[✓] The Patron of Endings; Sokar

Sokar; The Patron of Endings

Image result for fantasy priest female

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A mortal who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

Music theme: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fg0nSp71Yss

When the bell tolls, everyone’s hands and feet will stop in their tracks, swiveling their head to see the beginning or ending. Such is the power of a bell, such is the power of its chimes. The start and death of a day both walk hand in hand with the ringing of bells along the way; greeting or dismissing the sun upon its merry way. Death is not a curse, death is not a gift. Death is death, as ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Death just is.

Even though the Seven Skies each have their own guardian, but it is Sokar, who acts as the ferryman for the Arch-Aengul Aeriel, Caretaker of Souls. Sokar does not reap, she guides. Ringing her bells and chimes upon her waist, she will approach the fading life with a candle and book in hand as she leads the souls towards Judgement (Relative Center). Such is the saying of clerics, who banish by bell, by candle, by book all of those who cheat the Arch-Aengul, Aeriel. Death is inevitable. Death is inexorable. Cheating, will simply be paid in twofold when the sounds of her bells signal her approach.

Before the Arch-Aengul Aeriel, took upon the mantle of Caretaker of Souls, the dead simply wandered and were lost in the great expanse of the world, inhabiting the land with the living, never leaving. Ghosts and re-animated corpses were prevalent, until She put an end to it by imposing her will. She needed someone to help her shepherd all these lost lambs wandering the mortal plain, so she took upon a disciple, who carried no name. And so she christened her after the ancient name of a giant Falcon, Seker. 

It was she who taught mortals her tongueless speech, for the Arch-Aengul Aeriel deemed that death should be silent, dead mortals may cry no more for her mercy. The souls of the lost could not find their way to their afterlife, as they could not speak or cry out for help. But as a mute herself, she too could not tell them their way. As she flew over the land in her grey skirt, distressed over her lost lambs, she noticed a group of souls gathering at a still silver pond within a large ashen forest. The silver pond was as small as a small tree stump, but curiously, it would not move. Nothing penetrated its surface, the leaves and insects would fly around it. A ripple spread across the pond, breaking its tranquility. She glanced skywards, to find the disturbance of peace. An overhanging rock in the shape of an owl was dripping drops of silver steadily into the pool, rhythmically resonating across the forest.  

I5L-HA3owrrKrnsgvR2bf3oqNIgIcobJJjPUQNJ81AutyQ8CafTJv9dA4JIUNhi7iNuOXBLepzYx3HBVz7HkGeVkLbrmQVad4WtCPjHk2cFk0023gdg1eUkbdh3iaaBdr9Ew5nz4

The owl was crying, spilling its silver tears into the pond, turning it into silver as well. She understood that the owl grieved for its dead children for so long, it became stone. The tears were a call for its children, to let them know that their mother missed them. And so they did, as little  souls fluttered around the silver lake. But the noise too attracted the souls of elves, dwarves and humans. It resonated throughout the Path, calling indiscriminately for all who were lost. The orcs followed Apophet to his Spirit Realm, and simply ignored the scene.

Sokar dipped three fingers into the silver pond, pulling out a large droplet of pure silver to hang upon her finger tips. To protect its form, she encased it in a slightly larger dome of silver as well, forming the first bell as she rang it for the lost souls as they followed in her wake. Sokar realized that she could convey her wishes with just the tone of the bell, and so she happily rang it forth for everyone lost on the Path. She has fashioned two more bells since, giving all three of them a name each ; Astaerel the Weeper, Kibeth the Walker, Saraneth the Binder.

As the souls departed from the Judgement, she would lead them in their next trip as they made their way to and past the Relative Center, where the souls are weighed and judged by the Arch-Aengul Aeriel herself. She herself judges no one, only to take her instructions from her Mistress, leading the souls either to the paradise of the Center, or to languish in the hellish plains of the Soul Stream, otherwise known as Ebrietæs. With the toiling of Astaerel, she guides those who have done well for the world, so that their passing is mourned by those who were touched by their good deeds. With the toiling of Kibeth, she guides those who have remained gray all their lives. Doing little good or little bad, as they make their endless journey towards the Relative Center one day. With the toilings of Saraneth, she leashed the souls of the dark, of the dread, of the abominations of evil towards Ebrietæs, to forever roam as wretched spirits.

It was said that during the fight against the onslaught of her wayward Daemon Iblees to protect the Soul Stream from his clutches, she rang the contrary bell of several sounds, Kibeth the Walker, to warn villages and towns of impending attacks, forcing them to evacuate before hordes of the dead crashed against settlements. Make no mistake, Sokar is no pacifist. In the war against Iblees, she wielded the largest bell, Astaerel the Weeper in her right hand, forcing the dead to rest in the name of her Aengul. In her left hand, she wielded deepest bell, Saraneth the Binder, against cultists that would harm others, binding them to her will.

When it was time for the divine to return to the Seven Skies, she glanced back at the mortals. Scared and unsure of their future, she presented a gift. Not to the four brothers, who fought and brought about this grief, but to all those that followed them. A musical note bound in gold, the first instrument for the descendants, celebrating their victory against all odds. She named it Bellot, the Speaker, which eventually evolved to being simply just ‘Bell’. It is why weddings, funerals, church ceremonies, war, all pay homage to Sokar as the ending of a journey with each ringing of the golden bell.

Purpose: 

I figured that there wasn't a grim reaper esque figure in LOTC yet, and saw this as a chance to promote a different version of death. Death to many characters is unknown and vague, and the concept of afterlife is merely a passing mention, whereas in reality death and its realm can span many realms, from the Greeks to Christianity. I hope to add some flavour to the deities in more common use in society, as well as being almost Aesop fabley in nature.

8/4/2017 Edits to change Sokar to patron of Aeriel, incorporating Soul Stream lore. 

Reads fairly well (a few grammar mistakes) the one thing I would say is the ref pic is ******* edgy- although any "grimreaper" esc thing is; that picture is particularly painful.

1 hour ago, lev said:

Reads fairly well (a few grammar mistakes) the one thing I would say is the ref pic is ******* edgy- although any "grimreaper" esc thing is; that picture is particularly painful.

I agree. It doesn't really matter in the end but here's something I think would be nicer that I had in my folders.

Spoiler

aq1aV0b.jpg

n6sdwjh.jpg

qT3bEVK.jpg

FbwwLMX.jpg

Other than that, I like it. Nice twist on Charon.

The title is a bit too similar to Gazardiasdasd whatever the Aengul of new beginnings is called. Might want to look at a thesaurus.

Is she related to the alaskan bullworm?

Could we try going for a Daemon?

Edit: This would befit a Daemon more than it would an Aengul, truth be told. Besides, we've far too many only the Aengulic spectrum.

5 hours ago, Tsuyose said:

Could we try going for a Daemon?

Edit: This would befit a Daemon more than it would an Aengul, truth be told. Besides, we've far too many only the Aengulic spectrum.

Honestly I cant tell the difference between Daemons and Aenguls haha. I suppose a Daemon would be fine.

And to all those who told me about the picture, it was the only one with a black dress and a scythe :( Couldn't find a black blind person per say...

Image result for blind lady in black dress

This was about as close to as I could get, and there's no bells!

This is great, but there's already a spirit that comes to the mortal realm and makes sure souls get to their proper places, one that guides them in the spirit realm so they go to where they're meant to be in the afterlife, and then there's already an Aengul of Death (Nemiisae, yo) too that in some sects that follow her already does some of the same things you're speaking of. I'm all for new lore being added, but this would invalidate some RP that's already gone on, and that's something that scares me.

It's alright for differing cultures to have different outlooks, names and even entirely different representations of the divine, but when you start getting into definitive things such as this, they're all rendered null because suddenly it's, "no, that's not what happens, that isn't valid and your character is dumb for thinking that."

in a perfect world I'd want this merged with the pre-existing aengul of death who has very little written about her other than differing IC beliefs

2 hours ago, Sir K Andruske said:

Why does it have to be a human form? 

Aenguls were made by the creator and for some reason the creator likes humanoid forms for his sentient creations.

spirits come in any shape they want, though

and some aenguls can shapeshift (like nemiisae yo)

When a Dwarf dies, he travel to Khaz'A'Dentrumm, the Halls of the Dead. There, the Brathmordakin bids for the Dwarf's soul. Dungrimm is our god of death, sort-of. 

https://wikia.lordofthecraft.net/index.php?title=Auction_of_the_Dead

https://wikia.lordofthecraft.net/index.php?title=The_Brathmordakin#Dungrimm.2C_Guardian_of_The_Dead

Under review due to the changes now made, expect a verdict in about a week.