[✗] Curbing the Physical Prowess of Voidal Mages

TavernLich

Purpose

The lore team’s pro-magic bias will lead to the denial of this lore. However, that does not defeat efforts to shed further light on the degeneration of voidal Mage RP, rather than the magic itself, into a consortium of power-plays that border on the edge of powergaming. It is my belief that you should not be able to summon rifts in place, teleport and call down lethal lightning while also being an adept physical fighter. It is my belief that mages should not have the athleticism nor the agility of those who do not posses magic. It is my belief that the vague term “voidal atrophy” must now be clearly defined. 

Voidal: of or relating to the void.

Atrophy: the decline of effectiveness or vigor.

Voidal Atrophy: the resulting atrophy during or after constant exposure to the arcane or Voidal magic. The effects include, but are not limited to, brittle bones, extreme fatigue under physical labor, loss of and degeneration muscle mass and sore joints.

Brittle Bones:
-Bones will shatter and/ or break with little to moderate force.
-If a mage, who bears a sword, attempts to parry an incoming projectile or object, such as another sword, the resulting force of impact will shatter and/ or break their wrist.
-If a mage is struck with another’s fist or foot, with the intent of killing or maiming the given mage, the mage will suffer from broken bones if not loss of consciousness or even death.
-Essentially, this prevents mages from bending the rules of voids atrophy whom claim to derive their combat prowess from skill, not strength.

Fatigue:
-Extreme lack of stamina.
-They may not endure prolonged fights.

Decline of Muscle Mass:
-Mages will harbor only 15% of an average man’s muscle mass and, therefore, only 15% of an average man’s strength.
-Muscles will tear during intense physical combat.
-Mages are limited to light chainmail or leather armor and the common arming sword. To go beyond this will result in extreme physical fatigue.
-Mages will be unable to draw bows, short or long, and crossbows without the aid of an external force or mechanism such as a cranequin.

Sore Joints:
-Joints will become chronically sore but bearable.
-If, however, a mage engages in intense physical activity, such as attempting to evade incoming blows or lunges, the pain will quickly and exponentially intensify until the mage is rendered incapable of fighting. 
-Prevents mages from constantly evading or dodging incoming attacks due to claims that Voidal atrophy does not breach athleticism or agility.

3 minutes ago, TavernLich said:

The lore team’s pro-magic bias will lead to the denial of this lore

it certainly won't get accepted with that attitude mister

This is too much. Mages already RP physical weakness and if they don't you can report them. But they're not scrawny weaklings that will break in half when you punch them.

I wear leather armor and carry a dirk/dagger, but I haven't seen any sword swinging mages in full plate armor recently to warrant something this aggressive. If someone is powergaming, report them.

Keep your hands off my magic you fiend.

why do mages (who are already physically weak/below average) need to be nerfed to being able to have their bones broken "with little to moderate force"??? i really don't see a need for shitting on their physical ability more, especially to the intensity of being like "15%" of an average person's strength?

not every mage is an archon golem/atronach-creating voidally shifting cognat displacement evocation mage.

my lich bones already break if you breath on them what more do you want

18 minutes ago, ski_king3 said:

This is too much. Mages already RP physical weakness and if they don't you can report them. But they're not scrawny weaklings that will break in half when you punch them.

Huh. I've not seen a single one... ever.

9 minutes ago, Nug said:

not every mage is an archon golem/atronach-creating voidally shifting cognat displacement evocation mage.

I will make them all kin.

In all seriousness, a mage is already weak in comparison to a warrior; sure a fighter might get absolutely wiped in an RP fight that requires physical force, but that's also because Jimmy the mage might be more competent than the other fighter and do the right parry at the right time.

Let's talk about something that generates a lot of salt: Mages wearing plate armor. It ain't heavy, if inbred frail kings could wear it off horse back, then a mage can definitely wear it.

((But mages wearing overly cumbersome things (IE plate armor with thick chainmail underneath it and then a boatload of padding), wielding thick claymores and other stupid weapons is absurd, and is PG, unless there is a good RP reasoning behind it.))

Mages can fight hand to hand if they need to...you can't make a mage even less powerful than they already are. One hit and they're done. They can't cast.

3 minutes ago, A Moongazer said:

Huh. I've not seen a single one... ever.

Thats because the body does not operate off of arbitrary numbers and their is rarely any noticeable difference between a 150lbs 6ft tall person who is above average and a 150lbs 6ft tall person who is less than average unless you strip them naked, measure the density of every square inch of their body, listen to their breathing, measure blood pressure, and check their prostate.

The so called 'debuff' to mages is clear and set in stone. They cannot develop muscle, stopping them from growing in strength. They won't have glass bones and a skull made of paper, because that's stupid. If we aren't lucky enough to have a person who understands the effect of our magic, we won't win an RP fight anyways. 

1 minute ago, ArcanicFable said:

I will make them all kin.

In all seriousness, a mage is already weak in comparison to a warrior; sure a fighter might get absolutely wiped in an RP fight that requires physical force, but that's also because Jimmy the mage might be more competent than the other fighter and do the right parry at the right time.

This is exactly what I'm talking about, Phil. Mages claim they derive combat prowess from competency/ skill. That should not be the case, especially if you are putting your effort into spells that require a high degree of intellect/ concentration/ patience rather than lifting weights. 

Think of it like a nerd and a football player (American football, sorry everyone else who isn't American). The nerd may know the concept/ technique of throwing a great spiral, even better than a football player, but he WILL lack the raw strength (or training) to actually execute a spiral.