[✓] Arcanium, Alloys of the Void

cablam

For clarification:

This alloy has more uses than just "another anti spook weapon". This alloy is easily enchantable, which allows it to be applied to (as Cablam previously state) Arcanic items/Arcane engineering, and even more non-magical affairs (see Magnetus).

While it is able to harm spooks, keep in mind that this alloy requires a lot of time and effort to make (not to mention the process of actually discovering it. Good luck to anyone who is going to pursue that venture), not to mention the danger of improperly handling Arcanium (Breaking it making quite the hectic situation).

1 hour ago, ArcanicFable said:

For clarification:

This alloy has more uses than just "another anti spook weapon". This alloy is easily enchantable, which allows it to be applied to (as Cablam previously state) Arcanic items/Arcane engineering, and even more non-magical affairs (see Magnetus).

While it is able to harm spooks, keep in mind that this alloy requires a lot of time and effort to make (not to mention the process of actually discovering it. Good luck to anyone who is going to pursue that venture), not to mention the danger of improperly handling Arcanium (Breaking it making quite the hectic situation).

The lore is fantastically written and has some really cool points. I'm just afraid of the ultra meta that might ensue. Typically we don't have to worry about that in regards to technological innovation on the server (i.e the use is very clique-y or single use), but this seems like a god alloy. It just stands to reason that as soon as someone figured it out in RP it'd spread. And that's even assuming people bother going through the trouble of actually learning how to do it instead of just figuring it out OOC and finding some bullshit reason to figure it out IC. I guess what I'm trying to say is, the alloy is simply too powerful for anyone to expect that it won't be meta'd. Despite the intent of the lore, it will primarily phase out any Aurum/Magegold weaponry, making the entire drawback of needing gold as a weapon against undead. This'll just spread way out of hand for all the wrong reasons. But other than the Anti-Spook property, I think it's an interesting piece of lore.

9 hours ago, EclecticBoogaloo said:

-snip-

The forging part of this lore will remain secretive and require extensive research to complete. The forging process itself is by no means easy nor is it cheap. The resources required to even prepare to create one of these items are difficult to aquire at best. As of me writing this there isn't really any risk involved in the making of the metal other than a waste of resources and time. However, I am considering adding in a few caveats to try and limit production of the material further. As it stands right now though, this metal will not be able to be mass produced and the forging process will remain rather quiet among the three of us to prevent it from becoming super widespread. The creation of the metal and the research behind it will remain heavily moderated as well, akin to thanhium. Additionally, although it is not written here, the metal has a number of uses outide of weapons and armour that we at the very least will be attempting to create IRP. The whole "if it breaks it can't be reforged" aspect was added in to also limit the production of the metal as if you break it then you need to create an entirely new one from scratch which, as stated earlier, is difficult to do. 

Sorry if this is all over the place I am writing this out on my phone, if anything needs clarification just let me know. 

Edit: We have decided to add in risks to the forging process, increasing the chance of failure and causing varying levels of damage to the surroundings depending on the type of failure.

A metal that can keep the durability of iron, the spook-killing properties of aurum, and the magical properties of magegold all under one roof doesn't sound like the most balanced sort of thing, no matter how difficult it is to produce.

Also, you might want to add what alteration and fi' would do to this sort of thing, if any.

2 hours ago, Toodles78 said:

Also, you might want to add what alteration and fi' would do to this sort of thing, if any.

14 hours ago, cablam said:

Additionally, alteration has no effect on Arcanium as the mana is cemented within the metal and not tasked to do anything. However, prolonged exposure to Fi’ magic will remove the enhanced properties of Arcanium and leave the metal in the soft and brittle state, rendering it useless.

Very good point, amended. 

I'm heavily against this lore until you balance it, one of gold's main weaknesses is it's shitty durability and this just circumvents that.

This Lore has been accepted. Moved to Implemented Lore, it will be sorted to it's appropriate category soon.

Amendment: Arcanium is only potent against tainted beings that would be affected by aurum if it is based off of aurum or slayersteel.