[✗] [Lore Rewrite] Fairy Rings

ZBLBAC5

7 minutes ago, Sir K Andruske said:

Then those events seem biased towards the druid cultural perspective. Void magic may harm the world but it is not inherently harmful. It is like a volcano. 

7 minutes ago, Aelsioln said:

As a mage who used to be a druid lol no. Purposely live near a fairy ring because it helps soothe the effects of unattunement for her which is an idea that other people who were unattuned have used before. 

Considering she knows what happens in the rings, knows what to expect, and enjoys it, I'm not going to suddenly change that to her being sick just because druids don't like mages and decided that somehow a ring of mushrooms is able to tell if someone is an arcane or dark mage. 

As for the other two points you expect people to search an entire forest just to see if there's already a fairy ring within it? Excuse me, what? 

And "can not be directly destroyed" what? Just knock one of the mushrooms over and tada, ring is destroyed. Druids have rp'd that as happening before even.

If there are rules seem too arbitrary or culturally influenced I am willing to strike them out. As for the rings dispellement you are correct we have rp them being destroyed via kick over mushroom. (I have receive messages as such form elder druids) However I am willing to change it to it being dispelled by that way.

4 minutes ago, The Pink Lion said:

I'm heavily against this, it makes no sense for a dark mage to get sick by stepping into the fairy ring, as "dark" magic is simply a label. What does being able to manipulate lifeforce have to do with mysticism or shades that causes a fairy ring to target them outside of "hostile relationships"? Just seems like a way for you to metagaming dark mages by dragging them over and tossing them in.

Agreed! -1

6 minutes ago, The Pink Lion said:

I'm heavily against this, it makes no sense for a dark mage to get sick by stepping into the fairy ring, as "dark" magic is simply a label. What does being able to manipulate lifeforce have to do with mysticism or shades that causes a fairy ring to target them outside of "hostile relationships"? Just seems like a way for you to metagaming dark mages by dragging them over and tossing them in.

relatable opinion -1 

I'm not sure what you refer to with "dark magic", but if its necromancy that's just pure lore-breaking, since we're inherently "unsenseable" because our magic is what is tainted, not the actual person using the magic. Therefore their is no way anything could sense the person to be different from a completely normal person, since that'd literally be what anybody would sense, let alone a ******* circle of shrooms. Which is another reason why the common holy fire tests don't work for us. I don't support this if this is going to tear up that fact, and I personally will not be acknowledging it if someone dumps me in the middle of a circle of shrooms.

1 hour ago, ZBLBAC5 said:

6) Arcane and Dark Mages will be be overcome will a severe sense of being sick to their stomach if there are placed within a fairy ring, failing to emote this is considered powergaming.

What allows an arcane mage to become an arcane mage naturally exists within the souls of /all/ descendants. Their is no effective difference between Tom and Gandalf and including Arcane magic into this is nothing but thumb tacking on arbitrary bullshit with no rational explanation as to why.

Necromancy is a natural magic. Necromancers have nothing different about them other than that they can manipulate lifeforce to a degree much greater than normal. There would be no way for a necromancer to be affected by this, as it's by and large a very natural magic in itself. 

Also what affect would these have on liches? Liches don't feel anything on their body and are much different from living beings. You can't really get a sick feeling in your stomach as a lich because you don't have a stomach or nerves to feel things.

All in all a -1 from me, find a cleric or an antimage to ward off magic folk.

Top redline most certainly needs to be edited, you're directly targeting a player.

I have made edits based upon common feedback, thank you for you responses!!

1 hour ago, ZBLBAC5 said:

To the top point  I am willing to dull it down from making them sick to your stomach to extreme nausea and distress

I didn't suggest you do, I asked why you did.

As for all the people complaining about this targetting mages and whatnot, it's something that's been RP'd since before I was even a Druid.

A normal person enters the ring, they get jacked up and overwhelmed because the feeling is so foreign to them and they can't handle it.

A person who's close to nature and remains in balance with it or just someone who's naturally in tune with it enters the ring, and they have a significantly easier time because the sensation was something they were ready to accept, even if it is entirely alien. They still get jacked up, but it's worth it. Potential to get addicted, may not be able to leave, bla bla blah.

In either case, it has potential to be pleasant or unpleasant, and has a whole array of potential side effects, depending on the person and the RP involved.

However a person who enters who's taken great steps that seperate themselves from their natural place, like regularly doing void stuff or straight-up being undead, is connected to the wilds too, and feels the consiquences of that. Druids feel it too, if they delve into these sorts of magic, but this isn't the passive connection of a Druid. It's an active, overwhelming connection that floods the senses and every part of your being. It's like entering a foreign body, and being rejected by your host. Things fight back to seperate you again, and it's quite unpleasant.

5 minutes ago, TheCritsyBear said:

-snip-

I feel it is not appropriate to have an added effect to a mage, so the overwhelming effect is across the board now. So now if -any- non-druid enters a fairy ring the a sudden kick but nothing most characters can not handle. this effect can give a low level mage a major problem, but a high level mage is ether going to have a minor hiccup or knock over a mushroom. it is sill not a 'good' idea for a mage to enter one, but now it isn't a horrible one.

2 minutes ago, ZBLBAC5 said:

I feel it is not appropriate to have an added effect to a mage, so the overwhelming effect is across the board now. So now if -any- non-druid enters a fairy ring the a sudden kick but nothing most characters can not handle. this effect can give a low level mage a major problem, but a high level mage is ether going to have a minor hiccup or knock over a mushroom. it is sill not a 'good' idea for a mage to enter one, but now it isn't a horrible one.

If a Druid's day is mucked up because they even dabble in void magic, then the inverse should be even worse considering it's a lense for the druidic power of an entire region and it's actively poured into somebody.

5 minutes ago, TheCritsyBear said:

If a Druid's day is mucked up because they even dabble in void magic, then the inverse should be even worse considering it's a lense for the druidic power of an entire region and it's actively poured into somebody.

True but that is an internal rule of the druids which we can make unilaterally, however the reason I made it across the board is to avoid-meta and to avoid any arbitrary nature of what happens if you step in if you are x, y or z. which is exactly I wished to clear up with this post

1 hour ago, Sir K Andruske said:

Nature is a nuetral force

I'd disagree with this. Druidism (and nature, as Druidism comes from nature guardians), in itself, is biased towards several aspects- such as against "dark" magics and taint. I can understand the fairy ring giving an adverse effect to dark creatures that are tainted, nothing else. I may also comment, at least when I played, voidal-dislike was more than just part of the culture. It was RP'd that nature was in pain when in the presence of void. That may have been changed, but yeah.

17 minutes ago, ZBLBAC5 said:

True but that is an internal rule of the druids which we can make unilaterally, however the reason I made it across the board is to avoid-meta and to avoid any arbitrary nature of what happens if you step in if you are x, y or z. which is exactly I wished to clear up with this post

If a Druid is tainted by any kind of magic that isn't deific in nature, (Necromancy, void, shade, mysticism, as a few examples I've seen.) they're treated to a real bad time as their connection to the wilds begins to turn against them in a way that they can feel. They feel discomfort as nature begins to reject them with escalating violence, and their connection to it is slowly pushed away the longer they persist. To reiterate: They feel this because they're connected to the wilds.

So, if you go into something with a pre-existing connection like that which hurts a Druid, going full-force, it should be expected that the feelings that a Druid gets would be reflected the same... Except a Druid gets that feeling when they're just dipping their toes into the arcane pool and their power is idle, and can go mad if they don't get themselves unattuned. And they start off from a deep relationship with the wilds that is hard to simply break away from. So, you're going into the foci of an incredible amount of druidic energy, actively pouring over you, capable of attuning a person to an entire forest in the same way a Druid is, while being a fully learned mage... It should be a very bad experience, unless you haven't touched magic for years or something.

Druid magic doesn't harm arcane forces. Arcane forces arent blight. Period. Arcane forces may hurt druidic forces but not inherently. However you want to deal with unattunement lore is fine. It is a deity based magic with specifications for havinh the mahic but having naturally occuring places that somehow repel arcane mages crosses a line druidism shouldn't be able to cross.