[✓] Soul Puppetry Addition

jamesb

Dark Puppetry.jpg

A puppeteer experimenting with a detailed puppet

“It was previously thought that Soul Puppetry could not effect overly-specific parts of the body with their curses. As such, puppeteers could not cause a solitary finger to melt from one’s hand, or a single blotch of flesh to decay. This, however, is only true due to the fact that puppets need only loosely resemble the person they are connected to. When a puppet is vague, so are the curses. But when a puppeteer takes his craft a step further, interesting results ensue.”

-Anonymous Puppeteer, 1st of the Grand Harvest, 1590

Puppets do not need to be hyper-accurate. A tail and snout for a Kharajyr and pointy ears for an elf is about as in depth as they go. These have always been enough for the regular puppeteer -- they get the job done, so why would anyone bother wasting hours and hours making a puppet more precise? From the average puppeteers perspective, doing so would be a waste of time. However, when an artist takes up the magic, the pastime of forging “unnecessarily” accurate puppets yields shocking boons.

When a puppet is made to perfectly resemble their target, startlingly so, a whole new string of possibilities reveal themselves. The red-line prohibiting curses from targeting specific parts of the body does not apply for these creations. In addition, if one had studied the anatomy of the targeted race, they could perform flesh curses on their organs, or insides. This would allow the snipping of vocal cords, or even the puncturing of a heart.

Creating a detailed puppet

Most puppeteers, if not all, have mastered the art of creating puppets. But making these more elaborate puppets is an entirely new task. A brief glance is no longer enough to mimic a person’s appearance. You would have to know every detail, and missing one thing would nullify the entire process. For example, if someone had a scar running across their knee, and a puppeteer overlooked this factor, the puppet would act as a normal one would. Specific curses would not open up to them, even if they managed to replicate every other detail. There is no in-between; a puppet either has access to the full-range of curses(when extremely detailed) or only the one’s available to a common puppet. The only exception to this rule is that you do not necessarily need to give the puppet organs unless you wish to inflict specific curses that require them. These are works of art, and precision is requisite to their functioning.

If one seeks to inflict flesh-curses on a puppet’s insides, you would need to replicate their internal organs inside the puppet. This requires the puppeteer to have studied the anatomy of their target’s race, usually via dissection(not necessarily of their target, but of someone with similar anatomy.) In this way, puppetry becomes similar to conjuration. If your target has an unnatural biology (missing a kidney, or scars inside their body) these would need to be incorporated into the puppet. That said, there’s a tad more leniency with the accuracy of the puppet’s insides. This is in order to avoid puppeteers needing to actually dissect their target before inflicting these curses on them, as this would likely kill their victim and hurt roleplay for the targeted party.

Theoretically, any tier would be capable of making these puppets; but the artistic talent associated with making a puppet as accurate as these ones is something only really possible after months and months of experience. In addition, it wouldn't really be beneficial to a puppeteer below T3. These puppets can be made out of any material that the normal puppetry lore allows, but curses are still relative to the material you're using -- just like normal puppets.

Red Lines:

• These are not easy to make. You must be as much an artist as a puppeteer to make them.

• Bodily items (blood, saliva, flesh, etc) are still required for these to work.

• Even a minor mistake ruins the entire puppet. That said, failed hyper-accurate puppets could still be used as normal ones.

• You must roleplay gathering information on your target’s appearance and their race’s biology. Not doing so would be powergaming.

• These are incompatible with the T5 puppets (puppets with magical properties) because they do not match their target’s appearance well enough. I.e, you cannot make a netherrack puppet and use it to set individual fingers on fire.

• If at any point the appearance of your target changes, you would need to replicate this on the puppet before proceeding with curses. This would not severe the connection, only temporarily interrupt your curses.

Curses available with a detailed puppet

All the regular curses are available, only now you can target more specific areas of the body. Individual fingers, toes, or even specific pieces of flesh. As was previously mentioned, you can also now inflict flesh curses on your target’s organs. This can only be done with a puppet that has its insides filled with an accurate representation of their target’s insides. Flesh curses include, but are not limited to: cutting vocal cords, puncturing heart, snapping bones, carving into bones, etc. It’s important to note that puppeteers could already mute their targets, kill them, and inflict excruciating pain. Those three effects, save for killing someone, would end once the connection broke. These, however, would remain, as they are flesh curses.

If you wanted to inflict curses on someone’s insides, you would have to first open the puppet up. This does not replicate on your target, unless you intended it to. If this is done clumsily, and in the process you mess up details of the puppet, it would revert to a normal puppet.

Red Lines:

• You cannot inflict flesh curses on the insides of your victim unless your puppet also has “insides.”

• You must open up your puppet to inflict flesh curses on the insides of your victim.

• You could make one of these a life puppet.

Few questions-

At what 'tier' can a puppeteer utilize these puppets/advanced curses?

Is there a certain material these puppets have to be made of?

Overall, great idea and well written!

20 minutes ago, The Squirrel said:

Few questions-

At what 'tier' can a puppeteer utilize these puppets/advanced curses?

Is there a certain material these puppets have to be made of?

Overall, great idea and well written!

1. Theoretically, any tier -- but it'd be a waste of time before T3, and becoming that talented at making puppets would take lots of experience(about as long as it takes to hit T4, I'd say.) That said, you can still only use curses available to your tier. T1 puppeteers couldn't go around cutting vocal cords, even if they had somehow gotten their hands on a detailed puppet.

2. No, but just like normal puppets, you could only cast curses specific to the material you're using. So for a T4 Puppeteer to make one of these out of clay would be foolish. 

Good questions, I'll add both of these into the lore post.

Will this be a practice that one will find out and must spread it to the other Puppeteers or will we, of course saying that the lore gets accepted, all be able to pick it up? Other than that, +1.

5 minutes ago, Cooliomafia said:

Will this be a practice that one will find out and must spread it to the other Puppeteers or will we, of course saying that the lore gets accepted, all be able to pick it up? Other than that, +1.

I would guess any puppeteer can take up arms and do this at any point... It's not like it isn't a new "puppet" it's just creating a puppet with great details. I would presume it'll just be testing and seeing how well you want to detail the puppet to find out that you can do more specific curses on areas of the body.

-

I do like this idea though +1.

9 minutes ago, Cooliomafia said:

Any talented enough puppeteer could pick it up.

9 minutes ago, Dewlox™ said:

Seems like a fun idea and a nice addition. I just fear that it wouldn't end up abused as magic sometimes is. None the less...

If you feel that the character doesn't have sufficient knowledge on the person they are SP'ing to do these detailed curses. All you have to do is ask them, if you still think they do not have enough knowledge for these specific curses, tell them and the puppeteer should agree and just make it a normal puppet to perform curses on. It isn't a huge impairment if you do.

For **** sakes, now one of my worst fears are being attempted to be added into lotc, puppets, damn you!

I'm pleasantly surprised, it's balanced and doesn't bring anything aside from the potential for more in-depth rp. +1

I like the idea c: Probably a slightly biased opinion since I'm a Soul Puppeteer myself. Nonetheless, I do see it giving the ability to create more in-depth roleplay, and expand on the current roleplay that the magic offers.