[✗] Dwarven repeating crossbow

paladinxo1

DWARVEN REPEATING CROSSBOW

This crossbow was invented by grilthram grandaxe using a simple gear and teeth to contract the string, load a bolt, and release all in one fluid motion. The length of the crossbow is the size of any regular crossbow, as well as the width of the crossbow is for the most part unaltered. What makes this crossbow stand out however is its loading and firing mechanisms, as well as its weight and overall cumbersome nature.

HzfyJybvTSz1O6fbJctQAgOd13i1GV17CDwRFNyUo4iunIR7nMlYPCNcCT5tDZOx0sTemjZvjYGFT3_oxNlrQgpNMoBU9Knx5EXlfX8FsjZm5kNrbBkpNR05YtwUirnf5zBkIhG3

The mechanics

As stated before the main frame of the crossbow stays the same it shoots with as much strength as any other crossbow however the difference here being that it shots are much much faster. Now let's jump right in a wooden rail rests on the flight groove sliding back and forth up and down the length of the cross bow. The wooden rail has on one of the sides teeth for gears to connect and pull it back up the length of the crossbow. It would look like this (Fig1) except it would be upside down resting on the sides of the flight groove connected at the back. Now at the very back of the wooden rail would rest the string and a small groove for the bolts to lay to be flung forward and down the crossbow and at the enemy. That is the loading and firing portion of the device now lets return back to (Fig 1) The large gear seen here would have a handle on it so that the user would be able to rotate the gear causing the wooden rail to move back towards the end of the cross bow loading another bolt to be shot. Now let's move onto the next part the ammo, Above the back end of the device resting on the sight bridge is a large container of ammo that can be clipped on and off of the the crossbow to reload see (Fig2) It is suggested that when firing the device one lays down or rests against a stable object this will allow for long range firing as it presents the user with a more accurate way to control and fire the weapon. On the bottom of the weapon, a bipod would also be located for mounting the weapon as well as a long stock for resting it on the shoulder.

Firing the weapon itself requires one to be prone or resting on a solid surface. Rolls are -3 accruacy for each shot and you can only shoot every 3 seconds as it will take a few intervals of turning the crank to pull back and fire the weapon. Only those taught by grilthram would have the knowledge of how the gears turn and function correctly. Any knock offs would be very dangerous and likely to cause injury in usage. An LT must over must over see the contruction of the device.

ChronosWeb1.jpg

(Fig1)

Image35.gif

(Fig 2)

PROS

• The device offers quick repeat heavy shots of crossbow bolts at any range depending on the way the user is holding it. the crossbow can only be fired mounted on a bipod or a solid surface having the stock rest on top of the shoulder. In dire situations one may be able to get 1 or 2 shots off in mid-close combat but those shots will take a -5 accuracy penalty.

• It can be used to suppress enemies or fire into large groups of enemies with varying success depending on the situation at hand.

Cons

• It is very clunky so much more than your average crossbow because of the ammo cartridge making it very hard to transport around as one must always use care as not to break the delicate machinery within.

• The user must be quite strong as to rotating the gears would require a lot of strength to use as well as carrying the weapon around so only dwarves, humans, uruks, and the occasional buff elf.

• Loading can take some time and the ammo required will take up a lot of space as well anyone carrying this would be weighed down heavily in battle.

• The parts required to make are all custom made so its much more expensive than your average crossbow however much more deadly as well.
  • It must be mounted to be fired accurately shooting from the hip will likely injure comrades as the weapon as no sights to aim from.
  • It can only shoot 7 bolts at a time per ammo container.

Crossbows already have issues with pre-loading insta-kills. LoTC does not need crossbow miniguns if your pro/con list cannot be balanced. 

(Because the idea itself is decent.)

Pros: 

-Rapidfire 

-Able to poison each individual bolt

-Quiet?

-Accurate as any other crossbow

Cons:

-It can break

-Have to clean

-Harder to make 

To be honest I do not think any one of your cons are going to be RPed. I would wager 1 in 20 RPers actually take the time to do maintenance RP or even creation RP for that matter. These will simply pop up and people will walk into rooms unloading a clip of poisoned bolts saying "You are all dead."

I am not trying to be pessimistic here but I don't think this is a good idea. . . Yet. You need better cons. Jamming of bolts, misfires, recoil, fragility, increased weight, less accuracy, etc... to make up for a semi-automatic tool.

ok chummer let me tell you how the chu ko nu (what you just described) really worked

You couldn't shoulder it properly as you needed to brace it against your hip for the reload. It only fit about five bolts, and the entire thing was fired by working the handle jutting out the side. Not to mention you can't really aim through a massive box. It was indeed also weaker than the cranequin arbalest, but this was usually made up for by mass fire. Masses of chu ko nu users had the highest rate of fire until the advent of the Gatling gun.

This is not based on the ancient Chinese weapon except the ammo holding compartment and noted I am revising it to state that it does not have any sort of way to accurately aim it. also I removed the poison part as that doesn't make a lot of sense looking back at it. and this weapon would be to large and loud to sneak into any area without getting caught. You cannot not walk into a room and unload on people like a hit man this weapon requires to be mounted on a solid surface and requires a lot of strength to operate. 

no, no and NO!

some edgy goblin tried this. dont follow in his footsteps

This isn't edgy its not supposed to be a room broom but more of a support role for monster hunting teams or lone guards men being raided at 1am in the morning when the entire city has gone offline. and it fits perfectly with our current technology level. It just needs some revisions to be what it needs to be and saying no no no doesn't really help me out all that much.

Any advice on balancing the current idea would be greatly appreciated I feel the idea itself mechanically is solid and well founded but any clues on how to make it server appropriate would be helpful.

1 hour ago, Grubgoth Wud said:

no, no and NO!

some edgy goblin tried this. dont follow in his footsteps

Agreed. You're trying to make some sort of auto hand held ballista that would probably be 2 times the size of a dwarf.

I am not trying to make a hand held ballista in fact this design could be as small as the gears and teeth would allow. you could make a version that a halfing could carry albeit it would not shoot as much and the bolts would be very tiny.

and if you read what i stated above a cross bow that size would need to be wielded by someone immensely strong otherwise it wouldn't work.

No I  would ever make a crossbow that big it would just be stupid its a regular dwarven sized cross bow that shoots bolts at a higher rate than the average crossbow and bow in a short amount of time at the cost of its heavy weight and large ammo containers that make moving and transporting it loud and awkward. As well as the weapon requires one to be resting on a solid as shooting from the hip would be incredibly hard to do not to mention inaccurate.

I would like some helpful ideas like hey overlord8000 how about you reduce the amount of ammo in the weapon so that its not a minigun.

I do like the idea, while yes, it could be seen as "edgy", dwarves should be capable to construct such weapons irp, of course. It does seem very over powered, especially since people relate crossbows to roleplay they didn't enjoy.

I for one have seen a lot of people just typing emotes to both reload and shoot while I haven't even finished my first emote, same with people running Irp and reloading, etc. 

I like it, honestly these jerks need to realize your arguments are very true. This is easy to accomplish, but let me help you out. 

Only you or the people you teach can make then.

They must be LT approved and the LT must oversee you making them.

You need to have an app made by the LT to make them.

There is a five second interval between reloading and firing.

The crossbow has a -3 on all rolls for accuracy.

The crossbow would be difficult to carry and heavy, so only dwarves, uruks, some humans, and the odd elf can carry it.

Add this in and I believe it'll be an accepted thing. 

The lore team are only jerks to me, not you!

The Zhuge Crossbow

1. These can be made with out current technological level.
  2. These were not easy to make in any means, it would require skill to make one.
  3. These were in no means easy to carry, it is a must to carry it at the hip and fire from there.
  4. These are not accurate at all, they were made so groups of these can be fired into a group of enemies, kind of like musket formations during the Revolutionary War and Civil War(these are examples).
  5. They were heavy and if you wanted to have a rather large one, you would need two people to operate it and have it mounted.
  6. Is it possible to have these added into LOTC? Completely. Should they be added into LOTC? I have no idea. I personally have no qualms about this weapon at all.
  7. Can it be made so that you would need an item to represent that actual crossbow, have it signed by an LT member/moderator/director/etc? Yes, that is completely possible.
  8. Would you be able to 1v5 with this weapons, no. You would be run down by by them before you got your 3rd or 4th bolt out.
  9. Were they at all powerful? No, people talk about how strong a crossbow is, and hardly anyone actually knows. Crossbows did increase the range and power than a normal bow would but it was not extremely significant to the point you could mow people down.
  10. These crossbows would not be able to pierce plate or sheet metal armor, now of course it depends on the quality of the armor but if the person who was being shot at was wearing steel, you will not pierce it at all.
  11. Now why did I make this, to clarify how this weapon was used and what it can and can't do, mostly.
  12. For a final statement, if there are 4 people carrying these weapons and staring you down, lift up your shield and hide behind it because you and your buddies will not have a fun time, these were made to fight large groups of enemies, with the shooters being a large group themselves.

Now carry on with your day, I hope I got my point across, I may make a guide on armor and weapons, specifically armor.

If this gets accepted I expect gun lore out of you next!

1 hour ago, L0rdB0rd said:

The crossbow would be difficult to carry and heavy, so only dwarves, uruks, some humans, and the odd elf can carry it.

Also that.

I like it, honestly these jerks need to realize your arguments are very true. This is easy to accomplish, but let me help you out. 

Add this in and I believe it'll be an accepted thing. 

The lore team are only jerks to me, not you!

^^^ 

this guy is my hero. Lots of encouraging words great advice and optimism.

I will try to reform it when i have a chance to thank you for the great input.