[✗] [Lore Submission] Aura Sensory

HedgeHug

5 minutes ago, Sir K Andruske said:

Also you cannot mask your aura. There is very little manipulation of aura that can happen if you aren't a shade.

Seeing as shades now work with mana over aura, even they don't use it for anything; we currently lack a magic that directly manipulates aura (seeing as arcanism only 'manipulates' it as a matter of course, rather than practice, and everything else only has it as a side effect).

Just now, Aelesh said:

Seeing as shades now work with mana over aura, even they don't use it for anything; we currently lack a magic that directly manipulates aura (seeing as arcanism only 'manipulates' it as a matter of course, rather than practice, and everything else only has it as a side effect).

That is because manipulating aura becomes to complicated. It's burn-off &I has no real function. To manipulate aura you would need to would be producing more aura so where does it stop? 

Aura is meant to help describe a function of magic. We have been working hard to move away from the idea that magics manipulate it. 

Indeed, I was just pointing it out for reference. To be honest, I would be in favour of a serious overhaul/expansion to aura, to give it more possibilities and facets (think of it like colour + manifestation or something, aura can appear as a fine mist, or it can try to form random but ordered shapes, or any variety of pattern that also expresses something about the caster; ie. give more to the depth and possibilities of aura).

I agree with everything except the mood stuff. Aura aren't mood rings you buy in a novelty store, they are simply burned off mana. Nothing more, nothing less, if you give a mood card to aura's then this would change a shitload of other lore where aura is involved, and thus I feel if you want to apply that change you should discuss with them.

2 minutes ago, Aelesh said:

Indeed, I was just pointing it out for reference. To be honest, I would be in favour of a serious overhaul/expansion to aura, to give it more possibilities and facets (think of it like colour + manifestation or something, aura can appear as a fine mist, or it can try to form random but ordered shapes, or any variety of pattern that also expresses something about the caster; ie. give more to the depth and possibilities of aura).

Aesthetic uses of aura already exist. Pretty sure lore for that was accepted but idk. Arcanism can also provide the aesthetic properties you are talking about. It can create a fine mist that is able to form different shapes at a very very low mana cost so long as the spell isn't condensed or used for combat. 

The truth is aura doesnt need an overhaul. It works and explains how it works in a rather simple way. Overhauling it would likely lead to a less simplistic version. With how closely related Arcanism is to Aura you can consider it a psuedo-aura magic if you wish. 

I'd be more interested in opening it up to all mages and allow them to customize their aura more; when I say an overhaul, I simply mean adding more layers to it than just colour so that all magicians (Voidal, deity or otherwise) can take part in it at a greater depth than simply a colour. Nothing as to it's mechanics or complexity, just it's layers.

EDIT: but this is off topic, so probably an idea for us not to say anymore, sorry for clogging up the thread.

Just going to be frank since I believe many people covered my point of view... I like that you want to give more purpose to aura (Arcanism already does but still), but I feel this lore will leading to misunderstandings in Rp scenarios and metagaming by brash assumptions ex: someone may assume just because someone's aura is purple they have something to hide and interrogate them. We don't need basset hounds sniffing people out who have a dwindling morality; figure out characteristics through real Rp interaction.

5 hours ago, Hedgehug said:

Aura colour does not change under typical circumstances... unless great change happens to them or their soul.

The varying colors can detect a person’s mood and even give off indicators that someone is lying.

Elaborate on these contradictions; this could be the biggest hole in your lore and LM's love jumping on that, moreso than practical limitations.
When 'Sensing', ie discerning mood or intent within an aura by physically viewing it, do these mages view changes in the tonality of colour, rather than the base colour itself (Green becomes sickly, vibrant, pervasive etc.)? Furthermore, can they detect changes in density and in the action of the aura about a person, either casting or passive? These would require a lot more work in defining aura and its interpretation by both Aura Sensors and regular people alike.
There's more to say about this, however.

As a magic that detects Aura it will rely more on the people who are being detected than otherwise; the non-mages will be doing the work of describing their aura, putting into words their characters' intentions and moods which, a lot of the time, are better left to be shown than to be told through their actions and interactions. The Mages themselves do a lot less, simply having to go through the process of detection and then saying, 'Ah yes, he is purple."
What I'm trying to say is it's a magic that can't show improvement if the mage themselves improves, and the quality of roleplay is placed upon someone who doesn't really know the magic and has to describe something they might not know about or have not fully figured out how to express yet. Perhaps further promote how there's an interaction between the person wielding magic and the person being forced to emote.

The Metagaming issue isn't really as large as it could be, but that's mostly because it follows the same line as mental magic. In practise it is fairly similar but more restricted, and the clashing of two magics with the same practical abilities (even if they're done in completely different ways) is another main reason that promising lore pieces are denied. I'm not sure how you can further differentiate the two, but work at it an make sure there's a difference in the abilities of the two not just in how they're achieved.

Personally I like the lore, but I fear for it becoming a magic not widely used. Alongside mental magic you're further restricted with Kitten's Arcanism addition, which is where I would have liked this magic to go if that was a viable option. Perhaps it's best to move imbetween the lines of these two- The red lines, that is.

On 10/24/2016 at 2:13 PM, Sir K Andruske said:

You cannot sense what magics a being has.

This is in the Arcanism addition. Perhaps move closer to this idea- using Aura Sense as a diagnostic tool where, instead of sensing emotions like mental magic and instead you can determine the exact nature of what releases Aura, looking through the Aura and the subtleties within it to determine more about the person that is releasing it. 
Anyway, good luck! Revising some of the issues will definitely help getting some of the issues with the clashing with other magics, but simply typing up loose ends, if you don't want to change your magic completely, might let a well written piece of lore like this be accepted.

Also, fix the last Red Line, it's a bit convoluted.

• The second part is more, say you lived with say 'Bill' for years, and his aura becomes super familiar. You would get the same sense of familiarity if he changed his appearance, as you would if you saw him change his hair/voice. But under illusion, that would be masked because of illusion aura.

(Is this referring to manipulation of your own Aura? Also, more what?)

7 hours ago, Sir K Andruske said:

Also there was no "original aura lore" because I came was the one who actually wrote it down and Kalamoot assisted in creating the system in which it works. 

I was talking about the original lore for THIS magic. My original lore. not the server lore. This is a re-write of old lore I wrote, that did not get accepted. Sorry.

Just now, Time Lady of Kittens said:

I was talking about the original lore for THIS magic. My original lore. not the server lore. This is a re-write of old lore I wrote, that did not get accepted. Sorry.

Ah that's my bad too then. Misinterpretation. Link? 

Just now, Sir K Andruske said:

Ah that's my bad too then. Misinterpretation. Link? 

does this mean we can bring back holy and dark magic sensing if this is accepted

I can't tell how I feel about this at all, really. I was always under the impression that auras didn't change at all based on emotion and such, they're more or less static, unless something rather huge happens.

32 minutes ago, Corvoo said:

I can't tell how I feel about this at all, really. I was always under the impression that auras didn't change at all based on emotion and such, they're more or less static, unless something rather huge happens.

I would say Auras may exist on a color palette. Sometimes appearing a bit lighter or darker in hue. Never changing colors outright though. For someone to go from red to blue would be a total flipflop in character. For my character's color to be magenta at times and shift towards a violet isn't an issue but also doesn't have anything to do with emotions or mood. 

8 hours ago, Kowaman said:

does this mean we can bring back holy and dark magic sensing if this is accepted

And for this reason this is why the lore shouldn't be accepted in anyway, this will be the continuation of the this lore beyond what it should simply be. thx kowaman for making my point : )))