[Shelved][✓] The Resonant Knights of the Abyss [+ Final Wraith Rewrite]

Swgrclan

25 minutes ago, zzaacchhss said:

Uhhhh, Soul fire targets the soul, meaning any impurities withing said soul will be attacked until ended or squelched by dark magic of course. Im fairly certain on it

It does, but the reinforcement of an Abyss Knight's soul resists it in a much more substantial way than any other soul twisted by dark magic. Can't be making exceptions.

25 minutes ago, Lark said:

Gave it another read over cus I was curious.

• Turns a character into "Half-Undead", which enables them to feel pain from holy magic being used upon them, but not substantially damaged.

How is this a weakness and what do you mean, "they feel pain but not substantially damaged" to put it in pokemon terms, is it normally effective, as in it will definitely do damage to them but it won't make their souls nice and crispy after a holy magic user touches them

It means that the equivalent amount of damage dealt to regular mortal people with holy magic is shared by Abyss Knights, but the only difference is that they feel more defined pain from it. If a normal guy was bathed in holy fire, he would both feel nothing and take no damage; but if an Abyss Knight was bathed in holy fire, they would feel pain from it, but take no damage.

1 minute ago, Swgrclan said:

Can't be making exceptions.

But, the knights soul resisting the fire is an exception....

Just now, zzaacchhss said:

But, the knights soul resisting the fire is an exception....

Exceptions as in exceptions to what kind of holy magic they resist. If they could resist the power of Clerics and Paladins, but for some reason couldn't resist Ascended magic, that would break down the purpose of being an Abyss Knight. If you choose to be an Abyss Knight, you're able to resist these kinds of magic types, so they resist them all across the board.

But it still doesnt make lore sense, you cant just throw holy damage into one group because they all have different purposes and ways of attacking the thing that is considered taint. also why do they resist holy magics more than other things?

6 minutes ago, zzaacchhss said:

But it still doesnt make lore sense, you cant just throw holy damage into one group because they all have different purposes and ways of attacking the thing that is considered taint. also why do they resist holy magics more than other things?

I can throw holy damage into one group because they all exist to do the same thing; kill unholy things. They draw their power from various holy-affiliated Aenguls that shape their magic in the same manner, and while Clerics and Paladins don't have holy magic that effects a dark being as spiritually as the Ascended do, they still reach the same result with their powers. The fact that an Abyss Knight has a far more resilient darkened soul is what allows them to resist Ascended magic as well as Clerical and Paladin magic. Despite this, however, Ascended magic functions in the same manner with them; they cast their soulfire on an Abyss Knight, it spots the evil dark stuff in their spirit, and then it encroaches. However, it causes no physical damage and only produces pain, making it ineffective. They also resist holy magic because that's what the lore is based around.

18 minutes ago, Swgrclan said:

I can throw holy damage into one group because they all exist to do the same thing; kill unholy things. They draw their power from various holy-affiliated Aenguls that shape their magic in the same manner, and while Clerics and Paladins don't have holy magic that effects a dark being as spiritually as the Ascended do, they still reach the same result with their powers. The fact that an Abyss Knight has a far more resilient darkened soul is what allows them to resist Ascended magic as well as Clerical and Paladin magic. Despite this, however, Ascended magic functions in the same manner with them; they cast their soulfire on an Abyss Knight, it spots the evil dark stuff in their spirit, and then it encroaches. However, it causes no physical damage and only produces pain, making it ineffective. They also resist holy magic because that's what the lore is based around.

we have two types of soulfire, one for physical taint and the other for taint in the soul.

6 minutes ago, zzaacchhss said:

we have two types of soulfire, one for physical taint and the other for taint in the soul.

cool story bro

10 minutes ago, zzaacchhss said:

You're ignoring the fact these aren't tainted souls, nor undead, nor naturally inclined to be evil in any shape or form. Your soul is much like an average Descendant, except it's half damned you could say, THUS WHY IT HURTS, though it doesn't just obliterate an Abyss Knight. The pseudo undeath, even if it was "tainted" like how you'd put it would still combat Ascended magic because through taking a Shadow Soul the soul becomes "darkened", however it becomes saturated with stagnant lifeforces that combats against all deity magic, so even soul warping magics would have difficulty bypassing their heavily stagnant lifeforce, which being the heaviest thing of a knight would seep far into their visages.  

Absolutely phenomenal lore. I'm in love with the idea of having a physical combat dark magic caster.

1 hour ago, Swgrclan said:

If it only produces pain, and we all know the majority of the server knows how to roleplay pain well, I think the weakness should be changed to something more tangible. To say that while it pains them and nothing else seems kinda invalidating to holy magic users, doesn't it?

They are a really cool concept but they seem a tad strong against...everything. 

Just now, Lark said:

If it only produces pain, and we all know the majority of the server knows how to roleplay pain well, I think the weakness should be changed to something more tangible. To say that while it pains them and nothing else seems kinda invalidating to holy magic users, doesn't it?

They are a really cool concept but they seem a tad strong against...everything. 

Well... no, they aren't strong against everything, because they're still alive. And they can't have a weakness against holy magic because they're designed to be resistant against it. I wouldn't call it invalidation. It's just how they function. They have to resort to more conventional means, like trying to kill them with mundane weaponry (iron, steel, etcetera).

1 minute ago, Swgrclan said:

Well... no, they aren't strong against everything, because they're still alive. And they can't have a weakness against holy magic because they're designed to be resistant against it. I wouldn't call it invalidation. It's just how they function. They have to resort to more conventional means, like trying to kill them with mundane weaponry (iron, steel, etcetera).

Ah okay, I misunderstood. I wasn't trying to propose they become weak to holy magic, I was just trying to wrap my head around their concept and understanding how you fight these things. In that case, bring on the blackguards.

Just now, Lark said:

Ah okay, I misunderstood. I wasn't trying to propose they become weak to holy magic, I was just trying to wrap my head around their concept and understanding how you fight these things. In that case, bring on the blackguards.

Aahh, yeah. The Half-Undeath thing makes it kind of vague whether or not they're Darkstalker-tier entities or not. They're on the same level as normal people and deific magic users, though, meaning they're vulnerable to everything they are. Cheers for the feedback.

Question:

Given the nature of Wraiths being masters of the Dark Arts, they obviously still retain aurum and Holy Magic weaknesses, but if a Wraith is a Shade does that interfere with the nature of the Resonant boon?

1 minute ago, John Wick said:

Question:

Given the nature of Wraiths being masters of the Dark Arts, they obviously still retain aurum and Holy Magic weaknesses, but if a Wraith is a Shade does that interfere with the nature of the Resonant boon?

Shade and SotA powers do not conflict, no.