How can this mana refill an enchanted gem when an innate understanding of the enchantment is needed to refill the mana of a gem?

The rift saturates everything around it with mana, rather than simply targeting the managems. It's a much more ambient, widespread process than a mage's refueling of a gem. A mage must understand the enchantment to put his mana into the gem, but the tear simply puts mana into everything.

Does a voidal tear refill all sorts of mana-using enchantments (not just voidal ones)?

I'm certainly not an expert on non-voidal enchantments, and I'd certainly appreciate a PM or skype message to give me some more insight on this. My opinion is that if raw mana can power it, yes. If that mana requires some alteration through an aengudaemon or such, no.

How long does it take for the voidal tear to start shooting out voidal terrors? How long for it to start releasing voidal horrors?

Really up to the discretion of the LM/ET doing an event for one. The rift wouldn't reach the point where either are especially common. and it certainly wouldn't overrun a settlement with them. I feel like adding a hard requirement to their appearance would be more stifling than entertaining.

I hope my questions aren't too much! If you have trouble answering the first few, I might have ideas that could help you out to make it more lore-abiding to the current mana lore :)

I'm certainly open to hearing them! You've provided very good questions, and I hope my answers were satisfactory.

You never answered my question, how many people in a circle would you think something like this would require?

5 hours ago, Wendigo said:

You never answered my question, how many people in a circle would you think something like this would require?

As far as your typical mage goes, I'd put it at five. However I don't think a set, arbitrary requirement is necessary and that it should be more up to the discretion of the overseeing LM/ET

On 11/3/2016 at 4:27 PM, Aelu / Rel (Combustionary) said:

As far as your typical mage goes, I'd put it at five. However I don't think a set, arbitrary requirement is necessary and that it should be more up to the discretion of the overseeing LM/ET

I agree, just wanted to hear your opinion on the matter. 5 seems like an okay number in my opinion, that being said something like this has the potential to be quite powerful.