[✗] [Lore Submission] Lycans

jyecarson

Lycans  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want Lycans to be a thing?

• Heck yeah!
    • No, just please, jye... Stop.
    • I don't care either way.

Before we start i just wanted to say, this is my second attempt at submitting this lore, it is always changing and growing with all the feedback you guys give, hopefully its much more balanced than before?

Lycans

Introduction

Men and women who are foolish enough to travel alone at night have reported being attacked by savage large wolves, barely escaping with their lives these men and women come back covered in claw marks and bites quickly developing fevers and hallucinating, some reporting their senses becoming overwhelmingly enhanced to the point were the softest whisper is unbearably loud, over night their bodies start to change, their bones breaking and reforming causing them extreme amounts of pain, Their hair growing at rapid speeds until finally they are no longer recognizable, no longer seen as man but as a beast, a wolf.

Wolf another one.jpg

Origin

It is said that the very first Alpha Lycan was a hunter in Axios, A man who lived alone in the forest. This man would go out and hunt every day often leaving the bodies of the animals he killed to rot away, not harvesting them for food or fur this man simply killed them for fun, after enjoying the hunt this man would go to the forests around his cabin every day, chopping down the trees for firewood but not replanting a single sapling, This man would continue to do this day after day for years, destroying entire forests and killing countless animals until finally his actions got the attention of Nemiisae, The Shadow of Death, Grandmother Spider, Woman of The Moon, she cursed this man to have the aspects of a wolf, transforming into the very animal he killed so often to do her bidding and help restore the very balance he took for granted, This man received the gift of shapeshifting but at a cost, in order to unlock the power of the wolf he had to go through the extremely painful process of transformation, giving up his old form for a while to better serve Nemiisae and protect the natural balance, Nemiisae choosing the form of a wolf, the perfect hunter. One of a Lycans many goals is to purge undead and unnatural beings from axios, as well as helping and protecting druids and natural animals. though these killing-machines can’t help but yearn to be normal again. It is every Lycan’s wish to be cured. Whether or not that’s possible remains to be discovered. Also, they’re naturally prone to higher thinking regarding the concept of nature and the aspects, and the Lycans often find themselves on spiritual journeys regarding Nemiisae and the Aspects.

Appearance

Carolynmoskowitz_wolf_by_fleurdelyse-d64oqxi.jpg

The size of a Lycan in Wolf form depends on the size they are in normal form, the larger the person the larger the Wolf, It's easy to tell a normal wolf from a Lycan due to their oddly large size and there extremely large teeth and claws, much sharper than that of a normal wolf, another way to tell a Lycan from a normal wolf is the eyes, the eyes of a Lycan are usually blue that fade with age, that being said it’s not uncommon to see a wolf with hues of brown, gray, yellow, and green. At night their eyes are semi-reflective to light sources regardless of their form. Any tattoos or markings a person has in normal form may appear as patterns in the their fur when in wolf form. A Lycans legs are also different than a normal wolfs, Allowing them to stand up for a short amount of time, though they do prefer staying on all fours.

The very First transformation

After being bit by an alpha Wolf the infected person will start to feel sick within the next couple days, the symptoms include rashes all over the body, extreme fever, hallucinations, vomiting and extreme headaches. This usually lasts for a couple days before finally one night the infected person will feel unbearable amounts of pain as their bones break and snap and reform for the very first time, a stinging sensation covering their body as hair grows at rapid rates. This often being very traumatic for the infected person as they turn into a Wolf for the very first time it’s not uncommon for the person to faint. The infected person first transformation will last one entire elven day.

Wolves 1.jpg

Transformation

The Lycan are usually able to change forms anytime they want unless injured or weakened and there are two different types of transformations, The first one is a full transformation: This transformation process is the most painful one but gets but becomes less so as the Lycan ages, it involves every bone in the person's body breaking and reforming as well as growing a thick coat of fur along their entire body. The same process applies when transforming from Wolf form back to their normal form this processes usually takes 5-6 minutes or 3-4 emotes.

The second is a half transformation: This transformation is not as painful as the last, it involves only growing the sharp claws, teeth, or other body parts of the Wolf such as the fur, this transformation can be done in less than a minute only requiring 1-2 emotes.

Red lines

-Due to the amount of energy it takes to transform a Lycan can not transform when injured or badly hurt, their bodies not allowing them to.

-Lycans must transform at least once an Elven week or they start to develop extreme mental and physical pain.

-You can’t instantly transform, doing so would be considered powergaming.

Example of a full transformation

*Bob would scream out in pain as the bones in his hand start to break making awful snapping sounds, The bones in his hands starting to reform as the bones in his arms started to break, Bob falling on the ground in pain as the same process is continued on his feet and legs.

*Bob would continue to scream in pain as he curled up into a small ball on the floor bringing his knees up to his chest as the bones in his legs continued to snap, bob eventually passing out from the pain, his body now a deformed mess on the ground that once resembled a human, his bones continued to snap all over his body.

*Bob would continue to lay there unconscious as the last of his bones snapped, Now they would start to reform themselves starting in his hands and feet, The broken bones taking the shape of paws as they started to set, This processes continuing up to his legs and eventually his entire body would take the form of a hairless Wolf.

*Bob’s skin would start growing hair at a rapid rate as his skull now cracked, taking the form of a Wolf's skull as the hair continued to grow all over his body, quickly covering him completely in a thick white coat of fur, two furry ears moving from the side of his head to the top, the transformation now complete Bob would slowly regain consciousness.

Personality

-Lycans are very territorial.

-Lycans are very loyal.

-They prefer to stay in larger groups, often forming packs with other Lycans.

-Most Lycans will try to purge unnatural beings.

-As well as physical changes Lycans go though a lot of emotional and personality changes, making them act more aggressive in both normal and wolf form, they will also act more wolf-like in both forms and these changes will become more and more noticeable over time, some older lycans eventually giving into their inner wolf all together.

Wolfie.jpg

Abilities

Some of the Lycans abilities include.

-Increased Agility, Speed and Stamina: There agility, body coordination and balance are greater than that of most humans.

-Increased senses: There senses become more acute, (Sight, Smell and hearing) Similar to those of an actual Wolf, They can hear heartbeats of other living creatures from up to 10 (about 3 meters) feet away and smell other living creatures from up to 40 (about 13 meters) feet away.

-Increased durability: The body of a Lycan is much stronger than that of a normal humans, meaning normal weapons do little damage to them and their skin is harder to pierce, but enchanted weapons or weapons made of silver are extremely effective against them.

-Healing Factor: Lycans are able to regenerate damaged or destroyed areas of their body with much greater speed and efficiency than an ordinary human being almost four times as fast when resting and twice as fast when moving around.

-Long lifespans: Lycan stop ageing once fully mature.

The Lycans abilities are strongest when they are exposed to direct moonlight, being better connected to Nemiisae herself.

Weaknesses

-Silver and enchanted weapons are extremely effective against Lycans.

-The transformation processes is painful and leaves them open to attacks.

-If a Lycan were to come into contact with Wolfsbane (Or any other dangerous plant) they would become extremely weak, long exposure to it possibly resulting in death. This plant will also stop a Lycan’s healing factor from working, making them to weak to heal themselves. As well as stopping them from transforming.

-Lycans can’t wield weapons when in a transformed state of any kind, there claws not allowing them to hold a weapon properly.

-Mentally weak when in Wolf form, extremely susceptible to mental magic.

-Poison's are almost twice as deadly to Lycan's when in wolf form.

-Since this curse effects the soul as well Lycan's are effected by holy magics, though their effects are not as powerful when the Lycan is in human form.

Wolves 2.jpg

The Alpha Lycan

The Alpha Lycan would be an ET creature only, The Alpha Lycan being twice as powerful as a normal one, Faster, Stronger and even more powerful when in the moonlight, This Lycan being the only one with an infectious bite, Able to turn other people into normal Lycans.

((People would have to contact an ET if they want to roleplay being bitten by an Alpha wolf, it is necessary to actually RP being bitten to make a CA.))

Side Effects

-Lycans crave the bones of the undead, they love gnawing and chewing on them, It making them feel like they’ve helped Nemiisae’s course and fulfilled their mission of protecting the balance.

-Lycans have an increased appetite on all forms, The process of transformation is very taxing and exhausting for the body, Making them eat more to regain the energy they used when changing forms.

-The curse slowly affects the soul more and more, making it harder for the smaller joints to revert back to human form during the transformation process, making it harder for a Lycan to wield swords and bows in human form, though this would only start to become noticeable in the older Lycans.

Bloodlust

Most of the time Lycan's may transform whenever they want, but there are some occasions where a Lycan will get really strong urges to transform, images of them tearing though flesh and eating on the remains of the people around them run though their head, they start to panic and sweat, feeling pain in their head and throughout their entire body as they start to involuntarily transform, going into a state of bloodlust and temporarily losing their mind to the beast within. This is usually triggered by the smell of fresh blood or when they are feeling strong emotions such as anger or fear. When in this state of bloodlust they have no memory over what they are doing nor do they remember what they've done once back in their original form. Though with time and help from other Lycan's they will eventually learn how to control this better.

Uses of Lycan Parts

Lycans all have special body parts that are almost always useful in alchemy that make them quite sought-after by witchers, alchemists, mages, and the like.

Their eyes can be harvested for alchemical uses, this organic material a strong Air symbol, representing Sight. If eaten raw, the consumer may experience mild night-vision, though they will vomit profusely, the dreadful substance causing infections within the body. This means that the eyes should be used in alchemical concoctions, where their harmful properties can be diluted or even taken away altogether.

Their long claws, bones, or teeth can be grinded down into a fine dust, which can be used in Alchemy as a powerful fire symbol of Rage and Destruction. This makes them quite useful in potions revolving around those properties, such as Alchemist’s fire. They are also as sturdy as iron in some cases, so they may be used as effective arrowheads, melee weapons, and the like.

Their organs all make good alchemical substances for Water symbols. They can make great Healing, Beauty, and other sort of potions. It’s uses outside of alchemy include it making some of the best bait in Axios for wild beasts. It can make even some of the most solitary, confined, and self-controlled monsters into a hunger-frenzy from miles away. Therefore, it is quite useful for the hunter who wants to get rid of the ghouls terrorizing their local village, or perhaps wanting to attract the biggest Buck to collect food.

Lastly, their pelt is very useful for Earth symbols because of its sturdiness and unyielding nature causing many-a-hunter to have issues hacking away at their thick pelts, save for enchanted and silver tools. It’s main usage is for light-armor. It has the strength of steel rings, yet the lightness of leather. It can also be used for straps, bowstrings, pretty much anything that’s sturdy yet flexible.

Advantages/Disadvantages

+You get the abilities of a Wolf .

+larger and have sharper claws and teeth than a normal Wolf.

+Upon death Lycan change back to their normal form to be healed by the monks.

+Lycans speak common in both forms, though might have a harder time in wolf form, having to try a lot harder to make their words sound normal.

+Lycans can smell other Lycan, easily able to identify one of their own, though newer Lycans will have trouble with this.

+Can commune with nature easily.

-The transformation takes a long time and leaves you open to attacks.

-Druids have a lot of influence over them when in Wolf form.

-If a Lycan changes form to often (More than twice a day) they start experiencing extreme physical pain and energy loss from having their body reform so much.

-they can stay in wolf form for as long as they want, But the longer they wait the more painful it will be to change back.

-Weak against fire, Fur burns easily.

Red lines

-The bite will only affect humans, Elves and dwarves, any other race would result in death for the infected person.

-Kha, halflings and Orcs can not become Lycan due to bone structure and size, The transformation process would kill them.

-Mages can not become lycans, the curse affecting their soul as well as their body.

(Druidism as an exception)

-Wolfsbane and other deadly plants will stop Lycan from healing, and eventually lead to their death.

-Only an alpha Wolf's bite can make other Wolf’s.

-Lycans are only slightly larger than the average wolf.

This creature will be playable with a CA

A huge thanks to everyone that helped out with this lore and a special thanks to these guys for helping write some big parts of the lore.

@_SuitAndTie

@Tidemanno

@ForsakenWarrior

@Wendigo

I have made multiple changes since the last post and feel its much more player friendly and balanced then before, I also added in a few new concepts in an attempt to give it a 'twist' and make it stand out a little more.

Edit; Make a few small changes, the biggest being bringing back bloodlust from the last submission, only edited.

Hm, I like it, but I do have an idea. How about they stop aging naturally, like you proposed, but they age just a tad every time they transform? And the longer they are in wolf form, the more they age?

1 minute ago, Archipelego said:

Hm, I like it, but I do have an idea. How about they stop aging naturally, like you proposed, but they age just a tad every time they transform? And the longer they are in wolf form, the more they age?

I suppose so, but if they are aging that slow it wouldn't matter anyway. But I'll be sure to think about possibly adding that.

Druidic shapeshifting already exists

Perhaps this could be influenced by the spirits? A bit like frost witches? Some male-only thing perhaps? Idk some guy had his wife cheat him so some spirit turned the guy into a wolf and ate the waifu?

Just now, Hedgehug said:

Yes, it does, and this isn't it. From what i understand the origin is fine, and it seems druids are kind of split on this, but this is far from druidic shape shifting, druidic shape shifting is changing into the perfect from of the animal, and any animal at that, this is an imperfect painful transformation into an imperfect wolf form.

6 minutes ago, Hedgehug said:

This is different, lol

Again, this is too OP to be played in a CA, and Kha are alot more similar than a descendant to a wolf in their bone structure, yet still they are banned? I dislike the concept, this isn't harry potter or drakola, and OP creatures that are played by players must not be allowed. Making this ET is also useless, as it's mainly about character development. -1

1 minute ago, Trenchist said:

Again, this is too OP to be played in a CA, and Kha are alot similar to a wolf in their bone structure, yet still they are banned? I dislike the concept, this isn't harry potter or drakola, and OP creatures that are played by players must not be allowed. Making this ET is also useless, as it's mainly about character development.

Sorry, i can't play a guy who turns into a wolf, but its fine to play a golem who can literally crush anyone they want. Its also ok when strigae kill me and eat me, since they are practically vampires, but no, this isn't harry potter so we can't have wolf men, this is only a magical fantasy world where magic exists and mages are everywhere, and tiny sprites that fly around and spray toxins.

Most fantasy books, movies and games all have their own werewolf lore, and this is a fantasy roleplaying server is it not? It deserves its own werewolf lore as well.

3 minutes ago, jyecarson said:

Sorry, i can't play a guy who turns into a wolf, but its fine to play a golem who can literally crush anyone they want. Its also ok when strigae kill me and eat me, since they are practically vampires, but no, this isn't harry potter so we can't have wolf men, this is only a magical fantasy world where magic exists and mages are everywhere, and tiny sprites that fly around and spray toxins.

Most fantasy books, movies and games all have their own werewolf lore, and this is a fantasy roleplaying server is it not? It deserves its own werewolf lore as well.

I mentioned Harry Potter and Drakola because they have OP creatures that if you put them in a minecraft roleplaying server such as ours they will be greatly abused and powergamed, and all different creatures have great negatives and flaws, not only that of normal wolves and a plant. A golem can't crush anyone they want and stigae have a bunch of weaknesses, that also make sense.

Hi! It's me again, the guy who wrote a wall of text and tried to help you on your last run around. Here's my thoughts on this read-through!

• First; why would you choose that font, jye my man holy cow I thought you were trying to be taken seriously also get a gosh darn handle on your grammar my dude this is supposed to be a work of art
  • Second; You should strongly consider requiring that the RP of the biting occurs, there are many other curse-based spooky things that can happen to a man, and a recurring requirement with each of them is that they all need to be roleplayed.
  • And then regarding your brief debate with the guy who's insisting this is too OP for people to take responsibly; There are a lot of magical and powerful creatures on our server that have spooked around in the past and they've been fine- In fact, memorable. You gave some good examples too. Others are trolls, frost witches, and ghouls (not that these aren't still around, though.) These are all creatures impossible to fight against as a normal man, with very specific weaknesses that hardly come into play unless one is really lucky or searching specifically for them. This certainly isn't OP, as any guy with a sword has pretty good odds of fighting a lycan off. though in the end it all comes down to us having ghouls, ghosts, vampires and probably mummies but there aint no werewolves in here
  • the racial restriction is a little iffy but we'll see what the LMs think maybe you can just give ways that it's a bad idea for those races to be werewolves such as orcish bloodlust becoming uncontrollable, halflings having heart attacks and extremely brittle bones, and kha uhhhh jeez I don't know

Okay, and now there's the suggestions.

• Bring the bloodlust and unwilling transformations back, yo. Give them some way to go around being an irresponsible spooky werewolf without being a total **** first. Let's say... They have a slow buildup of predatory aggression, anxiety, an individual's own mental duress and other perhaps physical negative symptoms that are, of course, alleviated when they transform. This builds and makes transforming unwillingly increasingly hard to resist, and things like high emotions, predatory instinct and excitement can make it occur, as well as, say... The anniversary of when they were first transformed, since we can't really tell when the moon is full. The longer they resist, the more bestial they are when they transform; If they go too long without it, their predatory nature drives them to hunt anything they see that isn't tied to the aspects (IE fae, druids, other lycans.) though they will attack them if they're given a reason, like any other beast. I think this could help it be a little more unique.
  • On that topic, perhaps the newly turned lycans can only transform unwillingly, and require the help from Druids or lycans who have already mastered their beast to gain control of it. Consider it, yo. Could count as a weakness; Being unable to control themselves without help first. I think this also could help it be a little more unique.
  • I'd like to suggest again that wolfsbane perhaps prevents their transformation from occuring in addition to its poisonous effects, even say if it were concocted in a way that would, you know, prevent them from dying of the poison first. Some mystical property. This way, they've got some way of preventing unwilling transformations if they're a control freak or can't control themselves at all yet.
  • Further on that road; They're strong, fast, healthy and bestial, right? Let's say that means that they have a nice, strong heart. And they metabolize things very quickly. Do you know that that means? That means that poisons would absolutely wreck them, especially if they're in their bestial form. Consider that for a weakness to add.
  • Consider giving players some ritual that could transfer the curse between eachother without the need of an alpha wolf, or alternatively indicate that the ET-only nature of the alphas can be reviewed later if need be.
  • I already suggested this one last time, but seriously; Don't make them aware of their connection to Nemiisae without going to the Druids first. And even then, keep it vague. Drop hints and the like, but it's a real bad idea to have them associated with her IC straight off the bat. Last time I think I suggested something or other about them revering (or resenting) the moon and nature or somesuch. Nemiisae isn't the sort of aengul to spread her name and make herself known openly. She gives hints and respects those who find her in the darkness without her guidance.
  • Okay now a minor one. Perhaps make speaking difficult in wolf form. Requires focus, effort and practice. Wolves growl and snarl, they don't talk. But they aren't quite wolves, so it's still possible; It just takes a little doing.
  • Still gonna say somehow make the difference between them and normal wolves a little more obvious so it doesn't throw off salty shapeshifters. But how to do that without disturbing the flavor? Hmmmmm.
  • Okay last one; Really, really big one but really simple. Don't deny mages from becoming lycans. Don't deny anyone who isn't literally incapable of becoming one (IE clerics, ascended, spookies, peopel who are already cursed) from becoming one. Instead, make it retroactive; Once they're a wolfman, they can't use their magic any more. They don't forget it, but their attunement to the aspects, especially such an unforgiving one, makes doing so highly painful and carry a whole lot of negative effects.

Great concept. I like it. Still a few bugs but it's great. +1

5 hours ago, jyecarson said:

@_SuitAndTie

@Tidemanno

@ForsakenWarrior

@Wendigo

Ow, I helped a tad.

A tad.

+1

4 hours ago, Trenchist said:

A golem can't crush anyone they want and stigae have a bunch of weaknesses, that also make sense.

You clearly have not played a Golem neither have you fought a strigae.

They're more OP than this.