[✗] Runic Handguns

Cpt_Noobman

~Runic Handguns~

Image result for dwarven musket

Shortly after the invention of the rune cannon, development went into smaller versions for personal use on the battlefield. Once again gunpowder versions of the weapon were tried, only to result in failure despite the expertise of the Dwarven Engineers. So, the designs were turned over to Dizzy Irongrinder, as well as the runesmiths of Arcadia with the oversight of Fili Grandaxe, to try and complete development on the weapons utilizing runesmithing. Based on the same design as the previous rune cannon, it was quite easy to adapt the same concept for use as a personal weapon. Two versions of the final weapon were produced, one for commanders as an ornament of rank, and one slightly more practical as a weapon for the rank-and-file soldier. The runic pistol and musket were born.

Mechanics

The two weapons are both relatively inaccurate, in contrast with the highly precise and deadly rune cannon. The most practical use for runic muskets are in very close quarters, or in firing lines of highly trained marksmen, though some sharpshooters have proven able to maintain semblance of accuracy over increased ranges. The runic pistol has practically little or no use at all beyond a closer range, and is used mostly as a status symbol for commanders and prominent Dwarves.

Loading Procedure

• Open the pressure valve

• Insert ammunition, standard is a lead ball

• Close pressure valve, brush finger over rune to begin pressure

• Once the gauge approaches a firing level, release valve to fire

• Repeat.

Repairs

As with all runes, the steam producing runes that allow the handguns to fire wear out with use, and will need to be replaced after every few engagements, if the weapons were to be rp’d properly.

Pros/Cons

Pros

• High damage if a hit is successful

• Can pierce through light armor with ease, and some heavier armor types.

• Can be used by unskilled warriors once taught how to operate them (easy to load and fire, no strength or intelligence requirement)

• Increased range over conventional weapons if operated correctly

Cons

• Low fire rate (it takes about 15 seconds to reload between shots, approximately 3 emotes)

• Must be produced by highly trained workers in factories

• Field repairs are impossible without a runesmith to perform them

OOC Explanations

[Representation]

The musket and pistol shall be mc’ly represented by a bow and arrow, I suggest using armor piercing arrows for the greatest representation. These items are already on the server, and will not pose any advantage over those using bows and crossbows in a pvp fight.

[Justification]

Firearms, or firearms-like devices have already made entry into the server, and have integrated quite well without diminishing the value of any technology already on the server. I hope adding these weapons will increase the diversity and scale of the server, and support the fantasy theme we follow. The humans in Oren have already made good use of magical flint locks, so it would make sense for other races to keep up with that as well.

[Exclusiveness]

Although this is a Dwarven invented weapon, I do not wish to see it strictly race-locked. It would be perfectly feasible for other races to come across individual weapons, or to attempt to adapt the tech for their own use. However, I would like to ask large groups of players to respect the fact that these weapons would be largely unavailable outside of the dwarven kingdom, but if they wish to arm their own men with weapons as well I wouldn’t attempt to prevent them from such. My vision for the wartime server is something similar to Warhammer fantasy where the old and late medieval world go hand in hand and create a truly unique and diverse fantasy experience.

If anyone has any questions, suggestions, or other advice/criticism please contact me or reply to this post, I would be more than willing to negotiate this lore with the LT.

just give us real guns for ****'s sake, there are fuckers going around in air ships

Just now, Fishy said:

just give us real guns for ****'s sake, there are fuckers going around in air ships

^. But in the meantime I hope this will work

all guns need to be extirpated permanently from the lord of the craft's lore.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." #Murica

22 minutes ago, Oodles said:

all guns need to be extirpated permanently from the lord of the craft's lore.

I completely agree, though while they remain I see no reason why something like this wouldn't be possible.

27 minutes ago, Chamo said:

Nah, don't you understand only people who can get technological advancements, like firearms, are magic users?

Assuming you're referencing Medeusculors: these could hardly be referred to as a technological advancement. They're literally purely aesthetic. The only slight boon is an improved aim, but you still need to connect to the void, draw out the element and launch it at your enemy. The trigger doesn't even really do anything.

As for the actual lore -- it's well written, but I don't personally believe guns (that actually act as guns) have a place on LotC. That is only my opinion, though. Good luck on the lore!

1 hour ago, Fishy said:

Wait what? Really?

Also, yes, give us some guns. Really shitty early ones. Nothing more nothing less. Why else would we have blackpowder? (I mean we had explosive arrows. Really.)