[Shelved]Bûrgul’shon - Dark Elven Lataumancy

Smaw

24 minutes ago, Honor said:

If you think I cared what people thought of me I'd post all these rude comments?

Yeah, nothing is being stolen though. Considering there were more Dark Elven Latauman than Orcs, it stands to reason that they would have established more of a foothold than you anyway. At least in this scenario, they've lost the ability to access Orcish blessings and must instead rely on their own Ancestors and their own, separate realm.

The Mali'ker were quite literally shaped by the Spirits, so to argue that they don't deserve a semblance of Shamanism, or their own Spiritual aspect is purely selfish reasoning. 

You have as much the ability to reform and grow Shamanism as you've always had, but no one apparently wants to put in the effort. I was asked to write this because they were lacking in lore; something the Orcs have never actually had an issue with. The resource has always been there to use, but seldom does anyone really use it properly.

What is the point of having a Magic if you're not actually going to use it for anything significant, or even to create progressive RP? Believe me, I'm more than willing to help the Orcs (still, despite everything and how much effort I've already put in), but I need ideas and people that are willing to actually go through with it.

Just message me and tell me what you want/need/or think needs changing. I'm not the bad guy here; never have been.

Alright, you win. I've just been salty the way parts of our culture have kind of being taken, and the way you handled it by making a bunch of statuses and so. 

7 minutes ago, Smaw said:

You have as much the ability to reform and grow Shamanism as you've always had

Another thing, we don't. The last members of Farseer have left and we've been denied the chance to reform it. (from LT.)

Heck, we even have some issues with our ET/LT, but I won't list that here.

8 minutes ago, Honor said:

Alright, you win. I've just been salty the way parts of our culture have kind of being taken, and the way you handled it by making a bunch of statuses and so. 

Another thing, we don't. The last members of Farseer have left and we've been denied the chance to reform it. (from LT.)

Heck, we even have some issues with our ET/LT, but I won't list that here.

Mostly because of the bullshit hiatus forced on the entirety of Shamanism while it was under review. From personal experience, you need to pester them every day from multiple sources until they actually decide to do something; as irritating at it is.

Just now, Smaw said:

Mostly because of the bullshit hiatus forced on the entirety of Shamanism while it was under review. From personal experience, you need to pester them every day from multiple sources until they actually decide to do something; as irritating at it is.

Yeah, I wish it hadn't been so.

2 hours ago, Honor said:

Well, to be honest. Orcs value all things natural. Elves don't. Our culture is being stolen here, and we can't simply change our culture to be more like other races because then there's even less reason to play Orcs. Elves on the other hand, can learn voidal magics, druidism, shamanism, rune smithing, flesh smithing and all the rest. We have a culture dedicated to Spirituality. The problem here is that everyone wants to be an elf, because you're immortal, pretty, fast and have a big playerbase.

Actually, no, it really depends on the subrace.

Wood elves have no such freedom. The culture is very conservative and traditionalist, values nature above all and worship of the aspects above all. Any magics besides druidism (and in some cases holy magics) are looked down on. Especially voidal magics. Our culture is 100% completely dedicated to druidic aligned teachings.

Building our culture was hard. Why? Because every other race had access to druidism and had it for years. So, what makes the wood elves so special if every other race has it? Why should I play a wood elf for druidism when I could play any other race to get druidism?

Simple.

We made our druidic culture unique. We differentiated it from everyone else. We tied it into our playerbases other institutions. We made being a wood elf druidic priest something meaningful IRP.

The fact that every other race could also learn druidism was never an issue for us.

The orcs can do the same with shamanism. The dark elves having shamanism wont hurt you if you put enough work and effort into making orcish shamanism unique, and have weight in roleplay. Insisting OOCly that no one else can have it but you is not necessary, it is a crutch. You dont need it.

1 hour ago, 吳憾戰士14 said:

Actually, no, it really depends on the subrace.

Wood elves have no such freedom. The culture is very conservative and traditionalist, values nature above all and worship of the aspects above all. Any magics besides druidism (and in some cases holy magics) are looked down on. Especially voidal magics. Our culture is 100% completely dedicated to druidic aligned teachings.

Building our culture was hard. Why? Because every other race had access to druidism and had it for years. So, what makes the wood elves so special if every other race has it? Why should I play a wood elf for druidism when I could play any other race to get druidism?

Simple.

We made our druidic culture unique. We differentiated it from everyone else. We tied it into our playerbases other institutions. We made being a wood elf druidic priest something meaningful IRP.

The fact that every other race could also learn druidism was never an issue for us.

The orcs can do the same with shamanism. The dark elves having shamanism wont hurt you if you put enough work and effort into making orcish shamanism unique, and have weight in roleplay. Insisting OOCly that no one else can have it but you is not necessary, it is a crutch. You dont need it.

All right, thanks for the criticism/advice. I'll try and talk with the other shamans to find some ways to spice Shamanism up if this gets accepted.

Edited by Honor

why not have dark elven lautamancy like creator clerics or non-tah clericlism where it does the exact same thing and is tecgnically the same magic just religiously different.

10 hours ago, Hedge said:
13 hours ago, 吳憾戰士14 said:

What's stopping you from learning void magic on an orc character?

The exact same social reasons why a woodelf wouldn't. it's taboo and whitewashable.

Not to mention that since these Spirits are deities of a different realm they have personalities and characteristics and VERY much despise void magic or most other magic for that matter.

3 hours ago, Honor said:

I'll try and talk with the other shamans to find some ways to spice Shamanism up if this gets accepted.

Why does this even matter if it gets accepted?

Its not orcish shamanism, its legitimately a seperate thing to allow orcs more dominance over the current subtypes of Shamanism than us.

If anything, I would recommend you to write out events, or changes regardless of what the dark elves do with their worship!

If you need help, I wouldn't mind running through some ideas with you, I mean, I was part of the Farseer re-writes  and know a bit about stuff if you need help with event ideas or whatever.

46 minutes ago, Humanistic said:

Not to mention that since these Spirits are deities of a different realm they have personalities and characteristics and VERY much despise void magic or most other magic for that matter.

What about the Spirit of the Void?

Edit: Just trolling.

Edited by Smaw

Allright! I'm going to explain why this new magic would absolutely not being taking away from orcish culture.

1.) The dark elven form of worship and perspective is more akin to Shintoism while the Orcish sort is highly variant between the clans and who the current Rex is.

2.) Dark elves are locked to Luara and Kruul, while Orcs still have the free range of use of all spirits. This point might actually explain 1.

3.) It in no way hinders orcs from doing what they want. The only way this lore could infringe on people's rp is if this lore is denied.

As for the current difficulties that are currently being faced with the orcish playerbase, the dark elven playerbase went through the same. We went through the trouble of creating cultural lore, historical lore, and even an entirely new sub-sect of magic to get our **** together. We still don't even know if all our effort will even be worth it, so don't shut us down because you guys haven't been able to pull off the same.

Thank you for submitting your piece! This is now under review and you can expect a verdict in roughly a week.

I just want to say that I approve of this branch of Shamanism because it is different from the Orcish version of shamanism and thus means that instead of getting a carbon copy of Shamanism in both cultures, this means we have two different forms of Shamanism at play. It might actually be even to a slight degree a cultural diffusion and divert RP that would otherwise go to the Orcs to the Dark Elves, however if we vary the two branches of Shamanism (eventually to the point to whence they are two nearly separate entities) it might actually offer, instead of two ways of getting the same thing, two things that are entirely different and rather cool in their own respects.

@Honor

I'm interested to see the LM's verdict on this, but I just wanted to get my 2 cents in before the verdict went either way and became official.

On 8/7/2017 at 9:14 PM, Humanistic said:

Most spirits don't care about void magic. A small minority are very much all for it (because it relates to their aspects), and another small minority do despise it (because it opposes their aspects). Same applies for a lot of other non-spooky, non-deity magics. 

+1 from me. Dark Elves have had lutaumancy for some time and this clarifies and expands their variant on it to make it more unique and idiosyncratic to Delves.

2 minutes ago, hellfiazz said:

Most spirits don't care about void magic. A small minority are very much all for it (because it relates to their aspects), and another small minority do despise it (because it opposes their aspects). Same applies for a lot of other non-spooky, non-deity magics. 

+1 from me. Dark Elves have had lutaumancy for some time and this clarifies and expands their variant on it to make it more unique and idiosyncratic to Delves.

For the most part, Deities that aren't of that aspect don't like voidal magic because it's literally nothing. At least Deity powers come from Spirits themselves rather than manipulating something that isn't there. In that case it'd be a VERY small minority of Spirits under the majority. Personally, I don't see any reason why Lataumancy (or any sub-type for that matter) needs any more clarification to make it more unique than it already is. Speaking to the dead is a grand power in itself but for some reason others strive to produce new and more advanced magics that are based off the core magics.

There needs to also be consideration of where Shamanism lies currently in its sad state, there are very few shamans probably less than their dark shaman counterparts but Farseeing and Lataumancy are lacking greatly in the nation which are practically the guiding sub-types of the Orcish Culture. Rationally speaking, I don't see any reason for new additions and sub-types to a magic type that is already lacking within it's main and most influential sub-types.