Character Creation for New Applicants! And old farts.

OzYmandi

Hello there! Soviet here.

So, I'm imagining character creation can be quite hard for a new applicant, so I'm here, after the few months of exprecience (on the server) and 4 years of Table top RPG to make a lil' guide on character creation!

I hope you enjoy.

The first step, is to picture your character in your mind. Lets say you want a Human Rogue (Even though classes aren't a thing in LotC). The first thing, which is kinda crucial, is to think of a name.

I can't count the number of times I went on to create a character, let it be LotC or RPG, I finished up my character and I had ZERO idea as what to name him/her. A name needs to be filled with personality and, well, creativity, you're best off naming your character out of your mind, though inspiration is allowed, the AT encourages NOT to use famous/known/fictional character/people's names as your character, for reasons which are said in the Application Format here

After you've got a good, original and creative name, its time to think on a small backstory, 2 - 3 paragraphs long, as said in the application format, so that you can give your character depth. I personally recommend going, for your first character, an original, creative, emotion-full backstory describing greatly your character, let it be through events or decisions. You can later further that backstory via a persona card made (mainly) on google doc. If you so do wish to make one, a cool format posted by Eternal can be seen here (make sure to not claim Eternal's as your own. @EternalSaturn?)

After that backstory, picture how your character looks like, initially, from the point your backstory ends, and picture it on a skin. Think on how you can find/make/request it. Try to be as close as possible to your character in your skin, people appreciate when people manage to do that! Roleplay is always better when the immersion is full and plane.

After all that is set up, think about his/her personality. You can base off yourself, like I did with my first character, or you can create a totaly different character, with cool feats (not unrealistic ones) and other things. I remember an orc of mine, who was mentally disabled and liked to chew on his axe. Try being as creative or even more!

Well, that sums up all my experience on character creation. I hope the formating isn't utterly disgusting, but yea!

I hope I helped anyone new who's reading this, or even gave some older players some enlightenment.

Thanks for reading, Soviet ouuuut~!