[✗] Arcane Banishment

Mr. Etan

Arcane Banishment

e77ba7cb087e8db4d7d112cc440ee429.png

interplanar_tunnel_by_tituslunter-d5ee3xc.jpg

Arcane Node Torn in the Mortal Realm.

“The same surge of power that can bring forth the destruction and chaos from the void that has brought us the unjust views of the common can also reverse and banish such chaotic power as well.. For you see, We are the true controllers of the arcane gift, we who are gifted with the willpower to do such.” -The First Enchanter

Arcane Banishment is an art that follows through the specific standards of getting rid of the chaotic unplanned messed of the void, as most unplanned events can turn into tearing a rift into the void and opening a void that can corrupt the realm, or even release the fabled and feared voidal horrors. This voidal feat follows it’s steps out of alteration, in which the sorcerer is able to either patch a rift that has been torn open in the realm by weaving it closed with their own alteration on the rifts between the void and the mortal realm which is commonly practiced as translocation, or doing the opposite and forcing a voidal horror back into the void and banishing it from the mortal realms.

Arcane Banishment works by one user casting a focus of power on either a rift of Horror, and attempting to draw upon an alteration of such to either close the rift or send the horror back into the void by opening a rift that forces it back through. Most horrors may be more powerful and hold more stronger binds to the realm, A voidal arch-horror would for example need a full circling of powerful mages to banish it. In such a cases the caster would have to put a catalyst behind their spell which can be from a result of a Circling Ritual, Artifact, Archon Insight, etc. Even with a catalyst behind the caster the casting is still extremely taxing and would cause the user to most likely collapse from mana exertion.

Due to the simplicity of the art, banishment doesn't require a user to dedicate a full ‘slot’ of study for the art and this classifies it as a voidal feat. Due to this anyone can learn how to cast such so long they meet the criteria of being at least tier 3 in an arcane magic, thus individuals who have no experience with the void or have a deity connection will be unable to learn it.

8521c9d6047d26eb4da63fc62d19bd37.jpg

An example of a voidal horror.

Banishment Spells

Banish Rift

This spell is focused on closing and eliminating voidal rifts and nodes that rip holes in the veil between the mortal realm and the void. The caster focuses on the rift and begins to alter the energy around it to essentially sew the rift shut, for the first few days the rift will remain weakly shut before stabilizing, during this time occurrences of high voidal energy or purposeful tampering of the seal can cause it to tear open once more. Once the patch has stabilized it leaves behind a permanent eery distortion in the air from where the rift has been melded together, this scar is heavily melded but if any extreme occurrences of voidal disruption happened in the area, it could tear back open in a literal explosion, causing major area effects that a normal node would cause. The bigger  the rift the more power the caster needs behind them, resulting in a need for a catalyst. If one were to ever fail in closing a rift, the power could rebound immensely and actually cause the tear in the veil to rip open even more, causing more destruction and damage and making it harder to close in their next attempt.

An example to such casting:

Sarrion would twitch, his gaze becoming locked on the rift that spewed voidal arcania upon the realm.

Suddenly the air around the rift would distort heavily, a surge of power ringing the air as Sarrion then forced his palm forward, a line of arcanic energy connected between him and the rift.

The rift would begin to have the arcanic energy run through it like a threaded needled, suddenly it would begin to be forced closed.

Inch by inch the rift is tugged closed before being completely sealed, leaving the air slightly distorted where the rift once stood, sarrion panting in exhaustion.

Banish Horror

This spell is revolved around breaking the bond between the horror and the mortal realm and the void, forcing it back from where it came from. To do this the mage must focus heavily on the horror and begin to channel a connection, from there they urge the horror back, attempting to sever its connection. Obviously during this the mage becomes extremely vulnerable to attacks and should always have someone protecting them. And of course more powerful horrors will have a stronger connection, making it so the caster needs more power behind them, a catalyst if you would. If one were to fail in this time of attempting to banish the horror, it may rebound the power and actually increase the power of the horror slightly, making it even harder to banish the next time.

An example of casting:

Sarrion and his mages would face off with a smaller demi-horror. The archon would bring forward and open his palm while the others got ready to defend him.

Suddenly a surge of energy rippled the air, an arcanic energy being tethered between the archon and the horror, the air around the horror would begin to become distorted.

During this time Sarrion wouldn't move, too focused on casting, the mages by his side would defend him from attack after attack from the enraged horror.

After time passed the Horror would shutter, its existence suddenly being consumed by the distortion as it was banished back into the void.

Sarrion would drop to his knees panting in exhaustion as the others erupted in cheer. A distortion left behind where the horror was banished.

Red Lines

You must be at least tier 3 in a voidal magic to learn this feat.

Any casting of this feat is extremely exhausting in the end, no matter the size of the rift or the power of the horror, even someone who is an Archon would still find themselves extremely exhausted from the feat, roleplay this accordingly.

Bear in mind the power of the rift or horror and communicate with the ET or LT behind it, as the more powerful this chaotic event is the more power you will need, roleplay this accordingly.

Banishment cannot work on voidal creatures such as atronachs, conjuration, or Archons. This is a reversion magic based around closing mage screwups not a way to get around warding.

If the spell ends up being rebount from a failed attempt, be sure to rp the effects properly as the mage would end up being extremely drained of their mana due to the rebound and the ET/LM Who RP's the Rift or Horror will end up having to give it either the slight power boost or tearing the rift larger.

Learning Banishment

Arcane Banishment may be learned one of two ways, being taught by a user with a proper TA in the feat or self teaching it if one already has an ma for an alteration.

Once the student has an MA or ST for banishment they must first learn how to close rifts by trial and error, or by closing one's purposely created. Once they do this and successfully close their first rift they have learned banishment. To further progress in banishment one must attempt it on a horror, their first attempt may not be successful but it will be a learning point in which their next attempt will prove to be even more rewarding. Learning banish horror is the hardest due to how sparse horror summoning is, as they're typically accidents.

If anyone ends up having questions on the lore feel free to PM me on the forums, which will produce a faster response. I will also be keeping an eye out for all responses and accept all forms of constructive criticism.

I think we're giving too much unchecked utility to arcane users, just my two cents. 

Edit: I'd rather see this in something like Druidism or Shamanism - Magics that recently, have not had a huge range of utility added to them, unlike voidal magic what with MArts and Feats. There's absolutely no reason to keep adding self-sufficient tools to the arcanist's toolbelt. You're making Alteration a stupidly OP spec. 

Edit-Edit: Or even like, Anti-Mages. I just don't think Voidal mages need any more buffs, there's nothing they can't take care of right now.

Just now, Silver Vandal said:

Fi rift closing sounds fun. Can I write that? @DISCOLIQUID

Damn dude that would be sick, tbh - do it, you could also write like lore for Fi' mages to "corrupt" or "chain" voidal horrors and make them their pets that rejected voidal magic, making them like anti-mage pets

dope ideas here

noggin's officially joggin'

1 minute ago, Tahmas said:

and even has one in his own head. 

voidally charged almond activation 

Although I'd like to say I submit to the philosophy that magics should be expanded, not piled on top of one another... It's a little silly to compare this as a full magic and then say right afterward that cognatism fits into that 'simple utility' that defines magical feats, as cognatism used to be a full magic on its own and displays a variety of uses beyond what we see here, even if it's not large. Of course, I can understand saying this removes the point of a voidal horror being the risk for tampering with arcane magics and simply banishing them would be making such things irrelevant... But I imagined this being something that would require a large group effort in the endeavor of expunging the eldritch beings back to where they came. You know, the whole point of circling which was to make something in arcane magic that involved cooperation and team effort through rituals and such?

I helped give some insight for Tox about this magic and expressed the possibility of having the same functional effects as this magic all the while proposing it as a high-tiered ability of abjuration/warding. Meaning it would require the usage of magic-boosting things perhaps like circling or blood magics in order to gain enough power. Then once having enough power one could effectively use their magic to 'dispell' the rifts or horrors as they are by nature magical anomalies. I know as things are currently that may not fully be possible, or maybe it is... I've never considered it heavily, but yeah. I know that often people are worried about the vast utility given to voidal mages, but that's some what the point of arcane magic. I'm a little more liberal in philosophy and think people should be able to RP magic and expand on existing ones rather than further diluting the system by stacking things more and more.  There's also always the possibility of referring to voidal feats as 'magic feats' and giving such small abilities outside the norm for things like dark arts users and deific casters.

EDIT: And basically, I think we need to fixate less on 'they have too much!' and more on 'we have too little!'. Instead of trying to block out the potential of expanding existing magics, one should perhaps make attempts to make all magics further defined and given greater ability or purpose. You think your magic group is becoming lacking? Write some proposals to expand it.

30 minutes ago, Tahmas said:

Snip

Some incredible feedback, thank you and I can agree and see where you're comming from.

I wrote this with the concept of helping open up doors for more rp with mages though at this point Im thinking it could just be reduced down to closing rifts perhaps. 

20 minutes ago, Gladuos said:

I know that often people are worried about the vast utility given to voidal mages, but that's some what the point of arcane magic. 

There's absolutely no need to have this mentality. Allow me to demonstrate what I mean when I'm addressing the absolute banana-crazy nut-blasting power of void mages by crafting a few Top Tier™ Characters.

Fobman, the Mage - Archon, Tier 5 Alterationist, Tier 5 Telekinetic, Tier 4 Mental Magic, Tier 4 Voidal Shifting, Tier 3 Trans

locationist, + Golemancer, Cognitist, Displacement, and Feeling. In addition, why not throw in an MArt for a shield that weighs less and is warded against.. idk.. Necromancy

This character can turn into energy; create literal floating castles; lift almost cars; turn stone to dust; ward against most magical properties; abjure incoming magical attacks; develop enchantments at their will; summon daggers, spears, swords from the void to then use as weapons; read minds; create singular illusions, delete, edit, and restore memories; teleport short distance; teleport long distances; store books or trinkets in the void for access at any time; create living stone servants; read their own mind; discover secrets about the world; discover secrets about any item they want; use those secrets to make more enchants; and for some ******* reason, have an anti-necro shield.

Cuccboi, the Paladin - Keeper, T5 Xannite. 

This character can use tendrils of light; heal most wounds at great cost of their energy; create shields, armor, weapons, and arrows of starlight that hurt spooks and dragons; and shoot dragons down from the sky.

Failing Example #3, the Druid - Arch-Druid, T5 Control/Communion, T5 Healing, T4 Blight Healing, T4 Shapeshifting

This character can control nature to fight or grow in their favor; remove blights upon the world and cleanse taints; can heal many mortal wounds; speak to animals; can turn into an animal. 

Don't give void mages anything else, please?

EDIT: "EDIT: And basically, I think we need to fixate less on 'they have too much!' and more on 'we have too little!'. Instead of trying to block out the potential of expanding existing magics, one should perhaps make attempts to make all magics further defined and given greater ability or purpose. You think your magic group is becoming lacking? Write some proposals to expand it."

It's so much easier to write lore for Voidal magic than it is for deific magics. Please don't continue to Batman-Belt Voidal Magic and then look at failingly weak holy magics and other things and go "lmao nerds haha just WrItE lOrE"

Also please don't refer to another group as 'someone else's' magic group - all magic groups belong to the server as a whole, and balancing them is in everyone's best interest.

6 minutes ago, DISCOLIQUID said:

snip

You know it's really easy to skew lists and examples to help support one's own argument. Saying something like 'control nature' in one example while in another example you separate things into stuff like: edit, delete, modify memories. There's a great number of things one can accomplish with the overlooked example of 'controls nature'. Essentially, I'm saying people should be able to RP magic as they please and what seems fun to them. If you think one set of 'Top Tier' magic users seems lacking... Write expansions!

2 minutes ago, Gladuos said:

Write expansions!

*looks at their 18 pages and sighs before taking a sip of eggnog and continuing*

You'll get your pet one day, @Tahmas <3

10 minutes ago, Gladuos said:

You know it's really easy to skew lists and examples to help support one's own argument. Saying something like 'control nature' in one example while in another example you separate things into stuff like: edit, delete, modify memories. There's a great number of things one can accomplish with the overlooked example of 'controls nature'. Essentially, I'm saying people should be able to RP magic as they please and what seems fun to them. If you think one set of 'Top Tier' magic users seems lacking... Write expansions!

You know, I considered that point when writing those lists, but I didn't bother, because the current guide for mental magic is like 6 pages of text whereas the guide for Druidism is like 2 - I think framing mental magic as being more robust than Communion/Control is a completely fair game. I suppose you could break it down like 'control roots, control plants, control trees, control grass', but I could also 'rewrite memories from the age of 6, rewrite memories from the age of 7, rewrite memories from the age of 8', and I didn't.  (also I didn't include **** like soultrees because keepers, archon, and soul-tree druids are all immortal anyway)

Again, you're batman-belting voidal magic - stop. It's easier to write Voidal Lore than holy lore, as EVIDENCED BY THE SHEER LAUNDRY LIST OF **** YOU CAN DO AS A VOIDAL MAGE, take it upon yourself to help other failing magics instead of controlling the means of production. Like I said in my post above - it's the server as a whole's job to make sure magic is balanced. 

Edit - Proof

Spoiler

~
Once again, this ability requires the diversion of the target’s consciousness into a dreamlike state. The Mental Mage may then choose to target an already existing memory (by first discovering it) and explore it with the target’s conscious recollection of it. They may then force the target to relive the memory, using Mental Illusion to edit certain parts of it. Though the entire memory may not be entirely changed, aspects of it can be altered, such as the presence of certain details or the sudden appearance of previously non-existent details. For the memory to be anchored and accepted as true by the target’s mind, one must ensure it is as believable as the original, unaltered version. Anything straying from this would be impossible to do. If all parameters pass, the target’s mind is made to accept the manipulated memory as real. The process is uncomfortable, and a sense of panic is often felt in the target when their memory is manipulated, whilst the Mental Mage experiences greater exhaustion.

Mental Mages are also capable of manipulating Memories so that they are not blocked by the shroud of confusion, stress-related amnesia or more. This type of therapy is heavily dependant on the condition that represses these memories, but the fact of the matter is that they must still be present and existing to be able to be manipulated into being accessed again. Grave consequences can be had from this, however, as a mind oft causes forgetfulness to relieve itself of the stress said memories cause.

ONLY MEMORY MANIPULATION GUIDELINES 

vs

All of Control.

Tier 1:

The Druid has meditated and gained skill after attunement. Soon they begin to learn to interact from the world around them and make requests of it. At this stage, most requests go unheard without a powerful Druid’s assistance, but with focus they may be able to shift a plant and coax it to grow slightly.

Tier 2:

After many lessons and hours of meditation, the Druid can now coax plants to obey more of their requests. With effort, the Druid can bless a small area of crops into a healthier state. They have also learned how life flows through these plants and can now coax them to grow slightly faster than normal, but not at an overly excellatered rate.

Tier 3:

The Druid has spent years in both meditation and lessons, and now plants will obey most of their requests. With focus, a Druid can coax a flower from its seed at a much faster rate, and their blessings on crops have begun to hold much more weight. The farther they excel into this tier the more and more they understand how to request things from plants, and even animals.

Tier 4:

The Druid has spent a few decades meditating and taking counsel from their peers and instructors.  They can manipulate roots, vines, and smaller plants with ease, and larger plants and trees with relative ease..  They can grow plants to full size with focus and effort over a fairly short period of time. Animals have begun to note your presence when you enter an area, and are more likely to respond to your requests.

Tier 5:

The Druid has spent several decades in lessons, and in meditation beyond these lessons, attuning to the intricacies of the living world around them.  Plantlife around you responds actively to your presence, flowers blooming even in their off-seasons as you pass by, crops seeming more vibrant, and plantlife healthier and lush with minimal attention from the Druid.  Nearly all requests that do not upset Balance will heed to the Druid’s call, even to the most ancient of plants and trees to some extent.