Sign in to follow this  
hamberder

[Completed] political correctness

Is it a disease of the mind, or are you in favor of it?

Educate yourselves. :)

Hmm Bill Maher no thanks I'm just gonna keep voting republican lets get some more trumps as president ;)

People scapegoat pc as a whole. Obviously, we need some of it and we've been using it our whole lives. In moderation, it's politeness. I think however, when folks lose their careers over opinions is generally where I draw the line.

Although I have almost the same opinion as zaezae, I'll elaborate a little bit.

The definition of the term 'political correctness' is... pretty weak. And malleable to say the least. But in it's more mundane forms it's not so much of a bad thing. Being on high alert to opinions of others that you think are bigoted/harmful is important if your goal is to try and challenge them. 

However, once it gets to the point where you're advocating for the legislation of 'non-pc' beliefs, things get ******* tricky. Sure, morally speaking it may be objectively 'right' to shut down the free expression of those more bigoted individuals (the existence of objective morality is a pretty hot topic in and of itself) since they may serve to cause suffering or damage society alone. Especially if they later spurr action on those beliefs. But legislating *against* beliefs, instead of trying to teach our new generations differently, gives the government a pretty dangerous weapon. I mean, imagine if the current office in the US had that kind of power and what'd be done with it.  

Not only that but the suppression of beliefs doesn't serve to get rid of them. Imagine how much more right you'd feel if the government kept trying to supress your expression of your beliefs by force instead of argument or education.  This is the kind of thing that's happened to liberal beliefs... throughout history. And they never disappeared, just festered until they can manifest themselves in society in a meaningful way later. If they're never properly addressed on a large scale, it seems like they won't be until it's too late. 

Edited by Joe_LeeDoktor

political correctness in what scenario? because this is a pretty damn vague 'debate' to say the least. i hate it when the line is crossed of turning into thought police.

Politeness, respect and decency =/= Political correctness

Politeness and decency has no consequence. Political correctness leads to this:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/newcastle-sex-ring-child-abuse-racist-rotherham-mp-sarah-champion-labour-asian-gang-community-a7885486.html

That monstrosity is just the tip of the spear unfortunately. Ironically enough, politically correct people are rarely polite, respectful or decent. They're just pricks

Political correctness has been proven to improve the lives of the left, and trivialise the actions of the right. If you think of incidents of sexism - it is technically correct to say that both of the sexes are not equal in biology, and therefore society has been constructed (not primarily, it was built on sexism) to be representative of the physiology of males and females. Yet, political correctness would have you believe that both sexes (and all of the current genders...) should be equal in statistics of payment and of social norms.

This sways me to think that political correctness is quite detrimental to society as we know it, and allowing it to flourish in the guise of social justice would really have a negative impact on how we behave. We'll end up policing our language to a point of disaster. I'll probably be lynched for not saying they/them to a non-binary presenting person soon enough.