[✗] [Lore Addition/Fix] Illusory Phantasms

Demotheus

I'm not going to bother making this pretty. This is a simple thing that's always bugged me about illusion - a magic which I've been RPing for real life years now.

Sensory Illusion contain three types of magic. Glamours, Figments, and Phantasms. Glamours are edits to existing objects, figments are fake illusory objects, and phantasms are best described as figmented emotions.

Phantasms are the problem here. Regardless of whether it's a figment or a glamour, sensory illusion is the alteration of the senses. Phantasms are not an alteration. They are a creation of an emotion and the insertion of said emotion in conjunction with whatever that character is already feeling. This doesn't make any sense. If Phantasms are to be included in illusion, they should ALTER what one is sensing through one of the extra senses (ie, emotional sense/empathy). Whatever emotion that person is already feeling should be capable of being modified, much like whatever someone is seeing can be modified with your typical sensory illusion. It only makes sense.

So my proposal is to have Phantasms be the alteration of one's emotions, not the insertion of new ones. It's kind of a semantic issue, but I think it's an important distinction as to how one RP's it and understands it, and how inserting another emotion rather than altering what that extra sense for emotions is perceiving doesn't make sense when you put that in context with the basis for the lore itself.

Just now, Wendigo said:

I don't know how I feel about this.

Maybe I can change that for you ;D

I never considered phantasms as inserting emotions, I like to think of it as a nudge to something that's already there. Altering emotions? Maybe but taking a magic that's known for being power gamed and adding that to its already large portfolio may cause issues. IDK though, I'd like to hear what the LT have to say about it.

1 minute ago, Wendigo said:

I never considered phantasms as inserting emotions, I like to think of it as a nudge to something that's already there. Altering emotions? Maybe but taking a magic that's known for being power gamed and adding that to its already large portfolio may cause issues. IDK though, I'd like to hear what the LT have to say about it.

Well, it's been in the ancient guide from Supremacy Ops for ages as the descriptor to what Phantasms are.

That being said, I'm working on a revamped illusion guide that goes into way more detail. This is one of the things that got me thinking about Phantasms.

I've also been using illusion for several years now, let me know if you want any input.

I dislike when people take control of my character for me. The internal thoughts of my character shouldn't be subject to the whimsy of other players less they seek to peer into them via mental magic. 

Just now, Wendigo said:

I've also been using illusion for several years now, let me know if you want any input.

Of course!

Just now, Sir K Andruske said:

I dislike when people take control of my character for me. The internal thoughts of my character shouldn't be subject to the whimsy of other players less they seek to peer into them via mental magic. 

Arguably mental magic as it stands is way more controlling then illusion is currently.

Then you dislike illusion as a whole. Your character isn't being taken control of, anyway. It's their senses. Just like you can't really control what you perceive, you can't control your own emotions. While an illusionist can and should be able to influence your character's emotions with a phantasm, what they do in response is up to them. If a phantasm is changing what one is feeling to something that doesn't make sense, a character is less likely to act in direct response to it, for example.

Your character is happy, suddenly she's mad because of an illusionist. The logical part of them will probably realize either they're being manipulated in some way, or they're angry over nothing...though that does leave them more vulnerable to things getting to them, for example. You are still in complete control of your characters actions in either case.

Alternatively, if a character is already angry, it's all to easy for an illusionist to phantasm more intense anger. This would, depending on a given characters degree of self control, be more likely to more directly cause said character to react/act.

As a further note, we can't see what your emotions are. We can't read them through thoughts. Illusionists must use empathy to guess and assume if they really cared. It does help to know what the character is feeling, or at least have a good idea of what it is, in the first place. If a character is feeling a negative emotion then it'll be easier to change it more convincingly to a different negative emotion, and vice versa. But we can't directly peer into a characters mind to do that, unless we happen to also be a mental mage...but then why bother phantasms in the first place?

That is because illusionists are the scum of the realm!

ptsd from the Kalenz days

You don't insert emotions, you project sensations that prompt a reaction from the individual.

1 minute ago, Silver Vandal said:

You don't insert emotions, you project sensations that prompt a reaction from the individual.

Kebab summed it up better than he can sum up the bee movie in 3 emotes

4 minutes ago, First Enchanter said:

Kebab summed it up better than he can sum up the bee movie in 3 emotes

Check the guide though. Phantasms are a core of Illusion, with Glamours and Figments.

Phantasms are literally the creation of illusory emotions.