Heff

The Free Company of King Louis’ Heart

“Woe upon those who oppose our Prince!”

Ser Basil ‘the Hangman’, during the Battle of Salvus Repentus.

latest

The Lions of Hightower over the white snow of the Hesseltine Mountains, on a red and gold field.

In quick summary, the Free Company of King Louis’ Heart is a militant based in the land of Ponce. They owe their loyalty to the Prince Hightower of Ponce, in times of peace and during conflict which he is involved in, and are released from their vows to practice mercenary work when not required under the Hightower banner.

Signed, Captain Peter Bedevere

Chronicle of a Golden Heart

“This heart once was alive.” - Abbe Onfroi, looking at the heart of King Louis, 1542.

JoseCusachs--Elataque1894.jpg

The Louisan Host charges forth to clash with mercenaries, hired by Salvus Repentus, outside of Peyran. C. 1521 Unknown

At the end of the Duke's War, Louis Francis Hightower besieged the Republican stronghold of Peyran. Salvus Repentus, the pretender Republic which had claimed the King’s title, was an entity in chaos by the time the Louisan Host arrived at the walls. Ser David Lamppost was the first over the walls, followed by Ser Basil Bedevere and his Hangmen. The walls were quickly breached and fighting went to the streets. The day was won swiftly, Louis Francis was crowned on the battlefield without much pomp and immediately set forth to constructing his new state.

The Hightowers had settled into the Republican senate building and utilized it as a base of operations for controlling their new subjects. After a year and a half of rule, King Louis Francis I called the condottieri, knights, and men-at-arms in his control together. The Condottiore known as Gianpaolo Gradic brought three stab wounds to the King’s chest. Chaos erupted in the court, with numerous sellswords turning their blades onto the King’s levymen and knights. The Sack of Salvus Novus had commenced. Ser Basil, and two squires, fetched the body of Louis Francis into an escape tunnel that had been mapped by the ousted Doge. Basil and his men fought to the docks, the Prince James I in their possession, and made it onto a ship. The boat was sunk by an Savoyard warship, which had been lurking in the depths prior to the coup.

The body of King Louis was lost, but Ser Basil and Prince James escaped onto the mainland. Three days, a monk discovered the water-logged body and carved out its heart. The organ was later encased in gold, the stab wound that brought it to death claimed to be visible. He was identified by his crown, which had been sunk into his decomposing head when the ship met its violent, turbulent doom.

For a lengthy time, the heart passed between clerical and scholarly hands. It was purchased from a defrocked friar, called Tomas von Bun, by the Prince James I following his arrival at the Johannian Court. Now, a generation later, it is in the possession of the Prince James II of Ponce. Many believe the heart to give its holder bravery. The relic is the prized posession of Ponce and before every battle, the Free Company will offer it a quick prayer.

On Louisan Tradition: Prosus Condotierri

“You’ll never get fame or riches, unless you do.” - Ser Beelzebub Basarab, to the company lined in the courtyard, 1554.

u6VY7eB.jpg

The three Captains collecting taxes for the Prince of Ponce. C. 1555, Lady Anne Marie

The Company of King Louis’ Heart is contracted by House Hightower to serve as its standing retinue. However, in accordance with the Prosus Condotierri military tradition established by King Louis Francis I, the three Captain have the ability to take on contracts of their own. When not in times of war, the soldiers of Ponce can be conscripted to other conflicts to draw revenue.

When not at war under Ponce or performing a contract, the Company will serve Ponce and its people de jure. They perform the basic duties of protecting the land, enforcing the Lord Hightower’s Law, aiding the citizens and aristocracy, as well as manning the keep.

As taught by the Duke of Furnestock, a close friend of Prince James II, the Rule of Three disallows for any abuse of power taken by an army. It effectively delegates ruling of the band to three equal captains, each with equal say, so that they can effectively yet wisely make decisions regarding its affairs. The reigning ruler of Ponce has the ability to veto decisions which he does not agree with and effectively rule the Company as its sole leader, in times of necessity. Though, this rarely occurs, as the head of state must deal with other matters.

Accolades and Medals

“The way to a man’s mind, is his head.” - Valentino the Rat, pinning an award to a recruit’s hat.  

The St. Everard Cross

footer-image.png

Awarded to those soldiers who have proven their bravery even in the face of bleak odds by rescuing a companion in combat. It is considered to be a great honor, as it denotes one's devotion to their cause.

• Medal of the St. Everard Cross
  • 100 Minae Reward
  • Gilded Sword

The King James I Medal

War-Medal-1939-45-World-War-2.png

In ceremony, the recipient is awarded with this following a display of commanding excellence, including when a commander is fallen and impromptu leadership is taken. Often, the King James medal accompanies other awards, such as a promotion or minae reward. It is representative of King James I as the greatest leader of Salvus, having effectively governed diplomatically, militarily, and stately.  

• Medal of King James I
  • New iron set of armor
  • 150 Minae Reward

Victoria Salvus Repentus

1c373382d6d64bb98d2fab562c1a5595.png

The Victory of Salvus Repentus is symbolic of the conflict in which King Louis Francis I conquered the pretender state of Salvus Repentus, ruled by a Republican Doge. It is awarded to a man who shows significant skill in combat in which he successfully kills ten enemies in a single battle. At its central is the bust of King Louis Francis I Hightower.

• Medal of Victoria Salvus Repentus
  • A gilded set of armor
  • 250 Minae Reward

Hierarchy of the Free Company

“The colors of a man's tabard should match those of his friends..” - Ugluk Proverb  

7nAkNKz98bX74A0qUpIMKTI3ddNUxjFmqOMgJnoyBGR36imJJM1DuEVKibjvQCqxOweLB56LVBmlsymaopEc

The uniform of the Free Company is the colors of Ponce, gold and red, complete with the cape of King Louis Francis I. Men are allowed to don their personal arms, in small manner, upon their cape. Furthermore, they can display their accolades and medals upon their breast. Men are expected to keep their armor, weapons, and uniform in clean order.

Hierarchy and Payment

“They key to a man’s heart is his chest. And his coin purse!” - Saint Thomas Denims III, delivering messages.

Battle_scene_Charles_VIII_receiving_the_crown_of_Napoli-Francesco_Bassano-MBA_Lyon_A166-IMG_0305.jpg

The Ponceau regiment charges forth in the Battle of the Gorge. C. 1593, Joseph Frederick Horen; Duke of Furnestock

To sufficiently fund itself and give incentive to its swords, the Company uses profits gained from contracts outside of Ponce to supply a regular wage to its soldiers. Pay varies depending on basic rank and often acts of note earn a raise.

Captain - Wage varies based upon contracts taken by the company. The Captains make decisions for the company through voting, however in the absence of other Captains they make act alone. Often, Captains are chosen from the ranks of the Company or from the Prince of Ponce’s knights.

Adjutant - 200 Minae every Saint’s Month. The Adjutant is the delegation of the Captains to the rankers. All serjeants are expected to maintain a Company supplied steed and a lance, so that in combat they make up the cavalry.

Ranker - 100 Minae every Saint’s Month. Rankers make up the vast majority of the order and often are found as infantry. Standardly, they make use of crossbows and longswords, pikes, or any assortment of short-arms.

Valet - The valet is equivalent to a recruit. He receives no pay, at first, yet will soon be promoted following a sufficient amount of time within the order (usually one Saint’s Week).

Special Ranks

“Why are you so special?” - Old Captain Nathan to a bug-eyed recruit.

the-battle-of-pydna.jpg

The Company of King Louis’ Heart charges forth, its red banner pitched in combat. C. 1590

While the main duty of all Louisans is to serve the Company, a select few have specific roles in the order based on their particular set of skills. They receive no pay bonus, but are often given gear which pertains to their specific role.

Standard Bearer - The standard bearer is charged with bringing the banner of the company into combat and ensuring it remains pitched, in the valorous position against the wind, for the entirety of the battle. Should he fall in combat, the soldiers should retrieve the banner to keep morale and momentum!  

Surgeon - The surgeon is charged with the tending of battlefield wounds and homefront illnesses. Whenever harm befalls the Company’s men, he is there to aid.

Quartermaster - He who is charged with the supplying of all men. The quartermaster manages the armory and supplies each man with his gear. Prior to battles, he is expected to make sure everyone is readily equipped.

Purser - The purser is charged with the funds of the Company. When a soldier earns a raise or when all soldiers require payment, he must supply them with such. Furthermore, if the Company is going into a new venture, he will be responsible for garnering funds.

Signing up for the Company (APPLICATION)

“Yah you like that?” - Piero Gradic  asking onlookers if they are interested in his enterprise.

Pieter_Brueghel_the_Younger_Paying_the_Tax_The_Tax_Collector_oil_on_panel_1620-1640._USC_Fisher_Museum_of_Art.jpg

Men scramble to speak with their local Free Company recruiter in Johannesburg. C. 1584, Unknown.

You’ve followed a trail of posters for this mercenary company to a nearby tavern. Many men gather around a table and you wait in line. A recruiter stands before you, he claims a strange pair of spectacles and a Hightower tabard.

What’s your given name, man? (MC and RP):

(Skype):

How many years’ve you got?:

Did your pap teach you any craft? (Nexus trade, if any):

He adjusts his spectacles and looks you up and down.

57 minutes ago, NurpleDurp said:

(MC and RP): TheMoistNapkin, Jekre

(Skype): ItzDeathlol

(Age): 15

The recruiter nods, "Welcome to the company, Valet Jekre." 

Nathan Grumbles, handing in his application to his junior captain.

What’s your given name, man? (MC and RP): Kid_Mackin, Nathan

(Skype): You know the name

How many years’ve you got?: Im old as dirt

Did your pap teach you any craft? (Nexus trade, if any): I cant even remember anymore what I did before being in military command, but I think i was a leatherworker or tinkerer.

3 hours ago, Kid Mackin said:

Nathan Grumbles, handing in his application to his junior captain.

What’s your given name, man? (MC and RP): Kid_Mackin, Nathan

(Skype): You know the name

How many years’ve you got?: Im old as dirt

Did your pap teach you any craft? (Nexus trade, if any): I cant even remember anymore what I did before being in military command, but I think i was a leatherworker or tinkerer.

Accepted! "Welcome to the company, Nathan."

What’s your given name, man? (MC and RP): Baronvo/ Louis Francis Hightower

(Skype): PM

How many years’ve you got?: Too many on this damn server.

Did your pap teach you any craft? (Nexus trade, if any): Farming.

On January 12, 2017 at 3:40 PM, Agnub (Hightower) said:

What’s your given name, man? (MC and RP): Baronvo/ Louis Francis Hightower

(Skype): PM

How many years’ve you got?: Too many on this damn server.

Did your pap teach you any craft? (Nexus trade, if any): Farming.

Accepted

This current Guild has been deemed inactive and has hereby been moved. If you wish to appeal this decision you must present evidence to myself proving the guild is still active.