[Building Guide] Man-Made Caves

Wrynn

IQhOqOy.png

postdiv.png

Where to find them, how to build them.

postdiv.png

This guide, similar to the Natural Caves guide will teach you the necessaries on how to construct caves that seem fitting for any human or humanoid creature to live in!

bnNLaWZ.png

It's vital that you find a good location for your cave, you'll want to pick out a location that is adaptable for humans - otherwise it would not be a wise place to make a cave. For example, put yourself in the situation of the person who is digging out the cave; why would they build the cave here? What is it's purpose? I've decided that I'll be making a small cave tavern for the local miners, I've chosen this location because there is a mine nearby and it is en route to the mines - making it an excellent spot to bring in the miners!

eKWBC5G.png

MJ2vj7d.png

This step, much like the step in the natural cave guide is thoroughly easy! You simply need to start chipping away at blocks until you're happy with your entrance. This is how mine looked after I took out a few blocks - with a few touch-ups  it could be a prize winning tavern entrance.

0E7uiEt.png

Now onto the more important part, actually digging out the cave. You'll want to try and make the cave shape look rounded and more utility based that you're natural caved design. It needs to look like a human has actually spent time digging it out. So that means that it will be appropriate for human size. The doorways won't be large grand arches unless you're building the Dwarven city - this is a cave and caves aren't necessarily always that big. Try and make it look like someone has suited it to themselves; this is what I came out with in mine.

h88mysZ.png

I decided to give the additional chamber another seating chamber where guests could go and have their drink if there wasn't enough seating in the main room. It's just a little roleplay addition - however you can make it look however you'd like.

8VJgdSD.png

Like in my other building guides, detailing is still a step. This one block stone cave looks boring, we need to add other blocks to the mix so that it looks more interesting! Simply start clicking out some of the stone blocks and begin replacing with other blocks such as andesite or cobblestone. It should end up looking something like this;

tv6ymGi.png

The next step is vitally important. Without supports your cave would easily collapse - no man is able to balance stone as well as nature so you need to add supports. With smaller caves such as this I find it more appropriate to use cheaper materials for supports - such as wooden beams. To add them all you have to do is simply wedge logs inbetween the floor and the roof of the cave. They can be placed randomly throughout the cave - or where you think the cave would be most unstable and most likely to collapse.

6NMQRsV.png

As of right now the supports don't look that great - so we'll start using some planks to add more detail to them and make them look like they're actually supporting the ceiling of the cave. Simply start using the wooden slabs like smaller supports that jutt of from the main wooden support. This is what I did with mine;

SFyL4dP.png

VrupClp.png

As of now, you're mostly done - you simply need to add detail to your cave to make it look like it's actually being used. Firstly I'd start off by using cobblestone slabs on the walls of the cave to make them look more rounded and smoother, and then move onto the tangible details such as man-made objects. I simply put in a few chairs and a counter in my cave which acts as the bar. You'll need to get the hang of using different materials within your builds if you want them to look good! Put flowerpots around the cave to make it look like empty cups, or hang banners from the rafters to make them look like cheap cloths. Whatever you do try and make sure the blocks you use fit with the theme of your build - don't go around placing diamond blocks in a old hag's house. This is what mine ended up looking like;

VXwYoNc.png

LMywjiZ.png

9oAukhU.png

You can be creative with the materials that you use - for example, I've used green banners and glass panes within my leaves to give them more texture and depth (use this trick!) I've also put some RP signs around my tavern to make it look more detailed and give whoever enters it a more in-depth description of what's going on. This guide doesn't only apply to taverns - you could perhaps make a mine, or underground base for your guild or faction on a larger scale, the skills are transferable! Nevertheless I hope this guide has helped you, happy building!