[✓] Casting Implements

Any masterful mage that has delved into magic enough to call themselves a "Master of the Arcane" should be pretty much tissue paper... Regardless of their race or whether or not they're undead or living. 

It wouldn't be fair otherwise. 

Anyone that doesn't take that into account is just a power Gamer Really :p

Make magic great again 

I like this

What would happen should the implement be struck or destroyed during casting? For instance if a stick was broken while casting or a metal implement was used to parry a sword?

On 5/13/2017 at 9:17 PM, oblivionsbane said:

What would happen should the implement be struck or destroyed during casting? For instance if a stick was broken while casting or a metal implement was used to parry a sword?

tenor.gif

43 minutes ago, oblivionsbane said:

Depends on the item. If it gets damaged and or destroyed, then the casting will fizzle out of existence.

I have to agree with some of the others. I don't think the degradation factor of mages should be tampered with compared to how it already is.

In relation to something else in the lore. Would the implementation of this basically mean if you don't do this ritual to make it an 'implement', a focus crystal will always break itself on use? That seems like it could be a problem in some cases.

Problems

1. 3 day rule, item on person limit, and appearance lock have almost no tactical disadvantage except for people who constantly chuck them selves at things for random and unwarranted killing, and people who RP in areas that are plagued by random and unwarranted killing.

2. Unless some ***** quietly changed the lore while I wasn't looking, descendant voidal magic connections function through the soul. This means that the only way to work around the effects of the void is to avoid connecting.

3. Again, unless some ***** quietly changed the lore while I wasn't looking the void mages focus point is already in the realm of open aesthetics, so long as it is in proximity to the casting mage, and focus crystal lore already exists to slap down anyone who gets mad over an aesthetic choice.

This steps on the toes of a lot of things.

I get what your going for but implementing random objects into casting is already preformed, their is no need to tack a tactical advantage onto an aesthetic choice, and their is no need to make focus crystals suddenly become a scarce resource.

Edited by Данстан

10 hours ago, Gladuos said:

I have to agree with some of the others. I don't think the degradation factor of mages should be tampered with compared to how it already is.

In relation to something else in the lore. Would the implementation of this basically mean if you don't do this ritual to make it an 'implement', a focus crystal will always break itself on use? That seems like it could be a problem in some cases.

Fair enough! I respect your opinion, and if it comes to it, I will gladly keep them as weak as before.

Not really. Using it for enchantments and Arcane engineering is still viable; if you actually channel a spell into it, then it'll break!

I don't really like the idea of mages getting physically stronger.  They're already rather powerful as it is and them becoming weaker has to get the mage to start thinking creatively in protecting themselves or just getting them to avoid violence in general and doing better things

But using focus crystals in enchantments and such is still physically channeling a spell through it.

1 hour ago, UnBaed said:

I don't really like the idea of mages getting physically stronger.  They're already rather powerful as it is and them becoming weaker has to get the mage to start thinking creatively in protecting themselves or just getting them to avoid violence in general and doing better things

Still physically weaker than your mineman warrior, the strength boost is very minor. 

34 minutes ago, Gladuos said:

But using focus crystals in enchantments and such is still physically channeling a spell through it.

Fair point, i just really liked the idea of consumables. I'll get rid of it!

If the current generation of mages had a standardized strength they'd be going by then I think this would be more viable; right now a mage's strength is mostly arbitrary and left to RP. If there were a norm that was established, I think this would be more viable. For the time being, I think this will only make people think that it removes any weakness due to the current way magic is RP'd, (not that it's entirely true.)

Is there an app needed for this too, like everything else? :P