[Building Guide] Farms/Fields

Wrynn

UBH9wTO.png

postdiv.png

Where to find them, how to build them.

postdiv.png

bnNLaWZ.png

Like with every other building guide I have done, finding a suitable location for your farm is very important! If you place a farm in the middle of the desert it won't make much sense and won't look natural - unless it's beside an oasis... Nevertheless you'll want to pick a nice flat area which has a source of water nearby which will make the soil nice and most. I've decided to place mine here - notice the large river being a suitable source of water, and being on a relatively flat piece of land.

wB2DNI7.png

UucH4jg.png

W67horS.png

Although I did mention that it was important to have a flat piece of land, you still want to give your farm some depth. If your current area is completely flat you'll want to follow this step; simply start by placing down blocks and creating raised land. It doesn't have to be a huge mountain, perhaps just an area of one or two blocks height. You can even do the opposite by lowering the ground to create a decompression.

3JmfCBY.png

This looks good, it's a small patch of land that raises the ground level to simply make our build look a bit more interesting. Now to continue we'll need to place water blocks spread out over the land we want to use. Without water the farmland won't very well stay farmland. Just break a few blocks randomly and place a water block into the space. Once you're done you should have something that looks similar to this.

dHrHWxw.png

vvJ9Jkv.png

This once again, is a very important step to making your farmland look good! You need to texture the ground, just like we texture cave walls or cliff faces. This can be done with a variety of materials - podzol, coarse dirt, soulsand. I've opted for podzol and coarse dirt - all you need to do is break randomly at the grass blocks and replace the gaps with your selected material. However! Remember to leave some grass as we'll need to hoe this to create farmland.

2Dekk2p.png

MKUGApV.png

Now that we've prepared our land, we can get to actually planting crops! Whip out your trusty hoe and start smacking it into the ground randomly. You don't want to hit all of the grass blocks as they make for a nice colour contrast. Once you've done it should look something like this;

VsBWFRa.png

The next step is really easy! Get a handful of different plants in your hand - so carrots, beets, potatoes, seeds etc and start to randomly plant them in the farmland. You'll want to get an even spread of them, so try not to get too much in one area or it will look odd. You can use just one type of plant, however the farmland may not look as appealing in the end due to the different colours the different plants offer. Once you've planted your seeds, bonemeal away!

0K7dxdV.png

YikVvWX.png

This last step simply brings the farm all together! All you need to do is decorate the remaining space with tall grass or ferns; perhaps a few flowers. You can also even add a few bushes along your field and maybe even a scarecrow if you're worried about those pesky birds. Simply hit the decorations tab and use whatever you think will look nice. This is how I finished mine;

GpB2jBY.png

And that's it! You've successfully made a wonderful looking farm in no time at all! I hope this guide has helped you, happy building!