[✗] Holy Alteration Clarification

Tsuyose

Holy Alteration

Clarification

Wards, a creation originally devised by Alterationist's in their aspiration to broaden their knowledge in voidal magicks. An art which enables them the means to thwart oncoming magic, should they, themselves, be versed in its invokement. Later, it became a universal tool for deific magi, of Xan, Tahariae, and Aeriel, albeit prevalently used by the Ascended, it later came into usage by the Clerics, and then the Paladins. Wielded by their respective magi, scarce in number, for its overarching name was dubbed ‘Holy Alteration’, a sub-sect of deific magic containing two prevalent spells: Enchanting, Warding. The former has been used throughout the ages, prior to its namesake, to produce items permanently and temporarily wrapped in empyreal magic, with either negative or positive side-effect's, dependent on whoever wielded the item.

The latter, however, is renown for its adverse effects against foes blemished. Dark magi, or varying races, and varying magicks are unable to traverse through a ward, for it would scorn the soul, and sacrifice their vigour and stamina. Ultimately, capable of killing, it is more so a barrier against the undead, thwarting passage unless they were to persevere through the ward. It is entirely possible for passage, albeit extremely difficult as aforementioned, physically wounding the dark magi, or undead in question. A powerful tool to enact as a foremost defence against the ill-willed and malicious, it is often implanted at the city-gates of cities, towns, and prevalent areas alike, regardless of its empowerment, they aren’t without their weaknesses. Respectively, these spells are often wielded by the most trusted and empowered of their ilk, preventing mass-spread due to the probability of empyreal weaponry being bequeathed onto the unworthy and undeserving.

Holy Alteration, as aforementioned, is a prominent tool used by deific magi in their efforts to produce empyreal weaponry to thwart the undead, or otherwise, create artefacts and relics alike. Accompanying this, warding is an additional tool to thwart the undead, prevent progression, or otherwise, deter them entirely. Enchantments are crafted through imbuing an item/tool with light, whilst this is a possibility with, per say, Paladins and their spellcraft, this is only temporary. The trick of the art comes from the possibility of ‘locking’ the light into the item/tool, providing it with a myriad of effects, or whichever the user opted for. This is achieved through making the light more malleable than it already is, melding it into the item in question, and locking it in place; something which requires the practice of a teacher with their student, hindering random deific magi from abruptly learning the spellcraft. Nevertheless, it is also plausible for enchantments to have a catalyst, locking the light magic into a crystal of sorts, which is better renown as calcified light.

Calcified light is when both a Holy Magi and a Holy Alterationist come together, imbuing their light into a singular point to the extent that it becomes so extremely dense it remains in place, sparking into an electrical esque aesthetic before ‘freezing’ in place. Therein resulting in the creation of calcified light, whilst the Holy Magi is the ‘battery’ for the creation of the light, the Holy Alterationist is the means to lock it in place at the appropriate time. Calcified light is, in effect, crystallised light, and is shown to be such, for example:

kiAUVk4W1RJgD6XJN1jO8mnITOO3Pynu0FGk52dkJ8-xHGjzkOCiSG-HSlCDVXsauWSFs3aTBuAypRr9IJTuCz9pPo53nimcoBUEOAi4g9r_Y7iYYLjBpdNJTSwpNfE7Sya5eI5k

When implemented into an item, it means that the enchantment may last a lot longer than it would without calcified light. Therein permitting it the potential to exist over the duration of years, decades, and quite event centuries, with the thousand year long enchantments being a rarity. A result of extremely powerful deific magi coming together to produce relics and artefacts, however, there have been cases of artificers able to perform this feat by their lonesome, and are rewarded for such in their respective afterlives. However, this task is considered extremely impossible, and can only be achieved in the most rare cases, for those most bound to their Aengul: Hilan Athna, Braxis Silverblade.

Ward's, however, are able to be produced by a lonesome Holy Alterationist, devised through either imbuing an item with light so that it might produce a lesser aura to ward off undead or dark magicks or through ritualism. The latter is achieved through prayer, either prayer, or sheer will-power, for the Aengul Xan doesn’t require faith, and demands but service, whereas Tahariae demands worship. Whilst the ritualism aspect is to a lesser degree, akin to permanent enchantment, it can only be learnt through a teacher, and cannot be learnt through self-teaching. Through worship, a Cleric or Ascended will be able to produce a singular ward, thrumming with their respective power, to either thwart or hinder the progression of undead and/or dark magi, or even weaken their dark magicks. Through service and sheer will-power, a Paladin will be capable of producing a ward of their own respective power, thrumming with the light of the Mists. When a deific magi comes together in their aspiration to produce a ward, they must focus it into a singular area, willing the light to come together and clad an object, or at a center-point in the air, with the magic.

Therein providing them with the means to create a ward, consistently imbuing said area/object with light until it solidifies into a lesser form of calcified light. Therein creating a ward, however, it cannot be moved, or otherwise, the ward will break, and it must be re-powered every seven days for it to remain empowered, and do its duty. Due to the light and raw mana exerted by the lesser form of calcified light, there can only be one within a specific radius of one another - minimum of ten blocks - or otherwise the light will merge, and as ‘chaotical’ light is spawned, so would this, exploding, and likely damaging its surroundings. However, there are three forms of ward's, which go as follows:

• Hinder: This ward hinders the undead/dark magi, hindering their means of progression. Whilst it is entirely plausible, they will succumb to great pain and torment in the process of, and will most likely require rest afterwards. They will be unable to engage in combat straight away, their joints will ache as if they had suffered from years worth of arthritis. Those without a corporeal form, will struggle with movement, and will undergo extensive pain throughout, and moments after, hindering their ability in combat. (Prevents dark magi/creatures from automatically engaging in combat after by-passing a ward.)

• Annul: This ward is a means to prevent dark magi from invoking their tenebrous magicks, or weakening it to a considerable degree. Those tier four and five, while in this ward, will be weakened to tier three, whilst those tier three, will be weakened to tier two. Tier two and one will be unaffected by this ward. That said, due to its deific affiliation, both dark magi and creatures alike will full a dull, over longing pain, albeit it wouldn’t be enough to hinder their ability to invoke dark magicks.

• Revoke: Akin to Hinder, this ward was designed with the intent of hindering one's ability to progress, however, it is more ‘powerful’ in the sense that those of undead origin and those wielding dark magicks. It prevents passage entirely, albeit it manifests in the shape of a veil instead of a singular focal point exhuming light in a spherical manner. This veil is, however, not worthy of being produced in cities, towns, and keeps, for its sole intent is to prevent anyone except those who wield their Aengul’s magic from passing. Whether they are mortal or undead, it is a shield-veil of sorts, and is mostly used to conceal a location or protect a location from harm's way.

Like all ward's, these respective three can be damaged and destroyed, producing a minor ‘explosion’ of sorts which will produce light in all manners of direction, and is capable of damaging those undead and dark magi. All wards must be exposed, concealing them therein conceals the effects of the ward, and disallows it from its full potential. Through force, these wards can be destroyed, with the calcified light being the sole weakness for such- when destroyed, the ward fails, allowing passage.

Red lines:

• Multiple ward's cannot be in one location.

• Multiple wards of varying deific origin cannot be in one location.

• Multiple enchantments cannot be on one item/tool.

• Multiple enchantments of varying deific origin cannot be on one item/tool.

• Ward's must be recharged every seven days, failure to do so results in failure of the ward.

• Ward's can only be in ten block range of one another, pressing more than one together will result in the ward becoming volatile.

• Ward: Revoke provides passage for those of their Aengul’s origin and solely those.

• Spooks must adhere to this, keep it in good favour, lads.

• Wards are exhausting to both produce and recharge.

• Enchantments will only last seven days, requiring a recharge, unless enchanted by calcified light.

• When explaining that in rare cases, those most bound to their Aengul’s are able to produce extreme relics/artefacts, this is in the case of event characters and/or events. It should be noted that it is highly implausible for those with the sheer power to enact it, as it is mostly a spiritual enactment, and can only be achieved at the behest of their respective Aengul.

Absolutely welcome for more redlines/edits. I’m not particularly great with creating red lines, so, feel free to voice any concerns. However, this is a long-needed clarification/lore write, and hopefully something both sides can agree upon.

Yes +1

Is this meant to be a lore for holy alteration in all things clerical, paladins, and ascended? In which case, don't clerics and ascended have plenty of lore to explain their own respective stuff already?

3 minutes ago, Gladuos said:

Is this meant to be a lore for holy alteration in all things clerical, paladins, and ascended?

I believe its a general clarification for warding in all branches to stop the wanton usage of it

23 minutes ago, Tsuyose said:

and will most likely require rest afterwards.

How much time, exactly? I assume it would vary from creature to creature and mage to mage, but still. That aside, though, love the rewrite.

Um.. little concerned here about the clerical revamp and this lore potientally colliding as I have reworked the ward system and holy alteration for the clerics. Do not want to spoil much but I am uneased about this lore and how it may impact the ward systems tjat focus on revealling disguises of spooks, blocking the spread of land taint, and ceasing dark magic in a certain amount of blocks. As well as how this may affect the new blessing systems.

(The Clerical Revamp is going well btw - got war cleric, and the Holy Alteration systems fleshed out so I just need to add them to the new lore doc)

6 minutes ago, Farryn said:

Um.. little concerned here about the clerical revamp and this lore potientally colliding as I have reworked the ward system and holy alteration for the clerics. Do not want to spoil much but I am uneased about this lore and how it may impact the ward systems tjat focus on revealling disguises of spooks, blocking the spread of land taint, and ceasing dark magic in a certain amount of blocks. As well as how this may affect the new blessing systems.

(The Clerical Revamp is going well btw - got war cleric, and the Holy Alteration systems fleshed out so I just need to add them to the new lore doc)

And yet, to me it doesn't look like the wards do what they were previously meant to do, and instead they do much more. Most clerics hope to use wards to completely cancel out spooks getting into their cities instead of just reveal them.

1 minute ago, SuperDuckyGamer said:

And yet, to me it doesn't look like the wards do what they were previously meant to do, and instead they do much more. Most clerics hope to use wards to completely cancel out spooks getting into their cities instead of just reveal them.

Clerical Light naturally has a tendency to burn tainted beings. Note that this doesn't burn dark mages, only their magic (Meaning they can pass through it unharmed). And so only tainted beings would be affected.

As well as wards are not physical barriers, consider it to be a light water fall of light. You can still pass through it, but it may burn the taint that it comes into contact with, causing pain for the person... Meaning that one can still pass through it.

But anyways, she is speaking of the rewriting of the wards, not the current system we have in place for wards.

I kinda dislike how this is a blanket lore for all three holy groups, and I believe that each should be left to their magic to avoid interference and such. Just my opinion.

6 minutes ago, SuperDuckyGamer said:

Quoting the current clerical lore 

On 7/29/2015 at 4:41 PM, Ventusyr said:

When a ward is created, it acts as a holy shield against taint, unholy magic, and evil beings from crossing. It would cause an unholy creature incredible suffering to attempt to cross it, as though being submerged in fire.

They don't reveal em. Farryn is specifically talking about stuff in the future. Right now they're designed to blockade tainted things and really only powerful creatures should be able to pass through em. 

Really, I think wards should just be replaced with something more involved for everyone tbh. They are just flawed on the most basic level and cannot really be adjusted to be a fun lore to be affected by. 

18 minutes ago, Farryn said:

While there are portions of the proposed lore that are nice, I echo Farryn's feelings.

While wards have issues, I feel like this only does the opposite of the recent movement to differentiate holy magic schools.

holy alteration clarification speculation configuration pacification stipulation