[✓] The Hand of Mordring; Curse of Rejection

Angmarzku

Credits to Tsuyose for helping me write this.

e71df4312ebac492f5de3566fef453d7.png

You have failed to follow the will of Mordring and His allies. Therefore, you have proven to be unworthy. Now.. you are doomed."

The Hand of Mordring, condemning a rogue Wraith to a fate worse than undeath; the Black Mark.

A newly devised tool crafted between the skeletal digits of Mordring in his aspiration to cleave the rogue Wraiths from his arsenal of men shrouded in black, should they detour from the instated tenants inscribed by the ivory lord of yore, Mordring. It is by no means an abusable tool sought for the demise of loyal Wraiths, for Mordring has bequeathed the power and thereby extension may revert it- the ability to reverse-tether to bond that binds a Wraith via ethereal magicks devised by the grandfather of Wraiths old and new alike.

They say, through scriptures tucked betwixt the nooks and crannies of the tenebrous abyss that the harbingers of dark derive from the necrotic power wielded by Mordring, that breaks down their soul akin to the poison of a pit viper. Shattering their corporeal form he then imbues the ethereal body with a bountiful amount of draconic magick, thereby warping their soul into a blueprint described only as reminiscent as the grandiose draconic being- crafting what is known today, as the Wraith.

Though, the Hand of Mordring is more of a religious, prophet-esque role that demands its wielder to undoubtedly follow the law of the great serpent, to enact his will without question; the burden of Mordring’s flame. They, who inherit the fire of Mordring’s catalyst therein become the undeniable herald of the Wraiths, and thereby extension they wield the will of the enlightened dragon. Where Mordring cannot trek, the Hand of Mordring traverses; for the Hands’ mouth is His maw, his non-corporeal gaze is the glower of His, and his will is the affirmation of His- the Hand of Mordring is the incarnation of the great Dragaar himself.

However, accompanying the religious-esque role is the ability to reap what has been sewn, to unveil man shrouded by darkness. A labouring task that can only be accomplished by bathing the rogue Wraith in fire, shredding the unorthodox veil that burdens the non-corporeal figure into nought but ash, and from that ash, wrapped in the pigment of mortality it would steadily re-bond albeit lacking the draconic essence that once perceived mortal, to Wraith- now, they would be mortal once more.

With this reversion came a mark, a mark that signifies traitorous ilk to even the downright psychotic. Manifesting atop the back of their frame, upon the left-hand shoulder sits an eternally swirling haze of darkness, necrotic flesh and flakes of ash, clad in a curse so utterly unforgettable by any normal feats known to both the divine and Man alike. The mark, lacking any physical depiction of its grotesque nature instead serves as a mental reminder- the victim henceforth suffers with a flurry of horrific nightmares of their era as a Wraith. If the fire touches the Wraith, regardless if it's wearing a husk or not it shall engulf it in flames and undo it.

1WzVCqryyPXmgn7s-TQHXFO08peTD0iUuXGC1v_UbTBQibsd-q9GOXVlFMP2hXwhQ4en3nS3IMZJU0Dazn-inYLLOkT9IYNMd9FIiKglAZDF6GY_7jbYyVT5Yj6kg-cSYqFpKm0X

Redlines:

• By no means can the Hand of Mordring global-disconnect a Wraith, it must be done through strict role-play.

• The mark cannot be removed through deific nor necrotic feats, it is a permanent mark.

Should a character become Undead through another means, then the mark accompanies the malformed soul; i.e. should an ex-Wraith become a Lich, then either their skeletal figure or phylactery is marked with an ashen/cinder haze (mostly creative - up to the user how this curse is apparent.)

• Once the Mark of Rejection is complete and the unbinding process is complete, the player’s character reverts back into their former selves; i.e. a ghoul-wraith reverts back into a ghoul.

When a Wraith goes inactive for 3+ months their position as a Wraith will be re-contemplated and likely discussed with the Lore Team.

Self moderation has become a standard it seems. Pro, question mark?

This seems totally unnecessary, in my opinion. We don't need more means to ICly remove someone due to inactivity or IC disagreements with the "leaders" of these groups. They're just OOC mechanisms to trim folks people dislike.

26 minutes ago, ski_king3 said:

This seems totally unnecessary, in my opinion. We don't need more means to ICly remove someone due to inactivity or IC disagreements with the "leaders" of these groups. They're just OOC mechanisms to trim folks people dislike.

You cannot be anymore wrong for this particular instance. There must be a means for moderation for a group like the Wraiths - just like there was before, with the previous variant. I would know, I controlled both of these groups at separate points in time.

So, the curse of friendzone? I already have it. Ok. +1

Anything given respectability needs responsibility, which those who fail mustn't get a complete safety net. This is further true with something rooted in another once legendary player group, being the original wraiths. It's quite surprising this hasn't been made sooner, but yes, nothing should be guaranteed, as that's when people feel the most lenient. Good writing too.

The intent of the lore is clear, but I don't really understand the conception of the writing fully. Might we discuss this piece in private, Angmarzku?

52 minutes ago, Tsuyose said:

grr stealing my rep grr 

No amount of rep will save your rep:post ratio.

15 hours ago, Ang said:

When a Wraith goes inactive for 3+ months their position as a Wraith will be re-contemplated and likely discussed with the Lore Team.

When a Wraith goes inactive for 3+ months their position as a Wraith will be re-contemplated dependant on their friendship with the Lore Team*.
My fear is that with Mordring not being actively played and his aims (at least from my experience playing a Wraith) being exceptionally vague beyond the Dragon production; eligibility to remain a Wraith will effectively be whittled down to how much the Hand of Mordring (and perhaps even the sky god behind them) likes you.

Besides that, I think this is a good approach to try moderating the Wraiths through Roleplay and a better alternative to removing them outright or, as you put it, 'global-disconnections' and it's good to see someone trying to add to Wraith lore. I both give you a +1 and then reel back a -1.5 with an uneasily stance.

Normally I highly dislike self moderation lore that serves to put a power in a single group's hands, but the wraiths are already like that as far as I can tell.  As an 'endgame form', wraiths should have some means to control, although I'd hope not something so harsh. So long as it's not abused like my pessimistic mind often foresees with lores like these, then it seems good.

2 hours ago, Valmir said:

When a Wraith goes inactive for 3+ months their position as a Wraith will be re-contemplated dependant on their friendship with the Lore Team*.
My fear is that with Mordring not being actively played and his aims (at least from my experience playing a Wraith) being exceptionally vague beyond the Dragon production; eligibility to remain a Wraith will effectively be whittled down to how much the Hand of Mordring (and perhaps even the sky god behind them) likes you.

Besides that, I think this is a good approach to try moderating the Wraiths through Roleplay and a better alternative to removing them outright or, as you put it, 'global-disconnections' and it's good to see someone trying to add to Wraith lore. I both give you a +1 and then reel back a -1.5 with an uneasily stance.

This, Also, wouldn't this conflict with the whole idea of wraiths having the ability to go 'Free' from mordring after their 3 months of service? 

21 hours ago, Swgrclan said:

You cannot be anymore wrong for this particular instance. There must be a means for moderation for a group like the Wraiths - just like there was before, with the previous variant. I would know, I controlled both of these groups at separate points in time.

Perhaps the answer is to create a weaker variation of wraith that can be independent then, why can't necromancers turn themselves into a different type of wraith or wraith-like entity? If one of your students/wraiths went rogue and started teaching necromancy to his own cabal/coven then you shouldn't have the ability to just zap their magic away. Also, if one wraith gains the ability to take magic away then the same should be true for all others. If one person gains the ability to take away magic, then all others must be able to gain that same power. Magic isn't something you can control, if you aren't careful and teach it to an ambitious person they will use it the way it was intended to be used. Necromancy is a dark art, if one with ambition learns it they can become so thirsty for lifeforce that they could follow their own agendas to satiate this thirst. 

I understand this concept though if I can question something not related to this lore but as a whole.

Complicating magic.

Wouldn't this complicate an already existing complicated magic? (Look at the magic guide which needs to be update fyi on necromancy). 

Essentially i'm worried that it'll over-complicate things even more so then they currently are and have the playerbase ask questions or be deterred from learning the magic / even becoming a wraith.

9 hours ago, Evocress said:

I understand this concept though if I can question something not related to this lore but as a whole.

Complicating magic.

Wouldn't this complicate an already existing complicated magic? (Look at the magic guide which needs to be update fyi on necromancy). 

Essentially i'm worried that it'll over-complicate things even more so then they currently are and have the playerbase ask questions or be deterred from learning the magic / even becoming a wraith.

It isn't complicating anything. It's a self-moderation tool.