[Shelved][✓] Necromancy Rewrite

Tentoa

3 hours ago, Evocress said:

I've not read this but this upsets me as i'll have to change my necromancer book I was about to post accordingly. You do this to ruin me I swear.

the old necromancy, if this one passes, is be generation two

it won't disappear, it will remain a part of the history

8 hours ago, KBR said:

Yes, but you're going to need a lot of plants to drain unless you want to look anorexic 

Weirhents more specifically (or apparently) move life-force around like psuedo-druids?

An issue here is how would one obtain it rply? The third generation should be spread out among different factions (dare I say nations?) as to prevent the formation of singular groups from possessing this new generation of magic. Rogue teachers or cursed books should also be a must, there shouldn't be a single channel to learn necromancy from since this can lead to bias and maybe even the formation of circle-jerks. 

Edit:

A necromancy book can simply be a book with a curse on it. The person who reads it would be infected with a portion of the original necromancer's essence and as such would gain the ability to utilize a tier one siphon if he/she isn't cleansed. 

Edited by drfate786

1 hour ago, drfate786 said:

An issue here is how would one obtain it rply? The third generation should be spread out among different factions (dare I say nations?) as to prevent the formation of singular groups from possessing this new generation of magic. Rogue teachers or cursed books should also be a must, there shouldn't be a single channel to learn necromancy from since this can lead to bias and maybe even the formation of circle-jerks. 

Edit:

A necromancy book can simply be a book with a curse on it. The person who reads it would be infected with a portion of the original necromancer's essence and as such would gain the ability to utilize a tier one siphon if he/she isn't cleansed. 

The "circle-jerks" will remain as long as clotting does as a power. There's no spread of the magic in mind right now.

why is there no gareth hawthorne

2 hours ago, Swgrclan said:

The "circle-jerks" will remain as long as clotting does as a power. There's no spread of the magic in mind right now.

This is why necromancy on lord of the craft will remain edgy.

Well I hope this brings about more necromancers. I've had absolutely nothing to do on my Morghuul lately other than just go about and mindlessly kill. (I miss you daddy @Parkins)

This doesn't make necromancers weak to holy and aurum **** as long as they remain a descendant, does it? Or, perhaps a better worded version of this question, does the leak added to their soul count as a taint or corruption to the soul?

Was it formally possible for a morghuul to reach litchdom? I knew it was possible to become a wraith, so I doubt it wasn't. 

Once this is accepted, what is the difference between a morghuul being made into a Graveborn versus a descendant being made into a Graveborn? How does it affect the wild chaos of a morghuul's mind? 

This question isn't too important, just a tiny gripe I have; will these new necromancer players be told as to what Al'tahrn-Durngo is? I've met too many dark arts players who have no idea what it is and have no idea what my morghuul is trying to say. It's somewhat annoying especially when you know that "all things tainted, evil, corrupt or dark" are supposed to inherently understand it. 

Back on the topic at hand, and my final question, does the creation of a morghuul count towards the number of lesser ghouls or zombies a necromancer can create? 

All in all, this is a wonderful rewrite that I do truly hope brings on more necromancers, hopefully at least half of them competent. If it would be easier to answer my questions on skype, you can add me @KiausThompson. Great writing guys, keep up the spooky work. 

9 hours ago, Evocress said:

I would suggest against this addition, here i'll provide some points and possibly a helpful compromise.

-

Soul puppetry at T5 can hold a connection upto one IRL week as well with requiring constant connection and use for the curse to work. The addition you've stated can stay upto Two IRL weeks and with aid Four IRL weeks with no specification if the necromancer has to keep a constant connection. 

Now with Shamanism specifically WitchDoctors also perform curses that can be lasting depending what the Shaman and Spirit agree on, these curses can also range to those you've listed and last for X - amount of time. 

The curses themselves would be based on pure similarity, and i'll suggest going against them and doing something similar as you wrote the Branding idea. 

-

My suggestion to help:

Scrap the idea of the curses you listed and the ideal of biology item from the selected individual and in it's stead replace it with different branding affects, as stated in Resurrection you've listed one to resurrect the player upon death to fill one of the slots of zombies in your arsenal, how about a touch that rots away the skin, a touch that increases the range of your life-drain ability, ext. Help it work with your current set of skills rather then trying to use other curses which are utilized by two different groups.

I've not caught up with Mysticism yet so i'm unsure if hexes can perform these things. Though i'll suggest to keep the idea to help empower the abilities done by Necromancers rather then trying to utilize curses which can already be done by Shamanism(witchdoctor) and Soul Puppetry.

I agree completely with him! This section of the lore really caught my attention - probably because I'm a hexing freak, but whatever! Anyway, the most a witchdoctor's curse could probably extend is a week! And that's with OOC consent! A regular curse is about a day-to-two days, depending on your tier. I am against the cursing section because, like, Evocress mentioned, there are already two (maybe three because mysticism?) wonderful magics that can already curse. Not to mention, they have a wide variety of curses to cast. You even mentioned that it is similar to soul puppetry cursing... which is... meh. If you want cursing and necromancy, just become a soul puppeteer and a necromancer. No need to add that on to this rewrite when you've got some good magics right already in place! (Also, your cursing is very powerful... like super powerful... wow) Bottom line, I agree with Evocress a lot! As a suggestion to help you with this piece? I have nothing, but Evocress' amends look decent!

10 hours ago, Evocress said:

I would suggest against this addition, here i'll provide some points and possibly a helpful compromise.

-

Soul puppetry at T5 can hold a connection upto one IRL week as well with requiring constant connection and use for the curse to work. The addition you've stated can stay upto Two IRL weeks and with aid Four IRL weeks with no specification if the necromancer has to keep a constant connection. 

Now with Shamanism specifically WitchDoctors also perform curses that can be lasting depending what the Shaman and Spirit agree on, these curses can also range to those you've listed and last for X - amount of time. 

The curses themselves would be based on pure similarity, and i'll suggest going against them and doing something similar as you wrote the Branding idea. 

-

My suggestion to help:

Scrap the idea of the curses you listed and the ideal of biology item from the selected individual and in it's stead replace it with different branding affects, as stated in Resurrection you've listed one to resurrect the player upon death to fill one of the slots of zombies in your arsenal, how about a touch that rots away the skin, a touch that increases the range of your life-drain ability, ext. Help it work with your current set of skills rather then trying to use other curses which are utilized by two different groups.

I've not caught up with Mysticism yet so i'm unsure if hexes can perform these things. Though i'll suggest to keep the idea to help empower the abilities done by Necromancers rather then trying to utilize curses which can already be done by Shamanism(witchdoctor) and Soul Puppetry.

Added on it was removed from the current Dark Shaman lore being reviewed.

The similarities to Soul Puppetry in our cursing section seems to have been an oversight that one of us wrote in without mentioning. However, cursing has been apart of Necromancy since Anthos (Setherien-era), and will remain apart of the magic. Edits will be made to alter the currently defined strengths of necrotic cursing, alongside how they actually function.

On 7/13/2017 at 11:57 AM, Swgrclan said:

The similarities to Soul Puppetry in our cursing section seems to have been an oversight that one of us wrote in without mentioning. However, cursing has been apart of Necromancy since Anthos (Setherien-era), and will remain apart of the magic. Edits will be made to alter the currently defined strengths of necrotic cursing, alongside how they actually function.

Ah, sorry if i've not seen that in any of the other necromancer lores. I guess I miss-read over it or something similar. Though if possible for the suggestion I put in to make it cursing something different apart from what Witchdoctors and Soul Puppeteers can already do, I made a suggestion at the bottom of my post on how this can be achieved. Though if you have another idea i'm all ears for it.

I can provide some insight if you wish to hear, just shoot me a message.

Edit:

As I won't double post, i'll add in that the new additions that I see are somwhat the same if not just made more over-baring. I'll explain.

You previously had this:

"Cursing
A curse is a wretched thing, a hex laid upon the living so they may suffer and nothing more. They are the product of a soul shadow being awoken in a living body outside the dark origins of the necromancer’s own signature, allowing for curses to be engineered in others rather than put upon one’s self through playing dead. A potent tool, cursing requires a great deal of lifeforce and will exhaust any well experienced necromancer and thus cannot be learned until tier 3. Curses may include blindness, deafness, madness -- paranoia, hallucinations, illusions of grandeur -- impotence, or lethargy in usual cases, often altering the life of the cursed for two years (two IRL weeks) unless the curse is aided by another necromancer, extending the duration by two more years. Whole lineages can be cursed in such a way where multiple people are cursed at once and children they bear befall the same fate; a group of five necromancers can come together to conduct a ritual to gift the lifeforce of four to one who may engineer the curse. MArts may be applied to for more creative curses. A curse is set on an individual in a similar method to soul puppetry, requiring an organic piece of material from the victim to be worked on such as a lock of hair, a vial of blood, a scrap of flesh, a bone, or the person themself."

and now, this.

Cursing

A curse is a wretched thing, a hex laid upon the living so they may suffer and nothing more. They are the product of a soul shadow being awoken in a living body outside the dark origins of the necromancer’s own signature, allowing for curses to be engineered in others rather than put upon one’s self through playing dead. A potent tool, cursing requires a great deal of lifeforce and will exhaust any well experienced necromancer and thus cannot be learned until tier 3. Curses may include blindness, deafness, madness -- paranoia, hallucinations, illusions of grandeur -- impotence, or lethargy in usual cases, often altering the life of the cursed for two years (two IRL weeks) unless the curse is aided by another necromancer, extending the duration by two more years. Whole lineages can be cursed in such a way where multiple people are cursed at once and children they bear befall the same fate; a group of five necromancers can come together to conduct a ritual to gift the lifeforce of four to one who may engineer the curse. MArts may be applied to for more creative curses. A curse is set on an individual much like an affliction, though Its purposes are more specifically destructive. The Necromancer pools lifeforce within his hand and must maintain contact with the victim (Contact must be made but it is possible through clothing/armor) for at least 2 emotes in order to instill the curse, unlike afflictions however this process is agonizing and some time must be given to the necromancer to twist awake a soulshadow within the victim and manipulate it into a dark purpose. Curses differ from afflictions in their diversity, causing a mystical blindness, impotence,  it may instill an urge to throw oneself off high places, or attack human children. Rather than cause disease-like growths, it can make one's glands swell and give them a half-bloated, malformed head.

Straight away I can see these additions:

Previously: 

A curse is set on an individual in a similar method to soul puppetry

Now:

A curse is set on an individual much like an affliction,

You've removed the similar factor to soul puppetry. Although the curses still range to the same affect, I understand that the necromancers have been able to curse prior to this, in fact here's a quote:

Curses

Necromancers are capable of placing terrible curses on their victims.  Contrary to most folklore that describes witches and warlocks placing dark, unfathomable hexes on individuals these type of curses are more natural and physical. The Necromancer targets a specific area of the victim’s body and a curse that represents the functions of it.  The way this works is by having the Necromancer create a tether to a specific body part and rather than draining the life-force, distort it and disrupt it, and with that leave his own imprint - his own curse. Physical contact with the body part in question will work just the same.  

The content of these curses is usually thematic in a way that negatively impacts the victim.  For example, cursing one’s mind may leave them prone to episodes of memory loss, leaving them addled or slow thinking, sapping their creativity or their ability to mathematically solve problems.  Whereas cursing someone’s heart may leave them vulnerable to fatigue and weakness, or a curse on their stomach causing them to lust for mortal flesh.  The idea is that you remain creative with these curses whilst also respecting the boundaries of other players.

These curses are not permanent but they should last a considerable amount of time so that they actually do become a hinderance.  If someone wants cured of the curse, they should find a druid or a priest.  You have the ability to construct really nasty and even deadly curses, but should you be at all interrupted in the time it takes you to form a curse, you will fail.

The first thing I should point out here is something i've been told by Caleb(FlamboyantPizza(?)) is that memory type curses are something he doesn't wish which is why in the clarifications of soul puppetry I needed to include:

Due to soul puppetry accessing into the target’s soul, specifically their soul blueprint, puppeteers are unable to modify things such as the mana pool, life-force, memories, or things of that nature.

As necromancers do use life-force take that off, but the others should remain defaulted. I believe this should be the same case for necromancy.

Now bringing my attention back to the main topic. I understand that you're trying to differentiate curses and the way they're performed. Though i'll like to see at least some guidelines in place, as what you've written doesn't give a stability of 'what we can and cannot do' more like 'what we have the potential to do', especially if you're raising the stakes of including other necromancers and assistance of artifacts for more 'creative curses' which also need to be specified.

-

Previously:

requiring an organic piece of material from the victim to be worked on such as a lock of hair, a vial of blood, a scrap of flesh, a bone, or the person themself."

Now:

The Necromancer pools lifeforce within his hand and must maintain contact with the victim (Contact must be made but it is possible through clothing/armor) for at least 2 emotes in order to instill the curse,

This is where I have most confusion of, you based it originally off soul puppetry gathering and then changed it to how it is in the current guide by touch. Anyway off that subject- in the guide it is clearly more explained on how this spell is created so I am wondering why you narrowed and shortened it. 

Off that subject, I like how the touch idea was put back into play but then the use of it not so much, within two emotes you're able to curse someone for 2 weeks+, you don't say if it requires a constant link within that timeframe of the curse, just two emotes and boom done. 

In my opinion this isn't the way to go, as I have had experiences with both witchdoctor and soul puppetry RP that just doing something like this is dull and somewhat boring between both parties without a conscientious planned prior to this event even occurring. It's more of an RP and somewhat of an OOC hindrance. As you say 'seek a healer' simplicity states, that isn't what the players would prefer. Something engaging and constant fun would be better.

Now to the curses themselves, you don't seem to RP any drawback besides a considerable amount of life-force lost, which is my eyes if you're inflicting a curse for someones head to abnormally grow, I would suggest otherwise and include more drawbacks. 

As i'll state, i'll personally prefer more differentiated curses possibly ones that help aid your own agenda of magic arsenal as I refereed above in my previous statement, a touch curse that when performed increases the distance you're able to create a life-drain tether. Though that's my personal opinion.

Curses differ from afflictions in their diversity, causing a mystical blindness, impotence,  it may instill an urge to throw oneself off high places, or attack human children. Rather than cause disease-like growths, it can make one's glands swell and give them a half-bloated, malformed head

If I can included here, dark-shamans have a possibility to inflict these types of curses on someone, being specific to 'attacking children'. Though as I don't actively know the lore don't quote me to harsh on this, i'll try to get a shaman on to reply.

-

for two years (two IRL weeks) unless the curse is aided by another necromancer, extending the duration by two more years.

Now to my last comment, these timeframes. I am confused why you believe two weeks to potentially four weeks would be fun for the player. I did suggest above on player satisfaction levels if you choose to read. 

Though what gets me is, shamanism can curse someone for 2 days. Soul Puppetry can curse someone for 1 week. Necromancy can do it in this addition to 4 weeks. I don't understand why you'll require such and believe it to be effective. You also don't state in neither the guide already up or this post how the curses work, are they instant where you can make someones head explode or do they gradually happen over the weeks cursed, getting worse and worse?

I'll personally like these time-frames to be changed to something significantly less and adding in more details of curse times and effects they can perform.

-

In conclusion. 

I recommend on taking a long look at the curse section of necromancy and try to revamp it. I understand you previously had it though, as we have two magics primarily working with curses it seems they're getting pushed aside, especially since necromancy can do so much already.

Second edit: 

Sorry to do this though after reading the.

"Thallassos" lore fully and having a brief look at the guide presented, the curses section they have beautifully outlines unique types of curses they can perform. If you wish to look into a reforming to make necromancer curses more unique I suggest having a look and working with adding your own touch like they have.

Thank you, <3

10 hours ago, Evocress said:

Ah, sorry if i've not seen that in any of the other necromancer lores. I guess I miss-read over it or something similar. Though if possible for the suggestion I put in to make it cursing something different apart from what Witchdoctors and Soul Puppeteers can already do, I made a suggestion at the bottom of my post on how this can be achieved. Though if you have another idea i'm all ears for it.

I can provide some insight if you wish to hear, just shoot me a message.

Edit:

As I won't double post, i'll add in that the new additions that I see are somwhat the same if not just made more over-baring. I'll explain.

You previously had this:

and now, this.

Straight away I can see these additions:

You've removed the similar factor to soul puppetry. Although the curses still range to the same affect, I understand that the necromancers have been able to curse prior to this, in fact here's a quote:

The first thing I should point out here is something i've been told by Caleb(FlamboyantPizza(?)) is that memory type curses are something he doesn't wish which is why in the clarifications of soul puppetry I needed to include:

As necromancers do use life-force take that off, but the others should remain defaulted. I believe this should be the same case for necromancy.

Now bringing my attention back to the main topic. I understand that you're trying to differentiate curses and the way they're performed. Though i'll like to see at least some guidelines in place, as what you've written doesn't give a stability of 'what we can and cannot do' more like 'what we have the potential to do', especially if you're raising the stakes of including other necromancers and assistance of artifacts for more 'creative curses' which also need to be specified.

-

This is where I have most confusion of, you based it originally off soul puppetry gathering and then changed it to how it is in the current guide by touch. Anyway off that subject- in the guide it is clearly more explained on how this spell is created so I am wondering why you narrowed and shortened it. 

Off that subject, I like how the touch idea was put back into play but then the use of it not so much, within two emotes you're able to curse someone for 2 weeks+, you don't say if it requires a constant link within that timeframe of the curse, just two emotes and boom done. 

In my opinion this isn't the way to go, as I have had experiences with both witchdoctor and soul puppetry RP that just doing something like this is dull and somewhat boring between both parties without a conscientious planned prior to this event even occurring. It's more of an RP and somewhat of an OOC hindrance. As you say 'seek a healer' simplicity states, that isn't what the players would prefer. Something engaging and constant fun would be better.

Now to the curses themselves, you don't seem to RP any drawback besides a considerable amount of life-force lost, which is my eyes if you're inflicting a curse for someones head to abnormally grow, I would suggest otherwise and include more drawbacks. 

As i'll state, i'll personally prefer more differentiated curses possibly ones that help aid your own agenda of magic arsenal as I refereed above in my previous statement, a touch curse that when performed increases the distance you're able to create a life-drain tether. Though that's my personal opinion.

If I can included here, dark-shamans have a possibility to inflict these types of curses on someone, being specific to 'attacking children'. Though as I don't actively know the lore don't quote me to harsh on this, i'll try to get a shaman on to reply.

-

Now to my last comment, these timeframes. I am confused why you believe two weeks to potentially four weeks would be fun for the player. I did suggest above on player satisfaction levels if you choose to read. 

Though what gets me is, shamanism can curse someone for 2 days. Soul Puppetry can curse someone for 1 week. Necromancy can do it in this addition to 4 weeks. I don't understand why you'll require such and believe it to be effective. You also don't state in neither the guide already up or this post how the curses work, are they instant where you can make someones head explode or do they gradually happen over the weeks cursed, getting worse and worse?

I'll personally like these time-frames to be changed to something significantly less and adding in more details of curse times and effects they can perform.

-

In conclusion. 

I recommend on taking a long look at the curse section of necromancy and try to revamp it. I understand you previously had it though as we have two magics primarily working with curses it seems they're getting pushed aside especially since necromancy can do so much already.

yes

Thank you for submitting your piece! Unfortunately, between having a project concerning 6.0, evaluating the lore trials, and focusing on clearing out the pending lore, the team will be unable to have a loremag completed within a week. This will be put under review and a verdict will be given around the 29th (roughly 2 weeks from now). I apologize for the inconvenience.