[✗] Mavet, Daemon of Divine Knowledge

EmbryoGod

A leatherbound book lays before you, a quick read of the golden letters on its spine read out “The Gospel of Mavet”

A frail, young woman had taken sick to her bed. Her once golden hair had turned gray, her once soft and beautiful pale skin had turned a leathery, wrinkly heap. She was no longer beautiful, and therefore had no longer served her purpose to her husband, who promptly left. Her frail figure sat, almost surgically attached to her bed. The boils on her chest and the aches of her bones caused her an auditory anguish to be let out occasionally. Most of her family had considered her mad, and to be cursed by GOD. No Cleric came to help her, no well-meaning priest to come and chant in tongues to a careless god in the sky. She was alone. And as all will eventually do in loneliness, her faculties began to flee from her now broken form, whether that be from the disease, no one shall know. She proclaimed that she heard voices, whispering to her in the night, giving her comfort as she lay to die. That was the last straw for her poor mother and dear, loving father. They hatched a plan to take her in her sleep, to bring a blade through her form as to finally end the wretched thing’s suffering. But it would already be too late, for in the early hours of the morning she shouted her final proclamation to the world: “Mavet!” she yelled out, before a fit of coughing took her. At these words, her body fell calm. She took pleasure in the boils, who now no longer caused her harm. She paid no more attention to the arthritis in her joints, as it no longer pained her. After a moment of triumph, she felt tired. It had been a long journey, and she had finally reached its apex. Her eyelids fell heavy, her body succumbing to the warmth of the bed. She drew in one final breath, and released it out into the world: one final sigh of relief from a woman who finally understood and accepted the neglect of the cold, cruel world. Her  father came in the middle of the night, appalled a what he found lying in the bed. He wept and ran to his daughter’s side, dropping the dagger that was to be her demise and instead taking her hand. If the father had truly seen the world about him, he would see his daughter at the opposite side of the bed, her hand held by a man of quite a sickly, horrifying description, as he carried her away into the sky.

The beginning, like it is for most nameless Aengudaemons, wandering around their prospective planes, is something of a performance for Mavet. The world being built piece by piece by what the mortals call the Creator provided the fledgling Daemon hours of entertainment. He watched, astonished by the deftness of the Creator’s hands, the time and care he took into molding each and every piece of the puzzle, so that it may be appreciated by the Creator’s eventual children.

And what mighty children they were! Mavet watched their adventures conquering Iblees, their trials and tribulations as the horrible curses took their toll. Of course, to Mavet, he saw no difference between the three, even as the curses took hold of them. “All souls look the same, Human, Elf, or Orc.” he said to himself. For Mavet, and for many others, time is not something linear. In fact, quite the opposite is true. Mavet saw all the trials and tribulations of every future and past event cascading around him all at once. It was an overwhelming, lonely feeling, one often ignored by the show of mortality going around underneath him.

When he wasn’t to his vice of watching the 24/7 show that the Creator had made, Mavet spent time wandering around his domain. He would stop by the once lush, fertile gardens that hung all manner of fruits to be enjoyed, to be taken right from the vine or earth and into one’s mouth. It was a warming, comforting feeling to Mavet; one he desperately needed. In the beginning of his life, Mavet’s morality was shaped heavily by the going-ons of the mortals. He watched with a teary, red eye as the Orcs slaughtered the Salvian people at Anthos. Mavet saw the destruction that Iblees wrought upon the mortals, and how they eventually separated out and gave up their brotherhood that so dearly mattered to the Creator.

In fact, it was the Creator’s disappearance that saddened Mavet most of all. He had created such a wonderous place and yet, much like a drunken farmer, was unable to tend to the land that he worked so hard to create. Perhaps the Creator had abandoned his own creation? Such a thought was impossible to Mavet. No father willingly leaves his children, at least, not without proper care.  

Then, a thought entered into Mavet’s head: crystal clear as the beautiful seas of Axios. It was the job of the beings like him, the Aengudaemons, to tend to the Father’s field. Mavet, and all the others, they were to handle the world in the Creator’s stead. It was the job of they, the ever-living to govern and maintain the integrity of the Creator’s work.

Book One: Unification

Mavet needed to spread the gospel of his thoughts to the rest of the others like him. He had been watching the mortals for some time, and had a vague idea of where he should start: Tahariae. Tahariae, Mavet believed, shared a similar idea on the preservation of the perfection of the Creator’s spawn, and hoped that he would be a good ally in trying to realign the Aengudaemons to forgo their meddling of the world below them, and ensure proper care of the Creator’s spawn.

This, of course, was met with heavy resistance. Mavet had rarely communicated with other Aengudaemons before, and was unaware of the hubris of such beings. Tahariae, in fact, had scolded Mavet for intruding on his domain. To the ignorant Mavet, this was equivalent to how the Mortals knock on their neighbor’s door, but to the proud Tahariae, it was a violation of privacy. After Mavet had thoroughly bit his tongue as he was scolded by Tahariae, he unraveled his plan.

Tahariae had waved a hand to the poor Mavet’s plan, “I have my own matters to attend to. Be off with you, you nameless Daemon.” he stated. Mavet merely blinked and was returned to his own domain, as the power of Tahariae can bring even another immortal back to its realm. There Mavet sat in thought, thinking every thought that he could, and ever would think. He sat for eons, or was it days? Mavet was unable to properly tell, and instead succumb to his complex view of cyclical time.

After Mavet’s long thought, he became bitter. He saw the future and the past, every horrible event that could and would ever happen sprawled out before the being’s eyes. He learned of the vanity of Tahariae, of how such a powerful Aengul could be as blinded as to think that the physical and personal attributes of a mortal mattered. “A soul is a soul,” so repeated Mavet. Mavet watched with growing anger as Metzli stole children in the night, and bred them with the cats of the jungle. His face seething with disgust as Metzli tossed the failures away like cold meat.

The final straw was Aeriel’s betrayal of the will of the Creator, as Mavet loves to call it. Apohet was a helpful Daemon, or so Mavet thought. Apohet, Mavet believed, understood the will of the Creator, and tried to create beings to better govern the lives of the Mortals. This coincided with Mavet’s belief, despite the fact that Apohet believed in a hands-off approach to governing. Nonetheless, Mavet’s rage was so great that his full power was finally understood. He destroyed the gardens of his realm that once provided him happiness. For what good was his happiness if he failed his duties as a Father to the Mortals? For indeed, was it not the job of all Aengudaemons to be a Father or Mother to the orphaned mortals, whose Creator had left them in their care?

It is said that Mavet’s form grew ten sizes that day, his seething rage releasing him of all emotional restraint. Mavet penetrated into Tahariae’s courthouse with a roar so grand that it shattered a hole into one of its pristine walls. In fact, the roar was so grand it shook the realms of all the Aengudaemons, garnering their attention towards the interaction between the Aengul and Daemon.

“You have all sat in your thrones growing fat and lazy as the world below you crumbles,” bellowed Mavet, “I still see the scorn of the children that you stole, Metzli. I see their mothers weeping every night, hopeful for their swiftest return. I have seen your fat ego make you think you can condemn beings of action, Aeriel. And I have seen your sins too, Tahariae. You all have witnessed the byproduct of the Creator. Have you no respect for it? To you, Metzli. How would you feel if I had meddled with your precious cats? And you, Tahariae, how would you feel if I meddled with your Clerics? You have all fallen from the grace of what it means to be Aengudaemon. Just because Iblees has sought to make the world different and war-torn, does not mean that we all should follow in his steps. You are all simply Iblees with a different purpose. Your end is the same, yet you are all too blinded with a lust for power that destroys the world!” Mavet huffed and heaved, having spoke his part.

It was too late for the other Aengudaemon to ignore him now, he had become too powerful. They had tarnished and stepped all over the world of the Creator, much in the same was as Tahariae complained when Mavet entered his Kingdom. Very few others were willing to admit their wrongdoing, however. Apohet was the only one who listened, who sympathized with the poor, poor Mavet. Tahariae rose from his throne of Quartz, pointing a finger to Mavet.

“Evil has corrupted your soul, Unnamed One. We shall ensure that you will be forever locked away to your realm, where you may never corrupt a mortal soul with such a venomous will!” Tahariae exclaimed to Mavet.

“My name is Mavet. And I proclaim myself to be the Daemon of Divine Knowledge!” Mavet spoke as he could feel himself being pulled back to his kingdom, “I alone shall fulfill the Creator’s wishes, and damned to those who dare to defy Father Mavet!” At these words, he was back in his destroyed realm, locked away from the mortals below.

No longer could he look down to the ground and watch the comings and goings of the Creator’s children. It was a haze now, a cloud of confusion constantly swirling beneath him. Despite his initial rage, he felt at peace now. Good and bad no longer existed to Mavet, just as past and future did not exist. There simply was. And at that moment, Mavet sought Apohet.

Book Two: Mavet’s Divine Knowledge

Mavet had discovered an entry into Apohet’s realm. Or perhaps he had always known, for he saw all at once. It mattered little to Mavet as he clambered through a tunnel into Apohet’s world. Mavet needed to speak with Apohet, as he was the first to create spirits to interact with the world, and had the spirits of those long dead living in his realm.

“Apohet, come and speak with me, Brother.” Mavet cried out into the realm of the dead, “I have been scorned by our brothers and sisters, much like you.”

Apohet appeared out of the mist to Mavet, a curious eye now cast onto the intruder. “How did you come here, Mavet the Exiled?”

“I have found for myself a tunnel. I have been cast away from the mortal plane, and need help with the Creator’s Divine Will.”

“I know nothing of a Divine Will, and have no cause or care for it. Speak frankly with me before I keep you here forever.”

And so, Mavet and Apohet spoke. Mavet spoke of his will to return the mortals to a time of peace once again. A time of Brotherhood, where all stood side by side as a single unit. Mavet spoke of the need for people to watch over the mortals, and move them back towards an age of enlightenment.

“My brother Mavet, it is with a heavy heart that I tell you that your deed is impossible. The curse has affected them to their very soul. You cannot change their appearance, nor undo the eons of separation between them.” Apohet spoke with a low, lucid tone of sadness.

“But dear Apohet, I have a plan, and I wish to see it through to the end. Please allow me some support from you, so that I may bring peace once more to the realm of the living.”

And so Apohet was moved. The two Daemon talked for a long time, or perhaps even seconds, for once again Mavet is not very good with mortal time. Apohet spoke mainly, and he spoke of the spirits in  his realm that communed and influenced the mortals below. Mavet and Apohet shared a special dislike for the other Aengudaemons, and this is what brought the two close in their time together.

Mavet had a special liking for Orgon, for he was to spread disease and pestilence, bringing a swift end to the horrid lives of the mortals. Those who passed on were given eternal life with Apohet, and this moved Mavet considerably. “Orgon,” Mavet spoke, “teach me your ways, and so that way we may better bring the souls to us.”

And so Mavet toiled away, learning the ways of disease and its interaction with the body and soul. And after a time, Mavet gave Orgon a host of new disease and pestilence, ushering in even more powerful diseases than Orgon could create, as Mavet was an all powerful Daemon. Mavet is in fact responsible for the many plagues that have been dealt with across the timespan of mortality.

Mavet loved each disease he created. He was still agitated at Tahariae, and particularly loved to hear that Tahariae could not cure all the putrid boils and hellish fevers that plagued the lands. Just the thought of Tahariae sitting there, watching mortals die and become hideous moved Mavet to work even harder. Mavet’s hatred of Tahariae stewed longer inside of him, at certain times the hate would be so great that Mavet would forget his goal.

As Mavet’s diseases grew in complexity, so too did the souls that began to inhabit his lands. He reaped the souls of those who died of his disease, giving them a spot in his eternal land. Orc and Human became brother again in his realm. For all were afflicted with disease, all had boils and fungus and pus making up their entire form. Their grotesque bodies mattered little to them, as the elation of the Divine Knowledge took over them.

The souls cry out in glee in the realm of Mavet. The gardens that Mavet once feasted from have become breeding grounds for filth. The garden now recreated, but with rotted fruits and vegetables, the souls of the diseased sucking in the perfume of rotting flesh and fruit. It no longer mattered to them that the food was rotten. The pain of their numerous afflictions had washed away, presenting them with a beautiful outlook of life. Pain eventually leaves, just as great Empires fall. Such is the first part of the Divine Knowledge.

Those chosen Champions of Mavet sit on his now fat, leathery, necrotic skin. They sleep on hammocks made from the Giant Mavet’s bursting intestines. They feed from the pus that oozes out of every aspect of Mavet’s body. The rest of the souls vie for the affection of Mavet, one of his three eyes always looking out into his grand kingdom, watching the comings and goings of the souls that reside there. The second part of the Divine Knowledge goes as such: Mavet is the only Father.

Mavet’s vast kingdom changed dramatically after his experimentation with disease, or so it is said. His castle is a clone of the courthouse of Tahariae, rotted and crumbled to ruin, a large cauldron replacing Tahariae’s throne. From this cauldron Mavet creates new disease, allowing his champions to taste from it and experience its wonders first before it gets released into the realm of the living. It is considered a great boon indeed to be able to sit in Mavet’s room and watch him brew, to see the smiling, horned deity mix in bits and bobs of this and that, to produce something so heinous that it could wipe out an entire city in a week.

Mavet smiles at his horrid deeds because he knows that soon, he will see those afflicted with his poxes and greet them at his gates. He will get to bask in their happiness as they first begin to understand the third part of the Divine Knowledge: that there is no difference in the soul of Orc or Man, of Kha or Elf, that all souls are the same.

Book Three: The Rot and Mavet’s Boon

Mavet’s creation of disease was no small feat. He had to be careful in such a way as to design it so that Tahariae could not wipe out all of his gifts to mankind. And his plagues are gifts indeed, as they allow man a permanent spot in his home, free of the confines of the incompetent Aengudaemons. It was designed to be a self-thinking entity, capable of reproducing and modifying itself at whim.

As such, the Rot was born. The Rot is the name given to the like-mindedness of all Mavet’s disease. In fact, all his diseases are interconnected, and allow for communication with each other in such a way that is similar to mortal speak. For instance, a virus can attach itself to a being, and then call other infections to the now-vulnerable mortal. It was ingeniously designed, and painstakingly made to assure a limitless lifespan for his gifts to all.

But there is a problem with the diseases that he has created: they are weak, and can only be out in the open air for so long. This means that one can simply sail away from the infected, or burn them so as to prevent infection. This is where Mavet’s Boons come into play.

Mavet has a series of gifts, “Boons” as he also calls them, that increase in usefulness. The first Boon he gives is illness itself. It is one of the first steps to becoming one of his chosen. This shows how much Mavet loves mortals, as he is willing to give his gifts to all. He does not discriminate like that fuddy Tahariae, or that incompetent Xan.

The next Boon that Mavet grants to one is a removal of symptoms to their illness. This is typically reserved for those dying, or for those who he selects to be his eventual champions. It frees the afflicted of the woes of the sick, and can get them in the proper mindset to experience his Divine Knowledge, should they live long enough.

The third Boon of Mavet is Divine Knowledge itself. Those who live long enough after their symptoms of illness disappear are in the proper mindset to understand Mavet’s Divine Knowledge. They revel in its glory, and become unusually and unnervingly cheerful, as their pain and fear of death have disappeared, and instead replaced with enlightenment. It is important to mention that those with this boon are still afflicted with illness and are still spreading it, however they simply do not care. For who is to care about such triviality when you have received such an amazing gift?

The last and final Boon of Mavet has yet to be given out to mortals. It is to take on the power of communing with the Rot, in much a way as druids do. These are Mavet’s Champions, who are tasked with bringing new disease to the land. They can speak to diseases large and small, forcing them to reproduce or redirecting it to those they deem worthy of a special place in Mavet’s lands. It has been speculated that this Boon may not exist at all, but those who search for Divine Knowledge know that it must be out there somewhere, for Father Mavet is not one to hoard his power for himself.

That role is already held by Dragur. !_!

REEEEEEEEEE

1 minute ago, Silver Vandal said:

That role is already held by Dragur. !_!

It's not knowledge, it's a concept talked about in the Lore. "Divine Knowledge" is supposed to be the "will of the Creator"

1 minute ago, EmbryoGod said:

REEEEEEEEEE

It's not knowledge, it's a concept talked about in the Lore. "Divine Knowledge" is supposed to be the "will of the Creator"

The Creator doesn't exist, Kav. !_!

Time to kill myself

The will of the Creator is imperceptible. I'd say Aengudaemons are as lacking in that field as mortals are.

It's lore backing from a book, not an actual event of what's supposed to happen. In the lore post I outline the stuff that he's capable of doing, but the rest of it is like a creation story, it doesn't necessarily have to exist

Just now, Swgrclan said:

The will of the Creator is imperceptible. I'd say Aengudaemons are as lacking in that field as mortals are.

It's a perceived will. It's not that there's an actual will that he's following. He just came to a conclusion and tries to further it

Gud reading.

I liked the part where people commented on the lore without reading it. c;

Seriously though I love Mavet a whole lot. The personality, the story, the whole deal.

why does he need to be crazy gross though

If this turns into an in-game thing and not just lore to read, I can see the Druids (or even the Aspects themselves) having a confusing relationship with this. Disease, bacteria and other microscopic life is an incredibly important part of nature.

cameo appearance: aspects give mavet a thumbs up under the table for accidentally helping them

7 hours ago, TheCritsyBear said:

I liked the part where people commented on the lore without reading it. c;

Seriously though I love Mavet a whole lot. The personality, the story, the whole deal.

why does he need to be crazy gross though

If this turns into an in-game thing and not just lore to read, I can see the Druids (or even the Aspects themselves) having a confusing relationship with this. Disease, bacteria and other microscopic life is an incredibly important part of nature.

cameo appearance: aspects give mavet a thumbs up under the table for accidentally helping them

The Crazy Gross thing comes down to a few points in my head.

He makes a lot of disease and is around it so much so at that point it infects him too without his knowledge (cause y'know, Daemon and all).

It's like a kind of symbolism for him, where the mortals that have lost their way seem to forget that they're all the same inside, and will shun those that have a disgusting outward appearance, so much so where they would refuse to associate with them

And lastly, Tahariae probably hates the ever living **** out of Mavet for looking that way (Mavet could probably change his appearance if he wanted to, but neener neener neener Cleric Man)

Dragur is already the Daemon of Knowledge, we don't need a Daemon of Divine Knowledge.

This Lore has been denied. Topic moved to Denied Lore forum.