[✗] [Lore Rewrite] Fairy Rings

ZBLBAC5

-

For many eons have the natural magics kept the vast lands in balance. It is quite well known by many that the druids use the natural magics of the land to help guide the ancient wills of the Aspects, there is some who say that a stronger connection with nature can be achieved, if not only briefly, through other means. There is an old folk lore in the deep lands to the south, and throughout the sunburnt east, that has been talked about since the days of Aegis; the mystery of the faerie rings.

An odd looking piece of land in which nature itself seems oh so much more stronger than anywhere else noticed, even matching that of ancient sacred groves, is this circle made up of fungus and plants. Many tales speak of avoiding the dreaded rings of fungus, beware the faerie rings they would say, else you will be lost within for the rest of your days. Though do not be afraid dear children of the forest, for those who walk down the path in the light of the aspects, these rings offer a glimpse into the world we hold strong.

Stranger still, I find myself wanting to spend my days within the circle, as I find great peace within and a stronger knowledge through my meditation, except the one question I have yet to be able to answer sits upon my tongue. What is a faerie ring? If I was to give an answer, it would be the well of truth, bringer of dreams, but most importantly, the calling of the Aspects.

~The Druii’ithirn, Arcanum of Ancient Secrets.

-

enchanted-forest-sunrise.jpg

-

Faerie Rings

Faerie Rings are naturally occurring places within the world where the natural energies from the Aspects are at it’s strongest. They are easily identifiable by a ring of mushrooms where the energy forms a ring and acts as a type of lens to the natural world around them, allowing those who aren’t attuned druids to experience how it is to be an attuned druid whilst they are within said circle. Whilst they are naturally occurring phenomenon of the world, they tend to not grow in groups and as such would only see a single ring within a large forest, or grove.

Non-Druid Effects

The very second the person enters the ring they are immediately bombarded by the various noises and sounds of nature all around them, hearing and experiencing the feeling that any normal druid would feel. However in spite of the feeling, they are very much not attuned and regardless of how hard they try, they would still be unable to return any of the communication to the nature around.

After sometime it would feel as if the gravity within the ring was increasing, experiencing a heavy weight upon their very being which would make them wish to buckle to the ground. The very noises would not grow louder by any means, but it would begin to become overwhelming, and disorientating, getting to a point where the character would inevitably either pass out or having a panic attack then passing out.

Druid Effects

Once a druid enters the ring they would feel an immense feeling of energies rushing about their being, as well as feel their connection with nature strengthen ever so slightly. In spite of the strong connection to nature, the ring allows the druid within to be able to clear their mind much more easier and proves worthy as a place to meditate for long periods of time to allow them to perform much more daunting tasks at a lesser detriment to the druid.

-

d514fcb13d0b6af414583ae02593bd53.png

-

Discovery

As they are a natural occurrence in the world it is impossible for them to be made, however they do require druids to find the location with the assistance of the local wildlife and fauna, together they would easily be able to come across the rings scattered across the world. From an out of character point however, the creation of one is simple and only require mushrooms to be put in a circular shape with signage dictating what one would feel when entering, or simply the ‘/frp’ sign to this lore piece. Nothing larger than seven by seven circular shapes.

Removal

A faerie ring can be removed by any regular individual or magical individual, simply destroying a singular mushroom and breaking the chain will temporarily stop the flow of nature overflowing in the vicinity until the broken mushrooms have regrown again. If one were to remove the entirety of the mushrooms, allowing the energies to fully escape, then the ring has been destroyed completely but will reform nearby after some time. The only way to permanently remove a faerie ring is to corrupt the entirety of the forest, or grove, prior to destroying the ring as to disallow it from reforming within the area.

2)Fairy Rings can not be used as a form of torture.

why

7 minutes ago, Space said:

2)Fairy Rings can not be used as a form of torture.

why

Given my experience on the server, if it can cause any form of extreme discomfort it can be used for torture. and getting RPly sick to your stomach can fit into that category. 

Just now, ZBLBAC5 said:

Given my experience on the server, if it can cause any form of extreme discomfort it can be used for torture. and getting RPly sick to your stomach can fit into that category. 

yes but why disallow it from being used as torture

also can we remove the cringey top redline?

5 minutes ago, Space said:

yes but why disallow it from being used as torture

also can we remove the cringey top redline?

No we can not, the top red line does in fact exist for a very good reason.

Also If someone were to try and use it for torture then the worst case is that the mage would faint and torture over. it is not an effective form of torture do to the sickening effect  would cause a faint over a confession.

Why specify the exact adverse reaction mages have, and dull it down to extreme nausea and distress? Fairy rings attune a person to a sensation they've literally never experienced before; Being sick to one's stomach is an entirely standard reaction most people have the first few times, because their mind has trouble parsing what's happening to them and their senses get a little overloaded.

Also why specify that it can't be used for torture? I don't imagine many people go around looking for ways to torture people, but saying that prohibits potential RP of like... Trying to get answers out of a spooky guy and threatening to throw him in a fairy ring to feel the sin he's done or something.

Further... This isn't really a big one, but; When I was learning about fairy rings OOC 'cause I wanted to make one, I was told that they can be dispelled as easily as smashing them up, but they are only temporarily disabled, because they'll just regrow somewhere nearby since it's a natural phenomenon.

Just now, ZBLBAC5 said:

No we can not, the top red line does in fact exist for a very good reason.

Also If someone were to try and use it for torture then the worst case is that the mage would faint and torture over. it is not an effective form of torture do to the sickening effect  would cause a faint over a confession.

the top redline is not needed because it's against server rules regardless. it's like saying 'don't pugsy in a fairy ring'

it's to try to shame or insult a specific person don't lie

Why are arcane mages affected? This sounds unnesscary and a way for druids to make mage traps. Unneeded. The void may not be part of the druid magic but its as much apart of the world as druid magic is to it. For druidic magic to have an ill affect on mages in a contradiction. 

5 minutes ago, TheCritsyBear said:

Why specify the exacty adverse reaction mages have, and dull it down to extreme nausea and distress? Fairy rings attune a person to a sensation they've literally never experienced before; Being sick to one's stomach is an entirely standard reaction most people have the first few times, because their mind has trouble parsing what's happening to them and their senses get a little overloaded.

Also why specify that it can't be used for torture? I don't imagine many people go around looking for ways to torture people, but saying that prohibits potential RP of like... Trying to get answers out of a spooky guy and threatening to throw him in a fairy ring to feel the sin he's done or something.

Further... This isn't really a big one, but; When I was learning about fairy rings OOC 'cause I wanted to make one, I was told that they can be dispelled as easily as smashing them up, but they are only temporary disabled, because they'll just regrow somewhere nearby since it's a natural phenomenon.

To the top point  I am willing to dull it down from making them sick to your stomach to extreme nausea and distress
As for tourture I have been taking with space about this and it does seem arbitrary in hind sight

And  fairy rings are meant to show up where nature well up smashing mushrooms are just going to make it hard to spot

I do not agree with this lore. Nature is a nuetral force. It isn't going to repel void forces because the void is literally woven into the beings that control it. It is in everything. Untapped potential force that coexists with the natural world. It's apart of the world.

The idea that nature is against arcane/void is purely a cultural thing that doesn't need magical lore enforcement. Fairy rings were open to mages before and it should be kept that way. It is strange to give druids an anti-mage abilty.

7 minutes ago, Sir K Andruske said:

Why are arcane mages affected? This sounds unnesscary and a way for druids to make mage traps. Unneeded. The void may not be part of the druid magic but its as much apart of the world as druid magic is to it. For druidic magic to have an ill affect on mages in a contradiction. 

If this is too much of a contradiction I will be able to limit it is just dark mages. but the reason for it is goes back to the reason why druids and mages do not get along it is because the void is naturally between the realms and not within as such bringing the void into a realm is unnatural to druids as it needs to make room for itself by pushing nature aside.

We RPly had a series of visions from the aspects stating their disapproval of void based magic as well dark magic the harms nature. that is why I stated Arcane and dark mages. it is because the aspect disapprove of the magic as opposed to holy mage which is left out.

1 minute ago, ZBLBAC5 said:

If this is too much of a contradiction I will be able to limit it is just dark mages. but the reason for it is goes back to the reason why druids and mages do not get along it is because the void is naturally between the realms and not within as such bringing the void into a realm is unnatural to druids as it needs to make room for itself by pushing nature aside.

We RPly had a series of visions from the aspects stating their disapproval of void based magic as well dark magic the harms nature. that is why I stated Arcane and dark mages. it is because the aspect disapprove of the magic as opposed to holy mage which is left out.

Then those events seem biased towards the druid cultural perspective. Void magic may harm the world but it is not inherently harmful. It is like a volcano. 

50 minutes ago, ZBLBAC5 said:

6) Arcane and Dark Mages will be be overcome will a severe sense of being sick to their stomach if there are placed within a fairy ring, failing to emote this is considered powergaming.

8) There can be only RPly be one Fairy Ring per grove or forest. If there is already a fairy ring within an entire forest then another can not be made.

9) Fairy rings can NOT be used as wards against dark or arcane magic, as they can not be directly destroyed.

As a mage who used to be a druid lol no. Purposely live near a fairy ring because it helps soothe the effects of unattunement for her which is an idea that other people who were unattuned have used before. 

Considering she knows what happens in the rings, knows what to expect, and enjoys it, I'm not going to suddenly change that to her being sick just because druids don't like mages and decided that somehow a ring of mushrooms is able to tell if someone is an arcane or dark mage. 

As for the other two points you expect people to search an entire forest just to see if there's already a fairy ring within it? Excuse me, what? 

And "can not be directly destroyed" what? Just knock one of the mushrooms over and tada, ring is destroyed. Druids have rp'd that as happening before even.

I'm heavily against this, it makes no sense for a dark mage to get sick by stepping into the fairy ring, as "dark" magic is simply a label. What does being able to manipulate lifeforce have to do with mysticism or shades that causes a fairy ring to target them outside of "hostile relationships"? Just seems like a way for you to metagaming dark mages by dragging them over and tossing them in.