[✗] [Lore Rewrite] Fairy Rings

ZBLBAC5

12 minutes ago, Sir K Andruske said:

Druid magic doesn't harm arcane forces. Arcane forces arent blight. Period. Arcane forces may hurt druidic forces but not inherently. However you want to deal with unattunement lore is fine. It is a deity based magic with specifications for havinh the mahic but having naturally occuring places that somehow repel arcane mages crosses a line druidism shouldn't be able to cross. 

Read the points I've made again. The ring doesn't inherently repel any kind of magic, it just creates a very adverse (mostly mental) reaction in a mage or dark creature that steps inside of it, with the most physical effect being feeling like poop during and a real bad hangover afterwards. And this for reasons I outlined quite clearly above.

Further, the ring is a product of druidic magic, even if it occurs naturally. Just like Elder Trees, fae and ents. And this isn't something new, either. I remember distinctly seeing a grove back in Vailor in the high elven capital that hid behind a fairy ring, explicitly stating that mages would have a really bad day if they tried to cross it.

for some reason

I don't know why the guy who built that one disliked mages so much that they'd go to such great extents to keep them out.

Edit: Also it's been shown in the past many times that Arcane magic does indeed cause blight (granted, in extreme circumstances,) and Druids have cleansed it.

10 hours ago, ZBLBAC5 said:

2) Ascended can NOT use fairy rings to kick start their soul nexus ability ‘Peace of the Wilds’. They still need a druid to aid them as per Ascended Lore.

You can go ahead and remove this one since Soul Nexus is being scrapped.

3 hours ago, Master Sage Delaselva said:

You can go ahead and remove this one since Soul Nexus is being scrapped.

will do, thank you for the notifying me about this.

10 hours ago, TheCritsyBear said:

Read the points I've made again. The ring doesn't inherently repel any kind of magic, it just creates a very adverse (mostly mental) reaction in a mage or dark creature that steps inside of it, with the most physical effect being feeling like poop during and a real bad hangover afterwards. And this for reasons I outlined quite clearly above.

Further, the ring is a product of druidic magic, even if it occurs naturally. Just like Elder Trees, fae and ents. And this isn't something new, either. I remember distinctly seeing a grove back in Vailor in the high elven capital that hid behind a fairy ring, explicitly stating that mages would have a really bad day if they tried to cross it.

for some reason

I don't know why the guy who built that one disliked mages so much that they'd go to such great extents to keep them out.

Edit: Also it's been shown in the past many times that Arcane magic does indeed cause blight (granted, in extreme circumstances,) and Druids have cleansed it.

Voidal magic I'm fairly sure doesn't cause blight. It causes mana stuff which is a whole different thing but w/e.

Liches and Darkstalkers or anything without a soul cannot experience the effects of fae rings, or thats what happened before this 'rewrite'. Which does make sense.

Otherwise I thought that the sickness and nausea was simply if someone was completely unprepared for the circle and 'failed' rolls to stabilise themselves, also the fae ring become some sort of addiction to those that aren't attuned. The whole idea was for the rings to be strange bastions of nature that either empowered druids or exposed others to its boons. There shouldn't be discrimination and have only 'voidal' mages feel shitty.

I don't believe this re-write is needed.

5 hours ago, GrimReaper98 said:

Voidal magic I'm fairly sure doesn't cause blight. It causes mana stuff which is a whole different thing but w/e.

Liches and Darkstalkers or anything without a soul cannot experience the effects of fae rings, or thats what happened before this 'rewrite'. Which does make sense.

Otherwise I thought that the sickness and nausea was simply if someone was completely unprepared for the circle and 'failed' rolls to stabilise themselves, also the fae ring become some sort of addiction to those that aren't attuned. The whole idea was for the rings to be strange bastions of nature that either empowered druids or exposed others to its boons. There shouldn't be discrimination and have only 'voidal' mages feel shitty.

I don't believe this re-write is needed.

Again, it's clearly stated that voidal mages aren't the only ones who get jacked up. They are among a class of things that get real messed up, yes, but normal people have the potential to have a real bad time too.

but that's something I wrote about too I literally talked about the being unprepared and addiction and who's been accepted to have bad times in the past and stuff pretty much everything you said >:C

Though, I didn't think about liches and lich-things not having their soul present. You got me on that one.

Further on a topic that isn't really part of this lore; The void causes blight. Blight isn't just necromancers doing their thing, it isn't just draining an area. Or at least, it isn't any more. It's a whole array of things, caused by any number of ill intents. Corruption, death, horribly ridiculous pollution, sometimes even mundane circumstances can bring it. For instance, back in Vailor there were massive void scars as part of a series of events. Those counted as blight. But that brings me back to something I said before; Void causes blight in extreme circumstances.

also it makes you have butter for bones if that other rewrite gets passed and that seems pretty blighty to me on a personal level

I'm fairly certain any adverse affects void mages experience while in a fairy ring is similar to what a druid would be experiencing should they take up practicing the arcane. The voices of Nature become very violent to them, with the druid sensing great waves of empathic judgemental sensations. Such a thing would be like sensing all of the plants and life around oneself as if screaming in primal fury and agony consistently directly into their ears, I'd imagine. Basically it's not fully defined though, just that Nature reacts negatively to those with a void connection and is likely to cause them problems. In this case any void mage entering the fairy ring would essentially be having a worse time than someone without a void connection entering the ring. (But certainly not killing them, most likely just having the sensation of Nature more intense and furious at you on top of the being overwhelmed with the regular sensations of Nature)

EDIT: And yes, massive mana reactions can cause things called Hollows which are basically land-scars which were transmuted into crystalline forms and things like that. It mutates and messes with life in unnatural ways, etc. It counts as something druidism can fight off as 'blight'. And please dear god, no butter bones.

The effects of what a fairy ring does has been RP’d and done since the original lore was made. This is more of a clarification of what is occurring. For one, and something that needs to be clear here, is that *any* non-druid that steps into the fairy ring will experience a sudden massive hit to the senses of feeling, seeing, and hear all nature around them. It’s a very disorienting effect to where regardless if you are a necro, void mage, even a normal person, you wouldn’t be able to focus much at all, let alone begin to try and concentrate enough to cast anything. It’s meant to show a non-druid how a tier 5 druid constantly deals with in a sense given the attunement over time heightens your sixth sense (in a way) to the natural world around you. As for dark users or creatures, such as a lich, darkstalker, etc etc, they may not feel that effect, but they would be extremely uncomfortable within the fairy ring to where it’s better to get out given what they literally are is against the natural balance of nature itself. As a void mage user, if you attempt to try to cast voidal magic, the effect of nature would be heard more violently (and no, this isn’t a cultural thing), voidal magic is harmful to the natural world given it doesn’t belong here. The blessing of the Aspects weakens if a druid tries to learn voidal magic, it’s something these Aenguls do not like and it would be met unkindly. In my opinion on it, I would change the rule from a voidal mage being thrown in(or accidentally steps in) the ring and it affecting them insanely to instead if they try to cast voidal magic (for some reason if they are even able too) that the voices would react more violently, intensifying the effect.

As well, keep in mind here. These Fairy Rings aren’t meant to trap dark beings, voidal mages, or anyone. They are meant for meditation areas and to experience the blessing one will receive without actually receiving it. A sacred area for druids to connect with nature. No druid can make them, they are naturally occurring areas that happen within nature. I for one, kept tabs on how many there were within the world as a former LM. Roughly 3-4 if I remember correctly and if one was destroyed, I would be aware of where another would spawn. It kept the rings down from being MCly made where-ever and made sure a ring wasn’t being abused and used for not it’s intended purpose.

((PS: The first original Redline actually wasn’t targeting a player at all. If you look at the original lore, that is the original red line from it long ago. But I do agree it's unnecessary now given the server rule changes.))

22 hours ago, Sir K Andruske said:

I do not agree with this lore. Nature is a nuetral force. It isn't going to repel void forces because the void is literally woven into the beings that control it. It is in everything. Untapped potential force that coexists with the natural world. It's apart of the world.

The idea that nature is against arcane/void is purely a cultural thing that doesn't need magical lore enforcement. Fairy rings were open to mages before and it should be kept that way. It is strange to give druids an anti-mage abilty.

By no means is the Void a natural presence in the world or the cosmos in general. It is a volatile, chaotic, indiscernable infinite presence beyond the veil of existence and the fact that Druids exist to oppose the fundamentals of magic, particularly Void magic, in general bids some justification to this kind of detail. You're not going to see a lot of tolerance from a power that exists to enforce worldly naturality regarding those who borrow things from a realm defined to be unnatural when its presence manifests in the same natural world.

It was a pleasure working on this with you Zach, and I believe that with the update that came about through combined efforts, it would be good enough for acceptance.

On 1/22/2017 at 1:14 AM, Sky said:

-snip-

Thanks Sky, your help with the druidic rewrites are helpful as always

On 1/15/2017 at 3:00 PM, Sir K Andruske said:

I do not agree with this lore. Nature is a nuetral force. It isn't going to repel void forces because the void is literally woven into the beings that control it. It is in everything. Untapped potential force that coexists with the natural world. It's apart of the world.

The idea that nature is against arcane/void is purely a cultural thing that doesn't need magical lore enforcement. Fairy rings were open to mages before and it should be kept that way. It is strange to give druids an anti-mage abilty.

On 1/16/2017 at 1:20 PM, Swgrclan said:

By no means is the Void a natural presence in the world or the cosmos in general. It is a volatile, chaotic, indiscernable infinite presence beyond the veil of existence and the fact that Druids exist to oppose the fundamentals of magic, particularly Void magic, in general bids some justification to this kind of detail. You're not going to see a lot of tolerance from a power that exists to enforce worldly naturality regarding those who borrow things from a realm defined to be unnatural when its presence manifests in the same natural world.

I think what people are getting hung up about is the different definitions of the word nature.

The first defines purpose or a characteristic.

I.E. The boy has a kind nature. It is by the wolves' nature to hunt deer.

This is one land mine I avoided  but there is confusion with the other two definitions that exist in LOTC.

Namely,

Nature is something that exists without need of a known creator or is shaped on its own accord.

I.E. The river flows naturally toward the sea. The void is natural because it was not made by anything.

And,

Nature is a construct of The Aspects

Why is this separate definition important? Because it is the only thing limiting Communion and Control to what is right now. For example,

Why can't I control rocks, wind, and water? Those things exist in harmony with nature?

Why can't I control the void? it naturally exists?

Why can't I commune with Humans? They were created naturally?

Why can't I commune with the Dragons? Aren't they natural?

The answer is that The Aspects did not make the rock, the void, humans, or dragons. The Aspects created the plants, the animals, the fungi, ect. So therefore, druids who have 'nature' magic lack the ability to control things commonly called nature. As opposed to the precise in game reason for what is encompassed by what the druids say X is natural or Y is unnatural.

Hope this clears things up!!

Fairy rings would appear to be fine as it is currently, as the consensus of the LT is.

This Lore has been denied. Topic moved to Denied Lore forum.