[✗] Curbing the Physical Prowess of Voidal Mages

TavernLich

I must admit, I personally have seen mages in half plate, chainmail, competant with swords, and able to outrun an able bodied man...

And whilst I shant name names on the forums, I feel that imposing these restrictions on mages shant help anything, but rather, the reporting of mages that defy such that is already in place.

3 minutes ago, Данстан said:

Thats because the body does not operate off of arbitrary numbers and their is rarely any noticeable difference between a 150lbs 6ft tall person who is above average and a 150lbs 6ft tall person who is less than average unless you strip them naked, measure the density of every square inch of their body, listen to their breathing, measure blood pressure, and check their prostate.

I ever tell you how much I love the comments you make on this forum?

5 minutes ago, Данстан said:

Thats because the body does not operate off of arbitrary numbers and their is rarely any noticeable difference between a 150lbs 6ft tall person who is above average and a 150lbs 6ft tall person who is less than average unless you strip them naked, measure the density of every square inch of their body, listen to their breathing, measure blood pressure, and check their prostate.

Lmao. I actually chortled, thanks for this! Anyway, the reason for my "arbitrary numbers," is not to impose IRL facts or whatever. In fact, it's just to help people conceptualize the idea I'm trying to convey.

In combat I often take the reliability of a sword over magic. I'd need some serious magic buffs if we got nerfed this hard.

8 minutes ago, Silver Vandal said:

I ever tell you how much I love the comments you make on this forum?

<3

Just now, Luxury said:

In combat I often take the reliability of a sword over magic. I'd need some serious magic buffs if we got nerfed this hard.

Isn't the purpose of a mage to be a long-ranged fighter? Mages can already shoot lightning or giant fireballs that can easily incapacitate others. Why, then should they be able to bend the restrictions of Voidal magic by saying that they can easily fight with a sword because it only weighs a few pounds and that their mage is also a skilled swordsman?

And we shouldn't need to make tiresome and tedious reports when something like this can easily be fixed by clearly defining Voidal atrophy.

8 minutes ago, TavernLich said:

Lmao. I actually chortled, thanks for this! Anyway, the reason for my "arbitrary numbers," is not to impose IRL facts or whatever. In fact, it's just to help people conceptualize the idea I'm trying to convey.

You shouldn't be imposing your idea of a weak mage onto others, Spellswords are fair as long as they roleplay it correctly. Yes, arguably, it seems off half the time, but that is thanks to the emote system in general and not the actual logic behind it. I advise listening to the things that Phil tells you since he's an expert on the subject, just know that swordplay and other martial arts are focused more on cunning. A mage will always lack brute force, but through cunning they can parry and be just as experienced in swordplay as the typical soldier.

By your logic, by the way, you can't go to college and get a degree in literature and mathematics while also being a sports player. Is it hard to do both exceptionally? Yes, but through hard work it's possible. This isn't an MMORPG, if a character studies and works hard they can grow proficient in many things, the issue is that people don't roleplay their flaws accordingly.

I'd love to see there be a more debilitating and obvious drawback to taking up these sorts of magic, as an outsider... But holy cow this is way too much. 15% of an average man's musclepower? Tearing muscles from too much activity? BREAKING BONES WITH LITTLE FORCE?

TONE IT DOWN A NOTCH DUDE I'M PART OF A NICHE THAT MAGES HATE AND I THINK THIS IS TOO MUCH

4 minutes ago, Silver Vandal said:

You shouldn't be imposing your idea of a weak mage onto others, Spellswords are fair as long as they roleplay it correctly. Yes, arguably, it seems off half the time, but that is thanks to the emote system in general and not the actual logic behind it. I advise listening to the things that Phil tells you since he's an expert on the subject, just know that swordplay and other martial arts are focused more on cunning. A mage will always lack brute force, but through cunning they can parry and be just as experienced in swordplay as the typical soldier.

By your logic, by the way, you can't go to college and get a degree in literature and mathematics while also being a sports player. Is it hard to do both exceptionally? Yes, but through hard work it's possible. This isn't an MMORPG, if a character studies and works hard they can grow proficient in many things, the issue is that people don't roleplay their flaws accordingly.

Literally that.

6 minutes ago, TavernLich said:

Isn't the purpose of a mage to be a long-ranged fighter? Mages can already shoot lightning or giant fireballs that can easily incapacitate others. Why, then should they be able to bend the restrictions of Voidal magic by saying that they can easily fight with a sword because it only weighs a few pounds and that their mage is also a skilled swordsman?

And we shouldn't need to make tiresome and tedious reports when something like this can easily be fixed by clearly defining Voidal atrophy.

In an ideal enviroment, yeah I can agree that mages are more effective at long range. In minecraft, however, most fights begin within a few blocks of opposing parties. I want to be able to participate in combat, not just get bumrushed within the single emote it takes to cover ground each time a fight comes around.

4 minutes ago, Silver Vandal said:

the issue is that people don't roleplay their flaws accordingly.

Exactly. They are not role playing flaws correctly because they aren't clearly defined. Additionally, I'm not saying people who study mathematics can't play sports. I'm saying if you practice something that wastes away muscle and strength and requires the comprehension of abstract principles (that should require a huge amount of time to comprehend) then you should not be able to do physical tasks as well as someone who, let's say, practices daily or occasionally.

Just now, TavernLich said:

Exactly. They are not role playing flaws correctly because they aren't clearly defined. Additionally, I'm not saying people who study mathematics can't play sports. I'm saying if you practice something that wastes away muscle and strength and requires the comprehension of abstract principles (that should require a huge amount of time to comprehend) then you should not be able to do physical tasks as well as someone who, let's say, practices daily or occasionally.

Mathematics is the abstract science of numbers. Therefore, yes, abstract principles being comprehended in order to perform arcane magic is very much akin to mathematics except it has debuffs. Most magics have literal interpretations because you're mimicking physical properties of the material world, everything that's around you is capable of being replicated.

Alteration = Altering and mimicking effects that happen in the real world.
Illusion = Mimicking sensation and memory, mental things.
Evocation = Literally producing elements.
Feats/"golemancy-esque ****" = one of the three above used differently, empowerment via runes to move energy about (like robotic science irl with simpler magic) and hyper thought/memory storage (cognats) through an intercom with a Voidal Horror, the barebone exchange of information from a server to a network.

if u can tell me in newtons what sort of force """"little to moderate"""" is then u have a case to make

also u seem to not understand how a parry works.

a parry is a REDIRECTION, not an ABSORPTION of a blow's force. 

35 minutes ago, A Moongazer said:

Huh. I've not seen a single one... ever.

Because it's not something you go around rping. Most people expect people to rp being weak- when in reality, it's more so along the lines of not rping being strong. Just dont go around in full plate with a battleaxe and you're good