[✓] [Druid Clarification] Herblore

Sky

Herblore

Herblore_cape.png

Druid’s are well known for their healing prowess with natural herbs, be it from a leafy patch-up or reattaching a freshly removed limb, it is said that in terms of medicinal herb work that the druid’s abilities go unmatched. This art is incredibly interesting as it works hand-in-hand with the knowledge of herbalist alchemy and the druids natural magic.

Whilst the druids are best known within the realm of healing with their unparalleled usage of herbs, even those who are not adept at performing the magic are able to use the wonderful remedies that are created by other druid to astounding effects. It is common for the druids to build clinics nearby herb gardens to house their bandages, poultices, salves and potions, that others are able to benefit from in emergencies.

Tier 1:

The druid has learned much of herbology and has begun to use this knowledge to enhance herbs in the creation of salves and poultices, however due to their lack of experience not only is it very exhausting for them but whenever they attempt to enhance new herbs, the chance of it becoming enhanced incorrectly is quite high and while the augmentations only last barely an hour, their side-effects can be quite disastrous when the herb is enhanced incorrectly.

Tier 2:

The druid finds themselves able to utilize their gift of enhancement for much longer than before, allowing the druid to be able to practice upon herbs they have yet to actively use and able to keep the augmentations to last up to two days,  however their chance of enhancing a herb incorrectly has barely decreased.

Tier 3:

The druid’s knowledge on the art of herbology has increased to the point that they would find all simple herbs a breeze to enhance and turn into salve at a whim, the augmentation lasting up to a week and their chances of enhancing herbs incorrectly drastically drops and would have the rare amount of trouble with simple herbs, however still having some trouble with the more rare herbs.

Tier 4:

The druid is able to enhance poultices without meditating with the plants, and are able to pass on their knowledge to other druids as to learn. At this point, the chances of the druid incorrectly enhancing a herb has all but left them, and their ability to enhance even the most rare of herbs has begun to shine through as the druids training has clearly paid off. Most if not all augmentations lasting up to a month at most.

Tier 5:

The druid has mastered the art of herblore and is able to enhance most all herbs with a very rare chance of it going wrong, and their augmentations lasting nearly indefinitely as they have mastered their potential. Some druid spend their entire lives creating remedies for other druids to use, and when something bad happens, it is these druids salves that everyone tries to get their hands on. Their knowledge of herbs and on how to enhance them has become a lasting legacy.

Points and Red Lines:

• Direct healing has never fit with the theme of how druid’s rely purely upon nature around them, and as such has been officially removed in this ‘rework’.

• Since the magic is able to be used in both a positive way and a negative way, changing the name officialy from ‘Natures Healing’ to ‘Herblore’ seems much more appropriate considering that it revolves all around herbs and enhancing them.

• Wooden replacement limbs are created through blight healing (bringing the wood alive) and nature’s control (growing the limb into the druid), the only part herblore comes into place is to stop the bleeding which can be done by other magical and non-magical medics.

• For tier 1 and 2, when trying to figure out whether a herb was correctly enhanced or not, a roll out of twenty decides and if the roll ends up being lower than fifteen, then the enhancement is done incorrectly and the herbs side-effect is instead enhanced.

• For tier 3 and 4, when using a herb that has never been used before and when trying to figure out whether a herb was correctly enhanced or not, a roll out of twenty decides and if the roll ends up being lower than ten, then the enhancement is done incorrectly and the herbs side-effect is instead enhanced.

So... what are the actual effects of the enhanced plants? Do their properties just get more potent? Could you give some example and limitations?

As a druid that practices Herblore, I am loving it! Really gets that druidic botanist feel going on. Kudos, fam.

At last, Druids are plant lovin' sometimes sexy hippies, they are supposed to heal with plants! I never enjoyed the magical pew pew healing abilities of the druids, this fits better.

2 hours ago, Jaeden said:

Their properties just get more potent, yeah.

So tippen roots becomes... same because it's already pretty good, and blissfoil numbs the area permanently because it's already powerful as heck?

Unless you mean for things like natural antidotes, and teas to become stronger again after a sickness, and for healing actual illnesses, the herbs available are already powerful as they can be. Tippens can already stop bleeding from a lumberjacking accident, blissfoil can permanently numb an area, serpent stalk and frost vine are already pretty good at dealing with burns, though I guess this one could be a bit better. Normally alcohol is used as an desinfectant, so that's the basics and the normal extent of herb medicine. Far as I know there isn't any herb that can help with bone healing, for bruises normally one of the above is used, for internal bleeding you're screwed (also there's no actual herbs that help with that), cancer and tumors I don't believe have a cure besides magic, and iches, illnesses like the flu and other more potent I can imagine this magic helping but they are sooooo rare IG.

Examples would be nice because I'm probably misunderstand it.

Good stuff. Arbitrary green energy is arbitrary.

Druids should have the ability to 'heal' people of infections through using this magic to commune with microorganisms or parasites within the diseased person's body to get them to leave, though. Obviously this same magic doesn't apply to viruses/prions since they aren't alive, but the druid can organize a better defense against them by communing with white blood cells or gastrointestinal flora or something.  

Microdruidism. 

1 hour ago, Jistuma said:

- snip snap -

why do you hate druids so much that you need to heckle them every time

As with many other things in Druidism; It comes down to the creativity of the one who's using it, and good communication with the MT. I've seen normally useless and impotent plants become vital healing tools by imbuing power to the latent potential within them, I've seen Druids utilize herbs that are normally too volatile to safely have a practical use, and I've seen it enhance plants with outstanding utility as-is into herbs with supernatural effects. Not to mention some Druids who can pull things like mend skin with leaves or replace limbs with branches (although apparently that's just blight healing now with this revision which is something I'm not supportive of but I don't care enough about to protest)... Further; Its ritual use and RP potential, which has seen it gain much more utility than a simple healing tool. Many herbs do many things which aren't thought of.

Things get really interesting when you pair druid plant magic with alchemy, though. Stuff gets weird.

Cauldron rituals and witch-y spells; Potions that do some real funky stuff. But, that requires strict organization with the MT, so who has time for that?

On another note, I'm going to miss the potential for direct healing. I've literally never seen a Druid, including myself, do it, but it was fun to argue with people that it was possible.

edit: I forgot to mention that I will accept this revision albeit with a heavy heart for the loss of argument fuel.

51 minutes ago, TheCritsyBear said:

why do you hate druids so much that you need to heckle them every time

Just because I have questions about a lore doesn't mean I'm heckling with them. I'm asking for examples because I've seen nothing in the lore that stated that they can do half the things you've said they can do.

53 minutes ago, TheCritsyBear said:

I've seen normally useless and impotent plants become vital healing tools by imbuing power to the latent potential within them, I've seen Druids utilize herbs that are normally too volatile to safely have a practical use, and I've seen it enhance plants with outstanding utility as-is into herbs with supernatural effects.

What are the latent potentials, what are these supernatural effects, what are these volatile herbs?

54 minutes ago, TheCritsyBear said:

mend skin with leaves

I assume by mend you mean replace, and if you did, it's the first example I've seen.

57 minutes ago, TheCritsyBear said:

Things get really interesting when you pair druid plant magic with alchemy, though. Stuff gets weird.

Also I can tell you that normally magic and alchemy don't mix all that well, though I can think of a few ways it could be useful.

I have nothing against the rp that can be generated from this magic, I just want to know what CAN BE DONE with it, because saying "it empowers the effects of herbs" tells me almost nothing about how it can be used. Is it just "This plant can heal burn wounds, with magic it can heal burn wounds better" or "This plant stops bleeding but smells awful, with magic it doesn't smell as bad" or "This plant naturally creates light, with magic it creates more light" or none of those or all of those, or is it something else, or what? There are no examples just vague wording.

Can they create more powerful poisons with the magic? Can rotten fruit be made fit to eat with the magic? Can herbs gain properties they never had before? Can an herb be made explosive? What are the limits and what aren't? Could someone give me examples because I really have no idea besides the "It makes it better" which to me isn't enough information?

Can the healing prowess of a herb be enhanced? Yes. Can the poisonous effect of a herb be enhanced? Yes. Can the taste of a herb be enhanced? Yes. Can the lifetime of a herb be enhanced? Yes. Etc. Why would you do this? Multiple reasons, all up to the druid in question to decide. All of which, is already part of herblore, this just making a small clarification on the removal of direct healing.

7 minutes ago, Sky said:

Can the healing prowess of a herb be enhanced? Yes. Can the poisonous effect of a herb be enhanced? Yes. Can the taste of a herb be enhanced? Yes. Can the lifetime of a herb be enhanced? Yes. Etc. Why would you do this? Multiple reasons, all up to the druid in question to decide. All of which, is already part of herblore, this just making a small clarification on the removal of direct healing.

Can herbology enhance my fat blunt of cactus green so it gets you higher? If not, it1s completely unuseful...!

Just now, Man of Respect said:

Can herbology enhance my fat blunt of cactus green so it gets you higher? If not, it1s completely unuseful...!

Yes, it can.

Just now, Sky said:

Yes, it can.

AoHzXks.gif

Hasn't direct healing been removed for over a year now?

11 hours ago, Jistuma said:

I had thought it was, however in a guide and one of the two (I have no idea why there is two, but I am actively working on changes) lore threads it states it is still around.

11 hours ago, Jistuma said:

It hasn't been fully clear as there was a lore accepted proposing the removal of direct healing, but then not long after (probably a few months) a druidism guide was posted which still referenced direct healing as something possible. Guides are also apparently still considered canon lore as well too, so I'm sure this is being posted to clarify that it is still removed.