[Shelved][✓] [Fae Lore] Satyr Re-written

HedgeHug

Note upfront:

Spoiler

This lore is proposed as a continuation from Sloth's to offer more depth seeing the Satyr race has gotten a great deal of positive feedback and has aquired a large amount of players. This piece was made from his to offer these more depth in the creature they roleplay as to improve and guide it where necessary.

Spoiler

The Satyr

5d78569b673a0a6c9384b559029894e7.jpg

Origins

From the most innocent of dedicants - to the most profound of elder druii it is agreed upon all that the Aspects act in mysterious ways. Every once in awhile this is confirmed in what appears to be nothing more than what one may call: Magic. Meladmiriel, Spriggans, Cerviaurs and the many - many more Fae-like creatures were brought to be by what was thought to be Cerridwyns breath and Cernunnos’ fire.

And so - a new creature came to be: The Satyr.

Appearance

The Satyr is a Fae like no other. Their body, below the waist, is that of a goat or ram, including the tail. Its legs adorned in a soft fur that can take on a variety of different colors - though black or brown shades are most familiar. Where they would have feet, hooves have taken their places. Their upper body appears to be most similar to that of the Mali’Ame, or just humans in general. Their hair growth is wild and thusly not only female Satyrs can be seen with longer hair. Slightly above their goat-like ears they grow horns, which can curl or remain somewhat straight. Satyrs are sexually dimorphic to an extent. With males muscular and masculine with tanned skin, dark fur and hair, often building muscles quite easily. Males grow to be between 5'10 and 6'2 most often, and are typically darker colored. Female satyrs are beautifully formed, with pale to slightly tanned skin, often with freckles and lighter colored fur and hair, they are also have darker noses. They grow to be roughly 5'5 to 5'10 and are exceedingly agile and wise, even if they are scatterbrained.

The Satyr is a strong and agile creature. Due to their build they are capable of jumping higher than the average descendant. Their running speed rivals that of the Mali’Ker (with buff) and their jumping comes close to that of the Kha.

a6005b9fed22353a6e1e5de0fd8ff25b.jpg

Personality and Lifestyle

Satyrs all enjoy the pleasures of the flesh, such as lethargy, drinking, eating, and partying. All satyrs, even young ones partake in alcohol if given the chance, and are extremely resistant to it's effects, unless it is wine which they prefer above all else.

All satyrs are also talented musicians and poets. Preferring woodwind and percussion instruments, along with heavy chanting or building up, excited songs. All satyrs have a certain fey allure to their music which they use to lure in mortals for their large parties, or using it for other purposes. All satyrs need music like other creatures need food and drink. If a satyr is denied being able to enjoy music, it has the same effects of denying something food and they begin to waste away as though starving.

As they are the Aspects creation, and are like common fae, they would feel reluctant to visiting non-foresty locations such as towns or cities. An emptiness would take hold of them as the voices of nature fade away. Thusly these creatures spend most of their days in the forests where they may commune with the nature around them. Due to this trait of connection with both Flora & Fauna the majority of the Satyrs feel reluctant to the consuming of meat and live a vegetarian lifestyle on a diet of greens and music.

Culture

These creations of the Aspects can most commonly be found in their own groves or among Druii. Satyrs prefer company and live in groups, these groups once more divided into separate bloodlines. Current knowledge on four of these lines is available and these four carry with them their own habits and traits.

Spoiler

Thorn

The Thorn bloodline had grown tall and muscular, their horns grew curved like a ram’s, combined with a short-temper and a feeling of having to attain a dominant role. Often showing off this behaviour through the ways of the fist and display of strength. Most of the Thorn Satyr’s are braver and more adventurous than the other bloodlines.

Clover

The bloodline of Clover contains Satyrs of a smaller size, having pale skin and antlers instead of horns, they resemble that of a Moose. They are often shy and appear introverted when meeting new people, although they’d never turn down a drink.

Ivy

The Ivy are normally found covered in vines or moss. They mostly use them as clothes or they just walk through vines or moss and some of it gets on them. Their horns are straight and resemble that of a goat’s. Ivy Satyr are mainly secretive, this fact often diminished by their plain clumsiness.

Oak

The Oak Satyr tend to be tanned, with horns that have curled multiple times. They’re normally a bit lazy, often found taking a nap or sleeping, they have a short-temper and are especially dangerous. They represent the Satyr race as the ‘old’ and ‘wise’, often preaching about the ways of the Aspects, commonly found among the Druii. They are born leaders.

On the point of marriage and love, this too plays a significant role among Satyrs. It is generally frowned upon that a Satyr seeks love or companionship with another descendant. When two Satyrs do end up in love they can be married through either a Satyr elder or Druid, which progresses much like any other wedding. A custom is the grand feast that follows - lasting several days until all finally rest.

02563dec0223ec905a78b7be42cf2c59.jpg

Communion and Birthing

Communion is the name given to 'the act'. Satyrs reproduce through conventional means and thusly have their bits. Following this moment the female is pregnant for two years (2 irl weeks) after which birthing takes place. This most commonly under supervision and with aid of a druid or elder Satyr. Note that Satyr children will only come forth from Satyr to Satyr intercourse. Any other Satyr x [race] combination will result in a failure of impregnation.

Lifespan:

Satyr often live up to almost as long as an Elf. Although they max at 800 the oldest Satyr recorded having been 789 years old. As Satyr age they grow more like their counterpart. Like a Thorn would slowly look more like a Ram as they grow older. Except bipedal. Their physical appearance remains as is though the color of fur can take on that of a more grey nature.

Language:

It is allowed for a Satyr to speak in the common tongue and in broken dialect for the sake of understanding.

Spoiler

Satyr: Satyros (Satyrs: Satyroi)

Dwarf: Nanos

Elf: Afti

Human: Anthropinas

Orc: Varvaros

Halfling: Misos

Wife/Husband: Paragogos

Hello /Good morning: Kalimera

Goodbye: Antio

Good night: Kalinychta

Nature: Fysi

Plant: Fyto

Druid: Fytoagori (Literal translation is Plant boy)

Friend: Filos

Foe: Echthros

Death/Kill/Dead: Skotono

Undead: Naiskotono

Slaughter/Mass death: Thanskatono

Sword: Spathi

Axe: Tsekouri

Spear: Dori

Hammer: Syfri

War: Polemus

Bow and arrow: Toxo

Thank you: Efcharisto

Welcome: Kalosorima

Good: Kala

Useful Phrases:

Spoiler

May the forests be upon you: Boroun ta dasi na eini epano sas

May the forests be upon you as well (Response): Boroun ta dasi na eini epano sas episis

Dwell in the wood: Statho sto xylo, to spíiti olon.

Let's go: As taxidepsei (Literal translation is Let us travel)

Who are you?: Poisos eisa?

Numbers:

Spoiler

1: sane,

2: dyo,

3: tria,

4: tsera,

5: etep,

6: exi,

7: eta,

8: okto,

9: ênea,

10: aked.

Red Lines:

• A CA is required to play a Satyr,

• The Ingame race is that of Kha, a GM will change the name race-tag,

• Satyrs have Natures communion by default,

• They cannot, in roleplay, jump higher than a Kha could,

• The Communion is to be Faded to Black,

• If killed in rp or pvp the same revive rules apply to these creatures,

• They cannot live in cities,

• They cannot use or learn any magic whatsoever,

• The absence of music for a long period of time will weaken them,

Contributors:

- Slothastic - writer of initial lore piece

- Owlettetheowl - providing pieces of lore for fauns and satyrs

- LetUsParty - aiding in language and translation

- Hedgehug - re-writer of lore / compiler of lore

Edit:

- Communion removed and replaced.

better than expected

Really good overall. Well written.

Boroun ta dasi na epano sas. I love this.

+1

What is this disney magic FTB? GRR. Just kidding. Also the previous lore suggested it'd be possible for non-satyrs to reproduce with satyrs... That's removed, right? lol

I'm glad you're trying to bring back what a satyr is supposed to be by adding the partying, dance, and music, but you're basically saying they will die without fitting that character archetype by not listening to music? I don't know. So they basically hunger to death without music? I assume they also hunger to death by hunger (Not actually eating)? What constitutes as music anyway? I'm sure one could say the sounds of nature are like music, especially to one with communion, so would that be counted? In that case, all they'd need to do is be in the forests. Basically, can you give some objective definition of what counts as music in this scenario? I have an idea of what you mean, I just can tell it may end up being ignored.

13 hours ago, Hedgehug said:

• They cannot live in cities,

• They cannot use or learn any magic whatsoever,

No. I like living in cities and learning magic. I mean the old lore is better. -1.

EDIT: And most of the Satyr playerbase is not happy with the changes.

51 minutes ago, Mabah said:

No. I like living in cities and learning magic. I mean the old lore is better. -1.

EDIT: And most of the Satyr playerbase is not happy with the changes.

I agree lmao Hedgehug just came in here took over the place and decided we need to change our lore -1

12 hours ago, Mabah said:

I too like a lot of things - if you think the old lore is better then that's your opinion. 

For the creatures to live in cities goes against the main principals of Fae: which is that they are forest creatures. They have a connection to the Aspects in that they have a MAGIC BY DEFAULT. Which is communion with nature (the ability a druid receives upon attunement). Like sprites, ents and cervitaurs - satyrs are fey.

The old lore was too short / shallow for the attention this race seems to be getting. A rewrite with more depth is necessary.

19 hours ago, Gladuos said:

Also the previous lore suggested it'd be possible for non-satyrs to reproduce with satyrs... That's removed, right? lol

Good gracious yes, this has been removed.

19 hours ago, Gladuos said:

I assume they also hunger to death

on this issue - your assumption is corrent as they have natures communion the voices can be counted as music meaning if a Satyr spends too long in an area with little to no nature this must be compensated for.

they won't die due to it - but they will feel fatigued if they're exposed to longer silence (Namely captivity)

Still don't think a lore piece the satyr community dislikes should be accepted.

This Lore has been accepted. Moved to Implemented Lore, it will be sorted to it's appropriate category soon.

Lore has been shelved and moved to the appropriate subforum. This is part of our movement to shelve creatures that are either inactive or have been deemed unnecessary/problematic. This is a soft shelf and people with a CA will still be able to play their character, however no new creatures tied to this lore may be created. If you have questions about why this specific lore has been shelved, please contact me via forum PM or over discord at Flamboyant#8856