iMattyz

Slashing nations in 6.0

Just now, char-char~ said:

ngl, I had serious issues with the way courland was managed, but that's not the thread topic

what's more important is that this cottage industry of producing child e-soldiers in exchange for titles and land is bad for player retention and roleplay. not even you can argue against that. 

yeah i agree, u were just blaming vege for issues that weren't his fault

Four things give the average player worth on LotC; RP skill, PVP skill, profession levels and rallying ability, though only one of these usually leads easily to others. If you can rally lots of people, you have more professions, PVPers and RPers at your beck and call. So when it's all a massive **** measuring contest, being able to get another 5 guys but having to give out a keep is understandable, if a bad call; it's give out some land or lose it all.

Late to the party. 

I'm pretty sure it's fairly obvious by this stage that the server will just continue down ****creek if there isn't some form of OOC crackdown on this, as unpopular as it will be and as pissy as it'll make people. The server simply can't sustain everyone and their uncle having a regioned fortress of their own -- it's basic logic. The issues with roleplay concentration stem from both the regioned nature of our previous maps and also the extent of settlement on them. A system of controlled freebuild, which I've advocated and argued for in previous threads on this matter, combined with the shrinking of 'official' (aka regioned) nations to one per main race and small villages for Halflings and Kha. Each nation should be granted one region from the outset and then allowed a couple more for their other settlements as it is proved that they have the population to sustain them without it being to the detriment of others. Other nations need to be left in the wilderness until as successful map then improves player retention and consequently player numbers when we can then consider allowing them to have a substandard system of regioning.

For clarity, this isn't via any system of land charters (boke) or some form of application on the forums like we endured in Asulon (or Anthos, whichever it was). Rather, an informal process which is dealt with via the staff team and dealt with via cold hard player numbers instead of the pleas of the residents. This removes the sense of entitlement for regions which we've been cursed with since and enables us to ensure that regions are done in a way which improves the majority experience and doesn't act in a detrimental way to the wider server.

We can't have nice things if we don't have a playerbase to have those nice things. The culling of nations and regioned settlements is the only way to ensure the coming map provides concentrated roleplay which can then dynamically evolve as we have an increased playerbase, but not until that occurs.

I know the staff have already granted land to nations, hopefully within reasonable distance and in line with what the server actually requires, and I'm fairly certain (and I pray to god) that number of nations does not number any more than 4. As unpopular as things like this may be, it's simply tough crap -- the server's success and growth must come before anyone's ego and roleplay will just have to adapt to that. A shrinking, dwindling playerbase can not be sustained; a thriving, growing one can. Sometimes OOC action must be justified by the needs of the server rather than the sense of the roleplay, especially when it's as serious an issue as this.

"What holds true for the individual holds true for a society. It is never static; if it does not grow, it decays; if it does not transcend the status quo for the better, it changes for the worse. Often we, the individual or the people who make up a society, have the illusion we could stand still and not alter the given situation in the one or the other direction. This is one of the most dangerous illusions. The moment we stand still, we begin to decay." - Eric Fromm

This defines how this server thinks and how nations work, and why changing the map design as we have done the last few maps has never truly changed anything more often then not resulting in a small player base for a good length of time, because we never truly change the map. Changing up nations so we don't repeat the same mistakes we have the last couple maps would at least be a few steps in the right direction, and we have miles to walk.

On 7/29/2017 at 11:36 AM, overlord2305 said:

Aslong as metaland gets scrapped in the process I'm in favor

66cf965dcbba79c7ceef9e94d22597c0.png

Just my thoughts

1. Oocly disallow nobles from making a stagnant little town halfway across the world. 

- I mean, come on. What is House Stafyr again? I'm always around Alban and Adelburg and never once have I seen them. There are probably eighty noble houses I don't know about because they're all holed up in their keeps.

- Give them a manor in the city. A street district they can tax. They don't need cute little levies. The Legion system fixed this for a time, but obviously that's gone.

- Better yet, purge the nobles. Why is the king rply okay with these things? One of his houses just framed one of his knights for murder and kill his Seneschal. Literally all they do is rebel and shove peasants around- they don't contribute. Strip them of their titles, really.

2. If a racial capital is inactive, said the axe down or consolidate them into one.

- Haria. Linandria. Ker'nor. Halfings (sorry, love your rp when I actually get it.) Dwarves. Whenever I go to these places, I'm greated with a generally sprawling town, but no one in it. Every burrow, apartment, whatever is empty.

- But you guys seem pretty reluctant to kill them. You realize they can start again, right? Move around or go with another nation in order to bolster an active populace? It's not the end of that race, it's just a new obstacle to overcome so long as it's kept irp.

3. And finally, stop designating areas for the races pre-map release. Goddamn.

- This shouldn't be pick your go-kart. Everyone is released from their boats. Everyone scrambles to explore the area and find land. Maybe they don't even start as seperate nations, but are forced to begin together on the new map as they map the area of the hostile continent and fight natives off. That'd be some good rp if done right.

- They have to rp actually building the nation. Don't let them grab LC right off the bat to form their giant walls, terraform an island in the middle of a lake, and create a fully functioning shipyard. Disable LC at least for the first month. And don't give me "oh it costs a lot of mina, hard to get." No. A nation can easily get enough, namely dwed with their miners and Oren with their massive population. Alban is a very nice size for a city to potentially start out, and it's realistic. Just do that, please.

P.S. I really enjoy the idea of strategic resources someone else pointed out. +1