[✗] Project #8900 Thanic-Mana Cannons

Taketheshot

Project #8900

Thanic-mana projectile weapon

latest

Sources of lore used:

https://www.lordofthecraft.net/forums/topic/151261-%E2%9C%93-mineral-lore-magnetus/

https://www.lordofthecraft.net/forums/topic/142474-thanhium/

https://www.lordofthecraft.net/forums/topic/157626-%E2%9C%93-metal-lore-goblin-boomsteel/#comment-1491203

((I want to stress that making this is not as simple as buying it for 500 minas before a warclaim, This weapon was designed to give us, being the Westerlands. An RP edge in the current war against the undead. It wasn't meant to be a siege item but a weapon for our battles against Mordring, if the LT decides to accept it as a siege weapon for warclaims great! If they don't want it in a warclaim that is fine but please still give the RP aspect of it a shot. A Lot of us Westerlander’s put a lot of time designing this for use against Mordring. If you have a suggestion or any questions please post them below. We welcome the feedback))

Project #8900 of Westerlands research and development program has come to be known as the Thanic-mana projectile weapon. Or mana cannon, for short. The mana cannon relies on a complex, natural but controlled reaction of several minerals and metallic alloys to propel a projectile out of the barrel and down range towards the target. Though requiring a longer reload time than a trebuchet or rune cannon the mana gun can fire the projectile farther and with more force.

Physical Design

The barrel of the cannon consists of magnetus rolled and forged backwards upon itself to create a field of repelling forces within the barrel while the attractive side of the metal faces out. The average length of the barrel which determines the general accuracy of the gun is around 3 metres ((3 minecraft blocks of open barrel)) The pusher plate consists of a large dense core of magnetus with the repelling side fixed so that it faces down the barrel of the gun. ((1 mc block))

Behind this core of magnetus sits the combustion chamber, blocks of thanium are placed up against the back of the magnetus core. Directly behind the thanium and unobstructed from the thanium are several slots for heavy alloy boomsteel. This part of the barrel features a large door at the back which can be closed and sealed when reloading is complete and the cannon is ready to fire, ((1 mc block for combustion chamber of cannon)) The barrel and magnetus core are separated from each other by a steel ring surrounding the magnetus core. This allows the magnetus core and barrel to be deactivated via redstone safety individually rather than at the same time.

Metallic properties and combustion chamber processes explained

Throughout the many years the Westerlands R&D program has been running, several metals and minerals have been identified which contain unique properties that when combined together allow the cannon to function

Thanium

When a low steady level of heat is applied that is not too hot (( around 100 degrees))

Thanium transforms that heat directly into mana, when too much heat is applied at once ((upwards of 250)) a thanium explosion can occur as the thanium cannot handle the heat.

Magnetus

A fascinating metal magnetus expels a magnetic field which attracts metals such as ferrum but pushes away objects made of magnetus with force. The metal is constantly putting out the magnetic field except when redstone makes contact with the metal and in that case all magnetic qualities are halted until the redstone is removed. When mana is applied to the magnetus its magnetic power is almost doubled.

Boomsteel

This metal which is found in abundance in the westerlands is a volatile mineral that when mixed with other metals to become alloys can provide several unique properties. High density tier boomsteel. AKA heavy boomsteel is an alloy of boomsteel and a high density heavier material such as iron. Heavy boomsteel unlike its counterparts cannot catch alight, instead it can hold a vast amount of heat that can be given off slowly once activated. Charged in ways like friction, the metal will store as much heat as possible unable to explode like its counterparts. The metal will then hold onto that heat until it is subject to activation in the form of being heated such as fire or friction. Upon activation of the stable alloy it will dispel heat until depleted. At this point it will need to be charged. Sparks can be produced as well as embers but no flames from a heavy boomsteel alloy. It gives off a steady heat of roughly boiling temperature until depleted.

((100 degrees))

Combustion chamber process

The combustion chamber is at the back of the cannon located behind the magnetus core, It consists of an open area with several slots in layers one behind the other. The first layer directly behind core is where the thanium blocks are placed, behind that in the second layer is where the activated boomsteel is placed so that it may heat the thanium, the heated thanium then applies mana to the magnetus core doubling its power to launch a projectile. The heat given off by the heavy boomsteel will need to be replaced every 10 minutes ((every other shot)) by charged blocks. When depleted the boomsteel blocks can be recharged several times before they must be replaced. 

Loading And Launching

The process of loading and launching a projectile begins with applying the safety. A redstone block is applied to the magnetus core from the top of the cannon rendering it non magnetic. A projectile of magnetus molded with is repelling force outwards is loaded into barrel of the gun, suspended by the repelling forces of the magnetus the projectile is pushed to the back of the barrel against the core. Opening the rear door the thanium blocks are inserted into the combustion chamber. The operator then strikes the boomsteel against a striking panel along the gun activating the heat before placing them into the combustion chamber behind the thanium. The door is then closed. Once the thanium is heated and begins to give off mana it charges the magnetus core, when the core is charged the redstone is removed from the core and the mana imbued magnetus reactivates propelling the projectile down the barrel and out of the cannons towards the target.

Redlines

-Must be RPly crafted in order to be used during a siege or other Rp. What this means is that in order to obtain one for your castle walls or for your upcoming warclaim you must RPly gather/create the materials and construct the weapon.

-Requires an operating crew of four rather than three man team of the trebuchet. Emotes as follows,
Gunner #1 : [!] Activates the safety on the magnetus core opening the rear door and removing the depleted boomsteel blocks and thanium blocks.

Gunner #2 [!] Inserts the projectile down the barrel pushing it against the core with a ramrod.

Gunner #3 [!]Inserts the thanium blocks into the chamber before activating the boomsteel blocks on the striker strip of the cannon before inserting them into chamber and closing the door

Gunner #4 [!] Moves the cannons pitch and sweep to line up with the target, removing the safety thus firing the gun.

- The cannon requires a longer reload time but makes up for this in a longer range and more force than the trebuchet.

-Proper precautions must be taken while operating the device due to thanium poisoning. (Masks and thick gloves etc.)

-After operating the gun for an extended period of time the thanium in the gun will give you thanium sickness this includes: For non-mages, thanhium poisoning has the psychological effect of creating a rush of magical power. With normal poisoning this makes the non-mage dizzy or manic, but when the dust is injested the nonmage can go temporarily insane. It has been reported that with large quantities victims do actually wield unstable magic powers. With no training, they cannot control the powers and are usually only a danger to themselves. Use of these powers also seems to make the other effects more severe, especially the cooling and insanity effects. The sensation of weakness when the thanhium wears off often drives the victim to thanhium addiction. However the effects are much less likely to be lethal to non-mages, but instead, long term effects such as insanity and addiction are common.
 Extended consumption of thanhium causes chronic addiction, physical withering on a dramatic scale and complete and total insanity.  Of these, insanity sets in the fastest.

-The cannon must be after an engagement to prevent thanium residue buildup

CHANGELOG

-Changed several spelling/wording issues

-Added several redlines

Sounds lovely, use four people not five. But good read and did any other westerland guys help ya?

3 minutes ago, L0rdB0rd said:

Sounds lovely, use four people not five. But good read and did any other westerland guys help ya?

I thought about four and I might change it to four operators with five emotes, I want to hear what everyone thinks. And yes it was a team effort. 

2 minutes ago, joey calabreeni said:

maxresdefault.jpg

King Caius is shown a finished model of the Project 8900 Thanic Mana Cannon, circa 1610

This is what I thought about.

About the lore though, I give it a +1. Sounds nifty.

In terms of what you hope to accomplish you could also use this lore 

if you have some mages on hand. 

I may have missed it but what is the projectile?

31 minutes ago, Sir K Andruske said:

In terms of what you hope to accomplish you could also use this lore 

if you have some mages on hand. 

I may have missed it but what is the projectile?

It is magnetus projectile to further repellant forces once the main magnet is activated. Also Yea we looked at lore like that but one of the main things we wanted was a mage free device. Didn't want lack of a mage to prove it useless.

@Taketheshot Could you show this to the war team (the effects/how it works warclaim-wise) and have one of them PM me about it after they've given the a-okay? This would have to be cleared with the war team to be used in warclaims regardless, so it'd be better to get it out of the way.

Thanhium mana isn't simply mana. As far as I know, thaumium produces a twisted form of mana which poisons people just like cyanide does. Thanhium on the bloodstream can be deadly, so, when you heat the thanhium, it'll release mana no matter what, and this will stay in the air, staining the cannon which makes you need to be constantly clean it. I need confirmation, toilet matt dammon @cablam

37 minutes ago, Man of Respect said:

Thanhium mana isn't simply mana. As far as I know, thaumium produces a twisted form of mana which poisons people just like cyanide does. Thanhium on the bloodstream can be deadly, so, when you heat the thanhium, it'll release mana no matter what, and this will stay in the air, staining the cannon which makes you need to be constantly clean it. I need confirmation, toilet matt dammon @cablam

As far as I'm aware thanhium doesn't release mana when heated but instead stores it within itself like a tank of gas. Heat it up too much and it'll explode from too much mana. Also the poison effect from thanhium stems from it getting into you and sucking you of heat and mana. But I'm no lore team member so @ArcanicFable should probably confirm.

Thanhium takes in heat and produces mana. It explodes because it can't push enough mana out of its body and it overloads 

5 minutes ago, cablam said:

As far as I'm aware thanhium doesn't release mana when heated but instead stores it within itself like a tank of gas. Heat it up too much and it'll explode from too much mana. Also the poison effect from thanhium stems from it getting into you and sucking you of heat and mana. But I'm no lore team member so @ArcanicFable should probably confirm.

6 hours ago, Taketheshot said:

-Requires an operating crew of five rather than three man team of the trebuchet. Emotes as follows,

Gunner #1 : [!] Activates the safety on the magnetus core opening the rear door and removing the depleted boomsteel blocks

Gunner #2 [!] Inserts the projectile down the barrel pushing it against the core with a ramrod.

Gunner #3 [!]Activates the the boomsteel blocks on the striker strip of the cannon before inserting them into chamber and closing the door

Gunner #4 [!] Moves the cannons pitch and sweep to line up with the target

Gunner #5 [!] Removes the safety from the core activating the magnetus and firing the cannon,

- The cannon requires a longer reload time but makes up for this in a longer range and more force than the trebuchet

Just have one gunner do step 1 and 3. It sounds like sort of the same thing.

If people have concerns about balance or whatever, I've always believed that at the very least, we should allow alternatives like this as equivalent weapons. or better.