[✗] [AenguDaemon][Magic] Jicia - The Weeping Demon

Jicia - The Weeping Demon

The Lady of the Passage, and the Aengudaemon of Mortality

Lore by Combustionary

Raven-Queen-skull.jpg

(Image Sources Below)

Every crying babe shall screech their first, so begins the hour they lend.

As the sands slip down with time’s thirst, every breath must end.

The Mortal Truth

Once revered, if only in whispers, Jicia is the safekeeper of mortality itself. Her place is not within the mysteries of death and beyond, but merely the inevitability of it. Her duty is to protect the sanctity mortality. To deny those who would stave off fate through otherworldly means.

In ages past, her name was sacred to those whose lives were ruled by death. To the killers, who fancied themselves as her agents, and to the cowards, who believed in folly that flattery would cast away her gaze. If one knew her name, it was inseparable from his ponderance of fate.

In truth, the lives and the deaths of mundane men were of no concern to this deity. The killer’s target would one day die, by knife or no, and the coward’s prayers would fall on deaf ears. Should a man live to two, or to two-thousand - mortality takes him still. She does not revel in the act of dying, only in its place in the world.

It is with those who find ways undeserved, in the darkest lairs and brightest citadels, to escape fate itself that her ire is drawn. Those who would bind their bones to the world in undeath, or seal their wounds with the light of meddling gods. Yet, to simply wield those unnatural arts is no concern to her. Even the most vile, unholy of arts are beyond her wrath should the user's mortality be preserved.

Only the monks of the Triumvirate escape her hatred, for her duty ends with death, and the deities who determine what comes next - resurrection and otherwise, are beyond her regard.

The Tears of The Lady

Paladin.jpg

First came the Betrayer and his perversion of death. Followed closely after were Aerial, Tahariae, Setherian and Xan. All were the same. All mocked the Mortal Truth, turning that universal fear to their own ends.

The lady wept for this injustice. For her duty undone. She wept in hope that one day, her name would again be uttered. That her tears would inspire those wretched few who still revered her, and that through them she could one day right the wrongs of selfish gods.

In the first days, Jicia could only wait. The Betrayer's transgression was met by those of the Aenguls who opposed him. To intervene would be a hopeless affair, for her strength was meager compared to that of those who had cast their lot into the mortal realm, all she could do was wait. Iblees fell, but the victorious gods did not return to the skies.

She began her preparations. She gathered her strength, and watched as the lands of Asulon fell, and the world's men fled to Anthos. She came near to showing her hand, and empowering those few who still followed her, but the Black Scourge acted first. The world was once against drawn into a battle of gods, and as she had known before, she could not succeed against both sides of the conflict.

So again she waited, and again she prepared. Through the wars of Anthos, and through the resurgence of Iblees in Athera. The world would quiet, and complacency would take her enemies. Then, when the time was proper, she would cast down to her followers her meager gift.

Reviled by all who combat fate, the Tears of The Lady are the secretive few who would serve in her name. Enemy to blasphemers of both the light and the dark, they have but one goal - to end those who would deny death through otherworldly means.

With her gift, they fight holymen and undead alike, and they ask no reward. Truly, her following is not of noble men. Any action in her name is permitted, so long as the actor serves to further the Mortal Truth.

Among these few will always be one and one alone to whom Jicia’s bond is strongest, and only they are capable of her greatest feat - the creation of her Idol. Should this individual die or abandon Jicia, another of her followers will take his place.

The Lady’s Gift

Jicia’s gift is not of life. Her followers cherish their mortality and expect no hypocrisy. They know that their service will not avert her eye, when it one day sets upon them.

To her servants she bestows her gift only as the tool it may be. The tool to undo the crimes of unnatural health.

Unmending

The crowd watched in horror as the bandits fled from the coming guardsmen, leaving the innocent woman screaming and bleeding on the road. One heroic man spoke up, shouting for the crowd to step back. He was a Cleric! The day was not lost, after all - even the worst wound was but another day’s work for a noble servant of Tahariae.

Cheering, the bystanders watched the cleric’s work, and just minutes later, the wound was gone. The noble warrior had even cleaned her up! Had it not been for the blood on her shirt, nobody could even have told the source of the puddle on the ground.

After making sure the poor lass was fine, the Cleric helped her to a seat and departed, surely off to save the day elsewhere. Jubilant, the crowd approached her, eager to help in any way they could.

Two men in particular offered to help her get home. Tired and weak, the woman agreed in earnest. When she finally felt her strength return, they went to help her up, each taking an arm.

But a moment later, the woman screamed once more in pain, and the crowd could see why - a line of crimson appeared where the cleric had just finished, and within seconds flung open to a gush of blood. The two men dropped her arms and the crowd saw naught but panic and confusion on their faces as they backed away, calling for the cleric who was long gone while the woman’s screams faded into whimpers, and her whimpers into nothing.

The crowd soon dispersed, a silence hanging over the square. Of those two men, one had been true, and one had not.

The ability of Jicia’s servants is simple in nature - the unraveling of healing magicks. No matter the source, a deity’s light joins the wound it heals, and for a time, that light lingers.

By touch and touch alone, the servant of the Lady is able to send her power into his victim. Immediately it will take its course, working to unravel any of the healing magic binding its victim. Newly closed cuts will reopen, and long-healed ones will ache with great pain.

The extent of the effect is based on both the severity of the previous wound, and the time that has passed since its healing. A potentially fatal wound healed mere moments before would almost completely reopen, while one healed weeks before may only split into a small, painful cut.

Benefactors of her gift take it with a price, however, as hypocrisy is not tolerated. Those connected to Jicia’s power will not benefit from any otherworldly healing - that light will simply pass them by.

This gift, however, only effects the three clerical orders - those of Xan, Tahariae, and Aerial, despite her hatred of all magical forms of life-extension.

The Lady’s Idol

WeepingStat.jpg

In the Lady’s service will always be one to whom her bond is strongest. This individual possesses merely one capability that the others lack - the creation of the Lady’s Idol.

Only one may possess this ability at any given time, and only one Idol may exist at any given time. To create an Idol will cause whatever Idol may already exist to shatter, and an Idol may only be imbued after ten years have passed since the last.

The Idol is the conduit of Jicia’s tears. It is a statue, painstakingly carved by the deity’s champion, and blessed to weep.

For as long as Jicia’s champion lives, the statue will weep a clear, cold stream of water. In this water is her power the greatest, and from it come fleeting, yet intense, boons. While only one can create an Idol, all can benefit from its waters.

Should the champion die, or the statue be destroyed, it cannot be recreated again until ten years following its last imbuement.

From her tears spout three boons - The Baptism, The Blade, and The Embrace.

The Baptism is the connection of another follower to Jicia herself. Only in a pool at the base of the Idol is one able to be submerged in her tears, and should the heart be devoted, connected to her in truth. Any connected follower is, after growing their connection sufficiently, capable of carrying out a Baptism.

The Blade and the Embrace are fleeting abilities. Weapons and armor submerged in her tears, to carry with them her strength.

The Blade is the ability for one to plunge a weapon into this pool, and temporarily imbue it with the ability to create wounds that the gods’ lights have no effect on. Such wounds will still heal through mundane means, but magic will have no effect. This imbuement will last roughly two months, less if the weapon is used often.

The Embrace is a much shorter boon, but a much stronger one. Lasting mere minutes, any armor or clothing wet with the waters will provide resistance to the holy attacks of holy men. Weapons of light, from misty blades to projectiles, will find no effect on the servant of Jicia, so long as he is doused in her tears. This boon is only effective in direct proximity to the Idol - It is a last resort defensive ability.

((OOC Section Below))

Red Lines

Only wounds unravelled soon after being healed will completely reopen - this vulnerability lasts roughly one IRL day. Anytime after, and it will just result in a small wound, and intense pain at the site of the healing.

Usage of Unmending is done only via skin-to-skin contact. However, due to this limitation, it is very discrete and a user requires but a couple of seconds of contact.

A weapon blessed by Jicia’s tears will keep its boon for roughly two IRL days. In this time, wounds caused by it will be unable to be healed through healing magic (though regular medicine and other mundane means will still work). Other wounds by non-blessed weapons, even when a blessed wound is present, will be healable normally.

The boon ‘The Embrace’ only works in direct proximity to the Idol. It will function only within what equates to roughly twenty MC blocks from the statue. In addition, it only protects from purely holy attacks - mundane weapons, even if blessed by another patron, will function as normal.

Water taken from The Idol will have no effect once it has left the same direct proximity of the statue (roughly 20 MC Blocks).

Jicia’s magic currently works only against the magicks of Xan, Tahariae, and Aerial, despite her alignment against any magical method of healing. Effects against the magicks of other deities/magicks will require a lore addition.

Jicia’s ‘champion’ has no greater strength of magic than any other follower can achieve over time, merely the ability to create an Idol. Should the champion be PKed, whichever LT oversees the Aengudaemon will select his successor.

All created Idols must have LT supervision, to properly enforce the 10-year (IRL Week) rule.

Image Sources

(In Order of Appearance)

http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/bungalow-tales/images/c/cb/Raven-Queen-skull.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20150710132203

https://krypt0nian.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/zire.jpg

http://static.panoramio.com/photos/large/8096010.jpg

Changelog

4/11 3:30 PM - Slight changes to Introduction and Tears of The Lady, to clarify purpose and boundaries.

+1, I'm pretty interested in this dope healing magic

To be honest this magic is good since  its like "I went to monks, got healed, all good" or "Any cleric heal me with little cost to the cleric"

Hey, this is cool and I really like it. You wrote well and I mean that. But, there is one thing.

13 hours ago, Aelu / Rel (Combustionary) said:

Once revered, if only in whispers, Jicia is the safekeeper of mortality itself. Her place is not within the mysteries of death and beyond, but merely the inevitability of it. Her duty is to protect the sanctity mortality. To deny those who would stave off fate through otherworldly means.

In ages past, her name was sacred to those whose lives were ruled by death. To the killers, who fancied themselves as her agents, and to the cowards, who believed in folly that flattery would cast away her gaze. If one knew her name, it was inseparable from his ponderance of fate.

In truth, the lives and the deaths of mundane men were of no concern to this deity. The killer’s target would one day die, by knife or no, and the coward’s prayers would fall on deaf ears. Should a man live to two, or to two-thousand - mortality takes him still.

It is with those who find ways undeserved, in the darkest lairs and brightest citadels, to escape fate itself that her ire is drawn. Those who would bind their bones to the world in undeath, or seal their wounds with the light of meddling gods.

Only the monks of the Triumvirate escape her hatred, for her duty ends with death, and the deities who determine what comes next - resurrection and otherwise, are beyond her regard.

Most of what you described here is already seen, more or less, in an interpretation and IC history of Nemiisae (Druidic version, not spooky ooky cave elf one- Same god, different worship and interpretation), if not her actual personality in lore according to some people. Do you think they'd conflict?

4 hours ago, TheCritsyBear said:

Hey, this is cool and I really like it. You wrote well and I mean that. But, there is one thing.

Most of what you described here is already seen, more or less, in an interpretation and IC history of Nemiisae (Druidic version, not spooky ooky cave elf one- Same god, different worship and interpretation), if not her actual personality in lore according to some people. Do you think they'd conflict?

That was one thing I did try to avoid, though I only have the official Nemiisae lore to go off of as I'm not particularly versed in any IC interpretations. There are three main reasons that I do think that these two won't conflict, though.

I used Benbo's thread as my basis on her lore, to make sure to reduce redundancy.

1 - Nemiisae's actions and representations (at least, according to the lore) often venture into darker variations of life. A quote from her lore - "She is the matron of the night and dark desires" and while she does have an affinity for death, as far as I can tell in her lore, she has no domain over it. Unfortunately, it's rather vague. What I took from the lore is that she's more or less a catch-all for the spookier parts of nature.

2 - Jicia's purpose is much more narrow in scope - the preservation of mortality. Her alignment is not against the unnatural in general, merely unnatural extension of life. While her magic is only effective against the 'big three' holy aenguls, she is explicitly against the undead, and her followers would likely find themselves at odds with all manner of people (Druids, Archons, etc). She exists solely to preserve mortality - what happens to those mortals is meaningless to it. I might reword it in the lore, but in the section you quoted, I simply said that people would consider themselves to be working for her, when in reality she didn't care about them in the slightest.

3 - At the end of the day, Nemiisae (as far as written lore goes) is rather hard to pin down as the Aengul of "____". Her lore itself calls her the 'Shadow of Death', rather than Death itself. She has her own things, and unfortunately I had to use the information I had to make as clear a distinction as I could. If the three clerical deities can co-exist, each with their own orders, I can only hope that the concept of a deity of mortality can co-exist with one of the three druidic patrons.

That said, if there's a more specific Nemiisae lore piece that could clear things up, and help me to make that distinction, please let me know! Thank you for the feedback.

58 minutes ago, Aelu / Rel (Combustionary) said:

That was one thing I did try to avoid, though I only have the official Nemiisae lore to go off of as I'm not particularly versed in any IC interpretations. There are three main reasons that I do think that these two won't conflict, though.

I used Benbo's thread as my basis on her lore, to make sure to reduce redundancy.

1 - Nemiisae's actions and representations (at least, according to the lore) often venture into darker variations of life. A quote from her lore - "She is the matron of the night and dark desires" and while she does have an affinity for death, as far as I can tell in her lore, she has no domain over it. Unfortunately, it's rather vague. What I took from the lore is that she's more or less a catch-all for the spookier parts of nature.

2 - Jicia's purpose is much more narrow in scope - the preservation of mortality. Her alignment is not against the unnatural in general, merely unnatural extension of life. While her magic is only effective against the 'big three' holy aenguls, she is explicitly against the undead, and her followers would likely find themselves at odds with all manner of people (Druids, Archons, etc). She exists solely to preserve mortality - what happens to those mortals is meaningless to it. I might reword it in the lore, but in the section you quoted, I simply said that people would consider themselves to be working for her, when in reality she didn't care about them in the slightest.

3 - At the end of the day, Nemiisae (as far as written lore goes) is rather hard to pin down as the Aengul of "____". Her lore itself calls her the 'Shadow of Death', rather than Death itself. She has her own things, and unfortunately I had to use the information I had to make as clear a distinction as I could. If the three clerical deities can co-exist, each with their own orders, I can only hope that the concept of a deity of mortality can co-exist with one of the three druidic patrons.

That said, if there's a more specific Nemiisae lore piece that could clear things up, and help me to make that distinction, please let me know! Thank you for the feedback.

Now that, right there, is a good retort.

I don't have any time to actually make a big response right now, but you made good points anyway and I can't really argue them well.

I respect this dude.

The primary idea I fear is that this would disrupt pre-existing spooky cults respecting Nemiisae who believe she is the one responsible in maintaining the eventual death of all things, hates undead, and to a lesser extent unnatural healing. Her indifference to how something dies, indifference to even murder enacted in her name. Her whispered worship. You get the picture. But that's just an IC thing that would be confusing, not really an OOC conflict.

Oh also not the murdercults to Nemiisae. The less successful, less popular ones.

I'm sleepy.

Thank you for submitting your piece! Unfortunately, this has been denied. Issues that were brought up were that this ignores other methods of healing and solely focuses on holy magics when the Daemon, if it actually was revolving around mortality, should be focusing on undead and other such creatures as well. In addition, once a caster stops casting, their energy doesn't linger around for a time on the person so it doesn't make much sense for the caster here to be able to focus on that.

This Lore has been denied. Topic moved to Denied Lore forum.