[✗] Afflicted - Adversity of Alchemy

Skylez

Now that I referenced prototype I have some questions for you since this lore legitimately interests me:

1.What are the limits in limb mutation? Could one technically make a whip out of flesh or even launch bones from the body?

2.Are there any areas in the body that can't be mutated?

3.You referred mostly to arm mutations,but could the afflicted make chest,leg or head mutations that could actually turn out to be 'useful'? For example,adding a layer of bone to the chest for better defence or an eye in the back of the head.

4. How deep could the mental affliction go and how long would it take to manifest?

5. Would the user 'need' to end up becoming malevolent or could he simply become more temperamental or rash in his decisions?

6. Would there be any way to deter the mental affliction? And by 'deter',I mean enough to prevent the guy from becoming a murderous psychopath but not enough to prevent a rise in temperament. (Like meditating,trying to make a potion that prevents the mental affliction from affecting him too much,etc...)

7.  Could you show me an example of 'abnormal' body mass an afflicted might have?

8.Final question: If a limb gets cut off,would the afflicted be able to mutate a new one?

Overall,very good lore submission. Seems like it would be an interesting addition to the server and I hope it gets accepted. +1

5 hours ago, Abyssus said:

i too would like to become alex mercer 

5 hours ago, Parkins said:

latest?cb=20140824230319

Oddly enough I have never played Prototype....

Most, if not all of the concept art I used came from the Warhammer Fantasy universe. W40k is superior, though. 

warhammer-o.gif

How I somewhat imagine my mutations to be like, taken from a Warhammer cinematic. 

2 hours ago, Summorox said:

Now that I referenced prototype I have some questions for you since this lore legitimately interests me:

1.What are the limits in limb mutation? Could one technically make a whip out of flesh or even launch bones from the body?

2.Are there any areas in the body that can't be mutated?

3.You referred mostly to arm mutations,but could the afflicted make chest,leg or head mutations that could actually turn out to be 'useful'? For example,adding a layer of bone to the chest for better defence or an eye in the back of the head.

4. How deep could the mental affliction go and how long would it take to manifest?

5. Would the user 'need' to end up becoming malevolent or could he simply become more temperamental or rash in his decisions?

6. Would there be any way to deter the mental affliction? And by 'deter',I mean enough to prevent the guy from becoming a murderous psychopath but not enough to prevent a rise in temperament. (Like meditating,trying to make a potion that prevents the mental affliction from affecting him too much,etc...)

7.  Could you show me an example of 'abnormal' body mass an afflicted might have?

8.Final question: If a limb gets cut off,would the afflicted be able to mutate a new one?

Overall,very good lore submission. Seems like it would be an interesting addition to the server and I hope it gets accepted. +1

1. The mutations can not extend a great deal of length from the body, with things such as polearms being about the extent. While a whip of flesh wouldn't be feasible, one could manifest a spiked 'tentacle' of sorts with about the length of a spear or such. I also thought of the Afflicted projecting small spikes of bone at opponents, though I ultimately decided not to, those cursed will have to rely on conventional ranged weaponry, bows, crossbows, etc.

2. Really anything that is not a limb can not be altered, so arms and legs only.

3. While unable to mutate the chest or head, leg mutations are feasible, perhaps something like avian feet? In my writing, I tried to allow for freedom of the user, but I want to keep it fair for those who have to go against the Afflicted.

4. The mental side of the Affliction grows greater as time passes, with the cursed finding themselves easier agitated in the later intermediate stages, beginning to take affect around six years since affliction. 

5. While I do not wish to tell anyone how their characters should and should not act, as the Affliction grows throughout the bearer's body, mind and soul, they become more likely to resort to a malevolent behavior, while I imagine it can be averted to an extent, though harder as the years pass. The Afflicted could indeed grow to be more temperamental and rash in their decisions, their attitude worsening over the years.

6. Yes, while the cursed individual can 'fight' against the mental affliction by various means such as you described in order to prevent them becoming a senseless murderer, there will be a noticeable shift of temperament.

7. The abnormal body mass I wrote of simply expands upon the user, which results in the Afflicted having strength beyond that of their normal peers.

8. Great question, yes, if an Afflicted was delimbed they would slowly 'regenerate' a new one, the new limb would have a darker, somewhat sickly pigment, this regeneration is not instant, mind you.

Whew, thanks for all your questions, I hope I answered them clearly, feel free to ask more if you think of some.

1 hour ago, Skylez1 said:

Whew, thanks for all your questions, I hope I answered them clearly, feel free to ask more if you think of some.

Thanks for answering all these questions :) I hope your submission gets accepted

If the persons soul is altered to the point they can't even use voidal magic, holy magic should hurt them nearly as much if not the same amount as most other dark creatures.

1 hour ago, Wendigo said:

If the persons soul is altered to the point they can't even use voidal magic, holy magic should hurt them nearly as much if not the same amount as most other dark creatures.

tbf the paladin magic now touches basis with draconic beings on a higher level than any other thing of a corrupted soul, though, i do agree with Aeriel doing something a bit more since the altering of the soul mutation.

22 hours ago, Wendigo said:

21 hours ago, Jake! said:

tbf the paladin magic now touches basis with draconic beings on a higher level than any other thing of a corrupted soul, though, i do agree with Aeriel doing something a bit more since the altering of the soul mutation.

Thanks, I contacted a LM that specialized in this field and gained feedback, worded accordingly. 

Sorry for asking yet again another question,but I was wondering how much would the afflicted be affected by a holy ward. What would he feel?

3 minutes ago, Summorox said:

Sorry for asking yet again another question,but I was wondering how much would the afflicted be affected by a holy ward. What would he feel?

Similar to that of dark creatures (Ghouls, liches, etc) the Afflicted would feel a harsh deal of pain, the affect further amplified if the individual has a currently altered limb.

Thanks for the question.

Examplicius' arm begins to warp and change, and his face would reflect that of a man who is severely discomforted. He looks towards his arm as a blackened mist seeps out of porous openings in his very flesh, covering the gut-wrenching scene, as the palish grey arm changes and warps into a defined shape. He'd then begin to shout out in pain, as it is clear that a large protrusion comes out of the base of his forearm on either side, and on the left side on the tip of his ghastly appendage. It would appear to form...

A +1

Burn the Heretic. Kill the Mutant. Purge the Unclean.

10/10 would do all of the above.

This has probably already been answered somewhere but which races are able to get this curse? Could Satyr or Hou-zi and other similar creatures be affected by this curse?

4 hours ago, jyecarson said:

This has probably already been answered somewhere but which races are able to get this curse? Could Satyr or Hou-zi and other similar creatures be affected by this curse?

Satyr are Fae, they wouldn't even go near alchemy in my thought.

And Hou-Zi are munkey peepul

Edit: Also, great sub, +1