[Shelved][✓] [Lore] Spriggans - Druidic Familiars

WuHanXianShi14

Just now, TheCritsyBear said:

This all looks pretty cool, so there's nothing in particular I feel really needs specific praise- +1, definitely. However, there's like... Two things I don't know about.

Why such a specific block radius? If they're born in a grove, their restriction should be the grove, however if it's a specific radius then it could be their leash only goes halfway into the grove, and the rest is in the middle of the woods. If they tried to actually be useful in cases of emergencies, they would just dissipate. I get the restriction if they bloomed out in the middle of nowhere or somewhere without actual druids, but I feel like logically if they normally require a high-druid area to be born, their tethers would be a little more flexible in allowing them to wander around that area. Y'know, the area they were meant to protect. The area buzzing with the energy that keeps them alive.

The other thing I don't know about is... Why spores? Why not pollen? They're tree things, right? And the poisonous part is the flower? Trees and flowers make pollen, not spores. Pollen can be poisonous, it's just we don't really have many examples of it in real life other than minor allergies or irritation. I don't mind poisonous creatures, but I'm weirded out by them making spores from flowers instead of pollen. Granted, one problem with that is that flowers don't really actively spread pollen, they rely on outside bodies to do it for them. But that can be fixed with a little fantasy element, saying their flowers shake and dislodge pollen all over or something. Or just ignoring the fact that flowers don't normally expunge pollen, since we live in a world with literal magic. Spores, though? Not cool in my book, no sir!

Well, since druid groves dont typically have defined borders or walls, I figured a specific block count would be better. Like Linandria, its not just the inner walls of the city, theres also the market and Aureon manor area which has no defined borders. Of course, if this cuts rather blatantly into their obvious territory then the block rule would be overridden.

As for the spores/pollen thing, either works really. Whatever fits better. It really doesn't make much of a difference to me.

Perhaps add in a pollen that can frenzy animals? Idk really but if you are going skyrim themed the spriggans in that game can empower animals, making wild animals attack with them. 

This lore however is great. I have been waiting for this. I contemplated writing it myself but since I am no druid, like you leo, I didn't wanna step on toes. How brave of you.

2 hours ago, 吳憾戰士14 said:

Spriggans have limited free will. They must attempt to fight off anything voidal or undead in nature in its presence, unless ordered to stop by a druid. They can never do anything to harm nature, even if it results in their own death.

2 hours ago, 吳憾戰士14 said:

• If a Spriggan is awoken, but is given no orders, it will instinctively attack anything inherently unnatural in its sight. (I.e, the undead, arcane creatures, golems).

Huh? I mean honestly these parts just seem like an way to exact IC hatred through a new special druid creature which is not necessarily needed. Also with these spores, how often can they be used, how powerful are they? Because currently it appears like nobody can get close to it to actually attack it without being hit with a paralysis spore. How long do these spores take to actually have any affect?

Their purpose is to defend druid groves, but can't you already do that through rp? Why is a special creature needed in order to guard your various groves? I also don't understand why they can magically have much longer arms that can rapidly fire and attack somebody

1 minute ago, A Moongazer said:

Huh? I mean honestly these parts just seem like an way to exact IC hatred through a new special druid creature which is not necessarily needed. Also with these spores, how often can they be used, how powerful are they? Because currently it appears like nobody can get close to it to actually attack it without being hit with a paralysis spore. How long do these spores take to actually have any affect?

Their purpose is to defend druid groves, but can't you already do that through rp? Why is a special creature needed in order to guard your various groves? I also don't understand why they can magically have much longer arms that can rapidly fire and attack somebody

'Cause almost every other magic arche-type has some silly ugraded version of itself, like shades and daevas and whatnot, and Druids really don't have much power behind themselves. Not to mention there are atronachs, golems, paleknights, dreadknights.. and whatnot? There are so many things like this, why not give Druids one?

Just now, DISCOLIQUID said:

'Cause almost every other magic arche-type has some silly ugraded version of itself, like shades and daevas and whatnot, and Druids really don't have much power behind themselves. Not to mention there are atronachs, golems, paleknights, dreadknights.. and whatnot? There are so many things like this, why not give Druids one?

Yes but if we go by the 'they have one so why not give us one', every magic arch type should have a creature. Every magic arch type should have a special different place like the sunless sanctem. And I mean druids have a lot of power, they can aparently crush you with roots with a flick of their wrist and kill somebody with roots after being killed themselves. I mean you've already got a lot of power, I don't see the purpose of these creatures because you can already do what they are desired for.

Just now, A Moongazer said:

Yes but if we go by the 'they have one so why not give us one', every magic arch type should have a creature.

You're more than welcome to write a lore piece for a creature you believe should exist.

Regardless, I like this lore a lot. It has my complete backing.

8 minutes ago, A Moongazer said:

I mean honestly these parts just seem like an way to exact IC hatred through a new special druid creature

It's not just IC perspective. Literally, objectively, factually speaking: The undead and anything from the void is un-natural, not of the world. And thus, beings with mandates to protect nature would be instinctively hardwired to rid the world of them.

Also with these spores, how often can they be used, how powerful are they? Because currently it appears like nobody can get close to it to actually attack it without being hit with a paralysis spore.

Their effects are outlined in the post itself. As for the spores, their main downside is that they effect the entire air around them. So, if you have any allies in the area (which is very likely given the cramped nature of druids grove and wood elf cities) then itll effect them too. As such, spriggans shooting out spores is only effective in rather specific circumstances.

How long do these spores take to actually have any affect?

Also outlined in the post.

Their purpose is to defend druid groves, but can't you already do that through rp? Why is a special creature needed in order to guard your various groves?

Cause it'd be a nice addition and add some nice variety to our lore. Dwarves have their golems, mages have atronachs/arcane familiars, and they dont need those. Sometimes a nice addition can be a nice addition even if it isnt essential.

Just now, A Moongazer said:

Yes but if we go by the 'they have one so why not give us one', every magic arch type should have a creature.

I agree. They're all welcome to write lore for one if they dont have one already, like I am writing one for the druids.

And I mean druids have a lot of power, they can aparently crush you with roots with a flick of their wrist and kill somebody with roots after being killed themselves.

Subject opinion. There's no quantifiable way to measure how powerful one magic is against another. I could easily go on a similar rant "void mages can bring lightning down from the sky and create tears in the world therefore they shouldnt get arcane atronachs!" Its an argument which holds no basis in measurable fact.

BTW neither of the things you said about druids are true. Even T5 druids cant summon enough roots to crush you w/o 3-4 emotes, hardly a "flick of their wrist", nor are they capable of doing anything after dying...

I mean you've already got a lot of power, I don't see the purpose of these creatures because you can already do what they are desired for.

Extra depth, extra variety, more things for us to RP out, as druids. Druids aren't particularly more or less powerful than other forms of magic. We're not any less deserving of our own summonable creature than mages, who have one, or holy users and dark users who are more than capable of writing lore for their own.

1 hour ago, DISCOLIQUID said:

Exactly the reason to not give Druids one- It's an unoriginal concept that we already have in a few forms. And if it's an attempt to increase the 'power' or Druids (I don't think it is but you are using that as a reason so!) that's lame. Not every magic has to be equal. It's a lot funner when **** isn't equal, I think.

Just now, Space said:

Exactly the reason to not give Druids one- It's an unoriginal concept that we already have in a few forms.

"Group A has apples, so Group B shouldn't be given oranges. They're both fruit, so its an unoriginal concept."

Doesn't follow. Spriggans have very little in common with other summoned creatures, other than the fact they're all summoned creatures. Dutch and English are in the same language family, doesnt mean they're the same even if they have root similarities. Nor is the mentality behind this lore 'the other magics have one so we want one too'. Didnt even think about arcane atronachs while writing this lore. It's just meant to be a standalone addition to add something meaningful to druidic magic.

2 minutes ago, 吳憾戰士14 said:

"Group A has apples, so Group B shouldn't be given oranges. They're both fruit, so its an unoriginal concept."

Doesn't follow. Spriggans have very little in common with other summoned creatures, other than the fact they're all summoned creatures. Dutch and English are in the same language family, doesnt mean they're the same even if they have root similarities. Nor is the mentality behind this lore 'the other magics have one so we want one too'. Didnt even think about arcane atronachs while writing this lore. It's just meant to be a standalone addition to add something meaningful to druidic magic.

Golems, Arcane familiars, atronachs (idk if those are the same things, buncha dark magic things- There is very clearly a similarity between all those and this. A created creature who has a simple minded goal with no a lot of room for individual roleplay.

It's unoriginal.

Just now, 吳憾戰士14 said:

Things are allowed to be like other things and also exist.

That sounds sorta like the definition of similar to me.

Yea, ents exist so why not use pre-existing creatures that currently have no use?