[✗] Le Chatelier's Planar Compression

TavernLich

Le Chatelier’s Planar Compression

=O=

Preface

“... the purpose of magicka is to control. Control of oneself, the elements and, perhaps most self-evident, one’s environment. Ironically, the voidal magicka sorcerers' currently employ fails to encompass effective control over the latter. However, by employing the use of a combination of magicka, those being telekinesis and transfiguration, such a feat may be achieved with much toil and patience.”

— Excerpt from Le Chatelier’s Planetary Dictate

Concept

A means to erect defenses and manipulate a given area, Le Chatelier's Planar Compression functions via the principle of cause-and-effect. By constructing a scale model of a given area (or system) and introducing a variety of controlled factors, stimuli and focal points one may remotely operate and physically manipulate said area.

However, before attempting to utilize such magicka, any aspiring sorcerer must first understand the concept of planar compression. As stated above, planar compression is made plausible by establishing a strong magickal bond between an area and a scale model of the given area. This bond can only function via focal points. To simply define focal points: intangible artificial and magickal conduits necessary to establish a magickal perimeter around a desired area (or system). A minimum of four focal points is required to construct a magickal perimeter; in the case that the minimum amount required has been met, the destruction of a single focal point will result in the destruction of the spellwork as dictated by the principle of cause-and-effect. The addition of excess focal points will function similarly and will fail to have any effect on the spellwork whatsoever.

bMLG7PS4plpF861g_hgbnRwOrlTZMtP5YmedJ7DT1BQ9lqP9hOLt8ZLPfGwNEyXlu_lNmva-avz6ECg6_4ix2sXomEai8m1Rq04m2T-SDwGNLLTBH7Pw8mUCQmrhgLoD8BT8tuUh

Figure 1 — One of many forms a focal point make take.

The creation of a focal point is, perhaps, the most tedious and difficult step in the process of planar compression. Its creation requires a sorcerer to first draw forth his or her mana, expel it into the palm of his or her hands and, in a fluid and timely motion, draw the focal point. The resulting focal point is unique to the sorcerer at hand but will function similarly to others (see figure 1). The focal point must then be empowered by a series of hand gestures that act as a vehicle for further mana to flow into the focal point; these function similarly to a funnel (see figure 2). Much like the actual focal point, hand gestures will be unique to one another. Empowered focal points are invisible to the naked eye and may be placed within a solid structure/ object or in the air (which are invulnerable to physical assault). It is imperative that a sorcerer realizes the dangers of placing focal points within the air: while incoming magicka (such as intermediate-level evocation) may damage but not entirely destroy a focal point, it will render the focal point visible to all and weaken one’s hold over the area while those placed within solid structures/ objects will remain invisible but are vulnerable to physical assault. Focal points placed within solid objects only require the slightest of smears or scratches to fully disrupt the magicka within and will result in failed spellwork.  It is also important to note that only a sorcerer learned and practiced in voidal feeling may hope to sense an invisible focal point.

anigif_original-grid-image-3571-1453332331-1.gif

Figure 2 — A sorceress aiding another in empowering a focal point.

After the successful creation of four focal points, the aspiring sorcerer must then construct a scale and exact model of the desired area. The most insignificant of nooks and crannies must be accounted for. A gem, similar to those used in enchantments, must then be placed within the model to act as a conduit between the focal points, the model and the given area. It this gem that also enables the sorcerer to know who is within the system; those within the system will appear as small, flickering lights within the model.

Practical Application

Once both focal points and a model have been made, a sorcerer may then begin to use planar compression. Once again, planar compression functions via the principle of cause-and-effect. When the model is exposed to stimuli, such as when one opens the model’s door, the area (or system) will compensate and adapt to the change by opening the same corresponding door. If the system’s door is closed so, too, will the model’s.

Example (Novice):

After having toiled over numerous failed focal points and models, Bob finally sits before a crude, but functioning, product.

His lips quiver as he clumsily places his index finger and thumb over the base of a miniature door knob.

With a twist and a push, the door is shoved outward and ajar.

A nigh inaudible creek sounds from the corridors behind Bob; he leans against his shoulder and pans over to the door behind him. It is open.

The flustered, and sweating, Bob slumps in his chair and releases a victorious sigh of relief.

Example (Advanced):

Bob plants himself in between a replica model of his house and a generously padded seat. The room’s only door is barred shut with a spare chair.

His lips quivered as footsteps sounded up the halls and through a flight of stairs.

His fingers, atrophied but swift and deft, reach for the miniature rug that lined the stairs. With an inaudible grunt of effort, he’d pull the thing down onto the floor beneath.

He hears the clash of steel against steel. The armed intruders had slipped and fallen; the stair’s rug was violently torn from beneath their feet and.

Learning

Learning and applying planar compression requires lessons from a sorcerer already trained in it and a strong knowledge and command over alteration magicka.

Red Lines

- When manipulating an area (or system) the given sorcerer must remain still in a stationary position. They may not partake in other tasks.

- Living creatures may not be directly manipulated.

- A sorcerer’s manipulation is limited to what a strongman or descendant is physically capable of performing. Thus, a sorcerer may not lift vast tracts of land into the air and so on and so forth.

- It only requires a sorcerer (who has been trained in voidal feeling) to come into contact with a focal point (within air or solid object) to recognize its presence.

- The maximum are affected is limited to a 60x60 block radius.

STOP BUFFING VOIDAL MAGIC

WE WENT OVER THIS

YOU DON'T NEED MORE TRASH, YOU'RE ALREADY OP AS ****

holy god.

Normally I'd say something to recant against discoliquid's previous statement, but I don't really like this and think it's unnecessary anyway. To add, an alterationist is already capable of creating something like this by enchanting many objects to do the desired effect in an area, and then is capable of creating a system of enchantments used to activate said other enchantments from a single smaller location. In essence, this is already possible with lore that already exists... Despite likely being much more expensive to do IC due to needing many materials with which to enchant efficiently. And less powerful, because the objects can have their enchantments dispelled just fine by destruction of mana gems/magegold or otherwise warding and such.

I remember I pitched an idea like this to peeps, it's just that telekinesis can do this already. Also, violates line of sight rule

3 hours ago, Gladuos said:

Normally I'd say something to recant against discoliquid's previous statement, but I don't really like this and think it's unnecessary anyway. To add, an alterationist is already capable of creating something like this by enchanting many objects to do the desired effect in an area, and then is capable of creating a system of enchantments used to activate said other enchantments from a single smaller location. In essence, this is already possible with lore that already exists... Despite likely being much more expensive to do IC due to needing many materials with which to enchant efficiently. And less powerful, because the objects can have their enchantments dispelled just fine by destruction of mana gems/magegold or otherwise warding and such.

A lot of things can be achieved through alteration; however, alteration is limited in the fact that it panders to LotC's rigid system of magic, which demands an equally rigid slab of rules and laws and hard tangibility, while also attempting to exert whimsy and free rein. The resulting product is impracticality. Yes, you are correct. Yes, this may be plausible given the current magic system. No, it is not practical. 

What this lore adds is an extra layer of practicality. You don't need to tip-toe your way across LotC's gauntlet in order to appease a system that contradicts itself.

2 hours ago, BathRugMan said:

I remember I pitched an idea like this to peeps, it's just that telekinesis can do this already. Also, violates line of sight rule

The magic actually functions via a cause-and-effect mechanism. Imagine a machine that can be turned on with a remote trigger. You don't need to see the whole machine to turn it on; you only need to see the trigger. Planar Compression works similarily, you need only to see/ use the trigger (the model in this case) in order for the machine to function (the system or area). 

Additionally, I was under the impression that the line of sight rule functions in tandem with the rule that a mage can operate in a space that he or she is very much aware of. An example of this would be when a mage summons lightning from the heavens. They can't see what's in the clouds yet they are able to call down lightning. Another one of LotC's many flaws, I suppose.

The magic you've proposed is unnecessary and is a part of a worrying and continual trend of power creep by voidal lore. This magic brings little to the server except to cushion your character fantasy more and empower your odd fascination with being able to do literally anything as a mage. If you truly cared about this power in specific, and not being some broken collection of annoyingly strong all-purpose 'limited only by your imagination!!!!' laundry list of game-cucking imbalances, you would commit to making it take up a full slot.

But you don't, and you won't. I might consider supporting this if it was designed not as an expansion of the already bloated corpse of a magic that is alteration, but if it was under the head of voidal translocation: a flavorful and interesting magic that doesn't receive enough credit for being a beautiful intersection of utility and voidal arcana.

#StopVoidalPowerCreep2k17

4 hours ago, DISCOLIQUID said:

The magic you've proposed is unnecessary and is a part of a worrying and continual trend of power creep by voidal lore. This magic brings little to the server except to cushion your character fantasy more and empower your odd fascination with being able to do literally anything as a mage. If you truly cared about this power in specific, and not being some broken collection of annoyingly strong all-purpose 'limited only by your imagination!!!!' laundry list of game-cucking imbalances, you would commit to making it take up a full slot.

But you don't, and you won't. I might consider supporting this if it was designed not as an expansion of the already bloated corpse of a magic that is alteration, but if it was under the head of voidal translocation: a flavorful and interesting magic that doesn't receive enough credit for being a beautiful intersection of utility and voidal arcana.

#StopVoidalPowerCreep2k17

Oh perhaps I wasn't clear. I fully intend for this to take up a magic slot (or two considering it requires extensive knowledge on two other magic).

As for the latter part of your comment, I am  confused about your complaints of "voidal power creep." Arcane magic is arguably the weakest and least appreciated magic. Are you perhaps under the assumption that arcane magic is an innately lesser form of magic (due to its widespread use) in comparison to dark magic? Because it sounds to me as though you aren't complaining about how arcane magic is now overpowering deific and dark magics (which it is not) but that it is now starting to level the playing field. In my opinion, as a player having played both non-voidal magic/ creatures and arcane magic, non-voidal magic is currently far more superior in terms of both combat, utility and freedom of creativity. If you want me to delve into the details of such, I can; however, you need only to scan the forums to see the stark difference between voidal and non-voidal magic. 

1 hour ago, TavernLich said:

Oh perhaps I wasn't clear. I fully intend for this to take up a magic slot (or two considering it requires extensive knowledge on two other magic).

As for the latter part of your comment, I am  confused about your complaints of "voidal power creep." Arcane magic is arguably the weakest and least appreciated magic. Are you perhaps under the assumption that arcane magic is an innately lesser form of magic (due to its widespread use) in comparison to dark magic? Because it sounds to me as though you aren't complaining about how arcane magic is now overpowering deific and dark magics (which it is not) but that it is now starting to level the playing field. In my opinion, as a player having played both non-voidal magic/ creatures and arcane magic, non-voidal magic is currently far more superior in terms of both combat, utility and freedom of creativity. If you want me to delve into the details of such, I can; however, you need only to scan the forums to see the stark difference between voidal and non-voidal magic. 

If it takes up a slot, bingo bango bongo, I'm 600% fine with it.

In regards to comparing Dark magic and Holy magic and Void magic, having played void and dark ad nauseam, I would say that holy magics, bar the whole warding spooks literally from cities (which is also stupid), are the weakest of the three in terms of the stupidly vast utility and sheer amount of **** you can do. Voidal magic is not the weakest, and it certainly isn't the least appreciated, I'd give that one to Soul Puppetry. Anyway, to reiterate my point about what voidal powercreep is, lemme quote myself from another thread. 

Allow me to demonstrate what I mean when I'm addressing the absolute banana-crazy nut-blasting power of void mages by crafting a few Top Tier2122.png Characters.

Fobman, the Mage - Archon, Tier 5 Alterationist, Tier 5 Telekinetic, Tier 4 Mental Magic, Tier 4 Voidal Shifting, Tier 3 Translocationist, + Golemancer, Cognitist, Displacement, and Feeling. In addition, why not throw in an MArt for a shield that weighs less and is warded against.. idk.. Necromancy

This character can turn into energy; create literal floating castles; lift almost cars; turn stone to dust; ward against most magical properties; abjure incoming magical attacks; develop enchantments at their will; summon daggers, spears, swords from the void to then use as weapons; read minds; create singular illusions, delete, edit, and restore memories; teleport short distance; teleport long distances; store books or trinkets in the void for access at any time; create living stone servants; read their own mind; discover secrets about the world; discover secrets about any item they want; use those secrets to make more enchants; and for some ******* reason, have an anti-necro shield.

And I only picked one real combat magic here.

Cuccboi, the Paladin - Keeper, T5 Xannite. 

This character can use tendrils of light; heal most wounds at great cost of their energy; create shields, armor, weapons, and arrows of starlight that hurt spooks and dragons; and shoot dragons down from the sky.

Failing Example #3, the Druid - Arch-Druid, T5 Control/Communion, T5 Healing, T4 Blight Healing, T4 Shapeshifting

This character can control nature to fight or grow in their favor; remove blights upon the world and cleanse taints; can heal many mortal wounds; speak to animals; can turn into an animal. 

15 minutes ago, DISCOLIQUID said:

If it takes up a slot, bingo bango bongo, I'm 600% fine with it.

In regards to comparing Dark magic and Holy magic and Void magic, having played void and dark ad nauseam, I would say that holy magics, bar the whole warding spooks literally from cities (which is also stupid), are the weakest of the three in terms of the stupidly vast utility and sheer amount of **** you can do. Voidal magic is not the weakest, and it certainly isn't the least appreciated, I'd give that one to Soul Puppetry. Anyway, to reiterate my point about what voidal powercreep is, lemme quote myself from another thread. 

Allow me to demonstrate what I mean when I'm addressing the absolute banana-crazy nut-blasting power of void mages by crafting a few Top Tier2122.png Characters.

Fobman, the Mage - Archon, Tier 5 Alterationist, Tier 5 Telekinetic, Tier 4 Mental Magic, Tier 4 Voidal Shifting, Tier 3 Translocationist, + Golemancer, Cognitist, Displacement, and Feeling. In addition, why not throw in an MArt for a shield that weighs less and is warded against.. idk.. Necromancy

This character can turn into energy; create literal floating castles; lift almost cars; turn stone to dust; ward against most magical properties; abjure incoming magical attacks; develop enchantments at their will; summon daggers, spears, swords from the void to then use as weapons; read minds; create singular illusions, delete, edit, and restore memories; teleport short distance; teleport long distances; store books or trinkets in the void for access at any time; create living stone servants; read their own mind; discover secrets about the world; discover secrets about any item they want; use those secrets to make more enchants; and for some ******* reason, have an anti-necro shield.

And I only picked one real combat magic here.

Cuccboi, the Paladin - Keeper, T5 Xannite. 

This character can use tendrils of light; heal most wounds at great cost of their energy; create shields, armor, weapons, and arrows of starlight that hurt spooks and dragons; and shoot dragons down from the sky.

Failing Example #3, the Druid - Arch-Druid, T5 Control/Communion, T5 Healing, T4 Blight Healing, T4 Shapeshifting

This character can control nature to fight or grow in their favor; remove blights upon the world and cleanse taints; can heal many mortal wounds; speak to animals; can turn into an animal. 

I'll be honest -- I had a lot of fun reading this. Thank you, I always enjoy your humorous candor.

Anyway, I think your examples are accurate, except for the first (arcane). That only applies to a few players, and in return for making me chortle I'll be honest too, those few that apply are the special snowflakes/ "power creeps" (Phil, Jax, Tsu, etc. I probably decreased my chances of acceptance there but, hey, everyone is thinking it but no one has the guts to say it) . For the most part, the voidal community are a bunch of plebs (including myself) trying to make a name for themselves in the shadows of those with abundant "connections." 

P.S. Sorry Phil and whoever else I offended. You have to admit it's true, though.

EDIT: I also see you fail to include dark magic. Which includes a bunch of wraiths, wights, sentient war machines, etc. Most of these possess the ability to level whole villages, summon bone/ normal drakes/ dragons, use evil playdough, etc.

1 minute ago, TavernLich said:

******* SNIPPED LIKE A MALE DOG

I mean, fair

I didn't mind voidal magic back when you had 5 slots and that was it, because you could shimmy whatever dicked up plan you wanted as long as it could come out of a pentaslot system.

Now with voidal feats there's no ******* LEMONS (read: limits) to what can be shoved into a character

literally if all you have is conjuration and voidal translocation and some other cucked off magic subtype that no one uses like air evocation, then i don't care about you

atronachs worry me a bit, but every magic and their mother (besides holy orders? :] ) can make mindless servant knights

if this **** takes up a slot then i have no problem with it

#BringBackSlottedMagics2k17

#VoidalFeatsWereAMistake

19 minutes ago, DISCOLIQUID said:

(besides holy orders? :] ) can make mindless servant knights

what do you think keepers are

This Lore has been denied. Topic moved to Denied Lore forum.

The team does not feel that this magic is needed nor does it bring much to the server. If you have any questions feel free to PM me or another member of the team.