[✓] Mysticism Addition

Zarsies

Note: This lore is a collaborative piece of writing between knghtArtorias (Phil), _Sug (Sug), Angmarzku (Ang), and Begotten (Zarsies).

Amputation - Phantom Limbs

Spoiler

“Obelisks stained with the blood of phantoms; ***** things, odd how they… shape.” - Uldrivt

Numerous bloody volumes lost in crypts, recovered texts in city renovations, and forgotten tomes in libraries depict old encounters with the ageless and truly endless of all known life; Apparitions. Documentation is sparsely found as most who encounter such black beasts befall their black blows and wither but some writings -- not their authors -- have made it. Such works describe the abilities of Apparitions. “Sir Blaine was rended to sloppy pieces by a gale of invisible claws. We could see the claw marks form on him as he ran towards us around the corner. I dove my head in before the winds caught me; they would have lopped off my head.” A lesson in the breeze. “Dissonant whispers pervade the dungeon. Dark voices, all screaming yet quiet, lick my brain and worm in through my ears like leeches. I cannot rest. I foresee visions of the future, of my bloody hands and my bloody axe over my fellow knights as I slaughter them in the night. What hell is this?” A lesson in possession. “Today we came upon a dead end and a trap; now we’re all dead in the end. Philip walked straight into a wall and fell flat on his back as though he were thrown. Something blocked the corridor we were headed through, an invisible force that stopped us. It couldn’t be penetrated and couldn’t be burned, it was some see through stone of sorts. Before we knew it when we turned around the same force met us at the beginning of the hall. Now here we are, stuck, with no way out.” A lesson in Walling.

Ectoplasmic entities with superior souls are known to be able to create effects unknown to most magical arts, each borne of their given state. Entites such as Apparitions and wights, those completely comprised of ectoplasm with hefty souls, are enabled by this state and may induce spells and magic otherwise impossible due to one reason; their composition. Large bodies of ectoplasm are volatile, their very congregations and growths a cancer on peace. Through extensive experimentation upon the living, both with failed and successful results, a Barrowlord came upon a new liturgy which enables mortals -- mystics -- to bear these hunks of ectoplasm without losing their souls to the utter madness the states instill, albeit at a price. Thus came Amputation.

Menhir have proven themselves to be unparalleled conduits of ectoplasm; where aurum spires may hold onto lifeforce as a man may or metal conducting lightning, so too for ectoplasm to imbued stone. When the section of Menhir is cut from its mas in a ring it may be formed into a particular shape through careful carving and etching with a helix-wrapped pattern dug in. Once this piece is made it becomes the conduit for an Amputation ritual. Amputating one’s left or right arm just at the shoulder allows for a properly sized ring to fit comfortably and snugly around the line of severing. Here, slid into place immediately after the arm is removed, a mystic may use an alternative form of hindering to apply ectoplasm to the wound and hold the bracelet in place. Here a mystic must attempt a mental process of visualized stitching to weave their ectoplasm through the bracelet and into the bone of the individual, binding the band into place permanently. Through no amount of force can the band be removed; the bones would sooner splinter and be torn out than the bracelet would be removed. This ends the ritual and is often finalized with a swift cauterizing of the bleeding arm. Entities with bare bones may also have this ritual applied to them, removing their arm and likely bear a tighter, smaller ring. The potential of this process is realized afterwards.

Whenever the mystic who has undergone Amputation conjures their ectoplasm from within them to cast a liturgy or simply to activate their own catalyst the bracelet will alight with phantasmal, fractal light of blues and greens and sculpt a perfect replica of the severed arm out from this translucent, pale light. This arm is entirely ethereal and passes through objects. It may hold or use the force of no more than five pounds and is therefore little more than a makeshift prosthetic for physical use. However, with this arm, the mystic is enabled to cast liturgies of a higher scale. Such a liturgy known includes that of Walling.

Liturgies yet to be discovered or invented shall utilize this augmentation.

Walling - Invisible Barriers

Spoiler

Walling, a feat previously only known to Apparitions, has become a tool of defense and subterfuge for those who have made the proper sacrifices of themselves and their minds. A liturgy only accessible to the Amputated or wights, this spell is the second of battlefield shaping defenses known to the realm past the shields of Arcanism. This liturgy, while potent and requiring Amputation or wightdom and at least a tier four practitioner, is also an exhausting one. Unlike any other known liturgy of the time, Walling consumes two portions of ectoplasm from the mystic’s pool rather than one.

A mystic, with their ectoplasmic limb conjured, may expel ectoplasm to fashion a barrier in front of themselves or around them in a bubble. The mystic must concentrate to maintain this barrier for a set duration of ten minutes or roughly ten to twelve emotes in RP -- whichever takes longer to occur -- or end it early by ending their hold on the ectoplasm or moving their ectoplasmic limb. Should their ectoplasmic limb be attacked, moved, or otherwise disturbed and not pointed at the wall or top of the bubble the shield will splinter and dissolve. The composition of this barrier is equal to a solid, thick wall of hard stone -- an equivalent to Paleknight armor and therefore nigh metal -- and may only be penetrated through an extensive show of deific power to dispel the ectoplasm. A drill of holy light or a Fi' practioner's antimagic may take four minutes (or roughly four or five emotes IRP, whichever takes longer to occur) to rupture the barrier and break it, otherwise only time may end the barrier. The range of which a mystic may move away from this shield is a total of twenty blocks without blocked line of sight. Should the mystic not be able to see the wall or have their arm faced away from the wall the spell shall end prematurely.

Barrier: A wall shaped of 28 blocks in any shape along one plane.

Bubble: A fixed bubble of 5 3x3 walls around a 3x3 cube of air within. Its shape cannot be changed.

Feeding - Granted Augments

Spoiler

“Grow strong for me. Feed, feed, and feed some more…” - Raime

Nurture, sustenance; it is what ectoplasmic beings require - from the cradle of undeath to the peak of their abilities, it gives them strength, makes them formidable in wit and power. Feeding, a new liturgy, is a means of empowerment, given fuel for those who have ectoplasm. The process of this liturgy involves the willing mystic to pull from their ectoplasm, letting it escape their bodies in misty tendrils that resemble a ghastly fog. The willing mystic will then reach out the ectoplasmic fog towards any being baring ectoplasm, and latching onto their beings; granting the beings the empowerment feeding brings (this process should take 2-3 emotes). This taxing gift, once given, grants new strength to mystic and spectral being alike - breathing great power with the expense of the mystic’s ectoplasm; once given, it will weaken, even incapacitate the feeder - should they give too much, but with their sacrifice, the ectoplasmic forms will find themselves with the mystic’s ectoplasm, feeding and indulging to transcend their original powers.

The first of the phantom beings: ghosts, tykes, and gravens -- when fed the mystic’s ectoplasm -- will take traits akin to them being within hindered territory, becoming unbound from their spectral forms, making them stronger, more resilient and able to enact more of a physical presence. When empowered, their body permeates a dull light, and ectoplasm can be seen churning within them and even fuming from their bodies - they will look more deathly and vile, festering with a spectral rot.

Examples of fed ghosts and gravens

WGOYzO0_Ad-xWXTcx4edHMVu6DN2YxK9BPrCMDklTYynHzbDr7KnLGbhQIrcbmgEzGUakGWSa96MZ0-gbS1U88GV2JZiwaPT__4ypFVDno7-WW9qRMvySLpJqGWweGxOMjW_mlTv

Spoiler

A empowered graven basking in his newfound power.

jmwhPXHmZCY_nXUXXYqIh4Wkn5XPKH6jAA55237YII16RpGPNKv4YbKY9f9hH1lRQoUwK4Kt2F2nf1sCWcnF1em_rdw1wYRJ1bRCdV-einBquhOsRaMlz2nENuxGg8Rn-2HX9dNF

Fed Ghosts

Eidola

The hulking stone forms are granted vigor through Feeding, allowing them to perform feats of speed akin to a descendant or strength surpassing their own capabilities. Truly, fed Eidola could be considered as dangerous as a Dread Knight on overcharge, but much like overcharge, it does not last; depending on the mystic’s experience and power, the amount of times a Paleknight can exert their newfound vigor will be few.

T1 - one feat of speed or augmented strength.

T2 - one feats of speed or augmented strength.

T3 - two feats of speed or augmented strength.

T4 - two feats of speed or augmented strength.

T5 - three feats of speed or augmented strength.

While fed, the stone knights will find ectoplasmic energy fuming from gaps and cracks within their stone, fading after the feat(s) are used and disallowing them from being able to hide as statues. Fed Paleknights will find that any self-inflicted damage -- stone plates grinding against one another during movement or the bearing down of their limbs -- becomes amplified and if not cautious with their strength a blow to themself could prove crippling.

Mystics

[More ectoplasm/potency to use]

From granted Ectoplasm, a mystic will be able to do one of following: Augment one of their spells, or use it as additional ectoplasm for more spell use. Verily, this form of feeding is useful in both teaching application or general uses such as turning a ritualistic kill with Saturation into two or through Hexing.

Wights

[Increased sphere of influence]

A Wight will find that their sphere of influence will expand for a set amount of uses, allowing them to enact their telekinetic, psionic, or illusionary powers within this expanded area akin to an Apparition’s degree of prowess. The area is now meters larger, and depending on skill more uses and range can be achieved.

Tier 1 - The Wight has a field if influence of 5 meters for one feat.

Tier 2- The Wight has a field of influence of 6 meters for one feats.

Tier 3 - The Wight has a field of influence of 7 meters for two feats.

Tier 4 - The Wight has a field of influence of 8 meters for two feats.

Tier 5 - The Wight has a field of influence of 8 meters for three feats.

Draining - Reaping Augments

Spoiler

“You will bleed for me.” -Drekvlak  

“Let me extract some parts out of your essence, wretch.” - Ghamul

Through a process akin to hindering a mystic, as formulated by the Barrowlord Drekvlak and Ghamul of the Wraiths, ectoplasm can be used to throw a metaphorical net towards the soul of a phantom -- ghost, graven, or paleknight -- and fish our more ectoplasm than what was spent. In doing so a user can draw ectoplasm from phantoms to replenish their own at the cost of the phantom, weakening them until theirs regenerates or they die. Should a phantom be drained three times they lose their ectoplasm entirely and demanifest, dying until their soul shadow relocates and regenerates with times as persistent shadows do.

T1 - one regained liturgy slot

T2 - one regained liturgy slot

T3 - two regained liturgy slots

T4 - two regained liturgy slots

T5 - three regained liturgy slots

10 emotes is absolutely not equivalent to 10 minutes

edit: that's the weirdest double post ever xd

38 minutes ago, Destroyer_Bravo said:

10 emotes is absolutely not equivalent to 10 minutes

This.

I like it, but as said by those earlier earlier.. Ten emotes, depending on how rp is flowing, could be only two minutes. Or five. Or fifteen. Just leave it to ten rp minutes and dont specify emote amounts with something like that!

Hell, ten emotes can even be ten seconds in some situations.

I meant whichever is the greatest of the two. I'll edit that now. 

3 hours ago, Zarsies said:

A drill of holy light may take four minutes (or roughly four or five emotes IRP) to rupture the barrier and break it, otherwise only time may end the barrier.

With processed ectoplasm -- taking two spell slots instead of one -- and a sacrifice of amputating an arm the benefits assumed from those costs nothing but very strong holy magic or time can defeat such a shield.

It is implied no physical means can bypass the wall.

4 hours ago, Zarsies said:

“Obelisks stained with the blood of phantoms; ***** things, odd how they… shape.” - Uldrivt

Uldrivt is a nasty boy

If doing this won't work its strong as ****.

A-turret-of-a-tank-belong-004.jpg?w=620&

Amputation - Phantom Limbs

"This arm is entirely ethereal and passes through objects."

If a Mystic is put into a cell they can, go through the bars with this arm? If so saying that it's limited to 5 pounds if they where to physically lift up an object... Let's say keys to the door, how does this work?

Does the arm become a solid limb, just the hand portion? or is it all still translucent and the object just acts as if a solid is moving it when in fact, it isn't?

Walling - Invisible Barriers

"The composition of this barrier is equal to a solid, thick wall of hard stone -- an equivalent to Paleknight armor and therefore nigh metal -- and may only be penetrated through an extensive show of deific power to dispel the ectoplasm. A drill of holy light may take four minutes (or roughly four or five emotes IRP) to rupture the barrier and break it, otherwise only time may end the barrier. "

Why must this barrier only be able to be destroyed by those of holy art? Can nothing overpower the shield despite this? Perhaps brute force or weaponry? (Lets say, a sword slice won't do anything, though a heavy stab might pierce the barrier?)

Can magic pass through this barrier or what if a mage already has a magic cast behind it? Will it fade or still exist? (EG: Conjuration - Wolf).

What if more force is pushed against said mystic with a round bubble? 3 telekinesis mages drop a massive boulder on the mystic who has the shield up. What'll happen?

What's the purpose of making it a holy drill only effecting?

--

I kinda like the rest but that's what my concerns are? If they are concerns, more so questions.

1 minute ago, Evocress said:

If a Mystic is put into a cell they can, go through the bars with this arm? If so saying that it's limited to 5 pounds if they where to physically lift up an object... Let's say keys to the door, how does this work?

Does the arm become a solid limb, just the hand portion? or is it all still translucent and the object just acts as if a solid is moving it when in fact, it isn't?

There is no functional advantage of having this arm, it would be rule breaking anyways to have lore allow that too. It is metaphysical and therefore ethereal, as if mist. 

12 minutes ago, Evocress said:

Why must this barrier only be able to be destroyed by those of holy art? Can nothing overpower the shield despite this? Perhaps brute force or weaponry? (Lets say, a sword slice won't do anything, though a heavy stab might pierce the barrier?)

Can magic pass through this barrier or what if a mage already has a magic cast behind it? Will it fade or still exist? (EG: Conjuration - Wolf).

What if more force is pushed against said mystic with a round bubble? 3 telekinesis mages drop a massive boulder on the mystic who has the shield up. What'll happen?

What's the purpose of making it a holy drill only effecting?

--

I kinda like the rest but that's what my concerns are? If they are concerns, more so questions.

As said, nothing can pass except for ectoplasmic entities because of the degree of investment in just making a wall.

No. Still exist.

The shield will make it roll off.

Having a way to drill past the barrier. It is meant to be the epitome of an a defense; defensive magical art, permanent character sacrifice to use it, etc means it should have more of an effect -- something defensive -- over offensive attempts to foil it.

--

I understand.