[✓] [Frost Witch Addition] Cursed Ice & The Witch's Altar

meg

9b33b1a87039188e6b9d17576651dbf0.jpg

http://conceptartworld.com/artists/rasmus-berggreen/

-=~=- A warning made from threads of ice -=~=-

In a land far away from yours, over frozen seas and snowy peaks and alpine forests vast, once was a kingdom whose King was the last in an ancient line of Kings who wore the same crown before him. They were an old bunch; a bloodline founded by conquerors who took the Taiga by the right of steel, and for generations they had not let go despite the enemies that surrounded them.

To the south were the wildfolk, men and women of furs and forests who refused to fight for the ill-won crown, and who for millenia had kneeled to no man and never would, for a scourge was creeping from the north of the Taiga like frost upon the grass, and it knew not Man. When freezing souls looked Northward all they saw was a vast, glassy desert of arsenic white, but wise men knew that beyond the hills and glaciers laid gnashing teeth and tongues that lusted not for sins of the flesh but for its sweetness.

-=~=- Bloody and raw in all its parts -=~=-

It was thoughts of this Scourge that consumed the King’s idle hours, tossing and turning late into the night. He trained his soldiers from dawn to dusk in constant preparation of a foe they knew would arrive one day: but not when, where, or how. He took frequents walks in the Taiga, his wife with child left behind in the frozen walls of his castle to wait out her days until the baby came. It did, however, come eventually, as both life and death do, and the baby was born upon a morning graced by a particularly wintry chill. Prayers went to the gods and fae of the lands that the child would be born a prince, a strong boy who would grow and combat the coming Ice. But prayers oft go unheard, and when it came time for the King to attend to his wife’s side, his Daughter entered the world just as she would leave it: bloody and screaming.

The Princess grew and blossomed quite like the winter-roses of the Taiga, until she held herself in pace and posture with the grace and solemn beauty of one of the pine forest’s dryads. She was, however, warm and kind: ironic considering the cold and frigid land she was born in. Trusting and carefree, yet not a single bachelor of the frozen wastes dared to make a claim for her heart for fear of the King’s wrath come upon them like an avalanche. One did not care much for the Father’s might, though: a rake by nature, who took hearts and innocence as easily as children pluck thistles from the snowy fields. The Rake and the Princess grew close with one another, whispered words and held hands tying a knot of silken twine between the two until the fateful night came that he took her childhood in his stride, and then he was gone when morning came.

-=~=- Now listen close, it won’t come twice -=~=-

The Princess, abandoned and bereft, took to the Taiga and fled into the heart of the forests. Leaves and columbine parted way, clearing a path for her and urging the weeping girl deeper into the wood. The trees grew tall and the shadows loomed, and becking voices drifted upon the frigid wind. The girl’s journey ended at a frozen pond where frosted leaves drifted slowly from the trees, time nearly stopped in the winter glade. Stood within its center, not a single crack marking her steps across the pond’s surface, was a woman who quite reminded the Princess of a wolf: wrapped in furs, teeth bared, a predatory fire in her eyes that almost seemed to gleam off of her icy, mirror-like skin. “Stop the tears, child of mine,” came her voice that sounded like both a howl and a mother’s call, “for you are home at last and shattered hearts will not do.”

Made whole again, the castle’s guards found the lost Princess wandering through a blizzard that roared and blistered, all but blinding any standing within it. They ushered her inside, not a single thought spent wondering how she had found her way home through the snow, or how she was still alive with skin so blue and frostbitten. Nevertheless, they hurriedly dressed her in furs and brought her to her Father’s hall. The doors shut behind the girl and all fell quiet through the castle. Silence came over the frozen palace like a sickness, broken only in a few minutes’ time by what the castle guard conjectured was furniture being moved: heavy masses, screeching and sliding along the hall floors behind the door. One opened it, and all looked inside.

-=~=- The wolves will eat all broken hearts -=~=-

Where they expected to see a reunited family, they only saw a carpet of blood and a princess kneeling over the forms of her king and queen, mother and father. They watched in stunned silence, the horror having taken breath from their lungs, making the sounds of the grisly feast all the louder in their minds. She hadn’t eaten all of them, though, as her mother still remained mostly whole, and what was once her daughter now dragged her body across the gore-slicked floor, adjusting the cadavers’ limbs and position with a meticulous obsession befitting a mathematician at the crux of their life’s work. Her murmurings, audible between swallows of flesh were nonsense, growls and whispers in an incomprehensible tongue. One guard spewed his supper upon the stone and the noise caused the stained Princess to look their way, teeth bared and dripping with her own meal’s excess. Whispers came upon the wind that howled through the palace gates, and a scream echoed across the barren Taiga. The Kingdom’s eternal question had an answer, and the Scourge would come from within, with the construction of the first Altar.

The Witch's Altar

The creation of a ‘Seed’ of Cursed Ice is a relatively simple process for a Witch Mother. After a few hours of weaving her magic into the ice, and compressing it into itself, a small bit the size of a sunflower seed will be all that is required to plant and begin to cultivate and ‘grow’ a structure known as ‘The Witch’s Altar.’

The ‘construction’ of a Witch’s Altar begins when either one Witch Mother and five Witches, or two Witch mothers and three witches convene to plant a small chunk of Cursed Ice, generally dubbed the ‘Seed.’ Altars are usually placed in a room in the lowest part of a Coven’s Den, as they have no requirements for growth other than a cold environment. In order to ‘Plant’ the seed, the Witches must enact a ritual involving restraining a man to the ground where they wish the Altar to grow from, and insert the seed into his stomach. From there, if uninterrupted, the seed will slowly drain the man’s life-force and begin to germinate, creating more cursed ice around itself, encasing the bones of the man. A Witch’s Altar has a strict progression rate, and will, over time, develop into five unique ‘Tiers’

Seed Stage: At this point, the seed has been implanted into the body of the man, and will slowly drain him until his death from its actions, his wound, or hypothermia. Once the man has died, the seed will begin to grow and expand out from his corpse, creating stalk-like protrusions of cursed ice. It will take 3 days for it to reach tier 1.

Tier 1

Spoiler

At this stage, the Altar is nothing more than a few sprouts of cursed ice jutting out from the corpse of the man. If the corpse is removed or disturbed, or if the protrusions are broken or otherwise destroyed, the Altar will fail in its construction and the process must be repeated. No Sabbaths may be performed at this time, and if any Cursed Ice is taken from the Altar, it will significantly hinder the growth, or even cause it to fail entirely. After one week, the Altar reaches tier 2.

Tier 2

Spoiler

At this point, the Altar has begun to take shape. The entirely of the man’s flesh and innards will be gone, leaving only bones and discolorations in the Altar. The Altar would be no more than a foot tall, and appear to be a small sapling-like structure. At this stage, if large portions of the Altar are broken or otherwise destroyed, the Altar will fail in its construction. Sabbaths may not be performed at this time, and only minor amounts of Cursed Ice may be taken from it at a time, no larger than a golf-ball at maximum, although this is generally ill-advised as it inhibits growth. After one week, the Altar reaches tier 3.

Tier 3

Spoiler

If properly kept and tended to, at tier 3 the Altar would be a medium sized ‘tree’ of cursed ice, appearing jagged and misshapen, lengthy ‘branches’ and protrusions extending in all directions. The final shape of the Altar depends upon the Coven tending to it, and the space it is placed in. At this stage, it becomes impossible for the Altar to be burnt by natural fire or heat, and may only be ‘melted’ by flames of the holy variety. It is difficult now to destroy through conventional means, being well rooted and of above-average size. Fledgling Sabbaths may be performed at this stage. Larger bits of cursed ice may be removed as well, no larger than a soft-ball at one time, however. After one week, the Altar reaches tier 4.

Tier 4

Spoiler

The Altar would reach a complete shape at this tier, varying in height depending on the room but large enough to be noticeable and imposing. Once again, the shape is dependant upon the Coven tending to it, so options are varied, however it cannot be impossibly large at this tier and generally will not reach far out of its room. If the Altar is placed beneath or above particularly thin walls or ceilings, a Witch might notice its roots peeking through the ground or ceiling, however these may be trimmed and re-directed if desired. The Altar is very difficult to destroy at this point, resisting the blow of conventional weapons and outright repelling the heat of conventional flames. It is even partially protected against the heat of holy flames, seeking to reconstruct itself and repel the attack, although it may still be destroyed with enough time. Witch’s Sabbaths may be performed at this stage, and larger chunks of cursed ice may be taken from it, no larger than a basketball in size. After two weeks, the Altar reaches tier 5.

Tier 5

Spoiler

This is the penultimate stage of the Altar, and it is immediately obvious when it reaches this stage. The Altar will have grown to a colossal size, practically entirely taking up whatever room it was situated in, and will have even take on obvious features, such as an indented and flattened space, similar to an actual altar. Buried within the Altar will be its finalized core, a condensed chunk of cursed ice radiating impossibly cold temperatures and an aura of unease, occasionally one can hear in its crackling the voices or murmurs of any sacrificed to aid in its growth or creation. Any non-Witch in the presence of the Altar will feel a sense an obvious presence, as if the curse was alive and with them. Depending on the relative will of the non-witch in the presence, their reaction may vary. If they can somehow survive the sub-zero temperatures, one might find themselves instinctively drawn to throw themselves upon the icy spikes of the Altar, to become one with it. Those of a particularly pious and staunch will may feel the evil of its existence, and resist any ill effects it attempts to inflict upon them. Others of the undead or unnatural variety may feel nothing at all, bar an ominous and imposing presence. It is entirely dependent upon the character and their relative mental state/force of will. It is almost impossible to destroy the Altar at this stage, as it requires one to break through the layers of cursed ice to reach the core, remove it, and then purge it. If left completely unattended, a group of aspiring saviors might find themselves an arduous and timely, but not wholly impossible task. This is not the case. Just as the curse contains a sense of self-preservation, so too does the Altar. At tier 5 it is capable of animating the ice around it into contorted monstrosities of ice that will relentlessly assault any who attempt to harm it. Any Witch who has spent time near the Altar would be instinctively called to it upon it being brought to harm, allowing for the defense of the fruits of their time-consuming labor. The Altar at this stage can perform Mother’s Sabbaths, and allows large amounts of cursed ice to be taken from it at any time. If the Altar reaches this stage and, for whatever reason, the Witch’s find they must abandon their home and Altar, the ‘Core’ may be removed and transported. It must be re-planted using the original method, however it will quickly grow back to Tier 4 once it is re-planted this way.

In order to speed up the process of Growth, the Witches may repeatedly perform the ‘Sabbath of Germination’ on the Altar, at any stage except for tier 5. This Sabbath functions similarly to the original planting of the seed, and involves the placement of 2 unconsumed male corpses, and one freshly sacrificed male upon the altar. (If a bite or two was taken out to kill the man, that is acceptable, but these cannot be leftovers from dinner.) The Altar will then integrate and absorb the corpses, speeding up its process of growth, reducing the current timer by 4 days. This Sabbath may only be performed once at tier 1,2 and 3, and up to twice at tier 4. Performing the Sabbath at tier 5 will accomplish little, except perhaps speeding up the process of repair and regrowth if it was damaged or large chunks of cursed ice were removed.

-There are strict limits on the usage and time-frame of the growth of an Altar, and a sign must be kept and updated punctually to determine its growth and cycle.

-There will generally only be one Altar per coven, as having more than one Altar in a small space will cause them to compete for growth and movement.

- While resistant to Holy Fire at tiers 4 & 5, it is not completely immune. The same goes for if someone managed to summon extreme temperatures of regular fire. It would not immediately destroy it, but begin to melt it somewhat. The functional durability of the Altar is proportional to the time and effort put into keeping it alive and growing. It should be almost impossible to destroy at tier 5 without great effort due to it having been tended to for more than a month, depending on the Sabbaths performed.

-If any cursed ice is removed at the lower stages, it WILL affect the growth cycle, or even kill it outright. Removal of cursed ice should be documented.

-The Creatures summoned by the Altar at tier 5 may vary in shape and size depending on time allotted to summon them, however they will be entirely controlled by the Altar and without any free will of their own. Being made of regular ice, they are susceptible to fire and normal weaponry. The creatures act only as a time-buying function for when there are not enough Witches present to adequately defend the Altar. Once enough Witches are present, (equal, more, or 1 less than the number of raiders present) the creatures will dissipate.

-The paranoia and mania induced by the presence of the t5 Altar is a rolling system as such: Non-Witch player rolls 1d100, 1-20: While unnerved by the presence of the Altar, their will is strong: Nothing happens. 21-31: The Altar’s corrupting presence worms its way into the mind of the observer, manifesting a hallucination of one of their greatest fears. 32-60: The Altar instills a progressively more ravenous desire for human male flesh, similar to that which a Witch feels. This will last until they consume a large quantity, or exit the vicinity of the Altar. Roll 1d20, 1-5: The character’s feelings on the Altar remains unchanged. 6-15: The character feels a deep and compelling fear of the Altar, making it difficult for them to harm it. 16-20: The character would feel a reverent and compelling desire to protect the Altar, continuing for as long as they remain in its presence or if the Altar’s influence is dispelled through the usage of Holy or Mind-Affecting magics. 61-71: The presence of a loved one is immediately apparent, urging the character to cease any attempted harm against the Altar, if such actions occur. 71-90: The Altar’s presence is foreboding and imposing, a heavy sense of dread and fear weighing on the mind of the character. 91-99: The Altar’s presence is too much to bear, compelling the character to attempt to flee in fear. 100: The Altar’s presence overcomes the weak will of the character, compelling them to throw themselves onto it as a sacrifice. This does not count as a PK if successful. Alterations to the rolling system, such as re-rolls or adjustments to current rolls are allowed, depending on the circumstances and characters involved. Should a player wish to opt out of the rolling system, another suitable RP reaction may be enacted, so long as, in context, their character does not respond at all to such an imposing presence. 

pSkfoNp.jpg

Example of creature summoned by altar ((Skyrim Screenshot))

sgfSrfu.jpg

An Altar functioning as the pillar of a room. ((Final Fantasy Concept Art))

Between the screams and shifting of ice and snow, I could barely hear anything the Captain was saying. My fingers curled tightly over the hilt of my longsword, covered with ethereal, crackling flames. We prepared for this. We managed to get the jump on them. The fledglings fell quickly beneath our swipes. Our formation was not broken. I could feel the hairs standing up on the back of my neck, however, between the layers of furs and armor. I couldn’t shake the sensation of icy fingertips upon my face, frozen lips upon my ears. The whispering, Gods, the whispering would not stop. The door to the hallway opened up, and I knew why my breath was hitched in my throat. There the Mother stood, elbow-deep in the corpse of a young man. She didn’t even seem to notice us. No, no, she didn’t care. Surrounding her was a colossal structure, I wanted to say it was made of ice, but it was clear upon first glance that was not the case. Darkened spikes and jagged edges covered its surface, and as we took a step closer to it my bones were instantly chilled. I could feel her arms around my waist. I loosed my grip on my blade, standing slack-jawed in the presence of it. Obvious bones and consumed bits of cloth and flesh were entombed in the mass, creating patterns of woven ice and free marrow. My blade fell from my hands. Formation was broken as the unworthy before me ran to embrace the Altar. The leader of the invaders shouted something, before he and his loyalists were cut down and devoured, as the very ice around the Altar came alive and assaulted them. I was safe, I knew, I was safe because I was chosen. I could hear the whispers in my ear telling me such. I was safe.

Properties of Cursed Ice

Cursed Ice is a type of permanent ice woven with the magic of a Fjarriauga curse. It can be created in small amounts by a Witch Mother, however this process is inefficient and draining. The most effective way to get cursed ice is to remove it from an Altar, as it grows naturally from it. Cursed Ice is generally non-malleable, except during a Sabbath or in the direct presence of the Altar, which allows Witches to remove pieces of it from the Altar. Even then, it is very slow to shift and move, wishing to retain its rigid shape. Cursed ice emits a naturally chilling aura, in larger quantities even beginning to freeze and frost the direct area around it. Cursed Ice is resistant to natural heat, and can generally only be melted by Holy Fire, but will, in turn, squelch it if the quantity of Cursed Ice is large enough. Holy or Deity based light will act upon it like the sun acts upon regular ice, generally weakening its magical properties and beginning to melt it over time. Smaller quantities of Cursed Ice are easily melted or crushed, however.

-Cannot be manipulated by a Witch unless in the presence of an Altar or during a Sabbath.

-Cannot be made except in small quantities by a Mother, or taken from an Altar.

-Smaller quantities are destroyed easily with natural fire or force.

-Larger quantities are resistant to natural fire and force but susceptible to holy deity-based fire and magics.

-Exudes an aura of cold, unless otherwise altered by a Sabbath.

-The Relative strength, durability, resistance, and density of the ice is dependent on the condensed quantity of it. With large quantities such as the Altar (tier 4/5) being extremely difficult to burn or break, medium-quantities such as small weapons and chunks infused into weapons and armor being moderately resistant to normal fire and force (but still weak to holy magics), and small amounts being broken or melted easily.

-Cursed Ice will only 'protect' itself from flame and force, offering no passive resistances to the Witch utilizing it unless inlaid in armor through the Sabbath of Forging. 

Sabbaths

A Sabbath is a ritualistic event enacted by any number of Witches in the presence of an Altar. They are only possible through an established Altar, and the ability to perform certain ones depends on the tier of the Altar. They generally require focus and time, and depending on the tier may be draining. Sabbaths are varied and new ones may be discovered or created, so long as they remain within the confines of what the magic can do. There are three types of Sabbaths:

Fledgling’s Sabbath: (Altar tier 3, 4 and 5) These Sabbaths are relatively simple occurrences, often involving minor tasks and simple enchantments. They are not very strenuous or complex, and can be repeated without issue.

Spoiler

Sabbath of Infusion

This Sabbath allows a Witch to infuse a minor act of their magic into a bit of cursed ice. This bit of cursed ice may then be ‘socketed’ or woven into an item. A bit of cursed ice infused with the ice-summoning portion of a Witch’s magic may be socketed into a weapon or piece of armor to protect it from the damaging effects of mild cold. If socketed into a piece of jewelry or cloth, may numb the effects of mild cold for the wearer for a non-witch. In the hands of a witch, the piece of jewelry may allow the Witch to easily summon one simple ice shape. (Example, a ring that makes it easier for them to summon a singular spike of ice with specific limitations in shape.)

If the bit of cursed ice is woven or socketed into a piece of clothing, and infused with the disguising aspect of a Witch’s magic, it may allow the piece of clothing to shift between two pre-set appearances. This cannot drastically change the shape, size, density, or material of the clothing. This would be a simple enchantment, activated when pressure is put upon the bit of cursed ice woven into the cloth, due to its simplicity, this may be utilized by a non-witch. (Example, a pair of gloves that change color or patterns. Or, it changes the length of the sleeves of a shirt.)

Permanent effects such as the protection against the elements would be ‘on’ at all points, however the activation of others would require either A. Pressure be put upon the bit of ice if utilized by a non-witch, or B. The Witch activates her magic with the assistance of the ice.

-Infusions of this level can last for 2-3~ weeks without needing to be recharged, depending on usage. Recharging requires either that the item be brought in the presence of an Altar of tier 3 or above, or it must be manually recharged by a Witch, which is a very draining event.

-Destruction or damage to the piece of cursed ice will destroy the enchantment.

-Simple enchantments such as these may be utilized by a non-witch, HOWEVER, it does not allow them to perform functions that require the Witch’s magic. For example, summoning ice or changing shape. Disguise enchantments require that two rigid and defined pre-sets are established and utilized.

-Infusions are limited only to properties associated with a Witch’s Magic. I.E. Anything related to Ice/Disguising. Examples of this: Keeping things cold, protecting from cold, freezing effects, chilling effects, minor changes in appearance, etc. Anything that actually utilizes the magic: Summoning ice/snow. Disguising one’s form. Is only usable by a Witch.

Sabbath of Mending

Due to their ‘frozen’ nature, a Witch’s natural healing process is stunted, preventing them from recovering from damage to their form in a timely and reasonable manner. It is common practice for a Witch to seal up and large cuts or gashes with ice, and simply leave as is, due to the unreasonable amount of time it takes for it to heal naturally. This Sabbath, however, allows a Witch to heal small scrapes, cuts, bruises and other minor injuries. The Sabbath functions by fusing the ice permanently with their flesh, healing it entirely. It will however, for cuts and scrapes, generally leave a scar in the form of discolored flesh, appearing white or clear, and icy.

-Can heal small wounds ONLY.

-Will always leave a ‘scar’ in the form of discolored skin. Can be white, clear, or ice-like in appearance, depending on the Witch.

Witch’s Sabbaths: (Tier 4 and 5) These Sabbaths function as the standard for the Witches of a coven, and while they are more time consuming to enact, are still commonplace within an active Coven.

Spoiler

Sabbath of Cursed Things

Functionally, an improved version of the Sabbath of Infusion. At the cost of requiring larger chunks of cursed ice to be socketed or woven into the item. When infused with an aspect of the Witch’s Ice magic, the chunk of cursed ice socketed into a weapon or armor will naturally protect it from harsher cold temperatures. An enchantment on a piece of jewelry or other item utilized by a Witch may allow them to easily summon a larger solid shape of ice with the assistance of the cursed ice. A specific enchantment on a weapon may cause, when activated by a Witch (1 emote), the weapon to exude a biting chill upon contact with flesh. A bit of cursed ice infused with the aspect of disguise allows for up to 3 ‘pre-sets’ for slightly larger alterations. A smaller article of clothing may be changed completely as the Witch desires, as well.

-Infusions of this level can last for 2~ weeks without needing to be recharged, depending on usage. Recharging requires either that the item be brought in the presence of an Altar of tier 3 or above, or it must be manually recharged by a Witch, which is a very draining event.

-Destruction or damage to the piece of cursed ice will destroy the enchantment.

-Some enchantments in this tier may be utilized by a non-witch, HOWEVER, it does not allow them to perform functions that require the Witch’s magic. For example, summoning ice or changing shape. Disguise enchantments utilized by a non-witch require that up to three rigid and defined pre-sets are established and utilized. Disguise enchantments utilized by a witch cannot change the rigidity or density of the article of clothing, and as such cannot turn cloth to leather, chain, metal, but can turn leather to leather, etc.

-A Witch’s control over the shape and function of the clothing is not completely instantaneous nor is it active. They must consider what it will look like in their mind, and then activate it, and thus cannot control the movement of the clothing, etc.

-Infusions are limited only to properties associated with a Witch’s Magic. I.E. Anything related to Ice/Disguising. Examples of this: Keeping things cold, protecting from cold, freezing effects, chilling effects, minor changes in appearance, etc. Anything that actually utilizes the magic: Summoning ice/snow. Disguising one’s form. Is only usable by a Witch.

Sabbath of Restoration

A greatly improved version of the Sabbath of Mending. Allows for the repair of broken bones and torn muscles, the closing of larger wounds and even the replacement of lost toes, fingers, teeth, tongues, and ears. This Sabbath first requires an offering of flesh to the Altar before it may be performed, must have been harvested within the past week. If it is used to replace teeth, a specific offering of bones or teeth must be given to the Altar. If it is used to replace a tongue, it requires the offering of muscle tissue, preferably another tongue.

-Will, once again, always leave a scar in terms of discolored skin, up to the discretion of the Witch.

-Mended bones and muscle require rest after the Sabbath is performed.

-Any replaced fingers or toes will be non-functional for 3 hours, and be entirely discolored in comparison to the rest of their hand.

Sabbath of Detoxification

Functionally, a variation of the Sabbath of Restoration. Due to a Witch’s slower metabolism and lack of fully functional self-healing, poisons and afflictions can be difficult for a Witch to purge internally, even though they take longer to go into full effect. This Sabbath requires the Witch shave bits of cursed ice off of the Altar, melt them fully in a mixture of blood and flesh, and ingest it. For the next 24 hours, the Witch must remain in the direct vicinity of the Altar for this Sabbath to work. This will purge any harmful toxins, poisons, or other ill effects from alchemical or magical sources. If the poison has had time to take hold, the Witch may be required to remain in the Altar’s presence for up to 3 days.

-If the Witch exits the presence of the Altar, the Sabbath will no longer have any effect, and the poison or toxin will take its course.

-If the Sabbath is performed early in the stages of the poison, it will only take 24 hours to be purged from the Witch’s system, otherwise, it may take up to three days.

-This will not mend any ill effects such as boils, lesions, whelts, or the like, unless it is explicitly going to kill the Witch. It will only purge the toxin or poison from the Witch.

Mother’s Sabbaths:(Tier 5 Only) These Sabbaths are generally rarely used due to their considerable time, resource, and energy requirement. They are otherwise incredibly powerful in their abilities and functions. Sabbaths of this tier may not even be attempted unless the Witches or Witch Mother attempting to partake in the Sabbath offer the Altar a mixture of flesh and bones. These Sabbaths are not required to be enacted by a Witch Mother, but a Mother must at least be present to oversee them.

Spoiler

Sabbath of Forging & Sabbath of Weaving

Different than the Sabbath of Infusion or Cursing in its function, but not in its purpose. Weapons, armor, and the rare trinkets made with this Sabbath are incredibly potent, and are very rarely utilized by a non-witch due to their nature. To begin this Sabbath, the Witches must first offer the Altar a part of a corpse or bit of flesh relevant to the object they wish to create. For example, if they wanted to create a weapon, a hand would suffice, or an organ they would pierce with the weapon, armor requires skin, or muscles or bones of the shoulder, etc. Once the offering is accepted, the Witch may then take the chunk of cursed ice and either forge a complete weapon out of it, or attach it as the blade or head to a metal hilt. A weapon made of cursed ice will, in its dormant state, radiate a small amount of cold and generally be blunted, if it normally functions as a sharp bladed weapon. A Witch must then ‘activate’ it, (1-2 emotes depending on the size/situation). Upon activation, the blade will regain its sharpness, and the cursed ice will emit a freezing aura, allowing a Witch to summon ice and snow in the area around it, or directly from it, easily. The area around wounds inflicted by the weapon will begin to freeze and crack, becoming brittle and frostbitten. Like all cursed ice, it is resistant to regular heat and force, but harmed by holy light and fire. If enough of the weapon is broken or damaged, the effects of the Sabbath will dissipate and it will act as a normal chunk of cursed ice. A layer of cursed ice may inlaid over a piece of armor to protect it from extreme temperatures, and allowing the Witch to summon ice easier in its vicinity.The Sabbath of Weaving allows a Witch to infuse an entire set of clothing with cursed ice, requiring only that a small button of cursed ice be placed somewhere on it to keep the magic functioning. This allows the witch to change the shape and appearance of their entire set of clothing. This Sabbath requires an offering of cloth taken from the bodies of any victim.

-Significant destruction or damage to the cursed ice will nullify the infusion.

-Due to its rigidity and weight, Cursed Ice may not be forged into a full suit of purely cursed ice armor. A weapon forged with the Sabbath will have the relative durable qualities of Steel.

-The ‘activation’ of an item forged may only be done by a Witch.

-Disguise enchantments utilized by a witch cannot change the rigidity or density of the article of clothing, and as such cannot turn cloth to leather, chain, metal, but can turn leather to leather, etc.

-A Witch’s control over the shape and function of the clothing is not completely instantaneous nor is it active. They must consider what it will look like in their mind, and then activate it, and thus cannot control the movement of the clothing, etc.

-While it is not required to make an MART for items created using this Sabbath, as long as they stay within the confines of the lore/this lore it is not required. However, if one wanted to make an MART, it would require one of these two Sabbaths.

-Does not require a Witch Mother to perform the Sabbath, but they must at least be present.

-The offerings are non-negotiable, and if not sufficiently met, will cause the Sabbath to fail.

-These enchantments must be re-charged in the presence of the Altar every 3 weeks.

Sabbath of Replacement

The loss of a functioning organs or entire limbs such as eyes, arms, or legs is a practical death-sentence to a Witch. They are unable to properly disguise these missing parts, resulting in nonfunctional and rigid replacements. This Sabbath, however, allows for the replacement of such with prosthetics. An offering must be made to the Altar that is specifically what the Witch wants replaced. (i.e. Lost an arm, must offer an arm if you want a new arm.) Once the Sabbath begins, the Mother fashions a minor prosthetic shape out of cursed ice, usually a small ball or bit of bone depending on what is missing. This shape is then inserted, with some pain, into the Witch’s body. From there, the prosthetic is imbued, and will begin to take on ice from its surroundings, forming and replacing the lost limb.  Due to the presence of the cursed ice, the limb or organ will from then on be functional and can be disguised with the Witch. However, its true temperature, feel, and density cannot be disguised. It will begin to melt and distort in higher temperatures, and, while disguised it functions exactly like a normal hand and cannot be manipulated. They lack any general nerves or precise feeling in the limb, as well. The destruction of the prosthetic of cursed ice will make the limb non functional, and will fall unless manually held up by the Witch while undisguised.

-Must be performed by a Witch Mother.

-Requires an offering equal to what is being replaced.

-The ice organ or limb will be functional, but lack most nerves and feeling. An eye replaced will have poorer vision than the original.

-While disguised, the ice organ or limb will have the exact texture, feel, and temperature of ice.

-Removal or destruction of the cursed ice prosthetic will cause the limb to falter.

-The ice can be manipulated with little issue with the Witch is undisguised, however it functions exactly like a normal arm, leg, or eye while disguised. No exceptions.

Sabbath of Service

A complex and potentially deadly Sabbath, performed only by Witches or Mothers wholly dedicated to the service of their brood and coven. This Sabbath requires intense preparation and has strict requirements for success, failing to adhere to such will most likely lead to failure and death. This Sabbath allows a Witch or Witch Mother to entirely shed their fleshy form, and become a frozen guardian or sentinel for the Coven. The process begins when a Witch or Mother decides willingly that they want to undergo the change, for whatever reason. They must then be confined and restrained in a room, and completely starved to the point of ferality. Once they are starved, they must be contained and brought before the Altar to be judged. At the Altar there should be a man, mostly unrestrained but confined to the area. The feral Witch or Mother must then kill and consume almost the entirety of the man, before the Sabbath may truly begin. If the Witch succeeds in such, which they for the most part do, she must be taken to the Altar and impaled upon a branch or spiky portion of the Altar. From there, they will wither and die. This usually takes a few days. Once this process is complete, where the Witch’s body once was, a large, pulsating chunk of cursed ice should remain. This chunk must be taken off of the Altar and placed in the snow. From there, it will begin to form the body of the new Witch, known as an ‘Ivojur.’ There is no difference between an Ivojur made from a Witch or a Witch Mother.

This Ivojur  will have completely formed into a large icy construct, with its center point being the cursed ice heart in its chest. There are limits to the size and shape of the Ivojur having a maximum height of 7ft and a minimum height of 5’5. They must be corporeal and solid, but can have slight variations in appearance depending upon the habits, personality, and appearance of the Witch before it. An Ivojur may disguise themselves, however, they are limited to 2 disguises, one that is exactly their original descendant form, and a new one that cannot be more or less than 1 ft in height than their true form’s height. This disguise cannot be drastically different in shape than their true form. (I.E. Incredibly small/skinny) They have difficulty disguising their icy nature, as well. However, they are incredibly efficient fighting and support creatures, having generally somewhat of a will of their own, as well as serving as a walking ice storage for any Witch accompanying them. They are durable and hardy, except in the case of fire and heated weapons against their ice, and holy fire or light when used against their ‘heart.’ Because of their size and shape, it can be difficult for an Ivojur to properly wear clothes and armor, so it is not uncommon for them to fuse plates and bits of metal into their icy bodies. Due to their service to the coven, an Ivojur is incapable of performing an action, be it physical or verbal, that would bring harm, or potential harm, to a witch or to the Coven. They will, when requested, come to the defense of another Witch or Witch Mother. In the situation where they must harm another Witch, it must be at the discretion of a Witch Mother, and only if the other Witch is actively attempting to cause harm. Upon death and destruction of the Heart, the Ivojur  will return to her respective Altar and re-form after one day. An Ivojur is not constrained by the limits of consuming flesh, or sleep. Their ability to control and summon ice and snow is enhanced to that of a Witch Mother. Just as the Altar does, they have the ability to create and direct small wisp-like creatures of ice. They may only have up to two at a time, and are unable to cast any other ice-related ability while controlling the creatures. Constant movement and combat will dampen their ability to control the creatures as well.

-Failure to adhere to the requirements of the Sabbath may cause the death of the Witch or Mother. PK.

-Construct, requires CA and shape/form requires approval. Cannot be larger than 7ft or smaller than 5’5ft

-Limited to 2 disguises, one is previous descendant form, the other no larger or smaller than 1ft of their true height, cannot disguise icy temperature/aspects.

-Weak to high heat, heated weapons, and ice-pick like/blunt weapons. Holy fire/Magic only effective against their cursed ice heart.

-Destruction of the heart results in death. All standard death rules apply. If their heart is not destroyed, they may re-form around it. If the heart is kept and prevented from reforming, they will eventually die and return to the Altar. Re-form at the Altar after one day.

-Is NOT required to consume flesh, or sleep. Generally a durable and hardy juggernaut. In turn, however, slow and lumbering, even in their disguised form. Their movements are harsh and rigid, lacking fluidity due to being made entirely of ice. 

-Is unaffected by the positive or negative effects of potions and or poisons.

-Due to their warped and distorted nature, an Ivojur may not practice any other form of magic.

-Generally lack positive feelings towards any non-witch, and are incapable of performing an action (verbal or phsyical) that would bring harm or potential harm to another Witch or to the Coven. The only exception being if a Mother commands them to perform the action against a Witch who is or has attempted to harm another Witch or the Coven.

-Abilities equal to that of a Witch Mother.

-Can summon up to 2 icy creatures, no larger than a medium-sized dog and entirely unintelligent, requiring the direction of the Ivojur. Creation of the creature requires the Ivojur remove a part of their form, such as a hand, arm, leg, or chunk of flesh, and use it to form the creature. Control of one of these creatures may be passed on to another Witch, with the same limitations. Controlling the creature requires one may not cast any other form of ice magic, or move/fight intensely. Upon losing control, the ice creature will dissipate. The creatures can be destroyed with fire or force, causing the Ivojur  to lose control and be unable to summon more for one day. If the creature is destroyed, the Ivojur may not replace the part lost for one day.

-Cannot function in hot and dry environments, and must return to the presence of the Altar at least once every two weeks to ‘re-charge’

Examples of an Ivojur

cDmBKS4.jpg

An Ivojur wearing some plates and cloth armor. ((Guild Wars 2 Concept Art))

aD5qojO.jpg

A pure ice Ivojur. ((https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/136317723/demigods-rising-strategy-miniature-game))

Rebirth and Reconstruction

b2322543331e4224ec895199b05ac13f.jpg

Alone in the Forest by Viktor Titov

“I could not feel myself. Everything was a terrible, violent blur. I had no flesh or bones but it felt as though they were being torn asunder. There was a deafening pound in my consciousness, a forceful desire to consume, to be reborn, to live again.”

“We though’ it was some big animal that was tearin’ up tha woods, leavin’ lotsa half-eaten corpses an’ all. Wasn’ hard to follow the trail but the, er, thing dissapeared into tha’ woods as soon as we saw it. Hard ta’ describe, really. Big spikes an’ chunks o’ bloody ice. Real unsettlin’.”

Due to their inherently corrupted and twisted nature, a Witch will find themselves upon death turned away by the Monks of the cloud temple. Their nature is not one of undeath, however, and thus they will find no revival in the Sunless Sanctum. The curse is inherently self-sustaining, and while it has no consciousness of its own, it does possess an inherent, almost virus-like desire to sustain itself and replicate. Because of this, a method was devised that allows a Witch to be reborn after death. The process is, as such:

Upon death, the Witch’s soul exits the body as expected, however, rather than being taken to some prospective afterlife, the curse, using the nearest Altar, which acts as an anchor, drags the Witch back to it. Upon reaching the altar, the Witch re-manifests in an incorporeal state, collecting bits of ice and snow to attach to its wispy silhouette. In this state, a witch is generally known as a ‘Banshee.’ From this point, the Banshee is past a state of ferality, and exists only with a singular purpose in mind: to reconstruct itself. To achieve this goal, the Banshee begins to scour the area surrounding the Altar, searching for living flesh to consume and re-purpose, using it as fuel for the curse as it reconstructs them. This flesh, generally, comes from any and all animals and creatures that inhabit the area surrounding the Altar. Smaller animals, such as squirrels, rabbits, and the like, require that the Banshee consume more of them. Larger animals, such as deer, wolves, and bears, usually only require one or two for the Banshee to reform. They are, however, more difficult for the Banshee to kill and consume. Because the Banshee is largely incorporeal, it is impossible for any of these beasts to kill it, however, larger animals take more time to slow down and kill. Once the Banshee has consumed enough flesh, they will re-form into the Witch.

Once the Witch has been re-born, they would be in a state of delusion and confusion, awakening in the middle of nowhere, and surrounded by the viscera of any assortment of animals. Their mental state will generally be influenced by the animals they used to reconstruct themselves, leading to such tendencies as increased viciousness and temperament for a Witch who consumed a wolf, a noticeable skittish nature for a Witch who consumed a deer, and so on and so forth. Eventually these tendencies will disappear, and the Witch will return to normal.

This method of rebirth is, however, inherently flawed. If the Witch dies more than once, they will find that the time they spend as a Banshee, and the time they spend influenced by the animals increases with each death. It is a painful and traumatic experience, and almost no Witch sees fit to speak of it, having little recollection of the events regardless.

-All standard death rules still apply. If PK is desired, the explanation for such is that the Witch’s desire for death is greater than the curse’s pull, the witch will pass on.

-This is not something that must necessarily be RP’d out, as it would probably just be the Witch emoting to themselves about killing animals or the sort, but can be if they really, really want to. (It is mostly just flavor)

-The animalistic tendencies are practically NEVER positive. No increased senses, awareness, reflexes. They are negative traits associated with feral, animal qualities.

-After dying, a Witch respawns at an altar. They still face the downsides of the animal tendencies, but the time in banshee form won't be RP'd because (as the lore states), it isn't something that can necessarily be RP'd.

-They are not undead, however while in the Banshee form they are incorporeal and thus able to be harmed by Gold Weapons, naturally. It would be however, very rare to run into a Banshee, as they naturally avoid humans or other sentient beings/creatures. If they are somehow found and ‘slain’ they will simply return to the altar and attempt to repeat the process after 2 hours.

Clarification on Frost Witch Tier System

Due to the nature of the magic being a partially inherent art associated with the curse, the “tier system” functions differently than other types of magic. Functionally, there are 3 tiers. ((Corresponding to tiers 1 2 and 3 for simplicity’s sake))

Tier 1: Fledgling: A Witch that has recently transformed. They lack the ability to properly utilize the magic, and must be instructed by a Witch Mother, or mentored by another experienced Witch. The magic is simple enough in function that any Witch can effectively “teach it,” but only a Mother may spread the curse. A fledgling is inexperienced and weak, only able to don one disguise that is exactly the same in appearance as their previous form. They struggle to summon ice and snow, but have a somewhat easier time controlling pre-existing materials. This tier generally lasts 2~ weeks after they fully transform, 3~ weeks from the point of cursing.

Tier 2: Witch: After becoming more accustomed to the magic, a Witch’s flat abilities plateau. The speed at which they can shape and summon ice remains stagnant, regardless of age or practice, although one who neglects to use it might find their comfort with it slipping. A Witch will remain in tier 2 for the rest of their life, only advancing when they take upon themselves the mantle of Witch Mother. A Witch has access to a number of varied disguises, and can summon ice and snow with ease. While a younger Witch and an older Witch might be equal in flat power, the elder will most likely have a familiarity with the magic and potentially clever tricks, giving them the edge.

Tier 3: Witch Mother: The apex. When a coven is in need of a mother, or when a Witch feels as though they deserve to start their own, they may either strike out on their own or challenge the current mother for superiority. A Witch Mother has a natural aura of power and grace, immediately noticeable to other Witches. Her abilities are greatly enhanced, as well, allowing her to better defend and provide sustenance for her brood. They are, however, compelled to spread the Witch’s curse, feeling a natural pull towards women susceptible to the curse’s presence. They are the only beings capable of spreading the curse, and a Witch Mother will remain as such until she dies, or becomes an Ivojur. It is difficult for a Witch Mother to resist the pull of the curse, preventing the curse from dying out entirely if certain mothers would have a change of heart.

Acknowledgements

Perrin: He wrote the first lore fluff. Blessed.

AngelsCrosshairs: For helping me develop ideas and being patient with me

The Frost Witches: For being patient with me. Sorry this took so long.

Charlie the Guy: He won't read this, but he keeps me sane.

Extremely well written lore that I think will serve as a unique addition to roleplay for the frost witches. +1

29 minutes ago, meg said:

Sabbaths

Beautifully written. Well done, Meg.

I'm glad that we can make Frost Witches less frost and more witch.

31 minutes ago, Babehab said:

DID SOMEBODY SAY WITCH LORE!?

!PANIC!PANIC!PANIC!

It's good though. Will give me a reason to behave /very/ witch like.

hey meg sorry for bumping your post down but hey VERY nice lore hahah very good stuff and I hope that Frost Witches make a decent return 

good luck to you and your endeavors alright praise jesus

You've stolen something from me for the last time, succubus.

hey, im actually scared of frost witches now

10 hours ago, Avacyn said:

You've stolen something from me for the last time, succubus.

XKaLiBJ.jpg

I really like this, good job on it. ;p

Made some adjustments to redlines and Ivojur.