[✗] [Lore Submission] Lycans

jyecarson

Lycans  

67 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like this idea?

43 minutes ago, TheCritsyBear said:

You've improved it a lot, and you're really getting there. It just needs a little more tweaking, yo! Don't quit just because some dudes don't like it! Here's a few notes I wrote down while I was reading:

-Nemiisae isn't public knowledge, and the aspects tend not to reveal themseleves directly. Further, a lot of Druids get violent about Nemiisae, so maybe having it be something they aren't really sure about would be better. Maybe have some real spooky nightmare on the night of their first transformation that involves vague forces of nature and death, but not which aspect specifically did it. Nemiisae can still be responsible, of course, but having it be something outright known without a lot of soul-searching can lead to them having a bad relationship with a lot of people who are meant to help them from the looks of this lore. I was one of the people who suggested Nemiisae be responsible, though, so I still think it's a good idea.

-The shapeshifting should be a little more imperfect, like coming out a little wrong. Breaking your entire body is a good start, but that doesn't change that the end product is the same as a real shapeshifter would get. Maybe it should not quite be a literal wolf, more of a.. Werewolf, y'know? Like being able to clumsily stand on their hind legs if they need to, or something. If it's already meant to be like that, clarify it yo.

-Alignment restrictions ain't good. Chaotic good is chaotic cool, but it isn't good to tell people what alignment they have to play. Bad people can hate spooks too.

-Maybe cut out the healing factor, except like... Broken bones or something, since their bones reknit themselves anyway. It makes sense to me, since folklore werewolves do it, but it does seem a little difficult to balance out.

-Maybe make it so wolfsbane makes it so they can't transform. That isn't a fault, that's just a suggestion.

-You gotta try to find more substantial weaknesses, yo, or make the current ones a little more obvious to the reader. This is something I'd love to play with, but as it is now it wouldn't be acceptable as a player creature with so many strengths and so few weaknesses.

-I think limiting the ones who can spread it to ETs at first is a good idea, but perhaps clarify like... There needs to be special conditions for the curse to spread, or something else that stops it from spreading willy-nilly from every bite.

please don't make it ET only we need werewolves we have vampires ghosts and frankensteins people can play dreadknights paleknights and those muscle-liches which are ******* impenetrable give nature guys something that's cool and edgy too please

I've done a few small edits making them be able to stand on their hind legs, removing the alignment part and trying to make the weaknesses a little more obvious, I'll continue to work on it, Thanks for the suggestions!

1 hour ago, jyecarson said:

The curse will only effect humans, elves and dwarves.

Dwarves were random... If Halfling can't become were-wolves why Dwarves? 

17 minutes ago, Sorairo said:

Dwarves were random... If Halfling can't become were-wolves why Dwarves?

Bone structure and size. The transformation process killing some races, the healing factor not powerful enough to keep them alive.

Plus you just want puppy-men. ?

2 hours ago, TheCritsyBear said:

-Nemiisae isn't public knowledge, I was one of the people who suggested Nemiisae be responsible, though, so I still think it's a good idea.

The deity simply doesn't function anymore. Nemiisae /actually/ doesn't exist in modern day LotC unless the LM's changed it recently. She locked herself away with the Mori and never came out, so she's technically not even in this realm of existence or her aengul plane or whatever. Curse is too new to develop on Nemiisae's behalf.

39 minutes ago, GrimReaper98 said:

The deity simply doesn't function anymore. Nemiisae /actually/ doesn't exist in modern day LotC unless the LM's changed it recently. She locked herself away with the Mori and never came out, so she's technically not even in this realm of existence or her aengul plane or whatever. Curse is too new to develop on Nemiisae's behalf.

She's still present. That's all I can really say about that.

I'm seeing alot of arguments on this about "make it ET exclusive because if we are restricting it to only good rpers then its pointless" so I've got an idea.

So after the whole tranformation happens,you are only a part lycan(or just whatever weaker version of it) and you must rp it for 2 weeks give or take and then the people you rped with have to vote if you are worthy of being a full lycan.If the majority says no then you are cured of the curse,that way bad rpers(for example me ;-;) get to try it out and see if they can pull it off,because just saying "you're not experienced enough" just makes the whole thing pointless.Ehh idk do whatever

Most of these abilities are just that of a Strigae. There is no need for this to be a player creature or even an event one as the Strigae which are more balanced already exist. Sorry but -1.

54 minutes ago, KBR said:

Most of these abilities are just that of a Strigae. There is no need for this to be a player creature or even an event one as the Strigae which are more balanced already exist. Sorry but -1.

But are Strigae really a thing?

Another factor I'd like to add is the fact that their souls have been altered and the way they that this transformation looks like a sense of impurity in Tahariae's eyes. 

Their weakness should be able to be harmed by Aerial's Ascended and Tahariae's Clerics. 

On 19/01/2017 at 7:38 PM, Nekkore said:

Another factor I'd like to add is the fact that their souls have been altered and the way they that this transformation looks like a sense of impurity in Tahariae's eyes. 

Their weakness should be able to be harmed by Aerial's Ascended and Tahariae's Clerics.

I don't know much about Ascended or Clerics or how they work but I'll look into it!

17 minutes ago, jyecarson said:

I don't know much about Ascended or Clerics or how they work but I'll look into it!

Something like this makes me wonder if they can be affected by holy magic. 

On 1/16/2017 at 3:06 AM, jyecarson said:

The third is a semi transformation: This transformation is painless, Only the eyes change form, this can be done in a couple seconds and only needs 1-2 emotes and is more for aesthetics than anything else.

For starters I like this idea, and I think it could add alot and could be fun for a large range of players...but something like this has the potential to be abused quite a bit and I think it needs to be more refined then it currently is. One thing I'm afraid of is the above, yeah it's cool but it could also be construed as quite cringey if not rped properly. Sorry but it's true. I'd suggest turning active glowing eyes into bioluminescent or passive phosphorescent eyes and not making it an ability, it'd make more sense in my opinion but it's up to you.

-Increased Strength: As well as their senses there strength is also increased. Allowing them to lift much more that any normal human can.

-Increased Agility, Speed and Stamina: There agility, body coordination and balance are much greater than that of any human allowing them to jump, climb and run incredibly fast with little difficulty.

-Increased senses: There senses become more acute, (Sight, Smell and hearing) Similar to those of an actual Wolf, They can hear heartbeats of other living creatures from up to 20 (about 6 meters) feet away and smell other living creatures from up to 40 (about 13 meters) feet away.

-Increased durability: The body of a Lycan is much stronger than that of a normal humans, meaning normal weapons do little damage to them and their skin is harder to pierce, but enchanted weapons or weapons made of gold or silver are extremely effective against them.

-Healing Factor: When transforming Lycans heal at a rapid rate, this is how the Lycan survives the process of having every bone in their body broken and reformed, though this abilities only activates when transforming, meaning they heal at a normal rate most of the time.

The Lycans abilities are strongest when they are exposed to direct moonlight, being better connected to Nemiisae herself.

The Lycans abilities are all halved when in their normal form.

If I'm being honest, as a player run creature this is pretty op in my opinion. Hearing heartbeats, and smelling creatures from that far away people will get pretty pissed off. You literally couldn't sneak up on them ever, you're not giving players a chance period.

-Gold weapons are extremely effective against Lycans.

Why gold? Aurum is usually reserved for creatures of the dark.

This one puts the Lycan in a state of bloodlust, Hunting and killing spooks and everything that gets in their way, their mind completely lost to the beast within the Lycan will attack anything that gets in its way, even turning on best friends or city guards.

IDK why this just seems weird, or off in some way. New creatures are supposed to create rp, killing everything as a super wolf doesn't create rp really. Killing people just ends it...explain how this could be fun. For all parties involved. Not only that it goes against the balance you mention a few times through the lore.

Their long claws, bones, or teeth can be grinded down into a fine dust, which can be used in Alchemy as a powerful fire symbol of Rage and Destruction. This makes them quite useful in potions revolving around those properties, such as Alchemist’s fire. They are also as sturdy as iron, or even steel in some cases. So they may be used as effective arrow-heads, melee weapons, and the like.

So you're telling me these things can cut through steel plate with their teeth and claws?

-Mages lose all voidal and deity connections upon being bit.

What? Why?

As a side note I think it'd be a good idea to add some sort of personality influence from this. If you've ever read the wheel of times you know what I'm talking about. Perhaps after several years they have trouble telling the difference between wolf and human forms, and act more aggressive in their human form, perhaps even succumbing to their wolf like nature after a very long time.

As it stands it's a pretty op creature and even as an ET creature it's pretty powerful. It needs to be nerfed a bit if you want to get this accepted in my opinion or people may be upset.

I'd also suggest when it comes to their powers, that in human form it's only slightly enhanced. Also if you do it properly and nerf it down you won't need to be as weak in your human form. Bone diseases? You'll be walking around like a cripple...how's that make for fun rp? Not to mention you note rapid healing during transformation, wouldn't this 'solve' alot of the bone diseases going to and from lycan form?

Sorry if you feel like I'm being too harsh, it's just my opinion. Something like this fits into the fantasy realm of lotc, you just need to get it right. Good luck and feel free to pm me if you want any help or just quote me on the forums!

4 hours ago, Wendigo said:

-snipp-

Wendigo knows where it's at, Jye. Listen to him and this lore can make it to the players, yo! Though; Don't completely discard things on a whim, try to make them fit with the suggestions made first.

I'd suggest you keep the weaknesses down to wolfsbane and silver, to keep it unique. Make the Witch hunters keep themselves stocked with more than just aurum.

The personality influence he noted is a pretty good idea too.

I'd say more but I'm pretty busy right now!

19 hours ago, Wendigo said:

Sorry if you feel like I'm being too harsh, it's just my opinion. Something like this fits into the fantasy realm of lotc, you just need to get it right. Good luck and feel free to pm me if you want any help or just quote me on the forums!

I don't think its to harsh at all, these are really great suggestions and I'll be sure to make some changes to the lore accordingly, just to answer the loss of voidal and deity connections it was highly suggested that the curse effect there soul as well, making them unable to do magic because people felt being a lycan and a mage would be to powerful. Also i'll remove the gold from weaknesses, i guess i was just trying to give them more weaknesses even if they didn't make complete sense, I'm sure i could find an actual reason for it, but it may just be easier to remove it all together.

19 hours ago, Wendigo said:

So you're telling me these things can cut through steel plate with their teeth and claws?

They can't cut threw steel but they are as strong as steel, making there bones effective weapons when sharpened, if someone did have a lycan bone sword they could represent it MCly with just a normal iron sword, it also means its considerably harder to break there bones.