[✗] Anti-Magic Rewrite

Rella101

2 hours ago, Rella101 said:

When enchantments or wards are brought into a bubble; they are drained of their mana holding them, deific and Voidal are the most susceptible, the same goes for soul puppetry hexes.  Mortal/dark arts enchantments drain slower, whereas dark hexes just stop working until out of the Fi’ distortion.

Specifically " whereas dark hexes just stop working until out of the Fi’ distortion. " This means you do not remove the soul puppetry connection but temporarily stop it from working until out of the bubble? If not I recommend changing it.

-

This lasts for 7 days maximum without OOC consent. 

This taken from the silencing. I would say no to this. Consent should be given if over any period of time of 1 IRL hour. Else you're just removing roleplay possibilities from the person. Unless you can give an ideal scenario where this would actually be helpful and not cancerous for the playerbase or player having to deal with this. Please do.

abcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabc

What are these and why is it in every forum post btw... Anyone know the answer?

10 minutes ago, Thomas said:

I've just gotten home from a long day of work and this pissing contest is getting out of hand.

Lulu, if you want to rewrite the magic then go ahead and communicate with LT Management (Freema, Perrin, Flam and Aelesh) to express your desire. Work with the Fi Community and produce a rewrite which you are content with and it will be voted on like every other submission piece.

As for your argument, Delmo and Lulu, take it away from the forums and into PMs, or do everyone a favour and leave each other alone. Stop antagonising each other and shut the f*ck up. Let this Lore Submission be exactly what it is; A lore submission. 

Get back on topic with the thread. 

I'm not antagonizing anyone, I'm just stating for the record that she's biased against me and should have no say in any decisions involving me, my lore, or my writing.

I shouldn't have to re-write a lore that was stolen from me, Tahmas, and used without my permission by SupremacyOps while I was on hiatus. I'm rightfully upset that after years of trying to get what was written by me back in my hands, I've reached no conclusion. Quite frankly considering the lore was plagiarized, maybe the situation should be approached differently by administration?

If you've just gotten home from work perhaps you ought to sit and have a cup of tea before accusing this of being a pissing contest. You've been really antagonistic lately and maybe you just need to take a break.

Meg has graciously reached out to me about the magic and she and Phil are being extremely understanding of why I am upset; my lore being stolen, reworked, abused, OP'd, and kept out of my reach for five years. I'll be working with them to try and address the many many issues that exist with the lore, but perhaps, as many others have said, its time to put anti-magic in the ground.

Love the Fi Mages but the magic is knocking on retirements door. I did like the original concept introduced by Lulu all that time ago but it may be time to close the book, it seems like a good bit of the player base is calling for this LT. I personally am neutral but it may be time to listen to the people. Rella great piece of writing and best of luck!

Honestly, I like some of the ideas of this lore, I think you should go into more mechanical detail on the Buff effect. The casting chart is pretty clear and the ball spell is pretty interesting as a magic projectile to counter other magic projectiles. 

I really do like the new taste of the lore! I do support it! 

Sadly, lore you write isn't your lore, not really. Once the LMs accept it, it's theirs. They can do what they want with it. I am not supporting or condemning that, but that's the situation. If the staff want to change lore, even if it's really for the worse, which it usually is since many LMs lack the nuance understanding of a lot of lore, then they will.

That being said, as to the actual lore and not the drama; Why does it feel like magic never has large draw backs? Insanity seems to sink in, yeah, but I'd hardly imagine many really follow that. If they do, it's insanity done wrong. 'I'm insane! I'll stab you! I'll do something whacky and weeeeird!' and not something so somber like dementia or something equally depressing. But I guess it's not fun if your warrior fi' mage dies at 62 because he became comatose in bed like a vegetable and starved to death, alone and unloved. Nah, my fi' mage? Went insane, went out and stabbed 4 people and started a cult to Iblees.

Edited by Kaiser

Since nobody seems to be giving actual feedback on the submission, I'll do it.

Honestly the piece balances some issues and could work but, in my opinion Fi magic as a whole is broken. What needs to happen is for the magic to be removed, keep the concept, and then re-write it from the ground up, new background, new origins, everything.

Oh and insanity is really only a cosmetic drawback.

That's my two cents.

As someone who knows how passionate Rella has been about this rewrite, I am actually very impressed with what she has done!
+1

Spoiler

As for the biggest opponent to this rewrite, it would seem that this person cries and throws a fit over things when they don't get their way, which I have seen them do before.

First things first gotta get this off my chest:

@lulu Your original version got denied. You were approached afterwards by Connor and he revised it. His rendition was accepted. Not yours. You allowed him access and thus cannot claim ownership. This is like me saying Voidal Shifting lore is mine because I wrote the denied Arcane Shifting which Pandan rewrote into what it is now. Of course I am not doing so & I respect the work that individual has put into it. Connor not only got "your" lore accepted but he introduced it to hundreds of people over the course of many years but due to his absence the same thing has happened to him that you are claiming happened to you. The difference is that he spent actual years on it and it was changed likely out of spite (I mean just look at the needless salt towards him in this thread) whereas he was lending you a hand. You have no claim on what he has done and thus need to cut it out and take it off this thread. It is irrelevant, catty and as a fellow community member I find it to be quite the despicable display. Let it go already.

Now as for this lore,

My main concern is that this feels too close to Abjuration (with obvious additions) which can be RPed with the same exact distortion aesthetic. Likewise it doesn't feel as though thus will solve the lack of interaction with this magic as the spells themselves are more powerful than before while doing the same thing. 

My idea would be to implement the implement lore. If a fi mage suffers from affliction at all they should have to use the implement lore at all times to cast & perhaps make it something that keeps to the fi aesthetic. The lore rewrite that happened awhile back had lanterns filled with souls. Perhaps cut out the soul library collection and just use a lantern or some other object as your implement. 

Edit: also the "buff" mechanic doesn't seem to fit. It feels weird to have fi mages doing a puesdo-blood magic enhancement. If this type of support feature is what you are after then perhaps offer some other choices as well. One single support feature (because the other spells are all the same just with the arcanism ability to mold) in a grouping of spells doesn't do the maguc justice imo.

Edit: Also also I think there has been a trap of making magics, at least those of combative nature, all the same. This rewrite feels less like fi and more like an upgraded abjuration (sorry for statung that twice). Your first spell does exactly what abjuration does and tbh if you got rid of the soul-sacrifice and put ABJURATION at the top of this piece it would probably be more likely to be accepted for that subtype rather than as a fi rewrite.

editeditedit: I just noticed it still says I am an LT. I had to resign and it feels a bit wonky to have access to the LT forums.  

Also has anyone asked Magicpastry about what he thinks? He is probably the oldest fi mage at this point.

I like the format of the piece though.

Tbh at this moment i can see a lot of Fi mages not wanting to much to play a Fi anymore because of the terrible community that comes, quite frankly if your playing someone who is always looked down upon for murdering and stealing a soul, then it probably doesnt become fun when your disliked by not only the spooks but also the holy people ICly, If your going to sit and complain about a magic re-write that could be long overdue, go in a skype chat, because no one wants you sitting in here and bashing on someone who is trying.

I don't normally read lore, but this was beyond the worth of reading. I can actually find myself actually understanding the lore and not having to read it ten times to get. Super well written.

+1 from me

The magic doesn't belong to any hand anymore, as there are a handful of people actively rp'ing as having Fi' magic, including myself, Rella and Magicpastry. This re-write was done to fix the endless amount of holes within the lines of the magic. Good work Rella!

7 hours ago, TeaLulu said:

1) fi magic cant be healed the **** how would it even, ur stuck like that for life. the soul is used to tether into the void ascended dont got power over that

It's of my opinion and Rella's that Anti-Mages, being neither undead or cursed, would likely be one of the more susceptible to Ascended Soul Mending. Furthermore it's my belief that magics that lock your character in for life are extremely detrimental to roleplay and kill a lot of interesting character arcs such as betrayal or redemption. With this rewrite implemented the dynamic of Anti-Mages will become less cut and dry and bring some interesting power struggles and political intrigue into the mix.

2 hours ago, Master Sage Delaselva said:

It's of my opinion and Rella's that Anti-Mages, being neither undead or cursed, would likely be one of the more susceptible to Ascended Soul Mending. Furthermore it's my belief that magics that lock your character in for life are extremely detrimental to roleplay and kill a lot of interesting character arcs such as betrayal or redemption. With this rewrite implemented the dynamic of Anti-Mages will become less cut and dry and bring some interesting power struggles and political intrigue into the mix.

abcabc

I liked the idea that for such power, the drawback of being locked into it forever would be present. It's refreshing to see something that doesn't allow you to flipflop and cause the previous issues of 'necros finding the light and being accepted by xan' etc. It's meant to be such a drastic sacrifice to have the boon of being able to basically dispell any magic, also don't think Aerial would like you guys saving soul stealers instead of punishing them but whatever.

As it's said before, I believe that this should be scrapped and a new name is given if the main problem of the playerbase is the 'stigma' from acquiring such a magic. Building new lore from the ground up and not using the same name, having more creative freedom over it may be more beneficial than allowing this lore to continue to go under its third or fourth re-write.

This magic has run its course, let it die and allow new ones to flourish.

This Lore has been self-denied. Topic moved to Denied Lore forum.