[Building Guide] Natural Caves

Wrynn

opPxe76.png

postdiv.png

Where to find them, how to build them.

postdiv.png

I see rather a lot of caves across LotC that don't really look... real. I'll be teaching you now to make the flushest and naturalist caves out there in an easy to follow step by step guide. 

bnNLaWZ.png

To start off building your cave, you'll want to find a suitable location for your cave. This could perhaps include a cliff face, behind a waterfall or a small enclave in the ground. Whatever you've chosen we're going to begin to prepare to dig out our cave. This looks like a suitable location;

V9RuhGO.png

S75ai1m.png

We'll need to start digging out the cave, and the easiest way to do this is by hand. Simply start breaking away small blocks until you have a cave shape that you're happy with. You can make it as large or as small as you'd like. You can even include small tunnels that lead to other chamber etc. Once you're done the cave should look something like this;

VQocE3q.png

It's alright if your cave doesn't look perfect at the moment, we're going to be fixing it up in the next few steps - so don't be paranoid if it's not a perfect circle or anything, no cave is.

vcQ2dcX.png

This is perhaps one of the biggest and most important steps of creating a cave, infact it's such a vital tool when you're going to be building anything. You need to texture! Plain stone by itself does not look good. That means you'll need to be throwing other types of blocks into the make sure people aren't looking at the same texture over and over again when they're looking at your build. It's an easy step to do, however it's missed out so much and it can really make or break a build. For my cave I'll be using cobblestone and andesite texture the walls. You should use whichever blocks you feel compliment stone the best. To start simply start breaking stone blocks and replace them with your other blocks. You want to get an even spread of blocks so that it looks natural.

You'll want to try and texture the walls so that it ends up looking something like this;

mUAfjj7.png

The next part of the texturing step really adds detail to our cave. It smooths out the edges and makes it look more realistic. You need to smooth out the sharp edges of your cave with slab and stair blocks. These not only give someone more to look at however they add a lot of detail to your cave. Once again it's a step that a lot of people seem to miss out, even though it's an extremely easy step! You want to get it looking something like this; Don't think too much about the placement of the blocks, just do what feels natural with them.

qobrEFr.png

Tm2rvSw.png

This last step essentially brings the cave to life. It makes it pop with colour and brings personality to an otherwise boring and dull build. Your cave will have other things in it that pure stone. It may have some shrubs in the corner. There may be plants growing through cracks on the floor or skulls of dead animals laying about. Perhaps a few midnight drinkers have left their drinks by the enterance of the cave. Perhaps even a witch had inhabited the cave. This is where you get to tell the story of the cave. For mine I simply did a small cave with cobwebs and laves. However you can get so much more creative!

2017_01_15_12_08_38.png

Now the cave looks much more full of life and has a story behind it. It's just up to the players to find out what that story is.

Cool_Text_TIPS_226030168935644.png

• The decorations tab is your best friend, use it as much as you can.
  • Just because a flowerpot is called a flowerpot doesn't mean it has to be used as a flowerpot.
  • Banners and stained glass go great with leaves.
  • Hide lights underneath carpets to give some mood lighting.